Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Season scheduling issue

From a post in the week 1 thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post
first of all, the scheduling is done by this method.

I use my calculator, and use a random number generator to give all teams, a respective number. 1-16,... like, lets say flb and IB got 4, 9, and l* got 11. I then use the calculator again to find out the order of matches,... so 4, 9... etc... ends in 11,

4 plays 9 and 11, and so on...

IL, stop complaining, you got unlucky and i'm sorry but just because i saw this, and didnt change it, doesnt make me horrible. There are other teams that ae probably complaining to but who would expect to see FLB and Lobstars play in the first week?

To be honest, you shoud be happy. Since you're expecting the 0-2, seeing ur reaction, u will be playing the next week with only 0-2 teams, so it will be easy for u, then 2-2, so u will be playing taems only with 2-2 record, like, you can still make playoffs and u probably wont be playing teams of such a calibur till the last week, so please.

Teams will play with teams with the same recordor close to it. Like Lobstars was 4-2 and played ace who were 6-0, last season cuz they hadnt played yet, and ACE was 7-0 playing almost every team and they got a bye. If the other admins have problems with this, i will sure as hell change the schedule, but assure you they wont. I'm sorry IL, but ur gonna have to deal with the 2 easy weeks after this one, making it easy for u to make playoffs.

I do everything randomly, im not favoring any teams as i am not even playing on a team before.

Any more complaints, you can pm me or actually just post them here, so other people can see them.

IMHO, this is a stupid way to do the scheduling. It makes no sense that teams should play teams that are close to their own record--every team should have the same strength-of-schedule in the regular season.

In fact the fairest way of scheduling would be to have a full round robin played out. With 15 teams (or is it 16?) everybody would have to play 14 other teams, which would take just 7 weeks. This is probably a bit long, so if it makes more sense for the season to take 4 weeks, then everybody could play 8 games. Still, everybody should be playing a subset of teams that are roughly equivalent in strength. It makes no sense that a mid-high tier team like FN would have to play all four of ACE sammich fLb L*, whereas a lower team like JC would have to play only 1-2 of them.

With "equal strength" scheduling in place, the scheduling could also be done all at once in the beginning of the season, and then people would know what teams they're going to be playing weeks ahead of time. That way, people won't have to scramble to practice when the week's schedule get posted and they realize they have a match against both ACE and sammich on the same day.

Therefore I propose that all scheduling (at least the teams played, the actual times played could be done later) be done this week so that people will be able to see the entire list of teams they have to play for the regular season, and will be able to see that their schedule is fair with everybody else's. Also, that will mean that we will know how when exactly the regular season ends and the playoffs start (as far as I know, how long the regular season is has never been communicated to us. Is it 4 weeks?)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM

I agree. We're just going to end up playing the same 4 or 5 teams over and over again throughout this entire league. The same 4 or 5 teams that we've been playing against for the last year. I'm with nobo.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM

all vs. all please.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM

I also agree. Gw nobo!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM

That would be very nice ,also i dont think "all vs all" is too much time cos we are bored anyways when there is no apl, and lower teams will get a chance to play "pros" :P
Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 PM

It seems perfect to me.

16 teams, each team plays every other team once... that's 15 games

With 2 matches every weekend we'll have 1 left for the last week so that's 8 weeks (around 2 months of regular season)

Plus 3 more weeks for the playoff (Q-F, Semi-F, Finals)

That's around 3 months. We can't have as many leagues every year of course, two would be the limit but it's much more interesting. Also it would make this semester much more fun if every sunday I get to play competitively .
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 PM

I also agree on that. It's a much more interesting and for all representative way to know who's finally better.

We've been playing in small tournaments throughout all of the mid-season - so why don't we just enjoy the real season for 3 months. Then it could be named - APL Spring Session, APL Autumn Session (or Season).

IMO to implement it - we should have an opinion of all the major clans (or the majority of clans). As far as I can see now - L*, IL, ACE(?) and DW will support the idea.

Last edited by Tosconi; 03-03-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM

24 hour marathon altitude session is the only way to go. That way the league is done in one day instead of a few months. Great success.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 AM

I like this idea, but worry about some of the flakier teams. Under the current system the teams that don't show are going to filter themselves out and competitive teams won't have wasted slots.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 AM

In addition, there's also the potential for abuse: intentionally blowing off one week to get easier opponents for several weeks ahead. Also, not only do you affect your team, but also the teams you're playing against. I don't have time to think of a specific scenario where you can sabotage another team, but I'm sure it could be done somehow under the current system.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 AM

i hadn't thought about it like that rye, actually there are some good points here that would serve us well to implement them.

Although personally i like the element of surprise when finding out who my team will face, doesn't work so well in the bigger picture.

I would preferably like a mixed modes setup to put into practice tactics and plays from other modes, i think TDM is highly under-rated, ball has gotten some great recognition and featured in the previous 2 preseasons and a ladder of its own. Ball is exciting at the moment and the standard of players and link up play between them are awesome to watch sometimes.

Not suggesting, for instance, 1 Ball and 1 TBD/TDM match per opponent ,

maybe spring session could be TBD, Summer could be Ball, Autumn could be TDM and winter could be mixed.

That way i could see encouraging teams from all around with different mode strengths to look to capitalize on their strongest mode/session.

That way players would fastly develop a rounded game.

Or perhaps some of us are thinking, "stuff that for a game of soldiers i want TBD!" and my ideas will count for nothing.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 AM

Yes last season's schedule was pretty lame, we didn't get to play half the teams in the league lol. The fairest way would be for everyone to play each other once.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 AM

agreeeeeed
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 AM

I see nothing wrong with a 7-8 week regular season. If this league is furreal then a round robin style reg. season would be ideal.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with everyone.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 AM

This is all kind of last minute but I do agree.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

nobo for president
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM

i agree, imo it should be more like a league with a table, as seen in soccer where you play each team twice and 3 points for win, 1 point for draw none for loss, if it was of 4 games, you could have this method if it is 2-2 then i point each. the reason for playing each team twice is so each team get home advantage, however that does not exist in altitude so is optional. IMO this would determine the best teams as it forces teams to prove consistency. plus it means it lasts longer and less time waiting around for next league all the time it makes things boring. I expect people to disagree but imo its just the idea of change people would find wierd! no one can say it wont prove true consistency. (also recorde goal difference and concedes to basically exatly the same as soccer (english premiership)

love nip
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

actually, from the summer league, someone from your team complained about playing the lesser teams because who would want to show up FLB vs $$ (mo money mo problems) just to have a not fun match and end up in complete slaughter

^^ not my words...

We did this because this was the most agreeable, and teams that dont deserve to make playoffs could make it easily if they luckily got the 8 worst teams out of the 16...

16 matches isnt favorable, especially tyr says its tiring and time consuming. This league is run as many other leagues and is the best format which is why i follow it. It's the best competitively and its the most adequate.

I'm not saying i wouldnt change anything, if more people want to play every team thats fine with me. The summer league caused problems because you would schedule all the matches, and some teams just dropped out, which wasted alot of work and made us work harder. This format is just easier to work around with.

The next season will be a completely different format with different modes, you guys will be happy to see this.

Last edited by evilarsenal; 03-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The next season will be a completely different format with different modes, you guys will be happy to see this.
! *Lifts head in hope for a 1DM event.*
Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 PM

if ur team supports it then yea ;P facepie
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
actually, from the summer league, someone from your team complained about playing the lesser teams because who would want to show up FLB vs $$ (mo money mo problems) just to have a not fun match and end up in complete slaughter

^^ not my words...

We did this because this was the most agreeable, and teams that dont deserve to make playoffs could make it easily if they luckily got the 8 worst teams out of the 16...

16 matches isnt favorable, especially tyr says its tiring and time consuming. This league is run as many other leagues and is the best format which is why i follow it. It's the best competitively and its the most adequate.

I'm not saying i wouldnt change anything, if more people want to play every team thats fine with me. The summer league caused problems because you would schedule all the matches, and some teams just dropped out, which wasted alot of work and made us work harder. This format is just easier to work around with.

I don't think its really smart to look at how the summer league was run. There was a huge problem with that, namely that the game exited beta in the middle of it, thereby causing like 60% of the teams to drop out. Thats not really an issue now, and I completely agree with nobo that the scheduling method you are using is unfair. He proposed a solution that would not involve playing 16 games, so I don't see why you would be against using it. If you're going to pick teams of 'equal strength' to play each other, you might as well just drop the charade and have the two best teams play for the championship right now.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM

yea, tec, the summer league was different, but teams didnt drop out due to it leaving the beta stage, but teams just being inactive because competitive was new in altitude then.

First of all, this is not an issue. This is not a solution but a suggestion. Also, i did not say i was against it. I set it up this way because, if you did not read, its the best and easiest format to play with from many perspectives. The whole point of the season, or the 4 weeks and 8 matches, is to weed out the best and worst, and give players a chance to play teams of their calibur if not more. It's not a charade. fLb and ACE won't always be the top 2. The whole point of the equal strength is so teams don't play the worst 8 teams league and so the worst team doesnt play the 8 best teams. That wouldn;t be fun. Also, it's to give teams a chance at the big teams and big teams at each other. This season, is for competition, and eventually form the playoffs. Many leagues are run like this. If you want the round robin, every team players every team, then sure, if everyone wants a league like that. I'm willing to do it but i also know that not everyone has time for this (maybe people do, i'll try it out). But i want to use Tyr as an example yet again. No one wants to play altitude every sunday for the rest of their lives. 16 matches against every team will barely change what 8 matches against equally strengthed opponents will make of. Assuming what tec said, any method you use, you can just set up the 2 best teams and have the championship match. I really don't know what that argument means tec...

yet again, i would like to say that, i'm not favoring anything. Only giving reasons for what and why i did what. We are using a completely different model next league..

Last edited by evilarsenal; 03-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Don't get why exactly you don't want to do this. Every single response to this thread has been in support of my proposal. Let me address your points:

Quote:

^^ not my words...
Ever since the summer league, the gap between the teams in the league has significantly narrows. Sure, you could take a match like ACE vs F.A. and I would easily bet on 1:1000 odds that F.A. would get slaughtered, but take any two middling teams and the outcomes would be extremely hard to predict.

Also, if you're going to assume that certain matches will end up in complete domination, you might as well give the drop the charade like tec said and just give the top team an auto-win. We don't want that though, because the point of competition is to give every team a chance at winning if they try hard enough.

Quote:
This doesn't make sense. A team that doesn't deserve to make playoffs... well, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Why would you want an undeserving team to be playing in the playoffs? Having bad teams in the playoffs dumbs down the competitive aspect.

Quote:
The only point you had there is that "16 matches is tiring" (the other two sentences were just saying "this format is best" without giving justification). If you look at the responses to this thread, you will see that not a single person has objected to the idea of 16 matches. Tyr says it's tiring, but it seems like even his teammate Cloud doesn't mind. You shouldn't cater to the needs of the few. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

If indeed more people speak up that 16 matches is too tiring, do what I mentioned earlier. Give everyone a subset of opponents that is roughly equal in strength. If that's too complicated, split up the 16 matches in two groups of 8 of roughly equal strength (based on prevous tourney performances, or for new teams, average ladder rating. or hell, just ask some respectable members of the community to judge every team's skill level, if that turns out bad, you can change it). Then do full round-robin, top 4 from each group gets out.

Quote:
I'm not saying i wouldnt change anything, if more people want to play every team thats fine with me. The summer league caused problems because you would schedule all the matches, and some teams just dropped out...
Solution is easy, schedule it all at once, and if certain teams drop out, then simply invalidate every match they have ever played. Every future match that someone has scheduled against the now-defunct team is simply not played (it's no big deal if a team has only 1 match on a particular sunday as opposed to 2 matches).

Quote:
...which wasted alot of work and made us work harder. This format is just easier to work around with.
We appreciate the hard work you are putting into this, evil, but we would all like to see the most competitive and the most well run system possible. If implementing a better system makes for too much work for you, I'm sure you can ask around for people to help out; there are a million respectable members of this community that are more than willing to put in some work.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
Don't get why exactly you don't want to do this. Every single response to this thread has been in support of my proposal. Let me address your points:

Ever since the summer league, the gap between the teams in the league has significantly narrows. Sure, you could take a match like ACE vs F.A. and I would easily bet on 1:1000 odds that F.A. would get slaughtered, but take any two middling teams and the outcomes would be extremely hard to predict.

Also, if you're going to assume that certain matches will end up in complete domination, you might as well give the drop the charade like tec said and just give the top team an auto-win. We don't want that though, because the point of competition is to give every team a chance at winning if they try hard enough.

This doesn't make sense. A team that doesn't deserve to make playoffs... well, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Why would you want an undeserving team to be playing in the playoffs? Having bad teams in the playoffs dumbs down the competitive aspect.

The only point you had there is that "16 matches is tiring" (the other two sentences were just saying "this format is best" without giving justification). If you look at the responses to this thread, you will see that not a single person has objected to the idea of 16 matches. Tyr says it's tiring, but it seems like even his teammate Cloud doesn't mind. You shouldn't cater to the needs of the few. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

If indeed more people speak up that 16 matches is too tiring, do what I mentioned earlier. Give everyone a subset of opponents that is roughly equal in strength. If that's too complicated, split up the 16 matches in two groups of 8 of roughly equal strength (based on prevous tourney performances, or for new teams, average ladder rating. or hell, just ask some respectable members of the community to judge every team's skill level, if that turns out bad, you can change it). Then do full round-robin, top 4 from each group gets out.

Solution is easy, schedule it all at once, and if certain teams drop out, then simply invalidate every match they have ever played. Every future match that someone has scheduled against the now-defunct team is simply not played (it's no big deal if a team has only 1 match on a particular sunday as opposed to 2 matches).

We appreciate the hard work you are putting into this, evil, but we would all like to see the most competitive and the most well run system possible. If implementing a better system makes for too much work for you, I'm sure you can ask around for people to help out; there are a million respectable members of this community that are more than willing to put in some work.
Let me address these points
The point of having matches the way they are scheduled now are to avoid complete domination. To have fair and good games. Every team playing 16 matches would offer so many dominations. (IM NOT FAVORING THIS HOLY **** STOP ATTACKING ME I'D DO THIS CALM DOWN)

The 2nd point i think you misread or i miswrote, i was saying that, in the summer league, the way matches were scheduled, a team could luckily get into the playoffs, which i wanted to avoid, sorry for that, i think i mis-wrote or mis-read. But yea, obviously, I want teams to play against their own level as well,

That's true, 16 matches would be awful at all, its just that 16 weeks would be really long, and 8 weeks, well when i brought that to the admins, they all said thats too long don't do it, so i didn't. If everyone else wants to do longer seasons im up for it,but don't jump down my throat for not doing it.

The scheduling all the matches at the same time is kind of stupid. If anything, i'd schedule every match, but keep it to myself and release it at a week at a time, because if a team drops out, people will complain for losing those points and it'd really waste alot of time. I feel like, the better solution would be to give everyone bye's. (WE could do that)

And please, for the 3rd time nh... I am comepletely in for change. Why do i have to keep repeating myself. Nothing is too much work for me. It's altitude which i love. Like, why do i need to repeat myself. I hate that people are at my throat for this and it's only been one day, i just got my computer back an hour ago and im trying to defend myself from what people think is my monarch league and i hate everyone elses thoughts. I'll be willing to work for endless hours, but i don't want my admins wasting their time with their work. It's all for the better.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
The whole point of the season, or the 4 weeks and 8 matches, is to weed out the best and worst, and give players a chance to play teams of their calibur if not more. It's not a charade. fLb and ACE won't always be the top 2. The whole point of the equal strength is so teams don't play the worst 8 teams league and so the worst team doesnt play the 8 best teams. That wouldn;t be fun. Also, it's to give teams a chance at the big teams and big teams at each other. This season, is for competition, and eventually form the playoffs. Many leagues are run like this.
What you are saying would be the outcome of your system is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what the system does.

When I say to make everyone a subset of teams that are "equal strength", I don't mean that ACE has to play only fLb L* FN bong's etc and F.A. only has to play DX J.C. RIP IB. I mean that you'd give ACE an equal number of strong teams as F.A. would have to play and you would also give ACE an equal number of weak teams as F.A. would have to play. So maybe you'd make ACE play Sammich L* IL RIP DX and F.A. would have to play fLb FN KLF IB and ##. So you'd get weak teams having a shot at the strong teams and the big teams have a chance at each other. Everyone is happy.

Your current system makes weak teams play ONLY OTHER WEAK TEAMS and strong teams play ONLY OTHER STRONG TEAMS. Weak teams would never get a chance to play against strong teams like you desired.

Here's an example to illustrate my point. Let's examine the schedule of the last place team from APL2, FFS. Information taken from http://nimblygames.com/wiki/index.ph...Proleague_2009

Their schedule was:
Week 1: A.M., fLb$
Week 2: A.M., HW
Week 3: KLF, bong's
Week 4: DW, IL

Now, as you can see, they never once get to play any of the top five (ACE, fLb, fLbSS, L*, FN) teams. What's even stupider is that they had to play A.M. twice in consecutive weeks.

Now let's look at the schedule of ACE.

Week 1: 2G4U, J.C.
Week 2: fLbSS, fLb
Week 3: FN, fLb$
Week 4: L*

Now how is it fair that ACE has to play, out of 7 teams, five teams that ended up in the playoffs, whereas FFS only had to play two (fLb$ and IL)? Not only that, but you notice that after the first week, not a single lower tier clan got to have a shot at ACE ever again.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM

Sorry if I seem like I'm jumping down your throat, evil, (I just sound like this sometimes when I'm debating). The reason I continued talking was because you didn't seem to be considering our points, but if you were just bringing up the reason why you were doing this in the past, that's fine as long as you consider changing the system if you see that our points have merit.

Anyways, let us know what you decide to do after you are done considering.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
What you are saying would be the outcome of your system is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what the system does.

When I say to make everyone a subset of teams that are "equal strength", I don't mean that ACE has to play only fLb L* FN bong's etc and F.A. only has to play DX J.C. RIP IB. I mean that you'd give ACE an equal number of strong teams as F.A. would have to play and you would also give ACE an equal number of weak teams as F.A. would have to play. So maybe you'd make ACE play Sammich L* IL RIP DX and F.A. would have to play fLb FN KLF IB and ##. So you'd get weak teams having a shot at the strong teams and the big teams have a chance at each other. Everyone is happy.

Your current system makes weak teams play ONLY OTHER WEAK TEAMS and strong teams play ONLY OTHER STRONG TEAMS. Weak teams would never get a chance to play against strong teams like you desired.

Here's an example to illustrate my point. Let's examine the schedule of the last place team from APL2, FFS. Information taken from http://nimblygames.com/wiki/index.ph...Proleague_2009

Their schedule was:
Week 1: A.M., fLb$
Week 2: A.M., HW
Week 3: KLF, bong's
Week 4: DW, IL

Now, as you can see, they never once get to play any of the top five (ACE, fLb, fLbSS, L*, FN) teams. What's even stupider is that they had to play A.M. twice in consecutive weeks.

Now let's look at the schedule of ACE.

Week 1: 2G4U, J.C.
Week 2: fLbSS, fLb
Week 3: FN, fLb$
Week 4: L*

Now how is it fair that ACE has to play, out of 7 teams, five teams that ended up in the playoffs, whereas FFS only had to play two (fLb$ and IL)? Not only that, but you notice that after the first week, not a single lower tier clan got to have a shot at ACE ever again.
They played again because i put 4 teams up against each other for inactivty, and if they didnt show up i'd just knock them out.

But one point is, why would a team deserve to play the top teams if they cant even beat the weaker teams? Why would they deserve a shot?

You said, "So you'd get weak teams having a shot at the strong teams and the big teams have a chance at each other. Everyone is happy."

This would screw up scheduling in 4 weeks, since its only 8 matches, but the top teams would just have more matches, and the lesser teams would have matches that they would want...

The only way it would work is if everyone played each other, so yea...

And, the lower tier teams do have another shot after the first week, because if they went 0-2 or 1-1, if they brought up their record to 4-2, they probably would've scheduled against ACE like i did with lobstars, and also ACE had a bye because there wasnt even anyone close to their record they hadn't played yet

The important thing is, why give teams a shot at big tier teams if they can't beat simple teams? is it a fair chance? is it fair to the top tier teams?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 AM

well as a late suggestion...

why don't we make 3 baskets (as in the soccer tournaments like Champions League,World or Euro Cup), which we then divide into 2 groups.

1st basket with the top teams, 2nd basket with the mid or higher level teams (for all known teams) and the third basket with the new teams (which participate for the first time).

Thus it would look like that
1st basket: ACE, FLB, L*, Sandwitch (2 teams go to 1 group)
2nd basket: FN, IL, BB, DW, KLF, JC (3 teams go to 1 group)
3rd basket: ##, RIP, IB, FA, Ball, DX (3 teams go to 1 group)

after that as said we could manage 2 different groups, with four top teams at the end going to play offs.

e.g.
1) ACE, ||, FN, KLF, |, RIP, Ball, DX
2) FLB, L*, IL, DW, JC, ##, IB, FA

by such schedule we can have all teams play the other teams, but still keep the tournament last relatively short. Although by such a schedule, I'd give 5 first teams a chance to go to the play offs. (4th and 5th teams of different groups would have to face each other in order to get to the quarter-finals).

anyway the League starts in 4 days...I guess it's not enough time left to change anything, unless someone is really interested in working this (i mean any changes proposed) out.

Last edited by Tosconi; 03-04-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They played again because i put 4 teams up against each other for inactivty, and if they didnt show up i'd just knock them out.

But one point is, why would a team deserve to play the top teams if they cant even beat the weaker teams? Why would they deserve a shot?

You said, "So you'd get weak teams having a shot at the strong teams and the big teams have a chance at each other. Everyone is happy."

This would screw up scheduling in 4 weeks, since its only 8 matches, but the top teams would just have more matches, and the lesser teams would have matches that they would want...

The only way it would work is if everyone played each other, so yea...

And, the lower tier teams do have another shot after the first week, because if they went 0-2 or 1-1, if they brought up their record to 4-2, they probably would've scheduled against ACE like i did with lobstars, and also ACE had a bye because there wasnt even anyone close to their record they hadn't played yet

The important thing is, why give teams a shot at big tier teams if they can't beat simple teams? is it a fair chance? is it fair to the top tier teams?
My point is, if you already know who the strong teams are, why bother letting the weak teams play at all in this system? You've already decided, in your mind, who the best teams are and who the worst are. The point of the league and the matches is not to 'generate good games'. That might be a desire for spectators, but its not what the league should be about. The league should be about fair competition designed to figure out which teams are best and which teams are worst (namely the former).

Lets go back and look at a very successful ESPORTS event: TSL2. When the TSL2 reached the group stage, how did they pick those groups? Did they try to pick them so that each person was playing players of their caliber? So that the games would be as even (and as interesting, I guess) as possible? No, they picked them randomly. They did this because they understand the importance of fair competition, and the purpose of a league: to find out who is best, and, generally, reward them. To facilitate this, all groups were picked randomly, and the only thing the administrators did to make it better for spectators was to pick games they thought would be exciting to broadcast. That is the only hand administrators of the Proleague here should have in scheduling as well. Past that, it should be random.

Leagues are not for having interesting, well balanced games. That is a side effect of having a constantly evolving, improving userbase. Leagues are for deciding who is best. If users wanted balanced games, they can go out and pick teams to scrim against themselves.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 AM

If the league change does happen I'll help out, but I don't see that much work except keeping scores and generating the whole playlist at once. And yeah I know most teams can't compare to top tier but I feel they should at least get a shot to try it and see how it is to play with them. Every football (soccer) league is like this. You play every team in the league (actually 2x - home and away but doesn't matter). Every team then gets to see their rank at the end of the league.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM

The simplest way to look at it is strength of schedule. Without an even strength of schedule between teams, there will always be room for debate.

Imagine, the third worst team could make its way to a .500 record by beating the two worst teams, then losing to the fourth and fifth worst teams week after week. Meanwhile, the 3rd best team could conceivably also end up at .500: beating the 4th and 5th ranked teams and losing to the top two teams week after week. Now, imagine the 3rd place team had to forfeit somewhere along the way. All of a sudden, the 13th ranked team gets into the playoffs, while the 3rd ranked team doesn't. I know this is an extreme example that most likely won't happen, but you get the gist of it.

The whole concept that "weaker teams shouldn't have a shot at the top-tier teams" is exactly what the playoffs are for; not the regular season. The regular season should be as unbiased as possible (aka playing roundrobin) to ensure that the end results CLEARLY show the league's pecking order.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM

ok...APL3 will be all vs all
or will be noob way of scheduling?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 AM

tosconi's way is a very well thought out method, we should try and use that to have a short, competitive and balanced league where everyone gets to play all types of teams.