Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

View Poll Results: Repair Drone, Yay or Nay? .
Yes, remove repair drone from the tourneys. 19 33.93%
No, keep repair drone 37 66.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 PM

Default 1v1 Tourneys Repair Drone

Its my belief that including the repair drone perk in a 1v1 tourney forces every applicant to use it. 1v1ing someone with repair without having it yourself means they can widdle you down over time by just retreating around the map every time they are slightly damaged. This forces you to use repair on each and every plane and assures campy, long and most certainly unfun games. I propose that for the 1v1 tourneys that the repair drone perk be barred from the competitions.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Its my belief that including the repair drone perk in a 1v1 tourney forces every applicant to use it. 1v1ing someone with repair without having it yourself means they can widdle you down over time by just retreating around the map every time they are slightly damaged. This forces you to use repair on each and every plane and assures campy, long and most certainly unfun games. I propose that for the 1v1 tourneys that the repair drone perk be barred from the competitions.
How are you going to do this Kuja? I don't think you can "ban" perks from a game. Unless you kick the people and warn them t hat they can't use it. I don't see what will stop people from using the Repair Perk.

"War isn't fair..."

I personally don't think it needs to be removed, if you remove the "repair" perk, then remove the miranda, it isn't fair when you shoot and it fly's off.

That would be awesome if you could disable things in the "Server_Configurator" but you can't, so my Question is, how are you gonna do this?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure why you bring up the quote "War isn't fair" into a video game. Altitude, along with pretty much every video game I've played, is not designed to emulate war in a realistic sense. Do you honestly think we have repair drones flying around our airplanes when we send them out irl?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Trying to argue that there is a strategy which has no counter is ridiculous, expecially in a balanced game like altitude. Just because you don't know how to fight someone with repair drone doesn't mean that it's impossible.

I mean seriously how many games have you played 1v1 where you were in this situation, i'm going to guess one then you got fed up and ragequit. Try to look at the situation from a different angle before you go "banning" things.

Doing this will probably help your moderating skills as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Default 1v1 Tourneys Repair Drone

Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Remade so votes would be public
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Dueling someone with less health than you and no repair drone feels exactly like being a chip leader bully at a poker table. It can be interesting to watch, but don't pretend the game is balanced once any damage has been taken.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

In all my experience with 1dm (which is a fair amount, as it's definitely my favorite mode), I have not found that repair drone provides a significant enough edge over other perks to warrant banning it. It all comes down to what your preference and individual playing style is like. If you are used to evading the other plane and picking up health packs then not using repair drone may give you an advantage as you get the benefits of other perks... Let each individual player decide how they'd like to duel and what perks they have the most experience with.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triped View Post
Dueling someone with less health than you and no repair drone feels exactly like being a chip leader bully at a poker table. It can be interesting to watch, but don't pretend the game is balanced once any damage has been taken.
But this forces everyone into a uniform style of playing. As it stands now everyone will be forced into using the exact same perk setups. I'm trying to avoid 5 tourneys of mirror camping contests.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mr.OneTwo

Well really it's not correct at all; people who trained years with repair drone WON'T be happy. Anyway, I hate repair drone, and maybe it would make 1 vs 1 soooooo more boring than it is.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 PM

Flexible Wings is a must in a 1v1 bip duel.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 AM

Me and Monx found that Flexi's the way to go biplane versus biplane. Repair is definitely the way to go for explodet, bomber and miranda though. Not sure where Loopy falls.

Repair versus repair is often less fun though, as well as resulting in much longer matches (no small consideration in tournaments of this size.)

I'd say remove repair, but might be too close to the matches for that.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

I don't use repair drone, but I say keep it. If I equip my loopy with heavy armor and go against a loopy with repair, we each have an advantage. As was said, it all comes down to strategy (evade and find health, or pick away a shot at a time).

Besides, how long can a 1dm 1v1 really last?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Default emphathize with Kuja

I actually here what Kuja is saying, but agree with some of the responses too. I think that strategically you "have" to match up repair-repair...OR like leaf says, just jump the guy when he is down and you have more life cause you got some armor on...either way, both are part of the game and even if repair was banned, it would have to be voluntary compliance and knowing some of the characters out there that haggle for no reason, utter nasty words...I wouldnt pass it past someone to toy with it during game, a dispute ensue, and all hell break loose over discrepencies where honest guys like me would be spending more time trying to screenshot evidence of such travesties where honor should prevail.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
I don't use repair drone, but I say keep it. If I equip my loopy with heavy armor and go against a loopy with repair, we each have an advantage. As was said, it all comes down to strategy (evade and find health, or pick away a shot at a time).

Miranda vs X? Very. ****ing. Long. And then some.

That said, I feel it has more to do with miranda being very good in 1v1 + there aren't that many open maps(such as Hills for instance) where miranda would be at a disadvantage. So keep repair drone but think more about the map pool to make it less suited for miranda.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
You have no clue.
Repair has made for some of the most boring, dumb, boring games I've ever played. So much that I end up suiciding on purpose just so more people can play again in the 1dm servers.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:02 AM

honestly, if you are going up against someone with repair, equip heavy armor, and just go all out on them. Aim for a 1 hit ko, its that easy. and if its a miranda, then use another randa but with heavy armour, so they cant 1 hit k.o you, but you can keep up with them, and 1 hit k.o them. honestly, its not that hard. just because you dont have an effective way to deal with it, doesnt mean that other people dont, and it does NOT mean that its "unfair".
Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 AM

Well, regardless of whether or not it's balanced, or whether or not it 'forces' people to adopt the same configurations, or whatever, I'm going to say no, keep it, just on principle. It may not be Sunday yet, but the tournament has already pretty much started, the brackets were posted, some people (me included) have already finished their first matches. Changing rules mid-tournament, and thus forcing people to replay their matches just because you're unhappy with a single perk, is just bad form and reflects very poorly on the organization of these little leagues. If you set a precedent for things to just keep changing mid-stream because someone cries 'foul' then there would be no end to it, and participating in the 1v1 tournaments wouldn't even be worth it at that point.

It's a valid argument to have, but it would have been much better to ask this on the 28th of last month, or sooner, when the idea for these tournaments was in its formative stages. And if it still irks you that much, then try to make it a change for the next tournament (should there be one).
Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 AM

I really don't believe that repair drone should be banned, because, as posted before, it never really poses a threat. In practice today, I was completely torn apart by a flexi wings biplane when I had repair drone. In fact, repair drone could actually be a hindrance, given that the other plane will still hunt for you when you get injured.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Biplane is the only exception
Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Repair drone ruins 1v1 in the same manner that, say, Explodet ruins 5v5.

As an Explodet player yourself, as well as an avid league player, I'm sure you'll agree with the analogy here. In the same way you say using repair drone forces other people to use repair drone in 1v1, so does fielding Explodets in 5v5 force the other team to field Explodets in 5v5. Perhaps we should ban Explodets?

You said yourself that this is only your opinion, and its clear that there is no lack of supporters for keeping repair, especially considering the tournament has already begun.

If you feel so strongly that repair ruins 1v1s, you should talk to everyone who plays in the tournament after its over and see how they all feel. Until then, lets all enjoy the games.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

This might sound outlandish or completely unheard of, but how about designing maps with carefully timed health spawns in certain locations. Blanket-banning an entire perk is, of course, a better option than a little innovation or common sense.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 AM

can only use repair drone in randas and splodet match. other then that, no drone allowed imo
Old 01-09-2010, 07:09 AM

I think banning anything in the game is ridiculous, Snowsickles idea is by far the best. IMO the 1dm maps should have most powerups spawn as health, and at times spawn real powerups so the 1v1 wouldn't be only about hammering away at someone but would have a bit of map control in it.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Snowsickle's idea is interesting, but would require a lot of work.

Personally, my gut tells me that Kuja is probably right (given the current maps), but not enough 1v1 has been played imo to judge yet.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 AM

I think banning repair drone would effectively handicap a lot of players, cause the players that use other green perks would be favored. Repair drone is the most popular green perk on bomber, explodet. As for miranda repair is used in 99% of the setups. I do agree that repair wins if the match drags out but I think the medpack idea should be looked into. Cause if this ban passes why don't we ban flexible wings on loopy? I feel it gives too much advantage in loopy vs loopy. This was just an example, I think any ban will just lead to a snowball effect. Every other balance path should be looked into before outright banning perks.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm not experienced, so i wouldn't know, but if powerups are allowed, wouldn't health packs mitigate this issue?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Adding two health spawns on a reasonable timer to a handful of maps isn't all that much work. An hour or so with the map editor, plus putting them up on a pro-league server designed for this?

No-repair matches are not fun. These fights end up being offscreen spam-fests where the first person to be hit by a stray projectile is at a significant disadvantage.

But hey, I'm not actually in the tournament so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Snowsickle; 01-09-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsickle View Post
Adding two health spawns on a reasonable timer to a handful of maps isn't all that much work.
This would actually work really well for everyone imo.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 PM

If repair drones are banned then items should also be banned.
Do 1v1s have items? I should hope not.