Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Default Change ladder to white list instead of black list

Make it so only those who can play the game can join. Ladder is supposed to be competitive, which it is not when you have mor****s join.

Is it possible to code? Or a way that if those not on whitelist join they are insta kicked or games don't count.

After the **** that happened today which I think Deni,Pie, Nipple can attribute to
I would definitely trade less games for games that didn't get ruined by fagtards.

For example my first suggestion would be to make all competent APL clans whitelisted. New players would be championed by an existing whitelist member, and if the championed player is a tard/can't learn/can't listen/ played reverse rubber loopy 100% of the time the champion and the championed both get penalties (a suspension and a ban respectively).

Maybe need a few more neutral mods - or just appointed members (e.g. Nip) to oversee this branch of the process (acceptance of championed after x period)

Last edited by CCN; 06-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

So I haven't played a 5v5 game since 8 games ago. That is all. Bans are definitely needed, if people have some evidence of who left.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
So I haven't played a 5v5 game since 8 games ago. That is all. Bans are definitely needed, if people have some evidence of who left.
Or the ban system needs to be upgraded I have tonnes of screenshots but uploading every one for every leaver is fkin long process.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/erzuia.jpg
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 PM

By competant clans, you mean...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM

I suggest a password change for the ladder servers, and the admins pick who can be trusted with the new password.

Right now, most ladder games turn out 4v4 or even 3v3.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Yes.

The only con I can think of is the frequency of ladder games. It'll be much harder to start if only a certain number of people are allowed to play. Then again, that depends on the "requirements" to get on the whitelist.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
Yes.

The only con I can think of is the frequency of ladder games. It'll be much harder to start if only a certain number of people are allowed to play. Then again, that depends on the "requirements" to get on the whitelist.
We got like 6 straight games going earlier today. However, not a single one of them was 5v5 within two minutes of the start.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

This is a terrible idea. It's already hard enough to get a ladder game, this will only make it harder. And the heck, we already have a password, it's not like completely random people can just join.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM

The password is available on the forums its not exactly hard for any random to get. That said I fear this idea may cut down the frequency of ladder games.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM

We could have stricter bans in place, that's all that comes to mind. A lot of people come to ladder just cause they can and then goof around, IMO people playing demo loopies or stuff like that deserve to be banned the same as leavers (bad experiences)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
The password is available on the forums its not exactly hard for any random to get. That said I fear this idea may cut down the frequency of ladder games.
But the randoms who do manage to find it go and tell their friends, who tell their friends, and so on.

I like the frequent ladder games but I also hate having to taskmaster my team so we have a decent shot at winning.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM

So.........why didn't anyone vote to stop tourny?

Seems like a simple solution.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post

yes but when you start a game and then within 3 mins someone leaves for the whole game you're kinda fked. i say we get more admins which are frequently active in ladder. e.g. FU, clapon, Step (elixir if he doesn't already have admin rights)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

imo the simplest solution, which was something I wanted from the beginning, was an automatic penalty for those who leave games. So for instance, if a person left a game and never returned this could be determined via the logs. Then this person could receive an automatic 2 day ban or something like that. Then if the person continues to do that the system could automatically permanently ban them.

I think that there were some issues with the way logs dealt with various types of leaves though so we never implemented it. However, I think that since there are stable servers now (courtesy of phong) then I don't think it should be a problem to put a system like this in place.

Let's all bug nobo until he does it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM

thats interesting, and a good idea, i think boko could program that if nobo doesn't have time. should ask him!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
yes but when you start a game and then within 3 mins someone leaves for the whole game you're kinda fked.
Right but still, you vote stoptourney, you go back to lobby and 2 minutes later you're playing another game.

As for people who leave, just put them on the community's informal blacklist and every time they try to play again they will get kicked. Much more efficient and flexible than a "bot" blacklist.

This allows the community to set standards for all kinds of unacceptable sh*tty behavior, like leaving, spamming, having crazy pingspikes, being in FU, etc.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

IMO: everytime someone in a team leaves DURING the match; save that information somewhere for an admin to be reviewed, or give them an appropriate ban for like a day?

That way you can filter the little *******s out in about an hour.

A whitelist could also be created by using a voting system on the ladder website? This is even better IMHO. (IMOIMOIMOIMHO)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:

We tried three times, the vote failed each time.

In the end the other team just put all five of their players back in and ended it. A quick solution, but not very fun or fair for my ladder rank.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the situation:

1. Game starts 5v5
2. Player from other team leaves immediately
3. Our team plays 4v4 and gets a bomb hit
4. Another player leaves quite soon after
5. A /vote stop is called, but failed because some members of the team think we already got one bomb hit fair and square. Some spectators voted no as well.
6. Grudgingly, we play 3v3 even though we have 5 players. Another /vote stop is called, and fails. We score another bomb hit.
7. After a third vote fails, the third member of the other team quits. Presumably out of rage.
8. Many people just want the game to finish, votes aren't being passed, so we play 3v2 for the last hit(s) to end the game. 2v2 games are bad.

I agree with Maimer that the best solution is to put in place a system that automatically hands out bans. Until that happens though, adding a few more active Admins might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by Pieface; 06-09-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM

with the new update, it says why someone left the game (e.g. ping kick, connx lost). it is now easy to know who is leaving a game on purpose. imo just f5 when that happens and we'll ban like crazy. the admins keep track of who has been banned, so if you have multiple offenses you will be punished more severely (or forever). as long as people do something instead of just complain that should keep the leavers out.

more admins isnt a bad idea either.

Last edited by drunkguava; 06-09-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 AM

the peopel leaving game thins is so gay!!! like today its happened in basically every match I played which is like 10!

It is very gay when your high on ladder and you get reallly bad noobs to the extent they just cant fly! is there anyway there can be a quick registration page for ladder and u get your own personal password that is registered to your vapour ID! just some other way! i see ccn suggested me as a mod, i dont really expect that to happen but I promise if it did i would not abuse powers =] plus so far all mods are usa i think so theres about 12 of the day some European mods would be nice!

the automatic ban thing is hard tho as if your on autojoin an auto ban is hardly fair! I think if someone left with no explanation and doesnt return after 5 minutes a 1 day ban should take effect maybe less!

i'd like to put myself forward for admin powers if thats possible!

p.s. I am now aware its not the people who dont sit who get the ban as much as that is really gay but the person who leaves!

nip =]
Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 AM

I wouldnt mind adminning either if you need it.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 AM

Likewise. I'm active, but don't have a ton of admining experience.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

I'm relatively sure if the the autoban was implemented it wouldn't take effect unless someone didn't return for the whole game.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
I wouldnt mind adminning either if you need it.
Ditto. Seems like every other ladder game today had at least one leaver >.>
Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 AM

EU admin here. (if you want)
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

Don't ask me for admin, I kick way too fast
Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 AM

Give Ingbo Admin
He was on for like 14 hours yersterday.

I also volunteer as admin (along with everyone) to stop this crap from happening.

We do lack a few admins for the gutter times (i.e. non primetime US)
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 AM

I agree. After the monkeyhouse that was tonight's "games", I think we need more admins or some other course of action.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Now that the logs keep track of the reason why someone left, would it be possible to implement a conditional version of something like what maimer is talking about? So you still have auto-bans for intentional leaving, but maybe have a higher threshold for disconnects where you have to do it 2-3 times over a certain period before the ban kicks in (similar to the infraction system on this forum, actually).

I dunno, just seems like you'll never be able to get 100% admin coverage, and a semi-forgiving automatic system has all the benefits (instant action taken!) without the scary downside that it might start banning people who really didn't mean to leave.

also: if something like this were implemented, is there a way to make it so that it can "forgive" players come back to the game after leaving? obviously then the bans wouldn't kick in until after the game went to completion or stop tourney was called.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 AM

I just fear that any kind of auto ban system would lead to an exorbitant amount of complaints. Just so much room for error.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 AM

Leaving a context sensitive issue in the hands of a machine just isn't the way to go about it I think. Given the number of times the server can just "drop" 3-4 people at once and give the "left the game" message, I don't think that's a good idea.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:45 PM

autoban is good in theory but theres no denying people will complain a lot in practise! As much as i would feel privileged to be an admin I think regardless an eu admin is needed! ingbo would be great imo =]

I think for auto bans, due to not actually knowing the reason for leaving e.g. computer runs out of battery... the bans should not be longer than 24 hours at most and if there is reason to believe it was an intentional leave with no real thought it can be reviewed and extended!

However, even then, a 1 day ban for a person who's computer ran out of battery is completely unfair! therefore auto bans really would be hard to implement fairly!

In the meantime please consider me for EU admin, I think most would agree myself and Ingbo are the most active ladder members from the EU =]
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 AM

I can admin if you need, I'm very active in both tbd and ball ladders
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
I can admin if you need, I'm very active in both tbd and ball ladders
same but nobo told me he didn't make me admin because i make jokes about banning people -_-
Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 AM

BTW I hope nobo is taking the right steps and making sure that everyone who "volunteered to admin" is banned from ladder for life
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
BTW I hope nobo is taking the right steps and making sure that everyone who "volunteered to admin" is banned from ladder for life
Lol thats funny logic.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 AM

Ingbo's admin, right? If not, waddafux?

also, make me an admin, obviously. most active ball ladder player (by far)!

I promise to not permaban dodd. maybe.

edit: also, pick radium. that guy's totally not a racist, I think

Last edited by poofighter24; 06-15-2010 at 08:12 AM.