Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG View Post
New Server Admins
I would make a clamnificent admin just sayin

Quote:
Smurfing / Accounts with the same IP
FFR: There are apparently at least 3 sentient species, including me, in my apt building who (somewhat regularly) play alti and we're all on the same apt internet since I get router/port conflicts quite often. There are also a couple loose suiteys from first year who're in the building and they may or may not play every now and then, I haven't friended/kept track of their accounts.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM

• Website updated with full ranking lists plus a rules & server info page
  • Servers renamed to: AltitudeRank.com <mode> | US/EU#X
  • Fix for ties which apparently I broke in an update. This fix has not been tested but should work. If it breaks probably just a typo or something I will fix real fast. Really need to get a separate test database up to along with a test/experimental server. Will try to do so within the next week or so.

Will be retiring this thread soon and starting a fresh one but too tired to do so at the moment.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM

I really like it, great work vanish!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM

1DM maps changed to:
asteroids2
cave2
clocktower
grotto
fallout
fuji
scrapyard

Also middleground removed from TBD random list but can still vote it.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 11-16-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 AM

I am taking my servers offline to work on some updates (mostly bug fixes). I am going to leave them offline until tomorrow since Karl has posted that the Altitude servers will be down for maintenance. I will put them back up as soon after the maintenance is finished.

Looks like the two ball matches that did not count today were due to a typo in the code for processing kill assists. If a stat occurs after a player disconnects the log assigns the stat to player number -2 (which means server no longer knows who the player was who disconnected). All the code for processing stats first checks to make sure the player number is not -2, but missed the - sign in front of the two for the assist code. When -2 was coming in for kill assists it broke stuff. This also means assists for players who have had player number of 2 have not had any kill assists counted so far. Hardly matters since this is beta and stat errors are expected right now. Again stats from beta will be wiped before season 1 starts since they are not going to be fully accurate.

edit: Have also added a contact form to the website as another method of reporting server issues. If the parser breaks and /voteReport does not seem to be working, use the form which will send me an email.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 11-19-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Added maps:
ball_cliff
ball_hardcourt2
ball_bowserscastle
1dm_moon
tbd_cliff
tbd_volcano
tbd_leaf
tbd_chess
tbd_pyramid2 (changes to pyramid structure to open it up more)
tbd_poseidon2 (second bomb added to top)
tbd_skullisland2 (ceiling/top added to map)

If any maps are too unpopular or take too long they will be removed.

Also added a command for admins to stop a game without having to pass a vote. Will be adding additional admin commands such as move soon.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 11-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Thought of asking this a while ago but kept forgetting. So far, the only admins currently are Fart, J and you, right?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Us 3 + Balln and TC.

http://altituderank.com/rules/

-J
Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Decided to remove assembly and colosseum. Hopefully did not make any mistakes during update, was in a big hurry to get it done. Will be gone about 3 hours.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Eh decided to also take down Poseidon. Poseidon and Colosseum are definitely coming back though after adjustments are made.

edit: also created a ball_skullislands. I know the maps creator made a ball version but I have not been able to find the file. The version I have made is now on ladder. Will adjust if needed, but honestly think it will play quite well as it is now.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 11-24-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Internet went down, sorry! (this is from 3G)
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 AM

I don't know how severe are rules in this new ladder, but I just reread the first 20 pages of this glorious and infamous thread and someone really needs to play full random on a 5 game spree.

Please.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 AM

Sorry for the issues today. First problem was due to a bug in the recent update which did not work properly if a new player played in a match. That was fixed quickly.

I think the issue in US later was simply due to me not being thorough enough in my error handling and a very rare error occured. I am going to go through the code heavily tonight and try to greatly improve error handling.

edit: Update completed.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 11-30-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Fixed a bug that broke a 1DM match tonight. A player left the server immediately after teams were set for the match and rejoined the server soon after. Normally player ratings are stored in memory but removed after they leave. When gone, ratings pulled from database and there was a mistake in the SQL statement.

Will be updating the welcome message to provide more information on the server status upon joining.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:07 AM

Updated ball_bowserscastle2 undoing some of the changes to make it play closer to the original.

Major update again to ball_skullisland. Since people said top route still not viable, I actually put a top route OVER the spawn areas. Can't see any way top route won't be viable now. Not sure we've had anything like this on other maps so will have to see how well it plays. Top route is rather small so it is meant to be more of a quick route 1-2 players try to push the ball through where they are met on the other side by the rest of the team who took lower route. Also opened up some areas a little more.

Added 1DE conversions of poseidon, skullisland, moon, bowserscastle, fuji, and colosseum. I think they look good, but are untested so we will have to see.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 12-04-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Added a few more 1DE converted maps: asteroids2, scrapyard, and volcano. This gives the mode a good amount of maps so don't plan to convert anything else for now. Will update maps if needed though after trying them out. Wraparounds enabled on volcano which hopefully will not cause too much confusion.

I will be putting up a pub server dedicated to 1DE as well with all the maps.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Map updates:

ball_bowserscastle2 graphics glitch fixed so you will have to redownload
ball_skullisland updated again but removed from random list pending feedback/testing
tbd_thorn added to tbd and is in random list

tbd_thorns:

ball_skullisland:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
ball_skullisland:
RIP over the goal action. Your uniqueness will be remembered.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Updates:
tbd_thorns updated to version 3
Fixed bug that usually caused ladder to break when Altitude server starts a new log file.
Fix to prevent additional start votes from happening between end of start vote and map change.

Admin only commands:
/admin left
/admin right

During a ranked game lists the players (nickname and vaporid) who were assigned to the left or right team. Command mostly for admins to check who has left a match.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Fix to prevent additional start votes from happening between end of start vote and map change.
Sorry. Thank you.
Quote:
During a ranked game lists the players (nickname and vaporid) who were assigned to the left or right team. Command mostly for admins to check who has left a match.
Knowing who left a game should be a public utility imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG
/voteReport <Player> <Reason> command added to notify admins of any player or server issues that need to be dealt with.
This doesn't state what the issue is that is being attempted to be added to log. It just shows that some player issued the command during the vote.

Last edited by Aki1024; 12-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
Knowing who left a game should be a public utility imo.
Probably, but as of right now I already have a /admin <command> feature and don't have something similar for non-admins. I will add one, but need to think about how I want to do so. Really don't want to waste any more custom command space to will have to add a /cmd <command> or something.
Quote:
This doesn't state what the issue is that is being attempted to be added to log. It just shows that some player issued the command during the vote.
I am very aware. Its a tough call because it would be helpful, but also has the ability to be abused. The command is already abused enough as is. I imagine it would be a lot worse if the <reason> was displayed. I figure that in a real situation everyone in the server should be aware of the reason why the /voteReport was called anyway. I will investigate to be sure the reason is the actual reason if a vote passes.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I am very aware. Its a tough call because it would be helpful, but also has the ability to be abused. The command is already abused enough as is. I imagine it would be a lot worse if the <reason> was displayed.
The target person also isn't displayed. Perhaps that is enough info for everyone. I previously read the self target for server problem as being reporting bugs. Is that actually for parser not running?

Code:
=^.^= called a vote to report Mikesol.
Code:
=^.^= called a vote to report a server issue.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The target person also isn't displayed. Perhaps that is enough info for everyone. I previously read the self target for server problem as being reporting bugs. Is that actually for parser not running?

Code:
=^.^= called a vote to report Mikesol.
Code:
=^.^= called a vote to report a server issue.
What do you mean target person isn't displayed? It does as you say above.

/voteReport for a server issue may or may not work depending on how bad the problem is. That is why I also added a form to the website to report issues. Also can usually switch between EU and US to do a /voteReport. If database sever happens to go offline everything will be down though.

What additional commands should be added for players?
I can't think of very much..
Command to either list players on each team or list players who have left.
Command to show how long game has been.
Possibly some commands to show stats
??
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
What do you mean target person isn't displayed? It does as you say above.
My memory is probably poor.
Quote:
What additional commands should be added for players?
My bot once showed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltiLadder
AltiLadder: The last TBD game was 2h 56m ago. The last Ball game was 16h 57m ago. Yesterday there were 0 games played on TBD and 41 games played on Ball. In these games, 0 unique TBD players participated. The same is true for 41 Ball players.
That was more fun sql then anything though. I think you hit all the important ones. Left list, current duration, stats (lots of scope creep possible).

Those stats were gathered with this sql: http://pastebin.com/FSKqi3Yi
The last sql statement sometimes didn't work on the bot, which counted total point inflation on ladder by day. I think it failed if ladder for that game mode wasn't played in the previous day.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Fixed one more bug in voting that would cause parser to say a vote is in progress when it is not (occurred only when a start vote passed but there was no longer enough to play).

Updated ball_skullislands and added back to random list:

Added ball_thorns but not on random yet:

Updated tbd_thorns just slightly decreasing base size so it doesn't hang over the base platform.

edit: Thorns is just too big, going to work on making is smaller

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 12-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM

After a lot of hard work I present a complete makeover of ball_skullisland to make it much more ball friendly. Biggest changes include width reduction and smoothing of borders.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 12-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 AM

Yet another SkullIsland update to tweak middle/lower route.

I did not really want to alter any of Nikon's maps, but moved a few rocks and powerups in tbd_cliff due to complaints about the map (mostly Fart). Renamed to tbd_cliff2.

I expect to put up a few different USA ladder servers tomorrow for testing. voteMove will temporarily be changed to have US1, US2, and US3 options so that I can move us between servers.
  • US#1 will be the server I used early in beta. I believe pings were a bit more stable, but some had higher pings than on the server I have been using.
  • US#2 will be the server used for APL finals and more recently the AltitudeRank.com map test server. I don't think this will work any better but will give it a try since I still have it.
  • US#3 will be a new server located in Clifton, NJ. Also don't have high expectations for this but it is cheap and I don't think I have tried this location yet.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 12-12-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Added some stats for ball ladder at http://altituderank.com/ball/stats/

edit: Apparently the longest streaks data was not being collected correctly, fix coming...

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 12-13-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Just executed a script to update the season high win/loss streaks so they should be accurate now. Parser should also be fixed too so they stay accurate.

I am removing ball_skullisland to make some updates. Undecided if I am going to simply update team and background colors (parallax off) or also make some changes (mostly the middle area such as moving skull down and making it a bit smaller). I think I will probably end up making changes.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 PM

Server now locks those less than Ace 0 Level 45 in spec.

Soon I will also add a command for admins to create exceptions for those under Ace 0 Level 45 (for league) and demo users. I will also work on locking in spec those under level 13 at any ace rank.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
DEVING
Awesome stuff. Thank you
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Soon I will also add a command for admins to create exceptions for those under Ace 0 Level 45 (for league) and demo users. I will also work on locking in spec those under level 13 at any ace rank.
Done.

Also DN now admin. Be afraid.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM

god damn it, i should have never suggested it
Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 AM

4v4 Ball added. Hopefully adding the maps will not break ladder*
Random probability increased for some of the ball maps (asteroids, cave, grotto, ice, mayhem2, snow, labyrinth, planepark)

Have very low expectations for 4v4 ball but will see how it goes. I think it plays fine, but I don't think people will be that interested in it unless it counted towards Ball rating. However a lot of people would rage if it counted towards Ball rating. For now uses a separate rating so everyone is at 1500 and games will be unbalanced. In the highly unlikely chance 4v4 ball is extremely well liked, I would still consider combining the rating into normal Ball rating. I really don't see that happening though.

Unless 4v4 ball is greatly hated, I will soon add rankings page to website and rating to the /showRating command + welcome message.

*Not sure how much room left for server config - start tournament will fail if too big. I will most likely be around tomorrow when ladder starts so should be around to fix if anything goes wrong.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 PM

2 EU servers added for testing.

EU1 is the old EU
EU2 is a NL server (US pings slightly higher than EU1 [UK], most probably 7-10ms)
EU3 is a UK server

US1 and US2 removed. What was US3 is again the only US server. Currently named US1 in case I find any other US servers to test. Not real happy with it so hopefully will find something better.

Aki added as admin.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 01-02-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 AM

US3 added for testing. Server is in San Francisco, CA and like the new US2 Texas server is only meant for late night US ladder when most/all EU's have gone to sleep.

Texas is probably more viable since many EU's can still play. California will not have playable pings for EU's except possibly some in UK. California server is cheap though while Texas is fairly expensive. Don't think I know of any good alternative servers in Texas that are less expensive. Not sure if I will keep either of these unless ladder goes late enough regularly. Just checking them out right now.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Actually just found out that a host I have used in the past has finally expanded their cloud service to other locations. Probably will sign up for several to test them out.

Possible options include Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Chicago. If Dallas is comparable to the current US2, wouldn't mind paying for it if it is used. This host is $4/month (for any location) vs the $20/month of the current US2 host.

Personally I don't see much reason at the moment to pay for any servers except for a north east USA and UK. I would be willing to pay for another inexpensive server or two if they would be used at least occasionally. Would certainly be nice to get some lower pings for western US/Canada if ladder stayed up later (most likely either California or Texas location, but Seattle or Chicago could be considered).

edit:
Have put up test servers for Dallas, Los Angeles, and Chicago. May put the parser on and allow server moves between these soon to try them out. But for now parser is not running on any of these.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 01-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 PM

Finally added end game notifications. If a ranked game is in progress in the server, specs will be told about games ending on other servers through server whispers. If no game is in progress, server message announces to everyone.

No notifications are sent for clan vs clan games ending (at least for now) or games which are stopped.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 AM

New EU server up to try out (currently EU2, other EUs taken offline for now). Still UK. Pings should be about the same for most but am trying to find a more stable server. I am assuming this one will be stable as it is a much more expensive host but will have to test.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM

Today I tried my ping on the US Dallas Test Server once more and this time I was getting a stable 98 ping (wow ) so pings must be greater for almost anyone else in the US.