Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 AM

/voteReport feature removed due to abuse. You can still use the report form on the website.

Volcano, Skull Island, and Thorns removed from TBD servers.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 01-26-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 AM

nooooo thorns
Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 PM

EU1 up for now. Dont join EU2 as it is spiking and I have turned off parser. Got one more EU server to try which I will set up in a few hours. I think this new one may work well.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Can you fix the thing where /votemove us1 tbd does absolutely nothing when it passes?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 PM

/voteStop yes % required lowered to 61% but non voters count as no votes (disconnected players are not counted). Eventually will probably change it to require a certain number of votes but 61% essentially has the same effect.

Tournament Participants in Server : Yes Votes Needed to Stop
12 : 8
11 : 7
10 : 7
9 : 6
8 : 5
7 : 5
6 : 4
5 : 4
4 : 3
3 : 2
2 : 2
Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Server config changed to two ball servers and two tbd/dm servers for APL

Vote length changes, all were previously 20s
/voteStart, /voteStartTournament, /voteChangeMap: 15s
/voteStop (game in progress: 30s with reminder at 15s, including current vote results
/voteStop (captains picking): 20s with reminder at 10s, including current vote results
/voteMove (specs to start new game): 30s with reminders at 10s and 20s, including current vote results
/voteMove (in lobby): 20s with reminder at 10s, including current vote results
/voteTweet: 8s

Ratings shown for all modes server supports
Ball servers show Ball, 4v4Ball, and DB ratings.
TBD/DM servers show TBD and DM ratings.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 03-22-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 AM

ball_bowserscastle3 and tbd_cliff removed from random list. Increased chance of ball_core and ball_maze being picked with random.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG View Post
Increased chance of ball_core and ball_maze being picked with random.
Does random not give equal chance for each map? Or are core and maze just your personal favorites
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Hasn't been equal for several months. I just decided to increase probability for those two. Random picks a random number and uses the map at that place in the list. Some maps are listed twice in the list.

ballRandomMapList = ["antre", "asteroids", "asteroids", "cave", "cave", "cliff", "core", "core", "cross", "cryptic", "cutesy", "darkwar", "funnelpark", "grotto", "grotto", "hardcourt2", "ice", "ice", "illumination", "labyrinth", "labyrinth", "lostcity2", "mayhem2", "mayhem2", "maze", "maze", "planepark", "planepark", "reef", "skylands", "snow", "snow", "ufo", "warehouse"]

tbdRandomMapList
= ["asteroids", "bowserscastle", "cave", "core", "fallout", "focus", "grotto", "heights", "justice", "lostcity", "mayhem", "scrapyard", "underpark", "woods"]

I will probably further increase the probability of some of a few of the most popular ball maps by listing them three times.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 03-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 AM

/ball, /db, and /tbd added for short voteStart auto random commands
Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 PM

4v4Ball Removed

I would still like to have a ball mode with smaller team sizes but need to come up with something better. No plans to work on this for a long time but may try to after I am finished with developing ladder features.

Captains Removed

Captains is never played and I don't feel like trying to support it with the massive changes to ladder coming over the next month or two. It may be put back into ladder eventually.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 PM

I feel a bit bad that you're the only one working on this... someone like me probably can't help at all but if there is anything I could be remotely useful with do tell.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM

As far as development I have not been able to put in nearly as much time as I would like in 2104. Though making small updates regularly I have not accomplished anything significant for a long time.

Servers (seeking out hosts to try, setting up, testing, etc) and ladder administration has taken up the bulk of my time. I believe server testing is starting to settle down in that I have mostly narrowed down to a final group. Its just difficult to find servers that work well for the entire global ladder community. I am just too picky, too determined to find the servers with the absolute lowest latency and try too much to reduce the lag complaints.. even if the server is fine and it is just too great a distance to serve from one server.

Maybe I am just forgetful but it seems there is a lot more complaining these days compared to old ladder even when my server locations are better located and provide significantly lower overall latency.

Server administration is what is real frustrating though as it really gets in the way. Feels like I am always having to deal with player issues. Honestly I have often considered he possibility of ending the season and shutting down ladder for like 1 to 2.5 weeks. I would certainly get a lot more accomplished if ladder was offline for awhile. I got so much more accomplished back when I only ran short beta tests like once or twice a week when I first coded ladder.

I am hopeful I will finally get some time over the next few weeks to code some of the more significant updates and new features. When these updates are done and beta season 2 starts I will start accepting donations to cover server costs. I haven't wanted to accept donations yet as I wanted to be further along in development, have some kind of reward system in place, and have a better idea how much the recurring monthly cost for servers will be. At a minimum I expect to offer a limited amount of unlimited play passes each month which will allow a player to either get in every game they try to play or have a much higher chance of doing so. I hope to think of some other rewards but not real sure what else to offer.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

if a playtime-based reward is implemented then it should definitely scale downwards based on how many players there are in the server
Old 04-29-2014, 06:07 PM

I certainly am going to have to put some time into planning out the rewards. I don't want them to become a problem. Ideally I'd like to limit the amount of players with passes to play so it is still fair to those without them. At the same time I don't want to restrict the passes so much that people with them get frustrated.

I might make rewards of 1 hour play pass and 1 day play pass (based on donation amount) and make a it so only 2 or 3 passes can be active at any time. If the limit is reached a pass can not be used until another player's pass expires.

Keep in mind that when these awards are available, ladder is also going to be "pay to play" with virtual currency. While this will complicate ladder a bit more, I believe it will be the best solution to improve game quality. The better players should earn more than enough virtual currency to be able to play all the time. Newer or less skilled players will run of of money and temporarily not be able to play. To make it easier to start ladder, servers will be in a free play mode or something when a server only has "Number of Players to Required to Play + 2 or Less Specs".

I am also hoping this system will provide incentives for players to log on more. Like many mobile games you will earn virtual currency for stuff like helping start ladder, regularly joining ladder servers, etc. Specs will be able to bet on games, although Mikesol thinks players with throw games if betting is added. To prevent this I am going to have to make max betting rewards low. There will be a ranking page on the website for money earned.

There is also going to be an alternative ladder mode that assigns planes to players and they can't change during games. Players will set plane preferences and the team assigner will build teams with good plane comp. Randa will cost significantly more currency to use to help keep away bad randas. Biplane and bomber may cost a bit extra as well.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 AM

Internet just died.. Left cryp game cus of it sorry