Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 AM

Default increment ban time with each kick

Sorry if this has been covered already, I did search before posting.

Today a player, Grimmfang, repeatedly posted explicitly racist comments directed against another specific player (the N word among other things) in one of the (private) ball servers. Grimmfang was then kicked through a vote. He soon came back and continued his racist remarks against that player. New kickvote. He then left before the vote was over. It seemed like he thereby dodged the ban time but according to this thread that is not the case: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684 . Anyway, the ban time did not seem to increment after each kick. If that is correct then consider changing it so that it increments, i.e. first kick 2 mins, 2nd 10 mins, 3rd 20 mins and so on.

Last edited by rere; 12-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 AM

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1791

The top link being the newest, and no more than 15 threads below the one you made if you look at the first thread page.
Peace
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Although his idea is different from those threads.

Those threads want an admin to have a ban dialogue. His point is that kicks should have incremental time - especially when admins aren't around. That way if someone like hitler comes onto the main servers or even a side server - after they are repeatedly kicked without an admin banning them they get kicked out for longer.

I think it's an interesting idea
Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 AM

Oh I am sorry I do understand now - just so you know my post before wasn't having a go - i was just being bluntly informative (and failing)

Yes I do think thats a great idea - I've been thinking that for a while myself but kept slipping my mind. Definately an increment sydtem, much like infractions or demerit points.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

I agree about incremental bans. We just had "The Nigger Guy" kicked three times. After that he didn't come back, but I don't know if it was due to incremental bans. I am always surprised to see someone return after two minutes. How about banning them from that server for a longer time (e.g. 15 minutes) but for two minutes for all other servers? And then have some kind of algorithm so that their third ban of the day is a 24-hour ban from all servers.

Apologies if the ban system already works this way, but it doesn't seem like it.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
I agree about incremental bans. We just had "The Nigger Guy" kicked three times. After that he didn't come back, but I don't know if it was due to incremental bans. I am always surprised to see someone return after two minutes. How about banning them from that server for a longer time (e.g. 15 minutes) but for two minutes for all other servers? And then have some kind of algorithm so that their third ban of the day is a 24-hour ban from all servers.

Apologies if the ban system already works this way, but it doesn't seem like it.
It doesn't work that way. I like the idea, as most trolls come back after 2 minutes.

Having a ban from all servers might not be a good idea - there may be potential for abuse by admins/players.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure it doesn't work this way already? I was 90% sure it does actually.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Yes, mikesol read me right. No probs CaptainVogez, my talk of "ban time" was a bit confusing. I meant the time period someone is barred from returning after a successful player initiated kick vote.

Tgleaf's steps (2 mins, 15 mins, 24 hours) seem better than the ones I first suggested (2, 10, 20 mins), since 20 mins might be too lax for some marathon trolls.

DiogenesDog, it didn't seem to work that way in the case at hand at least. Maybe it is a server config option?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

It definitely doesn't work that way now - at least in every server I've ever played in.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
Are you sure it doesn't work this way already? I was 90% sure it does actually.
Its always 2 minutes and currently does not scale.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Yes - this is an often-requested feature that keeps just missing the next-patch list. It will be implemented at some point!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Yes - this is an often-requested feature that keeps just missing the next-patch list. It will be implemented at some point!
Thanks for considering it!