Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Server News

Server News Announcements related to privately hosted servers.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:13 AM

Default Kyxball 24/7 Football / Atlanta

Hey all, this is a new ball server I purchased yesterday. It is run on a dedicated box from a datacenter in Atlanta GA (USA). This means that is is lag free due to high quality hardware and bandwidth as well as (as the title says) a 24/7 uptime.

I am looking to build this community up and I need people to join for that to happen. As we grow I will look into purchasing other features for the server such as ventrilo.

Even if no people are on (generally once 1 - 2 people play a flock of people join) you can play with 4 bots to grind some EXP if you are not 60.

Come check us out!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks for supplying a quality server! A couple quick comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyxoan View Post
I am looking to build this community up and I need people to join for that to happen. As we grow I will look into purchasing other features for the server such as ventrilo.
Imo you're never going to need to buy a ventrilo for just a single server. The Altitude community uses a single Mumble channel which has been quite effective since it contains the whole community in one channel.

Mumble server

Quote:
Even if no people are on (generally once 1 - 2 people play a flock of people join) you can play with 4 bots to grind some EXP if you are not 60.
You're not able to grind exp on bots. They only give you exp for your vet bars.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 PM

hmmm well I've gone from like level 10 - 30ish on bots so I'm not sure.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
hmmm well I've gone from like level 10 - 30ish on bots so I'm not sure.
Wha? Maybe I'm out of the loop then...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 PM

i know for a fact i leveled playing with the bots on my server.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
I very highly doubt that.. Were you dropping bombs on the bases/scoring goals or just killing them? If you were just killing them, you shouldn't be leveling up, but if you were bombing the bases/scoring goals then you can get xp from that. Either this or maybe the devs made it so that you get xp from them for a little bit, then it stops. We had a big big issue with this a while ago when alot of people were "Bot Farming", so I doubt they would let that happen again.. Although, I may be wrong.

EDIT: Browsing the old news posts, I found the post where it says that bot kills don't generate xp anymore. ---->HERE

Last edited by leggomyeggo; 11-29-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Found a link proving that bot kills dont generate xp
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Any plans to expand beyond football? It's great to have new servers, but somewhat disappointing to see so many football-only servers.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
i thought that bots just didn't give you exp after you ace. I think that you can level up using them during ace 0
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 AM

I could expand, but I love football =P
Old 11-29-2010, 03:31 AM

whenever I kill a bot I see a yellow "10"
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmo55 View Post
i thought that bots just didn't give you exp after you ace. I think that you can level up using them during ace 0
Ah that would explain it.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Any plans to expand beyond football? It's great to have new servers, but somewhat disappointing to see so many football-only servers.
To be honest, my football-only server is only empty during the day (when almost all servers are) but in the evenings (local time, i.e. GMT) it's always jam-packed. If I can fill a 14-player server with a queue of people waiting to get in and keep it like that until 3-4 am sometimes, then that's obviously what people want to play.

From what I see of my server list, the vast majority of the 100+ servers on there sit empty most of the time, even though they cater for every possible taste / ping. But the ball servers fill up quickly of an evening and don't get empty until very late at night. I was actually considering having another ball server going but I have to check things out before I do.

Admittedly some use them as a warm-up, but it's usually a warm-up to a clan match which means you couldn't join it anyway. I don't think more servers are needed, I think more players who want to play the other types of game are - and even then, they will still probably warm-up on football servers, and even then, the football servers will rarely be empty. There are dozens of servers just lying empty all evening switching between maps and game types.

There is one thing to note, though - servers basically stay empty until 4 people are on them. After that, they achieve critical mass and people join until it's completely full normally (unless you're running some insanely unplayable 32-player thing). If people aren't willing to stick around to get 4 real human players when they join an empty server, you won't ever get a game started.

I think it's more a sign of the userbase than the number of servers available - people who want a quick, fun game will end up on a ball server. Those who want a more strategic, long-haul game will end up in a clan or on a handful of servers. Everything else just stays pretty much empty.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Right ledow, and then you banned me from your server for having an opinion that differed from yours for 20 years. Exactly the reason I made my own server, especially since you won't respond to the PM I sent you on this forum.

It is not fun to play a game with all of the good players stacked on the server owners team while the server owner denies that that is the case... if you argue that (the top 4 killers and the top 3 scorers are on 1 team) and ledow disagrees he makes a sarcastic comment like "do I need to explain video games to you" which I still have no idea what he would say, the numbers were right there and the following game I had the top 2 killers and top 3 scorers on my team and it was 9 - 1 when I got banned. How right do I need to be?

Anyhow, I still like your server, I just wish you would be willing to take someones opinion without raging (btw I did do a vote to balance the teams in that previous game where the stacked team consisted of the top 3 players from my team who changed teams via clicking to make a balanced game an unwinnable game where we scored 0 goals since the swap) and it was denied by like 70% no by the other team mostly.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Aces can only level up in multiplayer, single player skirmishes and bot kills don't generate XP

My server is multiplayer not singleplayer, regardless of if there are bots are not it is not a "skirmish". I just hit 40 last night playing with 4 bots. You CAN level on my server even if someone isn't there, but as ledow said, once you get a 2 v 2 of players it fills up fast.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Hey, didn't realise that was you or I'd have been more careful on commenting on this post. I apologise for commenting here, at least, because I don't see any reason to stir things up and I just genuinely don't pay attention to usernames on here / in-game enough to have made the connection with this forum post.

You were banned, basically, because you were annoying. The server's for fun - play the game. You were complaining about balance, it wasn't actually that bad. The score was tilted to one side but the teams were shifting all the time and, to be honest, I've been on the opposing side of much worse scores.

You kept complaining so I told you that you can always vote on my server for a balance, to stop that exact thing distracting from the game. You did. It passed with 90% (with 14 people online, and I voted "Yes" just to tilt it in your favour even though I thought it was okay - you'd gone to the effort of complaining and voting, so I thought you probably *did* feel it was unfair). The server balanced.

You then spent the next ten minutes arguing that the "top three" players (by kill-scores and levels) had all been on the one side before. It was increasingly obvious that I was tiring of the conversation (kill scores and ace-level statistics mean NOTHING in football except how many people they shot, and how long they've been playing the game - it doesn't link to goal-scoring or passing skills or just general teamplay at all - the best football players I've seen tend to have extremely low statistics and spent half their time in goal or on suicidal goal-runs, or even passing KNOWING they would die doing so).

As I stated *immediately* after you made to leave the server (or so my logs say), if we were to go by kill-scores or ACE level, I should have been kicking everyone's arse (I was top of the server in kills and pretty high up in Kills-Deaths ratio, Ace 10) - in fact, I'm crap at the game, I just like to play it. Admittedly you do talk about "top goal-scorer's" at one point but, short of recording every goal-scorer and balancing them manually there's not much I could do about balancing that up fairly and if I did it would make for a pretty boring game.

In terms of what I was prepared to do for you at that point, there wasn't anything left. The server had balanced. Nobody else was getting a chance to talk. No-one else was complaining about the teams (and that includes before the vote), they were just trying to play (like - shock, horror - I was too). Then you started with the name-calling so you were banned. The ban wasn't for disagreeing, or for having an opinion, or for stating facts - it was for chat-spamming in a nonsensical (and historical) argument, where I'd already stated my position and that I couldn't and wouldn't do anything about, and mainly for the name-calling.

Basically, the one stated rule of the server - don't get in the way of people who just want to play a fun game.

For what it's worth:

- I don't read private messages on the forum (not even notified of them) because of a previous person who I banned (who by his own admission was an idiot) spamming me by PM every day for a fortnight in order to get back into the server - in the end, I just turned off all the options I could find for PM's.
- You were banned, mainly, for the use of a particular word in your name-calling which I happen to disagree with, but also for just generally being annoying and not letting the subject go and therefore interfering with play.
- There have been exactly 3 people banned on my server since it's inception. You, the person who sent the PM's to me, and someone who was reported to me by a regular that I then checked the chat-logs for. All bans are permanent ("forever" which shows up in altitude as 20 years for some reason) and I don't revoke them. I just want to play the game and not worry about politics, spammers, etc. so I see no reason to work on a "trust" basis by having only temporary bans. I've had the same policy for the past decade and a bit running servers for all kinds of game.
- If I'd known this was your post for your server, I wouldn't have commented to stop any petty bickering spilling onto the forum. I apologise for that.

Hope that clears things up - good luck on your server and if you need any help with configuration, knowing your bandwidth / CPU / RAM limits, etc. I'd be glad to help. It's just that I didn't want to play with you any more.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Thats fine, I just want to clarify that there was no "name calling" when I was banned. I used the word retard in context and said something along the lines of.

"If you can't see that having the top 4 killers and top 3 - 4 scorers on 1 team is unfair then you are retarded" I never actually said you were a retard but I was merely pointing that out. Theres a reason the blue team was winning 9 - 1 when I got banned.

It's your server and you can ban who you want to I guess. Good luck.

*edit* another clarification *edt*

You kept complaining so I told you that you can always vote on my server for a balance, to stop that exact thing distracting from the game. You did. It passed with 90% (with 14 people online, and I voted "Yes" just to tilt it in your favour even though I thought it was okay - you'd gone to the effort of complaining and voting, so I thought you probably *did* feel it was unfair). The server balanced.

This balance happened the previous game when the score was ~ 2 - 8 in the other teams favor I asked for some team balance, it was granted as you said and the score ended up getting closer, when we then started to win, our top dogs left our team to go to the other team and created an 8 - 9 goal streak to win the game 18 - 17.

The second game (the game I got banned) I was commenting how yet again, the teams were unbalanced, the score was 9 - 1 and that is not fun for anyone. I would really appreciate you explaining "online gaming" or whatever it was you said right before I was banned when I responded with the "retard" comment so I can better understand your views.

To my knowledge, online gaming has many variables due to players not being scripted, which means some care should be taken to balance that wide variety of skills by a system or the admin themself to present the most fun environment possible. Losing 9 - 1 was not fun for the other team, and most of the people were not talking to begin with, so perhaps english was not their native language so they had no way to complain about the balance issue.

It really is simple though, if I came back on the server during "prime time" I could list off who the best scorers are in the game in 2 rounds just by the way they play, same with killers (via numbers) and playmakers (which I tend to be where I set up passes which lead to goals). If the top people are all on one team, something should be done to fix that, instead of letting it go on for 20 minutes so the score is 100 - 5. When it was 9 - 1 it was maybe 4 - 5 minutes into the round, meaning the other team had 15 more minutes to deal with it, or the top dogs would just all swap teams to "catch up" thus making it not fun for the previous winning team. It is better to have a balanced game than a lopsided game. A game where it is 6 - 7 10 - 8 etc not 9 - 1 18 - 4 those are not fun. Again, if you can not see who is the best scorer(s) at any given point on your server, then you have a serious problem.

The funny thing is, I really had no idea you were an admin of that server, I knew the server was "someones football server" and I remembered reading a post here but I really never put 2 + 2 together. You were not very vocal at all and really didn't present the "i'm an admin" aura that I'd expect from an admin. No warnings were ever given that I might be banned, it kind of just happened within a conversation. I don't believe you ever told me to stop talking, or said anything like "This is my server, shut up or leave" but again I had no idea you were the owner, my fault I guess and I appologize, I figured you were just some troll goading me into unfair match talk.

Last edited by kyxoan; 11-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

ledow,

You make some good points about the popularity of football and about servers filling up after a tipping point. The issue I raised is like the "chicken or the egg" in that it's hard to know whether having more football servers encourages people to only play football, or if the demand for football increases the number of such servers.

Football is a fun map that does not require much skill. Because of this, it's popular among newer players and among players who want a more casual experience. It's an important choice that should be available to the community. My concern is that players who would otherwise just join any partially-filled server with all maps will instead see 13/14 on two or three football-only servers and join because those are the ones available/popular. They will then get used to football and not much else and not improve their skills (as quickly).

A few months ago, I can't remember any/as many football-only servers, so players were -- for lack of a better word -- forced to play on Ball Bouncy or Official or Dojo servers (or at least other private servers with multiple maps). I think it improved their game play. Improved skill -- while not a goal of all players -- leads to more involvement in the community, whether it be joining a clan, competing in tournaments, or playing in ladder. I will say that I am encouraged by the recent football-only clans that have joined the European Ball League and are gaining skill at ball.

Players will gravitate towards partially-filled servers instead of empty servers. This can be seen late at night when a 6v6 game of pro players is happening on a Ball Bouncy server and someone finally asks, "Why are we on bouncy?" and the whole crowd moves to a normal wall server. I'm just not sure those 42 players filling three servers would choose football if there weren't so many football-only servers. But I could be wrong, definitely.

Anyway, one more thing... disabling private messages isn't a great solution to a single user harassing you on the forums. A better idea is to contact a moderator (e.g. me) and explain the problem so that we can take appropriate actions to warn or ban that user.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM

tg- is this forum offiically related to the team that made altitude? As in are you part of nimbly? I think it would be cool to talk to the game devs is all (if you were one of them =P)
Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
tg- is this forum offiically related to the team that made altitude? As in are you part of nimbly? I think it would be cool to talk to the game devs is all (if you were one of them =P)
Yes, these are official forums provided by Nimbly Games. However, I am a volunteer who was appointed by the developers to moderate the forums (but no other aspect of the game). I do not work for Nimbly Games.

Be assured that the developers are active on the forums and take every suggestion and tech support request seriously. If you check the News forum, you can see announcements from the developers about patches, new features, etc.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Hey all, this is a new ball server I purchased yesterday. It is run on a dedicated box from a datacenter in Atlanta GA (USA). This means that is is lag free due to high quality hardware and bandwidth as well as (as the title says) a 24/7 uptime.

Come check us out!
most altitude players use mumble. You could definitely set up a ball-football mumble channel in the official altitude mumble server to get more support for your server.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 AM

It just sucks that to get people to join... you need 4 people to play.... to get 4 people to play.. you need people to join. It is a vicious cycle, but once you get started it explodes, I just wish people would favorite it and play on it =P
Old 11-30-2010, 05:58 AM

actually had some people on tonight, was fun and everyone said their ping was a lot better than the other servers (mostly UK based I think?) but perhaps they were from america vs europe.

I just know my server has top of the line hardware in a 100 mbps up / down bandwidth datacenter so the pings should be as good as possible. But I hope to see more of you playing!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 AM

Been filling up lots lately, very suprised, I have no idea what happened, it seemed like no one was playing for months, but the past week we have been full. I have converted my 10 slot hard wall server to mirror the 14 slot that gets filled up fast so we essentially have room for 24 players instead of 14, but it is broken up because football is no fun with 24 people at once.

The 10 slot server is on the same hardware as the 14 slot, so you can expect the same 0 lag, high quality gameplay just like the 14 slotter.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
There have been exactly 3 people banned on my server since it's inception. You, the person who sent the PM's to me, and someone who was reported to me by a regular that I then checked the chat-logs for.
That must be me then. Like the OP, I am also a frequent user of the word retard. I always thought it's usage in the movie The Hangover was funneh.

Football servers are where many players are forced to play when they are queueing to play on other good servers. I played football at the start and it is the ruination of my game style. I fly too fast and don't shoot enough and don't obey the lanes like I should.

Having said that, I have played in kyxoan's server even tho its 1500 miles from me - and the ping is STILL more stable than Ledow's hunks of junk.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM

That is what enterprise hardware in a top of the line datacenter does compared to a cardboard box in someones basement.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
That is what enterprise hardware in a top of the line datacenter does compared to a cardboard box in someones basement.
*cough*

https://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/...miumDodekaCore

*cough*

At least for my servers 2-6 - server 1 is on a smaller dedicated with Tagadab with some SVN repositories. Some people just have ****e routes / computers and get flaky pings. Others get <10ms to servers constantly.

But to be honest, dragging a bitching session across threads is a bit pointless. You think my server's ****. You (both) got banned from it independently (and thus haven't played on it in, what, a year?). You've said it a million times. Other people are playing happily every night, and not whinging, so maybe it's just you.

PLEASE - if you don't like and/or got banned from my server: GO PLAY ON KYXOAN'S SERVERS! They're just as good, if not better. And drop the kindergarten crap and mud-slinging about a poxy game, for God's sake.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 AM

That was just a general statement about some people who like to host servers on their mom's computer, not directed at you Ledow. Your post above is a bit misleading though so maybe you weren't talking to me, yet you quoted me.

I played on your server and was fine when I did, that is why I played there, but since you banned me, and all other ball servers I played on were crap, I made my own.

I do tend to make posts like the one above when people talk about my server(s) though because I pay top dollar to ensure my stuff is the best of the best. In minecraft people would rent dedicated servers from all these various companies, linking all these big words and pretty colors, and you would get on their server and realize it is ****, mostly because their dedicated server was really a VS, or that the data center it was Colo'd in was junk.

I'm personal friends with my provider, and his colo cost alone is 250 a month per server, not to mention the hardware costs. But that is why I pay a bit more in most cases, but it is also why I get the best ping available, the least lag, the least down time, etc across all games.

I just got a CSS server last night, and am already on the top of the ping list as the best server, and I just got it. You get what you pay for.

*edit* I just clicked your link, you pay 500 pounds, which is like 750$ a month? You are insane or rich, or linked the best they offer. But yea, 1and1 servers are pretty poorly rated from what I was able to google. Kind of looks like my above example. Pretty colors, big numbers and words, but bad reviews on a consumer standpoint. To run altitude though, you need like 24 megs of ram and a good internet connection, so it isn't really a good game to judge with =P.

Last edited by kyxoan; 04-27-2011 at 10:56 AM.