Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

The one in the red is what I'm talking about. Sorry, I meant on your keyboard, not in the actual map editor. If it still doesn't work and you can't find a way to delete it, you could possibly just move the object outside of the map space so it's not in anyone's way anymore.

Otherwise, I dunno (where's nikon when ya need him? D: )

Last edited by leggomyeggo; 02-13-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Ooooh nikonnnn, come out come out wherever you areeee
Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 AM

This is correct. You can also cut the selection using ctrl+x and just not paste it by hitting escape.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 AM

Thank you. The reason I was struggling is that my macbook’s keyboard does not have a delete key, only a backspace key. After a little research, I discovered that pressing function backspace works like the delete key, which deletes objects fine.

I have another question though, is it possible to change a maps size once its been created?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM

Location: In YOUR base, defusing YOUR bombs and boosting MY ratio

Yes, go into view editor, right click your layer that you want to change the size of, and click configure (name) and you will see width and height boxes, then type in the width and height in the correct boxes

Last edited by CrapBlaster*CT*; 03-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Basketball Map

I am currently working on a basketball map, so I was just want to know what are the dimensions of the football map so I can make them the same as for basketball map

Please Answer ASAP
Old 06-27-2016, 08:32 PM

u can import existing maps into the map editor thru file -> import
the "view editor" window holds the dimensions of it
Old 06-28-2016, 05:51 AM

Don't you just press open and click on a map?
It works for me, didn't need to do anything fancy, it imported it by itself.

Just a question, how does parallax work? To be more precise, how does the bounds and dimensions relative to the original map size affect the scroll, and what determines if the layer will just disappear? Related to my previous question, how do you avoid layers disappearing midgame when leaving the area it is visible? There needs to be a comprehensive parallax guide D: Hope someone can answer my questions.

Last edited by Mango777; 06-28-2016 at 05:57 AM. Reason: A question
Old 06-28-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
Don't you just press open and click on a map?
It works for me, didn't need to do anything fancy, it imported it by itself.

Just a question, how does parallax work? To be more precise, how does the bounds and dimensions relative to the original map size affect the scroll, and what determines if the layer will just disappear? Related to my previous question, how do you avoid layers disappearing midgame when leaving the area it is visible? There needs to be a comprehensive parallax guide D: Hope someone can answer my questions.
Parallax for me is just something you adjust and test a million times until you get the effect you desire.

I don't know for sure, but it probably moves based on the percentage of difference between the game layer and the parallax layer sizes. What this percentage is?
Maybe you could start research with a map that has a still overlay and use that as 0. I think you posted that formula somewhere in the forums, right? Adjust, record. Adjust, record. Then change layers sizes, adjust, record; adjust etc the compare notes from the different map sizes to find a common rate of increase.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 PM

Well, I guess I have to do this the hard way, again XD
Wish the map making greats were still here, like Nikon and Maimer. Maybe they had a method for parallax. Or maybe they also did guess and check.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 PM

Parallax layers scroll such that the edges align with the Game layer when the viewable screen reaches the prescribed Max or Min value. If your parallax layer is bigger than the Game layer, then it moves faster so that it can make it from one edge to the other as your traverse the map. If your parallax layer is smaller than the Game layer, then it has to move slower, so that the Game layer can catch up with it. If your mins are 0, and your maxes are equal to Xmax and Ymax, you are done and don't have to read further.

To start, let's ignore changes to cameraScale. The screen is 1280x720, you need to keep this in mind with parallax and for items which should only be available on a limited section of the screen. Since the bottom left corner of the screen is coords 0,0, you need to work with that. You often need to subtract 720 from Ymax and 1280 from Xmax if you want to keep something motionless. If you want something to appear and then disappear, you still have to consier where the bottom-left corner is when you want it to be visible.

Now, for a complicated example. Let's take the minimaps on some of my race maps. Here are a few facts about the map:

* The Game layer is 5237x3301
* cameraScale is 80, so the screen is 1280x720 * 80% = 1024x576
* My minimap is 200x120
* I wish for the minimap to stay in the bottom-right corner of your screen
* I don't want the minimap to touch the edges, so I put that padding inside my minimap layer as unused space.

For a minimap, the two screen locations you care about the most are when the screen is in the bottom-left corner of the map, and the top-right corner of the map. So, what are my settings:

* Xmin=829 (1024-200+fudge) The fudge came from trial and error after computing the math. What this says is that when you are on the left side of the map, the minimap should be over to the right of the screen.
* Ymin=0 This should be pretty self explanatory, when you are on the bottom of the map, the minimap should be at the bottom of your screen.
* Xmax=5242 (5237+fudge) The fudge came from trial and error after setting the right size of my layer to have an Xmax of the right side of the Game layer
* Ymax=2845 (3301-576+120) Wow, no fudge for this one! So, this is Ymax-screen height+height of minimap layer. This is the highest Y position the top of the layer can ever get.

I hope this helps, I have found that I almost never need fudge when cameraScale is 100.

Last edited by biell; 06-28-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 PM

Wow, I think this was almost exactly what I wanted! I think I finally got how parallax works. There are still plenty of unanswered questions, but now I can start creating some of the parallax effects I wanted to make. Thanks biell!