Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Default Euro server for ladder

We definitely need one european server for ladder. There are times in the day when the server is full with almost only europeans and everyone has 100+ and 200+ (even 300+) pings. It's impossible to play like that with all the lags.

I see no reason why there shouldn't be an european server in addition to the American one (actually 2 Amrican servers :O).
I hope you will open one. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM

I can confirm that there are times in the day when everyone playing ladder has a +130 ping.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rt View Post
I can confirm that there are times in the day when everyone playing ladder has a +130 ping.
And you can probably confirm too that {arr} #1 (and sometimes {arr} #2) is full during most of daytime in europe and some of the night time, and mostly with good players.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM

A quick survey i did yesterday revealed that 339/669 (about 50%) of the players regisered on the ladder comes from the USA. Amongst the top 100 players 59 come from the USA. So besides the inconvinience of playing on a laggy server, players from the US have a clear advantage over europeans.

So please give us a european ball server.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 PM

it's not easy coding, according to nobo.
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showt...t=2469&page=13
it's scattered around pages 13 and 14 of this thread if you want more info.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I think the coding would be fairly simple. But the biggest obstacle is actually finding a server. Everyone always calls for a server but never mentions the fact that they cost money. The servers we have now are courtesy of Phong and we get to use them free of charge. The {arr} guys had talked for a while about hooking me up with some euro servers, but after I bugged them unsuccessfully for about 3 weeks I gave up on that idea. If you have server space in Europe that you are willing to donate then feel free to contact me.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
Actually, I think the coding would be fairly simple. But the biggest obstacle is actually finding a server. Everyone always calls for a server but never mentions the fact that they cost money. The servers we have now are courtesy of Phong and we get to use them free of charge. The {arr} guys had talked for a while about hooking me up with some euro servers, but after I bugged them unsuccessfully for about 3 weeks I gave up on that idea. If you have server space in Europe that you are willing to donate then feel free to contact me.
For whatever reason, {arr} has the best european servers I've played on. I get around 90-110 on their servers, and over 120+ on most other euro servers. So if this were to happen, I would request it be with whatever they use.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 AM

There is deffo a cultural disconnect between "time when Americans are on" and "time when Euros are on."

Like some Euros don't understand that it's common courtesy to spectate one player when you're in a 6v5. Grumble grumble.

Speccez un svp!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
Speccez un svp!
Mes yeux ! Mes magnifiques yeux !
Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 AM

Speccez ou nous allons te kicker.

See I know le french...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
Speccez ou nous allons te kicker.

See I know le french...
Mon dieu. Faites-le taire, quelqu'un, pitié !

At least I feel a bit less bad about butchering your silly language now.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 AM

C'est une bonne chose il ya l'internet pour ceux d'entre nous qui ne connaissent pas le français.

/smarticles
Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM

I can give you two EU servers, for free. I already contacted nobo but he told me that he had other things to code before he could do this multiple server thing. I need a week to set them up so please let me know as soon as you decide.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I can give you two EU servers, for free. I already contacted nobo but he told me that he had other things to code before he could do this multiple server thing. I need a week to set them up so please let me know as soon as you decide.
Let nobo decide. He has to link them to the ladder ranking.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
C'est une bonne chose il ya l'internet pour ceux d'entre nous qui ne connaissent pas le français.

/smarticles
Seulement ce tu ne sembles pas remarquer c'est que google traduction est assez mauvais en ce qui concerne la grammaire et surtout l'utilisation correcte des mots. Ta phrase, bien que grammaticalement correcte, n'est pas ce qu'un français dirait naturellement.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM

First we need to know how stable Andy's servers are. We had a lot of problems before with Tec's servers for unknown reasons. There should be a stress test on Andy's before anything gets put up.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM

there are 3 servers up atm, lets just try and fill them all up so we can check out how they work. I still think nobo hasnt got to the code yet and dunno if he ever will, but in the meantime we can stress test them.

The vps isnt mine this site (project-multiplayer.it) hosts them for me (free, they just want their name up there) so i need to know a bit in advance when servers need to be changed etc.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM

There are indeed some issues with coding that get complicated when you have multiple servers. However, there seems to be some level of demand for this so for the next season I will make sure the code works properly with multiple servers--feel free to set up any potential servers and test them now so they're ready when the next season is ready.

Also, Andy--if your servers are free they are unlikely to be any good. You can't just play them and see that they don't lag for one game and then conclude they are fine. Tec's servers were fine most of the time, then on random days they'd just kick everybody out. Same with lam's servers (the old ladder servers). Phong's servers are extremely buff spec-wise, and likely to be somewhat expensive--we'd need servers to be of similar caliber if you want them to be reliable.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM

they are free because the site is directly related to the internet provider (fastweb) therefore to have some advertising (their name on the server name) they decided to give it to me for free. They have loads of game servers also for other games, im pretty sure it will work but if you dont trust me im up for some extensive/hard testing..
Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
The {arr} guys had talked for a while about hooking me up with some euro servers, but after I bugged them unsuccessfully for about 3 weeks I gave up on that idea.
I am sorry if the situation was left unclear for you. Basically what happened is that I am not allowed to install any other software (the ladder software) on the server I am getting access to through a friend, so I wont be able to offer it for ladder use. I hope this clears that.

I will be getting my own VPS later this year, but there's going to be some time to that as I am too busy with this right now to get that project started. With the VPS fully under my control I can host any servers and other software that is required, but like I said it will probably be very late this year.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
they are free because the site is directly related to the internet provider (fastweb) therefore to have some advertising (their name on the server name) they decided to give it to me for free. They have loads of game servers also for other games, im pretty sure it will work but if you dont trust me im up for some extensive/hard testing..
How does the server work? Would I be able to log in to the server and directly access and manipulate the files located on it, and install programs like PHP?