Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Server News

Server News Announcements related to privately hosted servers.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*
Default New England Servers

New England
"Serving the Altitude community since uh July"

If there are any problems or suggestions for these servers, or if you have a lovely new map, here's where to post. There is currently no ban appeals process nor admin application process.

Our mission is to provide servers where mature people can enjoy competitive play. Our dream is a happy place where vets don't have to put up with bull****.

Max players: 10
Max ping: 200
Bots: expert
Bot threshold: 2
Walls: solid
Camera zoom: 110
Plane scale: 95

New England policy is to kick anyone who can't act like an adult, and ban them if they don't get the point. I have no sympathy for anyone who gets banned.

Admin in Chief: Snowsickle
Deputy Admin: Pieface
There are other people with admin power, so be nice to everyone.

Servers:
New England Duel
New England 1-life Deathmatch
New England Adventure (mixed modes)

Have fun!

Last edited by Pieface; 08-14-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Oh hi.

I was wondering ever since the servers first appeared ...
Why is planescale 95 ?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Great! I've always loved these servers, and am glad there will be a place besides Captain's Games after the Steam release to get away from screaming-demo rage.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
I was wondering ever since the servers first appeared ...
Why is planescale 95 ?
Because planes used to be 5% too big.

Updates:
-TBD/TDM server now has correctly hardcore walls.
-New duel maps have been added. Check them out!

Question for you duelers: do you prefer 1-life or multi-life duels? Should we keep both options in one server, or split into two duel servers?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi* View Post
Because planes used to be 5% too big.

Updates:
-TBD/TDM server now has correctly hardcore walls.
-New duel maps have been added. Check them out!

Question for you duelers: do you prefer 1-life or multi-life duels? Should we keep both options in one server, or split into two duel servers?
Keep 3 servers for more 1 on 1 ACTION *THUNDER CLAP!* Can you list all of the maps on the new "New England" server/s?

edit: i think I prefer 1 life duels. Keep both types of maps in the servers though. Also, make it so a few more players can Spectate ( i mean like add a StartTourney function so there are witnesses).
Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 AM

Hi, I know you want to keep the ping limit low, if you don't mind could you make max limit 250. No worries if you hate my idea to bits.

Peace
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

New England Mixed Modes has been renamed to New England Adventure. The in-rotation list has been tightened, and now rotates through the modes every map. ADVENTURE!

We've taken down New England 1-life TBD, but you can still find this mode in New England Adventure, due to how adventurous it is.

We've added New England Maze Exploration, but that's a whole other kettle of fish so we'll post about it in its own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdigga View Post
Keep 3 servers for more 1 on 1 ACTION *THUNDER CLAP!* Can you list all of the maps on the new "New England" server/s
Maybe someday, but right now we're still updating too much, so maplist is pretty unsteady and that'd take work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
Hi, I know you want to keep the ping limit low, if you don't mind could you make max limit 250.
We do really want to keep a low limit for competitive play. However, our new maze server has a higher limit!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM

i would relish the prospect of playing the New England servers Vi but i think your in America right? Sadly for me my ping will be between 220-320
Old 12-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
i would relish the prospect of playing the New England servers Vi but i think your in America right? Sadly for me my ping will be between 220-320
Vi's on the East Coast, in fact our Cambridge is probably one of the closest places to England in America. Give the servers a shot, I don't usually see you pinging that high in the Official servers, and those are hosted somewhere int he middle of the country, I believe.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Vi,

There was an exploit in the old version of asteroids where a miranda can warp between rocks in the upper section. It was fixed a long time ago but I still see the old one being used. For death matches it doesn't really matter much but if your TBD is out of date then it should be swapped with the new one.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

The TBD can't be out of date because it is on the official maps list and therefore if you make a map and name it tbd_asteroid, it will jsut get overwritten by the official map.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

We started a new server with hard walls: New England Max-Lvl 59 Competitive.
I can't join it (Lam, let admins override max level!), but hopefully it'll give noobs a place to go where they won't get instantly destroyed by the likes of us. I don't know how to go about populating it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protest boy View Post
There was an exploit in the old version of asteroids where a miranda can warp between rocks in the upper section. It was fixed a long time ago but I still see the old one being used. For death matches it doesn't really matter much but if your TBD is out of date then it should be swapped with the new one.
Luckily our TBD is fine, but thanks for the heads up! I'd fix the TDM, but Snow would be so sad.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 AM

New England Servers are the best. The only thing to add might be a tournament server or two. A place to go with a lot of good maps and modes, where u can play without getting interrupted.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
New England Servers are the best. The only thing to add might be a tournament server or two. A place to go with a lot of good maps and modes, where u can play without getting interrupted.
And change the viewscale to default
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM

I'm one of those who actually like the 7v7 format for pubs ..
I'm kinda sad there isn't a 12 or 14 slot server. It really makes a difference then when you play in pubs and when you play matches.
You may have heard about my rage on vent when my team doesnt do well in matches. Basically I'm spending my time raging when I'm playing 5v5 without my team, either on capt games (thats why I dont play capt games) or in pub 5v5.

Please at least consider adding a 12 or 14 slot server for tbd. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
This is probably the best thing about these servers. The viewscale is a little larger than the distance that most projectiles, sans explodet missiles, travel, making it impossible to die to random off screen spam that will kill you at least once every few minutes in other servers. Combined with the smaller plane scale, which makes dodging a practical reality, you get a game that is very unrewarding to random spam and encourages aiming.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 AM

It's just that the viewscale puts everything off, I wouldn't mind it if all servers were at that viewscale. Takes some time to get used to it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
It's just that the viewscale puts everything off, I wouldn't mind it if all servers were at that viewscale. Takes some time to get used to it.
Yea exactly, if we were using the same viewscale for the league I wouldn't mind but we're not so it puts you off during league games if you get used to something else.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm one of those who actually like the 7v7 format for pubs ..
I'm kinda sad there isn't a 12 or 14 slot server. It really makes a difference then when you play in pubs and when you play matches.
You may have heard about my rage on vent when my team doesnt do well in matches. Basically I'm spending my time raging when I'm playing 5v5 without my team, either on capt games (thats why I dont play capt games) or in pub 5v5.

tyr, I have the Non-Official servers currently hosting a 6v6 TBD and 6v6 BALL, which are both hosted in Pennsylvania, which is fairly close to New England. I think the pings there should be decent for Europe people (same location as Captains Games).
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
tyr, I have the Non-Official servers currently hosting a 6v6 TBD and 6v6 BALL, which are both hosted in Pennsylvania, which is fairly close to New England. I think the pings there should be decent for Europe people (same location as Captains Games).
We've filled the 6v6tbd server up today, ping wise it was pretty good but there were quite a few lag spikes. Are you hosting this on your connection or an independent host? It seemed kind of overloaded, maybe too many servers to handle.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
We've filled the 6v6tbd server up today, ping wise it was pretty good but there were quite a few lag spikes. Are you hosting this on your connection or an independent host? It seemed kind of overloaded, maybe too many servers to handle.
You may be right on it being overloaded. I currently am running 7 servers through a VPS. I will take a look and probably cut a few off the list.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Quote:
This is probably the best thing about these servers. The viewscale is a little larger than the distance that most projectiles, sans explodet missiles, travel, making it impossible to die to random off screen spam that will kill you at least once every few minutes in other servers. Combined with the smaller plane scale, which makes dodging a practical reality, you get a game that is very unrewarding to random spam and encourages aiming.
Thank you Ferret, I couldn't have said it better myself.
And also:
Quote:
Yea exactly, if we were using the same viewscale for the league I wouldn't mind but we're not so it puts you off during league games if you get used to something else.
New England is not affiliated with the league or with any clan. We want only to create the best Altitude experience possible, and it would be unfortunate to let your desire for league wins get in the way of enjoying the game the rest of the time. But ponder this: what do you think is better training for the league, playing at league scale in a 7v7 public server, or playing at a slightly different scale in a 5v5 server full of kickass players?

Suggestion for the league: change official league scale to 110/95.

Quote:
There's already some of those out there, and I unfortunately can't create unlimited servers, so I won't be adding those anytime soon. I'm not quite sure I understood the rest of your post, but New England Servers are meant to cater to people who want to play a competitive game outside of clan and league settings.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:

what do you think is better training for the league, playing at league scale in a 7v7 public server, or playing at a slightly different scale in a 5v5 server full of kickass players?

Neither heh, that's why I stick to playing in the 5v5 tbd league scale servers.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Suggestion for the league: change official league scale to 110/95.
This would astound and delight me. Maybe do a trial run of this during the break? Then people can see how they like it when it "doesn't count"?

Come on, people! It's so good! SO GOOD. GIVE IT A CHANCE.

ignoring 110/95 is like ignoring altitude and playing zombie driver. it seems like a good idea on the surface, but in the end you're only hurting yourself.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Banned

I love the New-England Servers! My ping is really calm when I join these! Thanks guys
Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
This would astound and delight me. Maybe do a trial run of this during the break? Then people can see how they like it when it "doesn't count"?

Come on, people! It's so good! SO GOOD. GIVE IT A CHANCE.

ignoring 110/95 is like ignoring altitude and playing zombie driver. it seems like a good idea on the surface, but in the end you're only hurting yourself.
110/95 is awesome, I really really like it. Should it become the official size? I wouldn't complain a bit.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:50 PM

I guess I could deal with 110/95. I usually play windowed on a laptop, so my experience is probably different (read : less favorable) than some of you desktop ppl, however, it doesn't render the game unplayable for me, and it does put some skill into spamming, so I suppose over all it's a good idea.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 AM

Location: IM ON A BOAT MOTHER****ER TAKE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT THE MOTHER****ING BOAT

hmmm, i like the new england servers a lot. thx for moderating them better vi
Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 AM

PSA, care of your friendly neighborhood Hurri -

The New England servers are Vi's servers. She creates, debugs, and runs them, and she often plays in them. Because of this, they follow her rules. Do not disrespect Vi's server or Vi herself while playing in the New England servers.

Vi has been a critical part of the Altitude community since it's beginnings some (6?) years ago. She even wrote and performed the music for the game. The servers she offers are top-notch, far better than any other community run servers. It is our privilege to be able to play on them, not our right. To show a lack of respect for Vi or her servers is completely uncalled for. You don't like Vi or the New England servers? Don't play in them.

That is all

Edit : This was posted in reaction to spurious activity in the New England servers, not in response to any comments made in this thread.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Hi Vi!
Today (like 5 minutes ago) I came to the New England Adventure Sever, where some under level 60 players were playing an FFA. I got vote kicked the next second after I joined the server - no explanations, nothing.
Just wanted to let you know: the player who called such an abusive vote kick was shooshal, and the guys supported this were sumster98, Sgt. CCS, hosst7, Captain Prince
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM

I like New England.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Bump for updates. Due to more frequent lag spikes and relatively low usage Wyse has understandably dropped the New England TBD/TDM, NE Tournament, and NE Maze Exploration servers from the list of ones currently hosted. He has been nice enough to keep the more frequently used NE Deathmatch, NE Duel, and NE Adventure servers up. These servers continue to be great places to get some competitive play on assorted game modes!

As always, if you have any feedback, suggestions, or complaints having to do with the servers or the people who play in them post here and we'll take a look.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Default No change map in adventure

Hey Vi,

Awesome servers. New England Adventure is by far my favorite. However, in Adventure, there are many people who see 1BD or FFA or 1DE etc, and vote to change the map to the more popular TBD or Ball modes. Quite frankly, this takes away from the adventure of it all. Is there any way to prevent all votes to change the map, or just all votes period? I think they implemented a no-vote server in TFL Team Base Destruction, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to SPeciaL

my ping is just a little too high...would you please adjust max ping to 250? i'm around 220. please...so i can play 1dm. thanks for changing!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM

I think the community needs to be more aware of the amazingness of 1DM. I only get to play 1dm once every week or two. It sucks!!! We need to make 1dm popular. Any1 got ideas for this?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Vesuvius View Post
I think the community needs to be more aware of the amazingness of 1DM. I only get to play 1dm once every week or two. It sucks!!! We need to make 1dm popular. Any1 got ideas for this?
SWNSWNSWNSNW imo
Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Vesuvius View Post
Solution: Vi, Esoteric, and King play more regularly (do Vi and Eso even exist anymore?)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 PM

I still like New England.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 AM

ne duel is the best server ever made
Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 AM

I love new england servers but more maps should be made for 1dm in my opinion.