Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Server News

Server News Announcements related to privately hosted servers.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
It's possible to have a server without bots, ya know. (apl, ladder, etc)
good point. but maybe the bots sneak out and play when nobody is looking.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyclef View Post
good point. but maybe the bots sneak out and play when nobody is looking.
Bot Story 3 imo
Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 AM

I can do the time.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Hi yankinlk,

You'll need to doublecheck with Ban Master Ledow but there actually is no time to do unless eternity is an amount of time. The bans max out at 20 years, so after 20 years of time I'm sure his holiness would just renew the ban again. I suppose at that point you could plead for his mercy and beg for forgiveness but I don't think he believes in rehabilitation and for your sake I hope in 20 years you aren't still playing this game.

Just think of his server like a Thai court of law or something, where if you jaywalk they sentence you to death or something. Or like the soup nazi episode of seinfeld... yea! That's a better example. NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM

I was thinking about this the other day.

The longest game I ever played without changing to another was Counterstrike. Definitely got my moneys worth out of that - although I always preferred the versions before 1.0. I still have a version of Space Invaders from my old Atari 2600 loaded up, and thats way more than 20 years old so I stand by my statement.Are you suggesting that Ledow might tack another 20 years onto my ban for the fun of it? Surely not? Are you one of those people that view the future as dark with collapsed burnt out buildings and everyone has mutant parts living in the sewers? I must admit in my nightmares I envision Ledow becoming the Bill gates of the gaming world, controlling 99% of the worlds gaming servers and maintaining his ban policy retroactively against all servers/all games.

If that day comes it will be a dark one indeed. But yet still I will never bow to his dark form. Fight the powah.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Put it this way:

I backup my ban lists. And I have still files going back to programs I wrote when I was in the first year of secondary school (now called Year 7). Hell, I still have BASIC and Z80 assembly lying around from my ZX Spectrum before that.

I'm honestly flattered that you're so affected by being banned from my servers (2 out of, what, 140-ish worldwide?) - and equally concerned that that is ALL you seem to worry about - that you take the time to hang around and discuss it like I switched off your Internet connection, or beat up your granny or something. I don't really see the point. In fact, all you're really doing is propagating the knowledge that my server is well-regulated. Thanks for that, but it's getting a little old.

Greater than 99.9% of the people who still play on my server have no problem with that policy, and as Kyxoan says, he bans 2-3 people a month himself which isn't much less than me. The difference is he unbans them (so they can potentially cause trouble again) whereas I don't bother because there's never a shortage of people who want to play on there, and I won't subject myself or my regulars to a repeat experience. Ban, kick or warn. Unban means that, as an admin, you got the decision wrong in the first place.

To answer your question, my servers probably won't be around in 20 years time. Altitude is a good game but even Counter-strike is only 10-or-so years old and I ran servers for that for about 7-8 years before the community started to die (bloody CS:Source and Warcraft mods!). Altitude is good, but it's not even in the same class as CS when it comes to user-minutes.

Think of it this way: I like my daughter to play on a bouncy castle and she likes it too. So I bought her a bouncy castle of her own at my expense. We stuck it in my backyard and she can play on it all day without me having to pay or worry about her. Playing on a bouncy castle on your own is boring after a while, so I let her bring her friends and schoolfriends to play on it and even the little boy we don't know who keeps watching us from the end of the road. By owning the bouncy castle, I don't need to worry about pushy kids shoving her off, rude parents, etc. and living by others rules (i.e. if I want to let them on it with soft-shoes, I can, if I want to let them on it when it's windy, or raining, I can, if she wants to go on it at three in the morning, she can - if I let her) because if they're a problem, I just stop them playing on my bouncy castle with my daughter and her friends. There's nothing to stop them playing on ANY other bouncy castle in the world or even, as one disgruntled "banned" person did from my server, buying their own.

The fact that others benefit from having a "free bouncy castle" is secondary and dependent on their behaviour and, to an extent, my whim. If I decide to deflate the castle one day, they get zero say in it, only an opinion. If I decide to paint the castle blue, or only let kids without shoes on it, that's what they have to either a) agree with or b) accept and stop playing there. If a kid walks past that I just don't like the look of, I can choose not to let them on, or tell them it's only for my daughter and her friends.

The prime purpose, of course, is not for other strangers - it's so that I can provide a service to myself, my friends and family that's under our control. If I want the castle for a birthday party then, no, I won't let anyone else on that day, etc. And the first little git that punctures it deliberately won't be getting back on.

That's a better analogy than you think because my brother, his step-daughter, and other friends and family are on my servers all the time (with admin privileges that have never been exercised, because they just tell me about incidents instead). If you upset them, or interfere with their game, they won't take kindly to it either, and neither will I. And the server isn't there for YOU to play on. It's there for US to play on. And more specifically for ME to play on. Password-protecting it wouldn't be as much fun, so it's left open on the assumption that the vast, vast majority of people just want to play - which happens to be true.

I provide a service for me for entirely selfish reasons. Secondarily, other people can benefit at no expense to themselves. Whether or not I'm implementing "It's my ball, we play my way" rules or not, it's as childish to whinge about such things. I'm much more concerned (on a personal level) about what you do in your free time, and why a particular Altitude server ban policy is so important to you, than I am about getting a reputation as a "Ban Master". In fact, the latter helps and my regulars actually find it quite amusing because most of them have never seen a ban.

To give you a sample of what I have to deal with when all I want to do is play a game of Altitude with people who want to pick the ball up, pass and put it into a goal while talking in a friendly way, here's a couple of log snippets, just before I banned the people involved:

1)
"I might have you know that I come in here and harass your players a lot"
"in the hope that this abomination of a server might shut down anytime soon"
"banning me won't have any use either I got a gazillion accounts"

2) Player joins with nick of "F*** all N*gg*rs" (without the censorship).
Me: "Change your nick" (I don't NEED to put please on that - it's not a request)
Them: "F*** you".

3) This thread being derailed on a regular basis for little or no reason. If the purpose is publicity: I BANNED THESE PEOPLE FOR THE REASONS THEY STATED (and sometimes a little more!). There. Sorted. Can we move on now?

For some of those things, I wouldn't tolerate that sort of abuse in a Post Office if I was working behind the counter. I wouldn't tolerate in the job I do, even from kids who have problems. I wouldn't tolerate it directed at me even in my local garage. In fact, you're quite likely to get arrested if you spoke to a police officer like that. How bad do you think I feel about banning such people from my own "private property" just so I can play a game in peace?

Out of 16 private message on this forum, 3 were related to requests for admin rights (all politely declined, but appreciated), 1 was from lamster asking for help to solve a server problem I had that he'd never seen before, 3 were to report someone who was spoiling other's enjoyment of the server (and 2 cases resulted in a ban because the logs backed it up, the other because I trusted the person), and 9 were from one person who was banned and sent me a message every day until I blocked them on the forum (and I was asked by the forum moderators to report that person but chose not to). And then people wonder why I don't respond to "friend" requests, or answer their private messages - I just don't bother to check them because I want to avoid having to deal with that sort of spam.

However, the hassle and abuse associated with the above is infinitely *less* than what would happen on my server if I just let those people do what they like. And, to be honest, I'm pretty expert at ignoring it by now after 20+ years on the Internet.

The current situation *will not change*. I'm sorry that your lives are so boring and unimaginative (and actually so easy) that you feel hard-done-by because of a server ban on a video game. I find it quite sad that such a pathetic thing is so important to you. But I'm not a psychologist, nor an entertainer. I'm a player who just wants to play a game. Nobody is forcing you to play with my football.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM

You lost me at free bouncy castle.

Dude, don't be so sensitive, everything is cool, I was just trying to explain to Yankinlk the deal with the max ban allowed in the game so he wasn't waiting around for 20 years thinking he was getting back in. As well as remind future folks to not bother if they get banned. This I would think would help you out because you won't have to deal with people bugging you anymore about unbanning them. So... you're welcome.

Hope that clears things up for you Yankinlk!

PEACE! I'm out.

10 PRINT "CLEF";
20 GOTO 10

(p.s. i woulda banned those jerks too.)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
In fact, all you're really doing is propagating the knowledge that my server is well-regulated.
I'm sorry if that's what you think - let me be clear. You banned me from all servers because I said your 1st server was laggy once - one time, while i (and u) was playing on it. Thats not well regulated - in fact thats not regulated at all.

It takes 43 muscles to frown mate and only like 14 to smile. All the effort you put into that reply - try smiling once in a while. There aren't THAT many alti players in the world - and im sure they don't ALL h8 u like i do.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinlk View Post
I'm sorry if that's what you think - let me be clear. You banned me from all servers because I said your 1st server was laggy once - one time, while i (and u) was playing on it. Thats not well regulated - in fact thats not regulated at all.

It takes 43 muscles to frown mate and only like 14 to smile. All the effort you put into that reply - try smiling once in a while. There aren't THAT many alti players in the world - and im sure they don't ALL h8 u like i do.
How old are you by the way? Simple question, don't start cursing.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuyt View Post
How old are you by the way? Simple question, don't start cursing.
I havent cursed yet, why would i start now. Old enough to not want to answer that q.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Quote:
I havent cursed yet, why would i start now. Old enough to not want to answer that q.
Bwahahaha I just got totally owned by your maturity there, well done mister.

By the way,

Quote:
GTFO
Not cursing? Alright.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuyt View Post
Not cursing? Alright.
/hands up
ya got me.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Added info on the new (non-football) servers
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM

I presume my banning extends to all these new servers as well? proper order. Jolly good stuff.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 PM

Wow that was like a novel. I read the whole thing. U guys got pwnt lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Vesuvius View Post
Wow that was like a novel. I read the whole thing. U guys got pwnt lol.
Well it ain't War and Peace anyway, Id say more like a trashy romancer you'd leave behind at the poolside.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I presume my banning extends to all these new servers as well? proper order. Jolly good stuff.
u r srsly mad

there are 100 other servers, pick one
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Because you're obviously SO keen to play on a server with an admin like me?

Banlists are rsync'd between all my servers. Otherwise it would be a bit pointless keeping a banlist.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
Because you're obviously SO keen to play on a server with an admin like me?

Banlists are rsync'd between all my servers. Otherwise it would be a bit pointless keeping a banlist.
Any chance you have visions of expanding your empire past just Altitude game servers? Like someday I could be trying to buy a book or paying for my car tax and I find im banned there too?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Personally I'd love it if ledow could ban me from paying taxes. o_o
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Bump with info on fake servers.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Exclamation kick

Hello I want to know why I'm kicker all the time singing while I play normally? Do it 2 times in 5 minutes
Old 10-20-2013, 05:01 PM

Lol Ledow, ty for IP based ban. Might I ask what for?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Default Altitude Pro Football League Info

http://altitudepfl.weebly.com/upload...73677_orig.png
Old 02-12-2017, 03:48 PM

i was banned (theghostofbowlinggreen) for getting pissed at ledow for kicking me for a "rule 1 violation" which i still don't understand. ledow is a thin skinned small dicked asshat and i told him such and he banned me for twenty years. I would like to appeal my ban because I still want to play football.

in conclusion, ledow enjoys holding hands with trump because its the only time he can feel alpha.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPhonePhreak View Post
i was banned (theghostofbowlinggreen) for getting pissed at ledow for kicking me for a "rule 1 violation" which i still don't understand. ledow is a thin skinned small dicked asshat and i told him such and he banned me for twenty years. I would like to appeal my ban because I still want to play football.

in conclusion, ledow enjoys holding hands with trump because its the only time he can feel alpha.
Ledow are private server, so the only person that can remove the ban is ledow.
I had your same problems years agoes, i asked multiple times ledow to remove my 20 years ban but i alway got asnwered that if he made a 20 years ban there must been a good reason. I still have 13 years left i think

My tip it's to try different servers of ball,tbd and coop mode. Altitude isn't only that football map, it's full of amazing maps and different game modes.

I don't know where you from but on EU afternoon/ USA evening we always play on Ranked Ball Servers. The games are fun and the players are all good compared to others servers and all try to teamplay, you won't bump into level 10 players You find all info at www.planeball.com
You should really give it a try, it's the best part of Altitude.

If you like to play only on that football map on ledow servers my tip is to make a new account, because he won't remove the ban.

Edit: I was forgetting abour Race mode that it's an awesome mode to play even if you are in 2. Check MAP QA and Team+ servers, they are full of all kinds of maps!

Last edited by tomato man; 02-12-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato man View Post
Ranked Ball Servers... it's the best part of Altitude.
lmao you're funny toma
Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Yes Ledow can't stand people who don't play exactly how he thinks ball should be played even those playing longer than him or even when they are getting most goals, most kills and most assists in a game.

Last edited by FalconZ1; 05-30-2017 at 05:40 PM.