PDA

View Full Version : tbd_Chess Endorsements

Kuja900
12-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I personally think that tbd_Chess is ready to be moved on to the official ladder map rotation. If you agree or have suggested changes that would have to be made before you agree please post them here. It has been quite a while since we have had a quality new map and I don't think anyone would mind seeing a new face in the pool.

Evan20000
12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Agreedchars.

sunshineduck
12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I haven't seen it thoroughly tested 5v5 before and nobody ever seems interested in testing on friday nights when ladder is up :\

have you guys run any 5v5 games on it?

Kuja900
12-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Testing games are just boring in comparison to playing actual ladder. I did play a few of these tests however and thats what inspired me to support this map.

Kuja900
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
This was actually meant to be in the ladder sub forum can a mod help me out.

silent skies
12-09-2010, 11:30 PM
+30 to this thread ^^

I will re-export the higher-res version when I get back from class today, call it v1.5, though gameplay-wise it will be identical to v1.41.

silent skies
12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
v1.5 is go:

(The post) (http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?p=94403#post94403)

trendy11one
12-10-2010, 10:15 AM
tbh, when we test this, game was too long. Maybe because that was testing and in real game ppl stop hanging around. And turrets seems useless, maybe add some to central route. Imo, map complete on 90-95%. I suggest to bump this map here (http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5154) and run last test games, say 10 at least times with different teams. Just play ftw and look, how much time it takes.

Btw, just for lulz, why only central pieces have cross colors? I mean, all pieces in left part red except one.

silent skies
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Well, I think Kuja is on to something about the difference between ladder testing and an actual ladder game played on the map.

Btw, just for lulz, why only central pieces have cross colors? I mean, all pieces in left part red except one.

The chess game has only just begun, and each player has only moved one pawn :p

sunshineduck
12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
does anyone else remember the last map that was haphazardly thrown into ladder to test?

hint it was doodle and everyone hated it

i'm not putting a map into the pool without testing, if you want new maps then help me gather people for captains map testing games rather than ignoring me

Kuja900
12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
does anyone else remember the last map that was haphazardly thrown into ladder to test?

hint it was doodle and everyone hated it

i'm not putting a map into the pool without testing, if you want new maps then help me gather people for captains map testing games rather than ignoring me

Do you remember underpark, bowser's castle and scrapyard? Give this map the same chance its gone through far more testing and edits than those maps did at this stage.

nobodyhome
12-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Do you remember underpark, bowser's castle and scrapyard? Give this map the same chance its gone through far more testing and edits than those maps did at this stage.

i recall you and a few others hating both scrapyard and bowserscastle for a significant length of time before realizing it was good. and i also remember underpark was plagued with graphical problems for a good month or two after its ladder debut.

wolf'j'max
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
i haven't get to play it yet, no one wants to =[

York
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I haven't seen it thoroughly tested 5v5 before and nobody ever seems interested in testing on friday nights when ladder is up :\

have you guys run any 5v5 games on it?

got life?
chars

sunshineduck
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM

I have no idea how much testing underpark/scrapyard went under before being implemented in ladder, I'm not even sure I was actively playing tbd ladder when they were implementing. I'm extremely hesitant to add a map to the pool when the most extensive testing I've ever seen on this map was when lamster was online and we did a 15v15 or whatever there.

That being said, I'm leaning more on throwing a bunch of maps in the pool for testing in ladder before season 2. Nobo, if you can pitch in - could you maybe make certain maps enable for custom_start (making them count for points and ensuring people will play hard) but not include them in custom_random?

sunshineduck
12-10-2010, 07:01 PM
got life?
chars

I was referring to the fact that everyone is playing in ladder on Friday nights and simply don't want to test maps.

but please, be more ignorant

Kuja900
12-10-2010, 07:06 PM
i recall you and a few others hating both scrapyard and bowserscastle for a significant length of time before realizing it was good. and i also remember underpark was plagued with graphical problems for a good month or two after its ladder debut.

Scrapyard sucks, I have come around to Bowser's however. Chess has received more thorough work then those other maps and I have played on it several times and noticed no graphical problems.

drunkguava
12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
That being said, I'm leaning more on throwing a bunch of maps in the pool for testing in ladder before season 2. Nobo, if you can pitch in - could you maybe make certain maps enable for custom_start (making them count for points and ensuring people will play hard) but not include them in custom_random?

+1 this would be far from ideal, but it seems like the best way to test maps. Nobo, I know that in the past you had said that ladder would NOT be a place to test maps, but I think that as we are in between seasons it makes sense to use it for testing right now.

Kuja900
12-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I have no idea how much testing underpark/scrapyard went under before being implemented in ladder, I'm not even sure I was actively playing tbd ladder when they were implementing. I'm extremely hesitant to add a map to the pool when the most extensive testing I've ever seen on this map was when lamster was online and we did a 15v15 or whatever there.

There is no maps I know of besides Chess that are even close to be worthy of testing. Name some?

Kuja900
12-10-2010, 07:30 PM
+1 this would be far from ideal, but it seems like the best way to test maps. Nobo, I know that in the past you had said that ladder would NOT be a place to test maps, but I think that as we are in between seasons it makes sense to use it for testing right now.

No that wont work people still care just as much about their ratings as they did then, that was nobo's original train of thought and it pissed a lot of people off lets not go backwards.

sunshineduck
12-10-2010, 07:54 PM
tbd_origamipark has been much more thoroughly tested and revised as far as I can tell since I've actually been a part of multiple games in which it was a 5v5 test.

as far as tbd_chess goes, I've only ever played this in casual games that weren't even close to 5v5, and the only 5v5 game I've ever even heard anyone playing on this map was when you posted in their thread saying you played one game on the map and had a couple lines of input.

Not saying it's a bad map, but if you're saying we shouldn't put maps on ladder without sufficient testing then it's quite obviously not ready. On one hand you're saying that we should put a map on ladder for testing and on the other you're saying that we shouldn't just throw maps haphazardly on ladder to test

make up your mind and stop pushing your own agenda plz

sunshineduck
12-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I will discuss it with nobo and guava more thoroughly, if we do decide to add maps to the ladder pool just for testing then tbd_chess will be one of the maps we add. If we decide not to, we will not add tbd_chess to the pool until it has been more thoroughly tested and deemed fit for ladder play

Kuja900
12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
tbd_origamipark has been much more thoroughly tested and revised as far as I can tell since I've actually been a part of multiple games in which it was a 5v5 test.

as far as tbd_chess goes, I've only ever played this in casual games that weren't even close to 5v5, and the only 5v5 game I've ever even heard anyone playing on this map was when you posted in their thread saying you played one game on the map and had a couple lines of input.

Not saying it's a bad map, but if you're saying we shouldn't put maps on ladder without sufficient testing then it's quite obviously not ready. On one hand you're saying that we should put a map on ladder for testing and on the other you're saying that we shouldn't just throw maps haphazardly on ladder to test

make up your mind and stop pushing your own agenda plz

Agenda lol? My agenda is to see new, tested and worthy maps joining the ladder map pool. Unlike the maps added haphazardly in the past this one has actually received both testing and numerous revisions.

sunshineduck
12-10-2010, 08:16 PM
you have completely failed to provide any examples of where this map has been tested outside of one post in the tbd_chess thread where you said you played one game on it. just because you liked the map based on the one game you played on it doesn't mean it's ladder-worthy.

and there have been plenty of maps that have been revised numerous times and are still obviously not ladder-worthy, bringing up the # of times it has been revised is relatively useless.

I'm all for strong new maps being added to the pool, but a map that's been pretty much untested outside a couple of odd games here and there is not ready for ladder under current qualifications. I'm leaning on adding several maps to the pool just so they pretty much have to get tested, otherwise we'll never get anything done as nobody ever wants to test. outside of intentionally crashing the ladder servers whenever testing time comes around, I'm not sure what else I can do.

elxir
12-10-2010, 08:19 PM
let's fukken go test it

Kuja900
12-10-2010, 08:19 PM
you have completely failed to provide any examples of where this map has been tested outside of one post in the tbd_chess thread where you said you played one game on it. just because you liked the map based on the one game you played on it doesn't mean it's ladder-worthy.

and there have been plenty of maps that have been revised numerous times and are still obviously not ladder-worthy, bringing up the # of times it has been revised is relatively useless.

I'm all for strong new maps being added to the pool, but a map that's been pretty much untested outside a couple of odd games here and there is not ready for ladder under current qualifications. I'm leaning on adding several maps to the pool just so they pretty much have to get tested, otherwise we'll never get anything done as nobody ever wants to test. outside of intentionally crashing the ladder servers whenever testing time comes around, I'm not sure what else I can do.

No one has even heard of the crap you are suggesting. Silent has been working on this map for a long time and he has made many improvements to the point of, combined with my experience on the map, that I feel it is right for the pool.

York
12-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I was referring to the fact that everyone is playing in ladder on Friday nights and simply don't want to test maps.

but please, be more ignorant

I was referring to the fact that you are playing ladder on friday nights and have no life

but please, be more of a dumbass.

speaking of which, i am going to hop on to undermine my point

silent skies
12-11-2010, 12:59 AM
let's fukken go test it

This...

There isn't really anything else I can do. The map is there, I busted my ass doing 95% of the work making the map a reality (over the course of 6 months, since July), I'm just asking you guys to play it now.

If it needs to be tweaked more, I can tweak it, whatever, but please don't let it sit in development purgatory for the rest of eternity.

Goose
12-12-2010, 04:33 AM
I think the only way to solve this problem is to just force this map into the ladder rotation. Some people might bitch about losing points in ladder on playing a map they aren't familiar with, but after the dust settles i think people will come to like the map. This is kinda what happened with ball_doodle i believe..One random day it just ended up in the ladder rotation, and once most people downloaded the map there wasn't really a problem. (except for the fact that doodle ended up not being a fun map, but silent skies has done a lot of work on tbd_chess, so i'm sure it will be successful.)

elxir
12-12-2010, 05:42 AM
I think the only way to solve this problem is to just force this map into the ladder rotation. Some people might bitch about losing points in ladder on playing a map they aren't familiar with, but after the dust settles i think people will come to like the map. This is kinda what happened with ball_doodle i believe..One random day it just ended up in the ladder rotation, and once most people downloaded the map there wasn't really a problem. (except for the fact that doodle ended up not being a fun map, but silent skies has done a lot of work on tbd_chess, so i'm sure it will be successful.)

we tested doodle first and liked it

proper analogies are cross and funnelpark -_-

Evan20000
12-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Doodle was good when it was smaller :(

Kuja900
12-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Doodle looked ugly as **** even though the smaller version was interesting, ida stilled crucified it if I had been in on the testing, people were too nice to manatee.