Altitude Game: Forums

Altitude Game: Forums (http://altitudegame.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guides (http://altitudegame.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   [G] Reverse Thrust / Heavy Cannon Biplane Guide (http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145)

Evan20000 12-09-2009 06:25 PM

Beagle got banned for speaking his mind too many times. At least that's what I was told.

LeLLo 12-12-2009 06:15 AM

This video is what made me decide to buy the game. I've played for less than two days, but seeing the amount of innovation that can go into Altitude is amazing. Thanks Beagle - that was awesome shtuff! :D

bolderz 12-12-2009 07:29 AM

I'm two levels away from getting reverse thrusters, can't wait, been playing practically all day to try and get the perks.

Stormich 12-12-2009 08:06 AM

Did you guys read the not to be played by new players? Well anyway have fun learning it but imo until you learn to fly normally you shouldnt be attempting reverse :)

Jrathje 12-12-2009 11:14 AM

Wow Beag,

I consider myself decent at Sniplane, but you sir, you are THE foremost authority and quite incredible to watch. Great guide and the flowchart made me chuckle. Now I know just how high the skill ceiling for Sniplane is. I'm gonna have to keep on climbing!

bolderz 12-12-2009 04:20 PM

I just hit Level 41 and enabled reverse thrusters for the first time! It's gonna take some practice for sure.

When I quit out of the game soon after and checked my stats, pleasantly suprised to see my biplane kill count was exactly on 666! I took a screen shot, hopefully it means something good for me and the 'sniplane'. :D

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...rth/alt666.jpg

Element 12-12-2009 05:21 PM

thnxs, this guide helped me... by the way beagle, awesome video :)

mled 02-09-2010 01:30 AM

I'm not sure if you put this in but, if u stall to do a quick recovery use your secondary weapon, this will help u lose the blue bar and will slow down ur speed before hitting walls.

i wasnt sure if you put that in but i do that often and its a great help :)

Beagle 02-09-2010 02:01 AM

Good points mled. This guide is pretty old though and the more 5v5 I play the more I'm certain that this should be taken as a learner's guide only for people who haven't played it before. If I ever made an updated guide for high level tips I'd probably do it as a video.

Stormich 02-09-2010 06:23 AM

Why don't you make a video of what happens to reverse in a competitive environment? :D jk you're getting better from what i saw not abusing the reverse as much :)

gren00b 02-13-2010 08:28 PM

Within the next month I'll (hopefully) be releasing a few videos of the Sniplane in action.

One will consist of some of my more spectacular bomb drops (with various green perks), one with some great kills and great flying, and then hopefully a few full TBD games recorded with my in-game commentary so that newer players hoping to become bomb runners will be able to see a slightly more advanced pilot in action.

Flight 666 02-20-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolderz (Post 25213)
I just hit Level 41 and enabled reverse thrusters for the first time! It's gonna take some practice for sure.

When I quit out of the game soon after and checked my stats, pleasantly suprised to see my biplane kill count was exactly on 666! I took a screen shot, hopefully it means something good for me and the 'sniplane'. :D

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...rth/alt666.jpg

This is a good sinal beliave me.

number 3 02-20-2010 09:58 PM

Of course flight you would post that. I saw it about a week or go, and said on no time flight will post something about thats a good number. No problems im not hatin the number, but it just suites you good

Death Rod 02-22-2010 04:06 AM

Helped me a lot, thanks beagle :)

Anhi 03-09-2010 08:58 PM

Thanks, great guide! Wondering tho, is the secondary fire worth it?
As I understand from your guide, its better then HC if you are in "melee", and if you have full energy? Or do you use both primary and secondary then for burst?

gren00b 03-09-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anhi (Post 41825)
As I understand from your guide, its better then HC if you are in "melee", and if you have full energy? Or do you use both primary and secondary then for burst?

Use F for long distance snipes and F+D for close up attacks (within a plane's length).

Anhi 03-10-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gren00b (Post 41836)
Use F for long distance snipes and F+D for close up attacks (within a plane's length).

Thanks, guessed so :) was doubting if it wasn't better to wait for energy for another HC shot.

Beagle 03-11-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anhi (Post 41825)

Depends entirely on the situation. If you're going to live long enough to get a second HC shot off, I usually do that, but if it's more desperate I try to go for the secondary burst.

Anhi 03-12-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle (Post 42140)
Depends entirely on the situation. If you're going to live long enough to get a second HC shot off, I usually do that, but if it's more desperate I try to go for the secondary burst.

makes totally sense, thanks for the replies :)
edit: with secondary burst, you mean F and D together or only D ? Or is only D never worth it?

Beagle 03-12-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anhi (Post 42199)
makes totally sense, thanks for the replies :)
edit: with secondary burst, you mean F and D together or only D ? Or is only D never worth it?

Look, see, the thing here is you're not thinking for yourself at all. There's absolutely no reason to listen to some guy you've never met like me tell you about something as transparent as when to resort to the secondary burst.

F on the Heavy Cannon isn't like F on the Biplane's other gun. There is no rapid fire. If you just hold F and D you're going to shoot once and get a drizzle of machinegun. You are only applying this FD mentality because everybody who ever talks about Biplane screams FD FD FD so you're just going "yeah that sounds good" instead of actually feeling and understanding the concept yourself.

The workings are innately simple. If I'm going to live long enough to get off a HC shot, I'll do that because for me it guarantees I'm going to get all that damage instead of maybe getting a bit of machinegun but not quite going the distance. I use the machinegun in cases where it'd be faster to kill the enemy than waiting for the HC shot, or in cases where if I don't TRY to machinegun them, I'm going to die first.

This isn't something that you need to copy from other players or from a guide. This is the basic fundamentals of play. Go in game and play with Heavy Cannon. If you're not getting it, then observe what works and what doesn't work in situations. What is killing, what is failing to kill? Get a feel for how much damage your rounds do and how much damage your machinegun does.

Absolutely no offense to you, this is a mentality a lot of people have that you have to listen to the pro players and repeat their actions to the letter. You don't. Take things like guides as just that; a guide, guidelines, not a walkthrough. You need to work and feel this stuff out yourself, too.

Anhi 03-12-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle (Post 42247)
Look, see, the thing here is you're not thinking for yourself at all. There's absolutely no reason to listen to some guy you've never met like me tell you about something as transparent as when to resort to the secondary burst.

F on the Heavy Cannon isn't like F on the Biplane's other gun. There is no rapid fire. If you just hold F and D you're going to shoot once and get a drizzle of machinegun. You are only applying this FD mentality because everybody who ever talks about Biplane screams FD FD FD so you're just going "yeah that sounds good" instead of actually feeling and understanding the concept yourself.

The workings are innately simple. If I'm going to live long enough to get off a HC shot, I'll do that because for me it guarantees I'm going to get all that damage instead of maybe getting a bit of machinegun but not quite going the distance. I use the machinegun in cases where it'd be faster to kill the enemy than waiting for the HC shot, or in cases where if I don't TRY to machinegun them, I'm going to die first.

This isn't something that you need to copy from other players or from a guide. This is the basic fundamentals of play. Go in game and play with Heavy Cannon. If you're not getting it, then observe what works and what doesn't work in situations. What is killing, what is failing to kill? Get a feel for how much damage your rounds do and how much damage your machinegun does.

Absolutely no offense to you, this is a mentality a lot of people have that you have to listen to the pro players and repeat their actions to the letter. You don't. Take things like guides as just that; a guide, guidelines, not a walkthrough. You need to work and feel this stuff out yourself, too.

No offense taken, you are totally right. But still, it helps to get some input from pro players who played this setup hundreds of hours more then me. The thing is, I was totally used at not using the secondary fire, till I heard some people talk about it so I was a bit confused.

But I think I'm getting the hang of it now :)

A doughnut 03-13-2010 02:19 AM

i had worked with reverse thrust a while back and the most important thing that i noticed was:

when u r flying, you have to make tiny adjustments with repeated taps of the left/right arrow key instead of prolonged hold down sessions, these will destroy you. If you hold left/right to turn in a tight spot u r totally screwed.

watch some of beagles video, and you will definitely see a bunch of it there.

NOTE: I am not referring to "barreling" around people or flying in a completely open space either. When you look deeply at beagle's footage, he will look like he is "wobbling" at times like a bot on easy, but he is not wobbling, he is tapping the arrow key(s).

Beagle 03-13-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A doughnut (Post 42357)
i had worked with reverse thrust a while back and the most important thing that i noticed was:

when u r flying, you have to make tiny adjustments with repeated taps of the left/right arrow key instead of prolonged hold down sessions, these will destroy you. If you hold left/right to turn in a tight spot u r totally screwed.

Learning to make minute adjustments is definitely part of learning rev, but another big part is learning to control the prolonged thrusts too and using them to maneuver in their own way.

Don't discount them, there are many situations where minute adjustments won't accomplish what holding down the thrust and taming the flow will.

nicholasy11 03-23-2010 11:13 PM

Observing

I heard that snipers are now called "Observers". Does this mean the Sniplane is now an "Observplane"? :mad:

[Y] 03-24-2010 12:40 AM

I heard that trolls are now called "nicholasy11". Does this mean that lagstar's troll spray is now "nicholasy11 spray"? :mad:

(MAD) 04-07-2010 04:04 PM

lov the vid u make it looks so easy :(

havamar 04-10-2010 12:31 AM

Beegle

Nice reversement.

themadweaz 04-27-2010 08:12 PM

I hate reverse thrust, but gj.

ModernArcher 08-03-2010 08:03 AM

Evan20000 08-03-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModernArcher (Post 68632)

I honestly cracked up at the typo.

ModernArcher 08-03-2010 09:21 PM

lol. rescpect.
dotn be harsh i did this @ 3:00 AM last night

[Y] 08-03-2010 10:52 PM

Why are you on the forums necroing threads instead of sleeping at 3 AM last night?

Ajuk999 08-03-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Y] (Post 68742)
Why are you on the forums necroing threads instead of sleeping at 3 AM last night?

Hahahahahaha. Took me a second to catch that one. rofl.

ModernArcher 08-03-2010 11:34 PM

whatever. its dark out, its night. TECNICALLY morning, but whatever :P
im callin it night

Pieface 09-01-2010 10:57 PM

Congratulations! Your guide has been appended with a "[G]" tag and is almost ready to be moved to the Completed Guides subforum. If possible, please look over these suggested changes and make appropriate edits as you see fit.
  1. Fix or remove outdated stats throughout the guide, primarily in the Perk Setup section. With the biplane's recent buff it almost definitely has a different rpm, does different amounts of damage, etc. Not sure if the updated stats have been posted so if not maybe it's better to just talk in more general terms.
  2. Has the recent buff on RT changed the way the Sniplane flies at all? If so, a quick change to the rev section couldn't hurt.

This message has also been sent to you via PM. When you're done making any edits you feel are necessary, please post a concise summary of what you changed in this thread so we know when to move it to the Completed Guides subforum. Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

- Pie

Beagle 09-19-2010 06:47 AM

Guide is updated, but more importantly

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics...chick-8783.gifHAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SNIPLANE http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics...chick-8783.gif

wolf'j'max 09-19-2010 09:21 AM

happy bday?

Beagle 09-19-2010 11:18 AM

in exactly fifty nine minutes to be precise

Evan20000 09-19-2010 03:14 PM

I thought I heard a lound "WHOMP WHOMP" when I woke up. Turns out I was right. ^^

Pieface 09-19-2010 04:39 PM

Happy Birthday! For your present I've moved you to the official guides forum. :)