Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Gotta redownload and then i will go to krawz's server to play it in 'bout 30 mins.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

awesome but the background looks a bit cardboardish not paperish
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Well it is cardboardish, I'm okay with that, haha. Cardboard gives a better contrast. Hence the name doodle, you can doodle on anything!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:08 AM

Here is my feedback after having it put down my throat on the ladder.
Let's begin with the pros : the graphics are great, it's simple and unique. I see complaints about the background, don't know if you changed it since but it didn't bother me.

Now, the cons : basically, it's too closed on itself and with too much obstacles. The arrows in each goal areas make it very difficult to defend unless you camp it, because when you respawn it offers too much cover for someone taking the low path and the opening is so close to the goal it's already too late to defend.
In general, there is a bit too much much cover and too narrow passages so if you take the wrong turn for a split-second, you're screwed. Concretely, you have to be so cautious it feels a bit like playing ball on a TBD map. It doesn't really promote passes and movement like, in my opinion, a ball map should.
I think if you changed the size of the obstacles to free some space and created more openings, it would be much more enjoyable.
The middle may end up too much like Core so maybe you could expand your theme with triangles and arrows there instead of the broken circle.

Hope this helps !
Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaku View Post
It doesn't really promote passes and movement
I disagree. imo, after watching that game, everyone was far too apprehensive on self-passing which I believe is the primary method of ball movement on this map. Yes, some of the passages can be unforgiving to the fat ones, but this map is unique in its own right and adds an interesting dynamic to the somewhat stale ball map pool.

Now that you fixed the goal area, methinks its perfect the way it is.

Great job bird.

edit: more like, ball_doody
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM

I dislike the background color choice. One team being yellow it is sometimes hard to see there plains. Thats my biggest concern, im actually surprised that team was made yellow in the first place, considering how close to the background color it is. Am I like alone not playing in colorblind mode or something ?

There is not enough place to move. There are some very narrow passages and some of them in the middle of the map. This makes explodet play very strong, even stronger than on most maps and considering ball is mainly explodets anyway, that makes it extremely difficult to play anything else than explodet/loopy and maybe randa. I think that's my main concern about the map atm.

The arrows near the goals make for very easy bounce shots opportunities and already after playing only 2/3 times on the map, I've seen a lot of people do it. While I agree that there should be some bounce shot opportunities, this is a bit too easy in my opinion and needs to be changed to make it harder to score from a very long distance. Maybe create more space between the end of the arrow and the goal.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM

I think the problem is still the direct path in the bottom from the middle of the map to the goal. This just doesn't work. Think for example mayhem2 as an example. If you go down you wont have a direct path to the goal, there are objects in the way and you need to stay down for a while before you get back up. Also the down path that ends up behind the goal is actually useful in mayhem2 in certain situations, but on this map there is just no reason not to go directly from the middle to the goal, and even if you want to go below the first obstacle for some reason you have absolutely no reason to go below the second object as you are directly below the goal already.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 AM

Thank you all for the feedback.

I am requesting for nobo to pull this from the ladder for the time being while I make some changes to the map (as a response to feedback I have been receiving).

I have received both good and bad feedback, but I do feel that changes need to be made, and I think that the ladder deserves to not have to deal with a map that is undergoing revision (though they have many times in the past).

Hopefully I should have the necessary changes (map layout, colors, size, etc.) made by the end of the weekend, so keep an eye out for it.

Ps. Gemi, I have personally used the bottom route for excellent passing opportunities. Try it out = ]