Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM

We beat Elephant again tonight. It was extra hard because the server is now capped at only 15 players.

It's definitely the most popular and fun map because of its nonlinearity, the variety of planes, and the coordination and teamwork needed.

Maps where you have to learn how to beat the game, as you try and fail a dozen times but get further each time - these are great fun.

(but seriously move that healthpack D: )
Old 05-30-2010, 05:24 PM

Hey without zana and me you wouldn't have gotten it!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM

I always thought pacific was meant for 4-5 people. D:
Old 05-30-2010, 08:28 PM

I've seen pacific solo'd many many times. Probably my least favourite map.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Pacific is hands down the easiest imo.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 PM

Test is easier

But yeah, pacific is too easy. I still forgot to re-add some things after the switch from tbd to 1de.

Anyway, I need help from everyone who plays. Tell me parts of maps you love, and parts of maps (or whole maps) you hate. Also post any other ideas you have for 'challenge rooms'.

So far I've created a bunch of maps with a large variety, but most of those are (I mean were. Damn you, blaze soloers ) meant for larger player counts. Since I'm working on some smaller maps, I want to know your favorite parts so I can create some fun 5-player maps. I'm already halfway done with one but I plan to make a lot more, so getting a general direction to work towards will help a lot.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Someone please make a map called labyrinth with dangerou rooms like palin posted.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
Someone please make a map called labyrinth with dangerou rooms like palin posted.
problem with a labyrinth is that once you know the best path, it's too easy. I mean, look at under

Although now with the bomb instead of charge it's somewhat more difficult, most of the time it's always the same route. Balancing it to make all paths viable is way too hard to do.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM

Lol yeah, you could try to make diff routes. Ones longer but less turrets other smaller but more turrets. Other long less turrets but no powerups etc. Etc.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
That was the first idea I had, making a map about a dungeon crawl. In each room you would fight orcs, or disarm traps, or find the treasure (powerups needed for the next room), etc.

The big boss at the end would be a dragon or ogre armed with a ton of turrets.

I'm busy on the Star Wars themed map right now but if anyone wants to take that idea & run with it, go ahead.

Quote:
Balancing it to make all paths viable is way too hard to do.
Even if it were possible it wouldn't be worth it. It's easier for everyone to go through one route than everyone going their own way, so a consensus route would emerge. Meanwhile all the content you put in the alternative routes would be ignored. That's exactly the problem with Under.

To make multiple paths you have to make it so the team is FORCED to go down both paths simultaneously. Which Elephant does pretty brilliantly.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM

Yeah i completely agree about having 2 teams both taking a path is pretty hard to organize which elephant is great for. And yeah sarah a map like that would be awesome but i am the problem here because i can't make maps at all. I tried it but it was catastroffic. It made me having to redownload alty. Lol.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM

My favorite has to be elephant. I'd really like to see another map with a 7+ min clock. Maybe giraffe?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 AM

After learning from the general failure that spiderbite was, I'm making a new map with a 10 minute clock. It should be up for beta testing this afternoon.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 AM

aw, I like spiderbite. It's another map where you have to do multiple things at the same time. The collision was a bit dodgy, though, but that could've been me.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM

The turrets in spider (Along with the one in Blaze) have only a few pixels you can hit. D: You gotta aim well. Loops can do it easily though.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:07 AM

I present IDE_Void.

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...b322f4af7aada2

This map is very teamwork oriented, and will require no less then 3 sacrifices (Along with the entire Low Team) to finish. Inspired by Elephant, but without the boring turret killing on the top. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...50318ace02aabe

Update. I had bombs to avoid tedious turret killing, but apparently it was possible to use them to hit the base skipping 9/10ths of the map. Reuploaded now.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Fixed a few misc bugs and balanced the routes out a bit more.

If you guys like this map, speak up; if enough people give it good reviews, I may replace the ugleh graphics.
http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...662c9e9d8277f3
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 PM

New record on 20-man Boromir, 102.835. And yay, I placed the charge.

/Brag.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM

Good job. Boromir is hard to speedrun because everyone has to do their job before dying.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 AM

Sinstar's new map Void has a very neat implementation of the "Canyon of Doom" concept. The A team has to retrieve the bomb, then pass it across a giant turret-filled hall to the B team, which has been clearing the way to the base. Awesome!

Sinstar though, I wish you'd use polygons. 1, they load faster, 2, they're easier to see where collisions happen than the art from labyrinth, 3, you can do plenty of neat things with them:

Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 AM

I'll likely start working on official art soon for it. I want to see if there's anything else I need to fix before I do so, though.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 AM

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...e1c3f3042a1082
Alright, here is the second to last version of Void. I tried to color it and failed hard, so I just left it as is. Boko, I think I'll have to take you up on your offer.

Anyway, I made "going back" all but impossible and at the same time made Rubber Hull viable. Both paths are tougher because of this, but considering how fast Blaze went from "Impossible" to "Hard" to "Easy" in most players' eyes, I think this is acceptable. Unless of course it turns out to be truely impossible without Miranda, which is not the idea. Boko, you can start recoloring, if any changed will be made they will be small unless some large exploit is found.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 AM

Sins, wanna work on a map with me?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 AM

Introducing: Introductions!

err, I mean

Introducing: Campaigns!

That's right. Campaigns. You thought single maps were hard, try these!

The concept of campaigns is simple. A campaign consists of a series of maps. A campaign has a separate leaderboard. Each map in a campaign can be played independently, but you will only show up on the campaign leaderboard if you've completed all campaign maps. Your time will be the fastest time for every individual campaign map. So yes, you can grind on individual maps. But you have to be the best in all campaign maps in order to be #1.

While campaign support isn't completely done yet, it is ready for use behind the scenes. So feel free to work on campaigns! Just don't expect campaign high scores yet because it'll be tricky to create efficiently. Also, like the other maps, only 'finished' maps should be made official, so test them before they're ready. This should also give me more than enough time to finish support for campaigns

Why make a campaign? Well, there's a few reasons. The first is an example. Sarah Palin's Death Star map. It's huge. But the first half is kinda boring, while the second half is relentless. Split it up into two maps; one race/puzzle map, and another hell map. Or do whatever. The point is, you are adding checkpoints, essentially. Past this point everyone will respawn again, but then simulated with a map change.
Another reason is the hard turret limit. 63 turrets per map might not be enough for some maps. If it's short 10 turrets or so then that's not the end of the world, but if your are missing 30+ turrets, then it will thin them out way too much.
Finally, theme campaigns. This should speak for itself, I think. This reason can also be combined with the first two reasons, since 1 map for a whole theme might not be enough.

I'll be making a theme campaign as well. Not sure what yet, but we'll see.

The only limitation is that one map cannot be part of more than one campaign. Not that it should matter, but I'm just mentioning. Also, for names, I recommend 1de_coop_tagx_name. tag is an up to 3 character long tag for your campaign, with x being the number of the map. so for example 1de_coop_pwn4_awesome is the 4th map in the pwn campaign. Or something.

Comments, suggestions, you know the drill
Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friblurks View Post
Introducing: Introductions!

err, I mean

Introducing: Campaigns!

That's right. Campaigns. You thought single maps were hard, try these!

The concept of campaigns is simple. A campaign consists of a series of maps. A campaign has a separate leaderboard. Each map in a campaign can be played independently, but you will only show up on the campaign leaderboard if you've completed all campaign maps. Your time will be the fastest time for every individual campaign map. So yes, you can grind on individual maps. But you have to be the best in all campaign maps in order to be #1.

While campaign support isn't completely done yet, it is ready for use behind the scenes. So feel free to work on campaigns! Just don't expect campaign high scores yet because it'll be tricky to create efficiently. Also, like the other maps, only 'finished' maps should be made official, so test them before they're ready. This should also give me more than enough time to finish support for campaigns

Why make a campaign? Well, there's a few reasons. The first is an example. Sarah Palin's Death Star map. It's huge. But the first half is kinda boring, while the second half is relentless. Split it up into two maps; one race/puzzle map, and another hell map. Or do whatever. The point is, you are adding checkpoints, essentially. Past this point everyone will respawn again, but then simulated with a map change.
Another reason is the hard turret limit. 63 turrets per map might not be enough for some maps. If it's short 10 turrets or so then that's not the end of the world, but if your are missing 30+ turrets, then it will thin them out way too much.
Finally, theme campaigns. This should speak for itself, I think. This reason can also be combined with the first two reasons, since 1 map for a whole theme might not be enough.

I'll be making a theme campaign as well. Not sure what yet, but we'll see.

The only limitation is that one map cannot be part of more than one campaign. Not that it should matter, but I'm just mentioning. Also, for names, I recommend 1de_coop_tagx_name. tag is an up to 3 character long tag for your campaign, with x being the number of the map. so for example 1de_coop_pwn4_awesome is the 4th map in the pwn campaign. Or something.

Comments, suggestions, you know the drill

OMG YES.

Checkpoints mean less straggly teams, everyone gets to play each chapter, games take shorter time, I can put more turrets and challenges, maps take less time to load...

this is a genius idea

YES PLZ.

Last edited by Sarah Palin; 06-03-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friblurks View Post
introducing: Introductions!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu-
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friblurks View Post
Long post cut as to not stretch the page.
*Begins furiously working in the editor*

Boko, you can begin recoloring of Void.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Can I ask that you unhost Deathstar?

I'm going to remake it into a series of campaign maps. Right now all it's doing is clogging the server as it causes MASSIVE download times whenever the server changes to that map randomly.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Whatever you did to the new Elephant makes it invisible on /para false.

I appreciate the new graphics but some people like to play with the simplest graphics possible

Also PLEASE unhost Deathstar for now, every time someone votes it I cross my fingers that it doesn't win and we crash the server
Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM

It'll be moved off of the map rotation on the next reboot. Also, York's campaign maps will be added, as will the first campaign map of mine.

I'm making LoTR D:

The first map is purely a race map. There's only two turret spots, although one is heavily stacked. Players will have to grab the ring (bomb) from Bilbo's home, avoid fireworks, carry it all the way through the old forest while avoiding the horsemen, cross a river, then finally go through Bree and rest at the inn. Lots of narrow corridors in this map. Flex wing loopy/randa will probably dominate, and rubber hull is viable too.

Most LoTR maps will have 1 bomb per map, from start to finish. If you lose it, you lose the round, essentially. It should be quite challenging later on, because it slows you down (being a heavy burden and all that). The exceptions will be Helm's Deep - Isengard and Minas Tirith - Black Gate, because there isn't a ring in those parts.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Sounds interesting, can't wait.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm also making a campaign, but I expect this to take a little while. :x I dunno how York got his done so fast, but I won't rush mine to keep up. :P
Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
I'm also making a campaign, but I expect this to take a little while. :x I dunno how York got his done so fast, but I won't rush mine to keep up. :P
The second I read the post I started. I already had this idea in my head before so it wasn't hard to put it to action.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM

Same, but Teamwork based maps take forever to make. You have to test them over and over again to make sure they aren't broken.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 PM

and no matter how hard you try, there's always a way to break it

Anyway, I made toilet official. Dunno if that works instantly, or after a reboot, but I think it's instantly. I added another health kit, tweaked some times, and added a little resting spot. Time limit is set to 2:30.

Also, guys, pacific isn't that bad. I made it a bit harder
Only 1 time so far, so it should be easy to get a new record. Gogogo!

Finally, I added the second map of lotr, but it'll be up when the server gets rebooted. This one starts in Bree, passes the Weathertop, and ends in Rivendell. No cheap fancy graphics yet, but this map does have some action at the top (compared to the rather empty race map Shire. Yes, it's supposed to be empty )
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 PM

There will always be a way to break them, but I've done my best to make breaking this new map inefficient for your time.

Do you guys want me to post the campaign maps as I complete them, or as a complete set?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 PM

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT.

I just ass raped man!

First, we beat toilet. I can't take much credit there but I got use far.

Then, we smashed the pacific record!

It was so friggen close.

I had the charge and I just rushed in. I was about to die while planting but DMCM saved my ass!

WE ARE COOP STARS!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
There will always be a way to break them, but I've done my best to make breaking this new map inefficient for your time.

Do you guys want me to post the campaign maps as I complete them, or as a complete set?
I think there's more of a storytelling aspect when we get a chapter at a time.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:03 AM

They're not being made in the storyline order. Some of them require custom blocks, which I'm saving for later.

For example, I have the third part of this campaign complete, and am going to begin working on the first part.