Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 AM

Default Connection Problems

Me and my roommates have been experiencing difficulty when trying to play together from the same network. We have high speed cable and the connection is fine for any of us as long as only one person is connected at a time. However, as soon as an additional person tries to connect they either can't connect at all or the other person who was playing originally gets booted off.

Two of us use ethernet connections to our router and one uses wireless, if that matters. Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 AM

Really no one else has this problem? We've tried reconfiguring a bunch of different stuff but nothing seems to work. Is it possibly just due to something being wrong with our internets?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Administrator

This is very like a router issue. Here's what to do:

1) Launch Altitude, click Options -> Gameplay -> Port, choose port 30001
2) Tell your roommate to do the same, but choose a different port, say 30002
3) Log in to your router and go to port forwarding
4) Forward port 30001 to your machine, 30002 to your roommate's machine
5) Profit!

Did it work? For info on port forwarding you may want to check out http://portforward.com/
Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 PM

I had the same issue as Tom there (my son and I play on same network), but I read your port forwarding sticky and figured it out. Was easy to fix thanks to Altitude's in-game port setting (my son set his to one port, and I different one, then forwarded the ports in my router).

This is a problem with a lot of internet multiplayer games when playing from the same network. It is certainly not necessary for you to fix this Lamster, but I wonder if there is a way to detect the problem then automatically switch ports (a hard fix), or maybe an easier solution would be to detect the problem and report a more detailed error to the user like (If multiple people playing Altitude on same network, set different ports for each, and forward the ports appropriately via your router settings).
Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Yeah I would definitely like to deal with cross-talk better. It's a bit tricky to test since I can't reproduce the behavior on my own router, and the exact nature of the cross-talk seems somewhat random (typically with routers aggressively reassigning port mappings mid-stream).

I'm thinking I'll just pop up a dialog when cross-talk is detected encouraging the users to set up forwarding rules. Perhaps you could help me test it when it's ready?