PDA

View Full Version : SkyLeague 3 Format Discussion

shrode
09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
CCN asked me to help him out with SkyLeague this next season. To begin planning, we want to see what format you guys want to see. The two options we currently have are

1. Everybody plays each other, then seeded tourney at the end.
2. One or two week tourney, with no 'season', with seeds based on past results.

Option 1 obviously would take a lot longer, spanning over numerous weeks, but the time commitment for each week is less.
Option 2 is fast (only 1 or 2 sundays), but each sunday will take a long time.

Please vote for what you want, and post why

CCN
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Option 2 would be several tournies interspersed. So that you can decide which sundays to commit and you have free ones.

wolf'j'max
09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Random seeds double elimination spread out over quite a few weeks :3

evilarsenal
09-29-2010, 09:29 PM
world cup format

have a bunch of groups... depends on how many people sign up, but if 8 then, 2 groups of 4... you play teams in ur division twice, and everyone else not in ur group once, top 2 of each group move on...

if 12, 4 groups of 3 or whatever, 3 groups of 4, you play everyone in your division twice, then a couple of matches out of division, then top 2 of each group moves on to playoffs

drunkguava
09-29-2010, 09:37 PM
there aren't that many reliable teams that would show up to do a world cup format. i don't trust any ball clans to actually show up on a weekly basis for a league (mine included tbh), so i would vote for 2-3 wknd tourneys. We could do more of them, but like CCN said, teams could decide to skip ones when they think that their players need a break or are going to be busy.

uh to reiterate. No ball league has ever worked. Ever. I don't see that changing anytime soon with the near collapse of twisted, and the new teams not being able to prove themselves in SL2

Ajuk999
09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't see that changing anytime soon with the near collapse of twisted, and the new teams not being able to prove themselves in SL2

I don't know about other newer teams, but I know it would work out for ACES HIGH if we could arrange our own times with the other team(s). I would be up for that kind of change.

drunkguava
09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't know about other newer teams, but I know it would work out for ACES HIGH if we could arrange our own times with the other team(s). I would be up for that kind of change.

also not a good plan. we tried that for the 3v3 ball tourney and it failed. people are not responsible enough to trust with game scheduling. it's better to give them a time and let them reschedule if they have to (even that doesnt always work, see sl1)

shrode
09-29-2010, 10:47 PM
near collapse of twisted

twisted is not dieing

tgleaf
09-29-2010, 11:33 PM
there aren't that many reliable teams that would show up to do a world cup format. i don't trust any ball clans to actually show up on a weekly basis for a league (mine included tbh), so i would vote for 2-3 wknd tourneys. We could do more of them, but like CCN said, teams could decide to skip ones when they think that their players need a break or are going to be busy.

uh to reiterate. No ball league has ever worked. Ever. I don't see that changing anytime soon with the near collapse of twisted, and the new teams not being able to prove themselves in SL2

Was gonna post a reply but then I saw this. "ditto"

Evan20000
09-30-2010, 06:04 AM
We need more competitive ball teams to even start up another tourney. We have the big 3 and are trying to breathe life into twisted making 4. Then we have AIR and AH bringing us to 6. We still need more if this is going to be a full league and not a mini event.

shrode
09-30-2010, 06:21 AM
agreed. some people that are on teams with too many people should make new teams gogogogo. (ball vs tvo finals had 11v11 in the server at one point, just sayin)

evilarsenal
09-30-2010, 06:48 AM
We need more competitive ball teams to even start up another tourney. We have the big 3 and are trying to breathe life into twisted making 4. Then we have AIR and AH bringing us to 6. We still need more if this is going to be a full league and not a mini event.

if ball tourneys were successful, there'd be an apl league for it

drunkguava
09-30-2010, 07:58 AM
agreed. some people that are on teams with too many people should make new teams gogogogo. (ball vs tvo finals had 11v11 in the server at one point, just sayin)

I don't think that there is anyone on {ball} with the time or desire to lead a clan (outside of current leadership, with whom the time component is debatable anyway). Also, those 20 people per team were only for the finals. For the rest of the tourney, we were between 5-9 people all day. We almost had to play lobsams 5v5, but luckily two players signed on just in time.
We've tried splitting off of {ball} before (into {ball*}) and it was a major fail. Neither team ended up having enough participation so we recombined. I honestly would be all up for it if i thought it was remotely possible.

if ball tourneys were successful, there'd be an apl league for it

i think ccn started sl1 because we were tired of waiting for you to do it. And I'm really happy he did, because it's made the ball scene much more active and competitive. We still need a lot more committed participation before I see anything close to apl happening for ball.

CCN
09-30-2010, 08:40 AM
If its Sunday i'm thinking maybe 2 TBD teams, the current Lobstar Sammiches and the old 2G4U, possibly.

Also in a small tourney style it is more plausible to host 2 squads per the bigger teams (or a ball a tv0 and a join tvo/ball squad just to try it out if enough people show)

XX1
10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
the near collapse of twisted

<.<
lies