Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
OK, I like the rating system very much, dont get me wrong and also the balanced games and the incentive to play as a teamplayer that stem from this system. But still the ranking of players is a bit unfair. Look at ball ladder where void is #1 and dart #8. You can't say that void is better than dart because void played almost 4 times as many games. So the comparing of players with different number of games played is unfair. What i'm asking for then is maybe a correction for this (if possible). Maybe in the form of 2 lists, one like the one existant right now and the other one to compare player skills and to see which player is the best.
void is better than dart
Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz- View Post
So i was looking at the top players ratings compared to their (W-L)*25. it seems there are some players who received significant ratings boosts from playing in a lot of games with large edges (im guessing before the balance was put in place.)

is there any plan to resetting scores now that all the games are autobalanced? seems pretty bad to have unbalanced games mixed with balanced games in the same rating.
ehehhehhehe. yeah im a part of that crowd . before LadderBalance, picking teams was a real skill because you wanted to have a good team, but not one that was stacked with so many high ranking players that you would only get a few points from winning, but risked a ton by losing. it was always frustrating to struggle through a long game for 2-5 points, but it was sweet as hell to win a game and earn 45+. but it seems to me like resetting is only going to occur once the next season of ladder starts.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
void is better than dart
this. nothing against dart but void is legit
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 AM

d4rt is legit but he can't whale and let's face it the top of the ladder is just the best whales plus 2-3 amazing randas and loopies
Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
d4rt is legit but he can't whale and let's face it the top of the ladder is just the best whales plus 2-3 amazing randas and loopies
um wat?
top 5:
bomber/explo
explo/loopy
loopy
loopy/randa/explo
randa
that's 1 most-time explo

6-10
bomber
randa/explo
loopy
biplane/everything
loopy

... yeah, so that's wrong.
not really relevant to anything, but im just sayin.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 AM

on topic off ladder jokes, the amount of fail games due to 6v5 and people leaving is now over 50% easily its highly frustrating! especially because then after going through the fail ladder game u then get specced! its the most frustrating thing!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM

another angle you could take is to lessen the impact of 6 goals to 5 games. Since a game that goes 6-5 is nearly indistinguishable from a tie the losers should be rewarded (or punished less) for the game.

perhaps the impact of the game could be lessened by .4 points for every goal the losing team scores? or something along that wave. it would do a bit to lessen the luck involved if the ladder didnt treat a 6-1 the same as a 6-5 and would create incentive for teams to try really hard the whole time.

Last edited by zz-; 07-12-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz- View Post
another angle you could take is to lessen the impact of 6 goals to 5 games. Since a game that goes 6-5 is nearly indistinguishable from a tie the losers should be rewarded (or punished less) for the game.

perhaps the impact of the game could be lessened by .4 points for every goal the losing team scores? or something along that wave. it would do a bit to lessen the luck involved if the ladder didnt treat a 6-1 the same as a 6-5 and would create incentive for teams to try really hard the whole time.
This is actually a pretty good point. It keeps it team oriented, because the amount of points you win or lose is based on how well your team does. Though on the flip side it would bring a whole new thing with points shaving. Up 5-0 do you let the other team score 5 before you finish it off just so you get more points from the game. So good idea, which would probably be abused horribly, ruining ladder. So I say don't do it.

Also, Palin, its 1500 not 1400.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Winning by more goals would give you a higher boost from the game. for example, a 6-1 game would be +25/-25 and a 6-5 game would be +22/-22. So each team always has the incentive to score as many goals as possible and allow as few as possible
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM

But why would you reward a team more for an easy victory than a hard fought victory. Whenever my team wins easily I always assume that my team had an advantage in players over the other team and when its close I assume that the teams were more even or that we had a disadvantage.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir416 View Post
But why would you reward a team more for an easy victory than a hard fought victory. Whenever my team wins easily I always assume that my team had an advantage in players over the other team and when its close I assume that the teams were more even or that we had a disadvantage.
i think that's the point. if your team was better you'd give them more points, therefore increasing their ranking more and lessening the chance that an unbalanced team like that would be made up again. sounds like a good idea to me
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
But why would you reward a team more for an easy victory than a hard fought victory.
Because that means there's a severe mis-valuation.

The same reasoning supports a multiplying factor on the points won/lost for a newbie player's first 10 or 20 games, to get their ranking to its real value as fast as possible.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 AM

That works in theory, but there's several factors that affect individual goals/bombs that have nothing to do with skill. Lag comes off the top of my head for this.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Tbh, ladder works to give you good balanced games every now and then, but not to give you a good individual rating. Because you'll always play with a team. You can never measure the individual input in a team game with the statistics you have now.

End of story!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Thanks for ruining everyone's genital appendage comparison, Boko.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM

heh yeah, i'd have to agree with that now boko. kills and goals arent a good way to measure someone's contribution... i was just sorta throwing ideas out --- i do like my other idea about the game scores though.

still learning more about ladder as i go, thanks for thoughtful replies everyone (especially esoteric.)
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM

oh wow
Closed Thread