Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 AM

Default Dombs should retain a Bomber's inertia

Edit: The main point is simply to have Dombs carry more latteral inertia (or simply to make aiming them easier/ better), since they feel like they would be more natural to aim that way. Most of everything below are extra suggestions that I got a bit carried away with. Feel free to ignore the wall of text.

As a Bomber main, I find Dombs (dumb bombs) to be next to useless since the primary weapon for the Bomber, the primary weapon already has similiar damage and is easier to hit with 90% of the time. The one time Dombs are useful, are when you are above your target (or threatening to get above them), but it is far, far to easy to read a Bomber's movement and juke accordingly to dodge. The Suppresor is (usually, when autoaim doesn't troll..) better for close range with more long ranged tactical options, and the Tailgun keeps you safe, while allowing for a second damage option. (Edit: Found another use for Dombs, they have an amazing AoE range, so hitting planes nearby surfaces or grouped up planes is good.. or would be if there was a reasonable way to utilize this other than hitting planes behind a wall powerup.)

So, I suggest that Dombs should retain a Bomber's lateral inertia more (perhaps increasing more at high velocity) to allow Bombers to aim their Dombs, and juke shots. This would also open interesting options with Reverse Thrust, since Rev planes can control their inertia very well. With an exponential increase in Domb inertia, a skilled player could lob a Domb from a standstill in seconds. If Dombs mimiced the Bomber's vertical inertia to closely it would interfere with the common Dombing strategy of trying to get a height advantage, although perhaps at high upward velocity the Dombs could stand still momentarily, to ward off attackers (the main reason for a secondary weapons on a Bomber is for safety afterall). However Rev Bombers should override the Dombs vertical inertia safety measures, since they should not need to rely on such strategies for Dombing runs.

Secondly, I suggest that a Domb's damage be based on velocity (and a bonus if the other plane flew into them), with the base damage being half of their primary gun. This would increase the skill ceiling, without making them to easy to use.. These should still be a high risk, high reward weapon afterall, and the Flack Tailgun is already the safest option. I don't know the exact numbers, but Dombs feel like they have nearly identical damage to a Bombers main gun, so this should make them feel more interesting (afterall.. who wants two similar weapons?). If they don't already, Dombs should probably stop a plane entirely with a direct, frontal hit, or at least slow it enough for escape, as well as launch a Bomber from a nearby surface (it is very hard to figure out their exact knockback in normal play).

Thirdly, Dombs could explode after a certain amount of time, like every other Bomber explosive. This should idealy be when, on average, the Domb has went off screen after a second. This would most likely be the ideal timing to hit planes flying below, without interfering with a new player's common strategy of dropping Dombs randomly over a fight. (Edit: Found out Dombs already explode roughly.. over one and a half screens below a Bomber, so unless the Bomber is well above a fight, it is very hard to make use of the AoE, it is also impossible to aim the AoE in the same way you can aim the Flack Tailgun's AoE.)

These changes should make these more interesting for offensive play, and are practical since there are defensive options as well. More importantly, this opens many ways for Dombers to out-play opponents, and get out of situations where a Bomber's other secondary weapons would fail. They are still very situational, since they are nearly useless agianst opponents with a height advantage (without rev), thus keeping the same feel/ flavour as current Dombs.

Lastly if both of my first two main points are rejected, I suggest a change to Dombs energy and/ or size. Launching more lower damage Dombs, or many smaller Dombers, or even a giant Domb would all be more intersting than the current Dombs. My point is they feel far to similar, and their main distinguising factor, the akward aiming method, simply makes them less interesting, rather than as a very fun to use, although highly impractical, weapon.

I am not suggesting they should be balanced for competetive play at all (and we should avoid making them to good for it as well..), but since they are obviously designed as a fun to use, yolo weapon, they should be rebalanced, and synergize with the funnest, yolo blue perk in the game Reverse Thrust. Thank you for your time, and please comment if you support this, disagree entirely, or have other ideas to make Dombs fun to use!

(As a side note to anyone reading this.. Please add an option to disable the Suppressor's autoaim [while playing, so it can be re-enabled at anytime], it is only good for close range, and trolls with any mid range shots.)

(Edits are Blue for easy re-reading)

Last edited by Wisp; 06-17-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Some information was incorrect, now updated.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM

How about auto-spawning a big bomb every 60 secs once on triple golds? =O
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
Doesn't the stealth helicopter plane already do that?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
Well, I would prefer simply making them easier/ funner to use or trying to synergize them with Reverse Thrust; but at this point I believe any change would be welcome. I almost never see anyone use them. There really isn't a perk worse than Dombs, even rubber hull has its uses.

It could be interesting if there was a slow reloading Domb that scaled off of bars though, 10-20 seconds would probably be a bit more reasonable though.

(I do realize that Dombs do retain inertia slightly right now, I meant they should be readjusted.. they seem really heavy for no reason, and start with almost no downwards momentum, unless you were flying downwards..)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM

You obviously have never seen Loli play
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM

Or tpa1n's dombs. Those deltombs are glorious.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAYLOOP Send a message via MSN to TAYLOOP

Revert back to smart bombs imo
Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex~ View Post
You obviously have never seen Loli play
^^^^^^10charlemon
Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Well, obviously forum regulars have far more experience than I do, so if you guys all believe that there are reasonable uses for Dombs, than I will agree. However, while there are top level ways to use Dombs, at a lower, typical level of play I haven't seen or thought of any good strategies for Dombs.. Other than taking Dombs with high energy capaicitor and shooting both weapons for burst damage (which is untested). So unless someone else, with more experience, agrees with me, this thread might as well be pointless.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Nah SoN FuQ DaT I GoT a BeTTa iDea

how bout u make a TAZE bomb to take the place of dombz?

Last edited by _TAZE_u_W/_E.M.P._BRo_; 06-17-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: cuz i can do dat
Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 AM

I just took like 15 minutes to read this and quite understand. My 2 cents.

You're looking to make Dombs very technical and smart-used with all those suggestions. They were already made to be fun, unconventional and with no particular way to use them. As another bomber player for over 3 years, I've never seen someone play dombs in the front line, for this case, in ball mode. Usually you want to stay way up high in the map, evading agglomerations of fights to simply spam 3-4 dombs randomly below you. There is no need to actually aim down to shoot them since they already have a big splash and high damage per bomb. The only thing one would need to take into account is that if you don't see yourself in a situation to use your dombs, just press F and then position once again to re-initiate the spam. I have noticed that most casual dumb-bomb players will use their primary shooting weapon very few, if not, zero times. This makes me think that they feel that "since dombs are so fun, I'm just going to use them and forget about my F". You don't need to completely depend on your D button. Yes, it does the most damage but it isn't your only way to attack/defend.

tl;dr When playing dombs, you must be careless of how you shoot them, position above clusters of planes and just hit D like there's no tomorrow.

Also, if you want stats.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM

I appreciate the feedback. I agree that my suggestions are overly complicated, but those werent the main point. Dombs are just too similar to your primary weapon, they're litterally almost the same according to those stats. Their only real difference is that they are harder to aim (and shoot slightly faster). If they did more damage, had less energy cost, higher knockback, had a bigger splash radius or were reasonable to aim with, then they would be fine. Considering how akward it is to even land one of them consistantly, it seems like they either need a major rework, or a simple rebalance to reflect that theres a payoff to using them.

Another suggestion I was thinking of, would be to replace a Domber's primary attack with Dombs, rather than as a secondary attack. The secondary could be changed to be more effective to reflect that Dombs are harder to use (like with the Biplane). This would also (partially) fix the similar weapon stats, who would want two weapons that are so similar? With a stronger Suppressor, this could be a really fun plane, its only current drawback is that you need to land every shot to do any real damage (other than autoaim trolling). And as you pointed out, most dedicated Dombers don't seem to care much for their current Primary weapon anyways..

As a side note, the original suggestion was simply to have Dombs carry more latteral inertia, since they feel like they would be more natural to aim that way. Sorry if I got carried away with everything else.

Edit: Are those Flack Tailgun stats correct? I am nearly positive that they have knockback, AND a damage radius. Unless it was changed recently.. Because I clearly remember shooting them at maximum range for sniping damaged planes with the explosion.

Last edited by Wisp; 06-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.