Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default Get rid of leagues, replace with one-day tournaments?

So I think the most recent league has made one thing clear: a lot of guys who play this game aren't great at showing up on a schedule. That said, I think a lot of people still really like the idea of team-based competitive play. Ladder is great, but something more organized is also fun.

So since the league basically kills your Sundays for 2 months straight, I think it'd be cool if we had something that was a little more casual instead: regular single day tournaments that run every sunday. Players can form up teams up to ~30 minutes before the tournament starts, then do a quick run through the brackets. To speed things up, all the games except the finals would probably need to be bo1 with fixed maps, but I think that's okay. That may not perfectly reflect player skill, but I think it's worth the trade-off.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 AM

I agree a lot with what you've said, especially since people who sign up may not show on the day.

But every week is a bit much, that way you get decreased participation on most of them, maybe every two weeks and not all TBD.

Also you would really need to create a stable of admins who could help each other out a lot, one day tourneys can be quite a handful.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Ya i thought about doing 8-16 (more likely 8 first come first serve) team one day tourneys over the summer like once or twice a month. So it's probably going to happen, making it weekly would need more admins, 1,2x a month is doable with a handful of admins

EDIT: Direct response to Dio, doing that many tournaments is kinda hard since you cant regulate the matches by script and you would need admins every day checking stuff out, it's not as simple as it seems
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM

totally support this dio!! make the game so fun getting to play with diff people week in week out!! shame have to be bo1 but it seems most realistic way! ALSO it means more teams as only 5 needed (say 7 max) so more players to go around!

please do this it might just help save some altitude ass for a bit!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to VeRiTaS Send a message via Skype™ to VeRiTaS

I agree with dio ...Just do this one day tourneys during summer like storm said ...but don't stop APL ...Just make it faster in some kind of way...:P
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

i really woudlnt agree with this, i mean, we should have both

getting rid of the league will just be a temporary solution to what everyone think they want, and another day, someone will start up a league and take over... we have a good foundation but i think APL shud still run, and if not league, it shall run 1 day events if anything...
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Good idea.

This league has shown us that we can't have a real league (with everyone facing each other) and we certainly can't count on 16 teams to show up for all matches.

So... yeah. I think this would be better.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

'Alty is as alive as ever for me.'

On a personal note im so pleased with the progress my team has made.

I have a vision for a more workable competitive scene and there are still a lot of people interested despite the few teams that have either been DQ'd or left.

I have been playing on a 2nd account for a month or so now and have been watching the new talent coming through.

New players need an opportunity, and we should be more informative about the working of the scene and encourage them.

Expect to see a new team or 2 emerge soon.

i like the idea of a mixed modes tournament, as Kuja said some time ago 'There are only good players and bad players' although Kuja's deliverance can come across a bit cold he/she had a point.

Lets strive to be the best at Altitude not just TBD or Ball e.t.c.

There are so many good killers and strategists playing in Skyleague and i believe that by holding a mixed modes tournament we would see more participation especially by those including myself who choose to play for 1 team and 1 team only. [after much deliberation i have seen the light]

Ok i plan to revive the 1v1 tournaments but in a different way, wait and see.

Also for ****s and giggles and a whole lotta lols the much anticipated full and custom random 1 day tournaments will be drawn up shortly.

watch this space, Alty is as alive as ever for me.

Much love see you in game

class =]

Last edited by classicallad; 05-03-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Imo keep a league, however, if you make a clan all players must be committed no half hearted stuff! they have to say they can make most weekends!

somin like that
Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 PM

after apl s3, i'll be hosting differnet mode tournaments which will award ranking points in my table so different modes, and new teams can show up
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Evil, with respect i personally have lost confidence in you after APL3, it was badly run sorry.

Having said that i could use some help with pending tournaments but are you the right person to offer that help idk.

again with respect but idk.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM

As I already said I agree with this idea but we must keep APL ! if we do cancel it after some time many ppl will soon start missing it so...
Better just leave APL BUT try to get more active admins...Storm has saved APL3 but I didn't see any other admin to help him!
So get more responsible and active admins and continue with APL ...But still make the one day tourneys ! .

Last edited by nesnl; 05-03-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM

The problem with APL is the fact thats its way to long. Not only does it run for a lot of weeks, but it also consumes a lot of time each sunday. If APL ran for 2 months, but you only played an hour each sunday, people would enjoy it more and show up more.

This is the way I have always pictured it:

Each team plays each other once.
You play one BO3 or BO5. (bo3 would make more sense)
You only play one match a week.
You play each map of the bo3. (if your winning 2-0 you still finish)

This results in a longer season but not as much time put into it. Also, depending on how many teams sign up, it may not be that much longer.

With 10 teams, thats a 2 month season. Thats just as long as it is now but you only spend 1 - 1.5 hours a day. That's not half bad.

Then you do a 6 team playoff double elimination and you bang those games out in 2 maybe 3 weeks.

^^^That seems so much more reasonable.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:59 PM

O YEA. And you know what would make a lot more teams appear, if hte 12 man roster rule was enforced.

I can think of 3 teams of the top of my head with more than 12 players.

(||) just got Storm. "but wuwu wont be playing in APL"

So, guys like wuwu need to find their own team. A team should not be allowed to have reserves. Then the best 20 guys can make a team and just rotate in and out.

The 12 people you register with are the 12 that must play. You can make additions but only if you REMOVE a player from your team. This is the only way APL will be more succseful
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM

First of all Wu hasn't logged into altitude for a long time so he's not someone who would play for another team. As for subs in general I plan on adding a max sub number during next season, 3 or less possibly. There are several teams with 20 or so members ,an occurence which prevents the creation of other potential teams.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
O YEA. And you know what would make a lot more teams appear, if hte 12 man roster rule was enforced.

I can think of 3 teams of the top of my head with more than 12 players.

(||) just got Storm. "but wuwu wont be playing in APL"

So, guys like wuwu need to find their own team. A team should not be allowed to have reserves. Then the best 20 guys can make a team and just rotate in and out.

The 12 people you register with are the 12 that must play. You can make additions but only if you REMOVE a player from your team. This is the only way APL will be more succseful
As storm said, a few of sammich's players do not log on anymore and some spring cleaning is in order. We have strictly stuck to the 12 man roster and will continue sticking to that. Storm has effectively replaced wuwu on our team.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeRiTaS View Post
As I already said I agree with this idea but we must keep APL ! if we do cancel it after some time many ppl will soon start missing it so...
Better just leave APL BUT try to get more active admins...Storm has saved APL3 but I didn't see any other admin to help him!
So get more responsible and active admins and continue with APL ...But still make the one day tourneys ! ...

I could be an admin if needed I am really active and etc...But from the beggining of July before that I am a bit busy
Storm saved APL3? So what about the other admins. Simply because i told storm to do the things for me? If no one would ahve done it i still would have been there and still did everything. I still watched most matches and was there for every weekend.

Not to decredit storm, but he did help a lot, but its not fair to say he saved APL, when i was just disconnected from the game. I am clanless, and i only play competitively, so i never play. I logon to watch matches, and thats it. I was just less active, but i assure you whatever way the community turns, I and the apl will be there to support it.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM

i liked the TDM tourney

it wasn't that long which was pretty nice...like 2 hours for the whole thing
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM

tourneys sound like a great idea to me. maybe not every week, but i think it would be much easier to commit to for people. My clan has problems with attendance, and i know if i could just say, commit to blah blah date, it would be much easier to get people to agree to it ahead of time.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post
Storm saved APL3? So what about the other admins. Simply because i told storm to do the things for me? If no one would ahve done it i still would have been there and still did everything. I still watched most matches and was there for every weekend.

Not to decredit storm, but he did help a lot, but its not fair to say he saved APL, when i was just disconnected from the game. I am clanless, and i only play competitively, so i never play. I logon to watch matches, and thats it. I was just less active, but i assure you whatever way the community turns, I and the apl will be there to support it.
Evil I don't want to offend you or anything I just stated my oppinion and I didn't see much of the other admins either... Nvm the point is that APL needs more active admins ... Tyr was an admin he ain't that active anymore so should find a replacement ....Not to take out his adminship just give some more to ppl you can trust and you know that they are active and etc etc...
As I said if you need any help I can from middle of June...always wanted to help out in any kind of way.