PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Campers

Phill64
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who is noticing a growing number of bomb campers?

When I say bomb camper, I mean: someone doing a constant circle around the bomb until it spawns(no assistance with defending the base at all) and then is generally lousy at using the bomb anyway (respawning just to do it again and not get the hint to let a better player have a run)

Don't get me wrong, by all means circle the bomb a few times to grab it when it's just about to pop. But don't do it when it's not even visible, don't do it when there's an enemy onslaught, don't do it when you've had the bomb the past 5 runs and there's others clearly trying to grab it. And don't do it if you suck!

And if you are that guy (though I assume you're the type to not recognise it) try to just consider this.. if you've bomb runned several times in a row and failed, unless nobody else is grabbing for the bomb, don't try again! if you hit, great! do it again! but if you keep failing, share the attempts!

if (the one time in 20 that someone else actually got it) someone else got a hit in and you still haven't, let them have it again! (srsly: gee those 2 guys with 3 gold stripes who are trying to grab the bomb before me can't be trusted with it!)

That turned into more of a rant than I expected, but it really is quite annoying, creating long games where a short one shouldve been, and i've changed teams mid-game to avoid it at times, sadly a few times just to find both teams full of them, which case new server or quit.

Flame as much as you like. Just telling it how it is.

Triped
05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
A kind word followed by an insult followed by /vote playerkick usually fixes this.

gumbyy
05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I think that bomb camping is a phase that a lot of new players go through. Hopefully they'll grow out of it and realize that playing a balanced TBD (killing, guarding bomb runner, bombing occasionally) is much more enjoyable for everyone. I agree that it's frustrating when someone keeps picking up the bomb, failing, and coming back for more.

At least we can look forward to the day when they all quit bomb camping to ratio whore! ;)

Gumby
[V]
Lobstar

Carbon
05-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I understand their thinking though. New players don't get many kills and it may seem like getting 30xp in a single life is great! If I can keep doing that I'll be level 60 in no time, then I'll be able to beat everyone else!

Just say "hey, stop camping the bomb and defend the base" a few times and if they don't listen they obviously don't give a crap, so /votekick em. Most bomb campers probably think that they're helping the team, so use teamchat to let em know that they should try something else.

Blank
05-11-2009, 08:07 PM
bad players are bad.

Vi*
05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Remember that 'noob' doesn't just mean <insert player to make fun of>, but people who are actually new to the game. I find that friendly advice in response to amateur mistakes can do a lot to a) help them improve a bit, b) make them feel they are part of a friendly community, and c) make them call out things like "everyone kill Vi!" in an FFA.

A and B are, I think, pretty substantial factors in convincing someone to buy. C, especially if other noobs listen, can lead to spectacularly high kill ratios.

lamsbro
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
In my experience the bomb campers are usually new players who are interested in learning how the bomb works. They aren't trying to annoy you, they're just trying to learn the game (capey is the exception, he is trying to annoy you).

I always thought it'd be neat if after getting a couple kills you could land on the base and pick up a bomb. That would make bomb getting a function of fighting other planes as opposed to waiting for it to spawn and it would mean a good player could always get a bomb with a bit of fightingz.

iSam
05-12-2009, 01:56 AM
they just trying to get exp so they drive in circle and then they usally dont even get the bomb lol :D

gumbyy
05-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I always thought it'd be neat if after getting a couple kills you could land on the base and pick up a bomb. That would make bomb getting a function of fighting other planes as opposed to waiting for it to spawn and it would mean a good player could always get a bomb with a bit of fightingz.

Ooooooh. This is a really cool idea. If you had to get 5 kills before each bomb pick-up it would force people to fight if they want to bomb. I like it.

Carbon
05-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Ooooooh. This is a really cool idea. If you had to get 5 kills before each bomb pick-up it would force people to fight if they want to bomb. I like it.

as long as the bomb was still on a timer that would work out so people couldn't get 3 or 4 at once.

As long as the kills didn't reset on death I think that would work out alright. That could even be a new level type.

skywalker
05-12-2009, 05:13 AM
i think that if you show bomb-camping behavior as decided by the server/the game for too long, you should just force-suicide.

Phill64
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
i think that if you show bomb-camping behavior as decided by the server/the game for too long, you should just force-suicide.

That would rock.

Or just bans you from the bomb temporarily, circle it too many times u wont be able to pick it up for half a minute or so or something. Definately could be a programatic solution.

Of course maps where you actually need to obtain the bomb from the center don't have this problem. (thus shouldn't apply there)

DiogenesDog
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I am intrigued by LB's idea, but I worry that it makes bomb running exclusively the province of good dogfighters, which might be a bit of a pity.

At the least, I'd like it to keep track of kills over deaths. So maybe good dogfighters get MORE bombs per game, but they're not the only ones with them.

also worry about the potential this has for putting multiple bombs on screen at the same time.

hrm I dunno, I really want to try some variant of this but there are problems to work out.

Ajplagge
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
In my experience the bomb campers are usually new players who are interested in learning how the bomb works. They aren't trying to annoy you, they're just trying to learn the game (capey is the exception, he is trying to annoy you).

Whoa thats a cool idea, get 1 gold bar and pick up your bomb at the base. Get 3 gold bars and pick up your super bomb at the base. I like it. Sounds like a good edition to map maker!

Vi*
05-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Whoa thats a cool idea, get 1 gold bar and pick up your bomb at the base. Get 3 gold bars and pick up your super bomb at the base. I like it. Sounds like a good edition to map maker!
I like this variant because it adds the strategic element of deciding whether to wait and get super-bomb or not. The potential for team tactics such as letting a specific player steal your kills so that they can get the required bars is also intriguing. And imagine people getting gold bars in order to go on a bomb run, rather than avoiding it at all costs in order to stay alive.

Phill64
05-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't that just make whichever team is winning get further and further ahead tho?

I mean, say one team has 3 good killers, they get a bomb first, their bomb fails.. but takes out a mass of dudes.. thats more kills.. for a new bomb.

It would be good if collision detection of the bomb was dependant on bar (or exp in round).. I mean, when 3 people are overlapping the bomb when it spawns.. the highest collects it.

gumbyy
05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Camping is still a problem.

http://i42.tinypic.com/wjsz1u.png

Triped
05-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I've started loading explodet and shooting them.

I can't remember if rockets do friendly fire damage but they usually fly away. It's like brushing flies off a picnic.

gumbyy
05-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Haha it doesn't do damage to them but I wish there were a powerup that would let you kill all friendly teammates within a certain radius. Ok I don't wish that but it would be hilarious.

Phill64
05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I wish the game would imprint n00b! above ur plane in huge red letters if ur plane is circling the bomb too long :p hehe

nice screenshot lol, isn't it just terrific when half your team is doing it. :rolleyes:

TomBRowkaH
05-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I had a nightmare last night that looked a lot like your screenshot, gumby. They need to be stopped. Sometimes if I see a bunch of newbs camping the bomb, I will join them. When in Rome...

Also on the rise are players whose only goal is to kill every turret on the map, although this is more amusing than annoying.

Blank
05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I had a nightmare last night that looked a lot like your screenshot, gumby. They need to be stopped. Sometimes if I see a bunch of newbs camping the bomb, I will join them. When in Rome...

Also on the rise are players whose only goal is to kill every turret on the map, although this is more amusing than annoying.

I'm actually starting to like players who kill turrets, because it allows me to go right into the enemies base and pick off players who run away much easier.

Still completely worthless (95% of the time) if you're actually trying to "win" a TBD... but for chasing down bar hoarders? Pure bliss.

gumbyy
05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Oh man, turret killers are the worst. They are so single-minded it's almost admirable but their confusion at why they keep losing games is priceless...

Come on guys, if we just kill more turrets we'll win!

jeppew
05-26-2009, 12:48 AM
atleast they have the right spirit, they're doing something they think is contributing to the team.

edit: the turret killers that is, i don't think the bomb campers want anything but XP.

tyr
05-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Really ?
Were we dumb as well when we were level 20 ? I mean .. for me it was only like 2 months ago but i dont remember doing that.

As for the turret killers, I like proving that they are almost useless by carying the bomb through all turrets if I can, doesnt work out every time but its kinda fun.

Johnny_Vegas
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Just a note about team chatting to tell new players not to bomb camp. They may have chat turned off, like I do for my 8 year old who plays. I am considering turning it on with the swear filter though.

My son naturally just doesn't "bomb camp". I think he just picks up the bomb sometimes if when he spawns, it happens to be there.

One of the few times I saw him with the bomb was yesterday, and he successfully finished off the enemy base with it. I gotta tell ya, I was a proud father at that moment. =)

Triped
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Haha. That's pretty good!

Phill64
05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
hehe, what's funny about that is, I go and kill turrets because it's only campers who will get the bomb and have no hope of getting through otherwise. so the rise in people who only attack turrets could also be due to this.

Pestilence
06-01-2009, 05:45 AM
If you're annoyed by bomb camping you could always pull out a biplane and machine gun hover on the spawn. It really, truly annoys the new players who have to make inelegant loops and can steal their fun a fair percentage of the time. It also encourages them to purchase the game so they can maximize their camping efficiency.

Win and win.

DevilsAdvocat
06-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Public service announcement:
All towers on the back wall of a map are not, i repeat, not worth spending the entire game trying (and often failing) to kill.
Thank you

edit: apparently i cant caps lock an entire post >>

Triped
06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
edit: apparently i cant caps lock an entire post >>

Thank God.

DiogenesDog
06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
AGREED. ONLY A COMPLETE JACKASS WOULD WANT TO CAPSLOCK AN _ENTIRE_ POST. YOU'D HAVE TO BE A BIG JERKFACE TO DO THAT.i