Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 PM

A lot of the maps are soloable without EMP. Blaze would be if it weren't for the last turret over the base. D: Unless I'm doin it wrong....
Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM

The repair drones should not be removed. Even though they mean in most cases endless HP pool, the timer makes sure that you still have to progress rapidly if you want to make it on time (if this is not the case, the timer should be decreased).

Removing EMP is really the best solution imho. Those who want to play loopy can always use acid. If it works on turrets the same way it works on planes it could actually be a very exciting add to a set-up.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Just made a new map. It's called Boromir.

Yeah. That's right.

I'll host the server tonight, but I expect we'll need many, many people.
Of course, at some point someone will be able to solo it
Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 PM

While this mode is a little underground wouldn't be a good idea to keep a thread with a list of CO-OP servers?

The only server I know of, that hosts this maps is [TEST] and most of the time it seems to be offline
Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 PM

It's up all day now . So you can start joining / playing the maps .

Also, maybe eggplant can have someone host the server for us 24/7, I'll ask him when I see him.

Last edited by devedse; 05-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devedse View Post
It's up all day now . So you can start joining / playing the maps .
Ok, found it and added it to my favorites
Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Boromir is now added to Devedse's server. There's still some things I have to change/fix, but so far it seems like a worthy addition. It's also the first map in which whales are somewhat useful

p.s. low > high
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm trying to find a way to make it so that the red team actually does something. I'm on the verge of something, but it may need testing.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Hey Boko can you disable the part of your program that forces people to the blue team? I was having fun reversing out of red's jailbox, sniping blue, and having blue rage at me. Pretty lulzy.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friblurks View Post
Boromir is now added to Devedse's server. There's still some things I have to change/fix, but so far it seems like a worthy addition. It's also the first map in which whales are somewhat useful

p.s. low > high
or so you thought
Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
or so you thought
proper low rush > high when it comes down to time. Mark my words
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Just made a new map. It's called Boromir.

Yeah. That's right.

I'll host the server tonight, but I expect we'll need many, many people.
Of course, at some point someone will be able to solo it
OMG OMG OMG.

Cannot WAIT.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 PM

We set a new record on Test - 16 seconds!

Boromir (v1): It's a neat map, but we seem to die every time after the whales open a hole. The top turrets keep pwning us. TBH I'm not convinced that we wouldn't be better off with all EMP Loopies.

Elephant: an interesting implementation of the "split up the teams" concept, look forward to playing it.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 PM

COOP_Under is a very creative map. It's got collidable elements that are invisble, and noncollidables that hide hidden turrets. Unfortunately the map itself is broken because it doesn't force you to encounter any of these neat elements. The easiest path is down, then up through the turret ladder, where you can EMP each turret.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 PM

New record on blaze today with magnificent play of cloud, 80 seconds.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 PM

First, there came the repair drone. I was beaten.

Then, there came the randa. I was beaten.

Finally, there came the emp loopy. I was beaten. Badly.

But now, I present to you...

Elephant!

This monstrosity of a map has a time limit of 8 (yes, 8!) minutes. It will blow your loopies out of the sky. It will tear your randas a new one when you flip. It will break your repair drone. It will crush you. It will murder you. It will rape your corpse while he's murdering you. Yes, you read that right.

Ladies and gentlemen, bring your bombers! Bring your whales! Bring your sniplanes! For you will need them. Badly.

Enjoy

Last edited by Friblurks; 05-28-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 AM

New functions of the [test] crew server modifieing / retard-iteration program will be coming soon:

Record times in milliseconds.
A website where you can view the records for each map.
A fix for the program to crash when the log file clears itself.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:51 AM

the elephant map looks nice, i think it will still fit for the emp/randa setup though ^_^
Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 AM

As long as HC is used, trickster will always be viable.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:19 AM

Dunno how you were doing Boromir, but when I was playing with mled we pretty much led a fleet of loopies and worked our way up the wall, to the left, across the ceiling and down towards the base, while the other half of the team bombed and whaled the bottom and far turrets. Worked well, but took time.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfourke View Post
Dunno how you were doing Boromir, but when I was playing with mled we pretty much led a fleet of loopies and worked our way up the wall, to the left, across the ceiling and down towards the base, while the other half of the team bombed and whaled the bottom and far turrets. Worked well, but took time.
That's what I figured the winning strat would be. Running or passing is just too risky.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Elephant!

Enjoy
This map is awesome. it's the hardest and most fun coop map so far.

We beat it just once, with a round time of 406, which I believe is the record.

Plane mix is crucial and teamwork/coordination is necessary.

You need HUGE NUMBERS of dumb bomb bombers to take care of the elephant's back. They can also clear some of the turrets on the inside by dropping bombs on the elephant's skin.

You need some reverse-thruster, rubber hull EMP loopies to clear the tunnel, working together with some trickster-shot mirandas to take care of the stomach turrets.

This is the first map where plane mix can be the key to victory, and where loopies and randas are actually needed in SMALL quantities as opposed to being the majority of the team.

Everyone needs to split up and coordinate well, which makes this a really fun map when everyone is working together.

The joy of victory was, well, awesome

This map has some serious flaws however:

The health pack is in a HORRIBLE location and there needs to be more than one. It needs to be in an out-of-the-way location where unwounded planes won't be going.

The map could also do with 2-3 of the shield powerup.

There is also one minor flaw, I don't think whales and biplanes are very useful. Whales can clear the turrets fast but can't navigate the interior. Biplanes can snipe turrets but again, EMP is more useful in situations where you have a line of sight to the turret, and bounce shot is more useful when you don't.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:18 AM

Health pack needs to move, yes. I won't add more shields, because there's one at the base that recharges in a second. If a shield would be put at more crucial locations, you could just camp the shield and win. Right now, you need to get the shield, attack, retreat, get shield, etc. which works better imo. It keeps you busy and it makes you save your shield for when you really need it.

Whales can be quite useful, though. Their remote mine can hit further than bombs (for example the green one above the spawns can't be killed by bomber spam, but can be killed by remote spam). And their missile has quite a long range, useful for clearing the head turrets from a distance, and the turrets at the feet near the tail. But yeah, inside the stomach, they're lacking.

Biplanes are best at what they've always been: being average for every role. I'm unsure if there's any situation in which biplanes can shine, because right now they're outperformed by everything for specific jobs.

Anyway, I believe we all should also be starting to discuss server etiquette. I believe there's too much voting going on. While I could disable voting, then it would suck when it's really needed. But we don't need to vote a restart after 2 minutes because some of your friends died. Let the survivors play on until they die. Let them have their fun. It's a 24 slot server because everyone is welcome (in general). Same goes for votekicking "because they are useless". If you votekick because of that, then it probably means you're dead. And if you're dead, well, you get the idea I hope.

Clan stuff is coming soon, so in the mean time, don't bother too much about getting perfect runs. All data so far will be wiped anyway, and maps are still prone to changes (under has become harder, for instance). So in the mean time, join a [test] test server, sit back and relax while getting to know the buggy alpha maps, and the people you're playing with. This is coop. Coop isn't serious business. It's serious fun.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Alright, sorry it took so long to do this, but this SHOULD fix Spider. Spiderbite is now open for business.

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...736e04b1d89409

Please tell me it works now.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM

There was some talk on the last page about EMP and disabling it. I think what would work better would be to have certain types of turret that are EMP immune. Definitely should be added to the list of changes we'd like to see for turrets to better facilitate coop mode.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

This game mode is great, man Vs machine
Old 05-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Alright guys, I'll likely be unable to work on spiderbite any more until tonight, so just pile up the compliments/complaints and I'll make a list of what I have to do to it.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 PM

First of all, I agree with voting for restarts all the time, it's stupid people can't just wait 1 minute till they can respawn.

Also boromir is a map where all planes are really needed.
Whales need to shoot holes in the right wall.
Bombers need to kill turrets.
Loopy's need to emp turrets.
Randa's also need to kill turrets with laser.

I really like it because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General View Post
There was some talk on the last page about EMP and disabling it. I think what would work better would be to have certain types of turret that are EMP immune. Definitely should be added to the list of changes we'd like to see for turrets to better facilitate coop mode.
I agree with this. I really hope we can get the programmer's of altitude to make them do things like this .

Edit:
Btw evan, can you swap the 2 spawn points of the teams around so I can host the map on the [test] coop server. Currently it forces everyone in the left team, but the left team is in the bot hole in your map.

Last edited by devedse; 05-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

There is another winning strategy for boromir, you guys just don't know it yet ;D
Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 PM

You liez =<
Old 05-29-2010, 06:27 PM

See, I had to go and be an idiot and upload the broken spiderbite twice. Here is the fixed one. I just tested it on my server and Blue Team is left team.

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...acab05d017ccc3 EDIT: Fixed a broken turret. Let me know if anything else isn't working.

Last edited by Evan20000; 05-29-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

This topic is so hot, you can roast a sausage on it.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 PM

I know right.

If Spider works out, then I'll get started on another one.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM

Alright, updated the first post. Also changed some of the tips because we learned some new things. Right now it's pretty much mandatory to make the attackers blue due to more server program stuffs. And put the red spawns somewhere on the right to prevent the infamous 24-players-in-a-cube glitch. Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 AM

Does it matter if all of them are to the right, or should I move the spawns on Spider?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 AM

I'm not sure how it works. If you make sure that the leftmost spawn is blue and the rightmost spawn is red, then I think (hope) it'll be fine.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmzwimmzzjy

here u go fribs

maybe not the best map but super fun
Old 05-30-2010, 03:31 AM

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...b68b61b0bd84da

hey frib, try this 1
Old 05-30-2010, 04:43 AM

Time for me to explain some of our plans.

Me, Boko and Deve have been working on this since, well, past tuesday? First it was just maps, then came a server program for records. This program has been expanded, and will continue to expand.

Some of the features we already have working is persistent cross-server storage of successful destructions per round. Right now, it stores the map, total players participating, survivors, the time it took (up to 3 behind the dot), and who participated in what plane with which perks. And some other things.

This program works, under certain circumstances. Every map has to be played on the BLUE side. No exceptions. This is because we cannot differentiate between sides, only between colors. At first this wasn't an issue for just switching, but for keeping records, we don't want interference from the bot and other things.

In any case, one major thing that still has to be done is a website for easy display of stats. Once that's up, we'll go live with the stats. We still have to expand our server program so we'll work on that too, as it's kinda prone to crashing and causing bugs to run rampant over your stats.

Just to make things clear, we won't be blocking perks globally. We can, however, look into blocking perks on a per-map basis. Which also means the possibility to force a specific plane on a map. However, we won't do this globally, unless it becomes some sort of theme server (24 carat blazing whale, for instance. Oh god I so want this!) but that's up to you.

Since our server program is being expanded a lot, it's very likely some things don't work as planned. Please report this, we can't monitor our makeshift servers 24/7.

Also, more maps soon. Maps meant for smaller player counts, because you guys still have your hands full with elephant

oh, and any help with the website is appreciated. We're mainly application programmers, not website builders.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 AM

Awesome! :applause

Maps for fewer players would be very nice. There are a few "We have a full server, now we can finally play ____!" maps like Pacific, Blaze and Elephant. There are fewer maps for 5-10 players, only Test really.