PDA

View Full Version : Where to advertise Altitude?

skywalker
05-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Tell us where to spread the word, and we will do it, master.

No but really, what are some good ideas for places to put Altitude, either in the internet or in RL?

Here are 2 ideas I have...
1: Every internet forum that you visit
2: At your school/work

I can't advertise well at school because everyone (yes 100%) uses school-issued Macbooks that don't allow you to install software on them (.dmg files can't be run, if someone can find a way around this, cool). But you should definitely burn the demo onto CD's and give them to people...or just tell them about the website. Oh and I am going to post this on every internet forum I check often, you should too. It's easy, write one message and copy paste it onto all your forums.

****EDIT BY KARL****
MAKE ALL LINKS TO:
http://altitudegame.com
http://altitudegame.com/forums
http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki

Do not use the nimblygames url. It's way better for google page rank and for users!

lamster
05-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. Definitely tell your friends at work/school -- give them the link, http://altitudegame.com, or even just tell them "altitude is an awesome game, you should try it" -- they should be able to google it from there.

Forums are a great idea too -- don't spam it to random forums, but definitely consider posting to any forum you frequently visit. Try to personalize your post a bit by including a few things you really like about the game, or why you think that community might like it, so they don't think it's a spam bot.

As far as installing on Macs without dmg rights goes, does this installer work?
http://installer.altitudegame.com/0.0.1/altitude.tgz
It's just a zip; you should be able to drag the application directory out to your personal directory and run it from there.

skywalker
05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I did that installer, double clicked on altitude (the application), it says altitude is not on the list of allowed applications, any way around this?

i asked some people at my school too

Vi*
05-04-2009, 02:51 AM
Don't forget to post about it on your facebook! Let your friends see an interesting link in your status. I did this.

If you have a blog, post a review or something, and don't forget to include a pretty picture from the press kit. I did this too!

If you're into forums, that's good. Should link to the cool streamed game that the TL guys did-- I think that's an easy way to see what the game's all about.

The most direct influence, though, is getting your friends to download the demo and play with you. And then getting them to be competitive enough that you can convince them to buy it.

Gigaknight
05-05-2009, 05:58 AM
New member here!

ya'll should contact kotaku.com and maybe the guys at G4TV's Attack of the show. U guys already have the gamer background, it's time for you to use it to your advantage! You know what, i'll contact the guys at kotaku.com, hopefully they will listen, but if I fail, you must get them to listen!

DiogenesDog
05-05-2009, 08:33 AM
nice name. PBF was so good. :)

Gigaknight
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
nice name. PBF was so good. :)

PBF? Well, my name is actually a mix of Metaknight from Kirby, and Gigabyte from Reboot the cartoon series. I'm guessing it's all just a coincidence. :)

DiogenesDog
05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Fine, then you're a worthless piece of **** and I hate you.

Vi*
05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
PBF? Well, my name is actually a mix of Metaknight from Kirby, and Gigabyte from Reboot the cartoon series. I'm guessing it's all just a coincidence. :)
Uh oh. The Gigaknight name is trademarked, if I remember correctly. You'd better watch out.

Edit: Actually I'm just going to put you out of your misery: http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF155-Gigaknight.jpg

Thanks for contacting Kotaku; I hope they listen =]
And don't mind Dio, he's just bitter about PBF. Welcome to the community!

Gigaknight
05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't worry, i'm not mad at all, there's no need of me to waste enery to get mad over something a person typed. They are just words, and words only hurt if you allow them to. I'm just here to type to others who enjoy the game as much as I do. I don't want to stir up any trouble at all.

Triped
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't worry, i'm not mad at all, there's no need of me to waste enery to get mad over something a person typed. They are just words, and words only hurt if you allow them to. I'm just here to type to others who enjoy the game as much as I do. I don't want to stir up any trouble at all.

He was just joking. He told me that he likes you. :)

chobopeon
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
dio is still furious at you. i recommend retaliating.

Gigaknight
05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
dio is still furious at you. i recommend retaliating.

Nope, not gonna do any of that. As I said before, i'm not gonna stir up any trouble. I apology to the guy if i have offended him.

Kuja900
05-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Someone should talk to the people at gamefaqs about getting altitude a forum over there, also someone should make a thread over at escapistmagizine.com in their forums.

DiogenesDog
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
uh giga, everyone is just joking around.

chobopeon
05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
gamefaq and escapist are two really good recommendations. i'm not a regular poster in either of these communities - it would be great if one posted it. credibility/veteran status in a forum leads to more readers!

skywalker
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
make flyers and put them in the science/information technology areas in your school

cokane
05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
advertise on NH forum for sure, get a banner... eh!

chobopeon
05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
they all know about the game but why not i guess

Triped
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
make flyers and put them in the science/information technology areas in your school

Put them in the artsy areas, too.

Gigaknight
05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
uh giga, everyone is just joking around.

Well y**k fou sir! ;)

Ajplagge
05-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Is the advertising blitz going well? Any reviews or independent game competitions/awards coming up?

I know a lot of us would love to see the game succeed and would be willing to help get the game exposure in any way if it might make a difference....

So by all means let us know if we can help.

skywalker
05-06-2009, 04:50 AM
when we have enough funds we're getting the Altitude sign in Times Square put up, right?

lamster
05-06-2009, 05:45 AM
when we have enough funds we're getting the Altitude sign in Times Square put up, right?
when we have enough funds, for sure :D - skywalker, did you figure out how to get the Mac installer working?

Gigaknight
05-06-2009, 07:18 AM
I certainly hope they reply, and if they actually do. I hope it will be a good reply.(crosses fingers)

Karl
05-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm going to try to maintain the wiki page w/ press reviews but I could use some help:

http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Press

DiogenesDog
05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
guy at work sent me this... don't want to take the time at work to add it to wiki tho:
http://www.superlevel.de/spiele/altitude

TheCapedAvenger
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Das ist fantastisch ja!

Now we just have to get ryebone to advertise on a French site.

Vi*
05-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh, here's something EVERYONE can do to help: Play play play!

It really helps new people in deciding whether or not to buy the game if they see a large playerbase. So forget finals, and play altitude all day for the next few weeks. It would be a helpful and altruistic activity that you can feel good about every time you log another hour.

Triped
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd just like to say that the guys who play in the morning (CST) are really cool. Only 6-8 people on, but it's a tight group. Wake up earlier and check it out sometime.

skywalker
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, I got the Mac installer working...

Altitude fever is slowly spreading through Westside High School in Omaha, NE right now...
about 6 cases confirmed so far.
girls tell me it's "too complicated"

Carbon
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM

I showed some girls in my college course but they're more interested in Peggle (can't blame em, Peggle owns) and Pet Society on Facebook :/

Just stick to people interested in competative games, so FPS and RTS players. The learning curve is pretty steep considering how unforgiving collisions are, so I can see casual players being turned off especially since most players at the moment have been in the beta for a while and are good

Vi*
05-07-2009, 12:49 AM

I showed some girls in my college course but they're more interested in Peggle (can't blame em, Peggle owns) and Pet Society on Facebook :/

wtf, you guys need to hang out with some girls who don't suck.
Did you tell them there's a lot of in-game chatting and a close community of players? Did you tell them that Altitude players are disproportionally smart and cute?

nesnl
05-07-2009, 01:15 AM
wtf, you guys need to hang out with some girls who don't suck.
Did you tell them there's a lot of in-game chatting and a close community of players? Did you tell them that Altitude players are disproportionally smart and cute?

They won't care about "in-game chatting" unless it's about something like Twilight or the Jonas Brothers.

Also, when did you get the idea that girls cared about "smart" guys?

DiogenesDog
05-07-2009, 01:18 AM
What is it about Pillars and roommates that are bitter about women not appreciating their intelligence? :o

Pillars
05-07-2009, 04:13 AM
What is it about Pillars and roommates that are bitter about women not appreciating their intelligence? :o
You never flirted with me when we worked together. Why.

chobopeon
05-07-2009, 04:15 AM
nesl, would you like to get something off your chest?

nesnl
05-07-2009, 04:20 AM
nesl, would you like to get something off your chest?

Yes, mostly the hair.

-Maimer

Ajplagge
05-07-2009, 04:20 AM
roger

.... .... ....

Karl
05-07-2009, 05:15 AM
ack no!!! Link to:

http://altitudegame.com

Carbon
05-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I just found out that Penny Arcade has an indy game competition at PAX, I'm not sure if you've entered Altitude into it but you have until tomorrow to do so for PAX 2009

http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/pax10.php

edit: damn, it says games must be in beta, so it may be too late to register :(

Penny arcade might be a good forum to advertise on, as they seem to have a giant userbase

Karl
05-09-2009, 01:49 AM
we entered last year and this year.

Carbon
05-09-2009, 01:55 AM
cool, good to know that you guys submitted altitude there :)

nesnl
05-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Do you guys get feedback in terms of how many times it gets downloaded from apple.com/downloads?

Triped
05-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Do you guys get feedback in terms of how many times it gets downloaded from apple.com/downloads?

Which reminds me, if there is any way to make an Altitude iPhone app, it needs to happen ASAP. :O

chobopeon
05-09-2009, 02:52 PM
it would be 300% plane size constantly! or something like that.

DiogenesDog
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
htf would the controls work on iphone, though? :(

Triped
05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
htf would the controls work on iphone, though? :(

So easy. Hold at landscape orientation. Tilt left/right to turn. Tilt forward to accelerate, pull back to brake. Primary and alt fire for the thumbs on either side. Item right below one of them, and in one corner a menu button.

I can see it and it's beautiful; I just don't have any experience with the SDK. It would be wonderful, though.

AND I can promise you some attention from people who write about iPhones!

Edit: link to prove the sensor allows enough finesse. http://cinnamonthoughts.org/2007/08/29/iphone-tilt-sensor-used-in-games/

DiogenesDog
05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
hm, I'm skeptical that the turning/acceleration would feel good, but it'd still be interesting to see.

what I'd really love tho is for alt to get on xbla/psn/wiiware. :D

gumbyy
05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Review of Altitude I found: http://www.gametunnel.com/altitude-game-review.php

yankeeboy
05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
wooot, there i am in the picture getting the **** blown out of me
i've never been so proud

Johnny_Vegas
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Regarding Altitude on an iPhone. Has anyone played other iPhone games that allow for arcade style multiplayer? My concern would be that the iPhone perhaps has poor support for UDP, and if it does support UDP (which it might actually), then unlike a PC, I do not know if an iPhone can send UDP peer to peer. If it has to route everything through a central server, it would be too slow for a game like Altitude which requires low latency.

Regardless of the networking issues, the screen size on an iPhone, while impressive for a phone (my wife just got an iPhone it has a great display), is not going to be nearly as fun as playing it on a PC.

Lee
05-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Skywalker,

On where to spread the word...

I'd say get involved with valve.
If you can work out a nice deal they put you on steam.
That would be some nice coverage.

Otherwise why not try to bring Altitude out on xboxlive.
First time i saw this game i was like whooaaa this is a excellent arcade game.
And perfecty suited voor Live.

Greets,
Lee