Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Default Banned from Ladder?

Um, okay, so I spent days in the bouncy server leveling up to 60 so that I could access the ladder server, I finally get in and I'm met with people calling me a retard and a noob because I'm wearing some perk that I shouldn't or something, culminating in my being banned for 5 days?

What the **** is wrong with you people? I just want to play with some real competition and my only option is to "gtfo to noob server"?

Seriously?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM

I think there is something to do with this thread:

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4015

As you can see there, some perks are considered useless and some people think that using them hurts the team. They should probably have asked you to switch to a more useful setup first, but ladder is a private project and the admins do as they please and as they think it's better for the ladder community.

Edit: It seems they asked you to switch, ladder is a competitive server, if you wanna play there, you must be willing to do what you can to make your team win.

Last edited by mlopes; 07-09-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Let me explain again, since apparently Goose already explained.

The guys in your team asked you to change your perks, since the combination of dumb bombs+ace instincts is considered pretty ****ing terrible (dumb bombs is terrible by itself but ace basically makes you blue-perkless since you die so much in competitives games, especially ball, you can very rarely get the veteran bars needed to make ace instincts useful). They may indeed have used of some extreme language after they saw you weren't complying.
Then you started responding and didnt spawn for quite a long time. That is a real problem worthy of a ban.
But the big problem was that when people actually noticed you weren't spawning they said that you are making your team losing on purpose and you said that you didn't care.
That is simply unacceptable in a competitive ladder game. This is why you are banned.
Any further questions ?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM

I wasn't intentionally making my team lose, nor did I say that I didn't care. I was tied up because I was trying to figure out what they were wanting me to DO, I didn't realize anyone was talking to me at first because not one of them addressed me by my alias. I asked repeatedly for someone to just explain what I need to do and why, and that I would do it.

What you just said makes sense, nobody's ever mentioned that. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if that one guy wasn't talking **** incessantly. Put it this way, every game's community has gripes with certain skills or items, most of the time these gripes are simply that: gripes. When I was playing and randomly got told "hey retard stop acing" or whatever, I assumed people were just whining about some perk that they personally found to be unfair.

Maybe if someone explained it in more than 3 words I would have found it easier to comply. It felt like cops pushing me to the ground and hitting me, then when they see that I am convulsing from the constant assault, proceed to tase me for failure to comply.

A little extreme, but fairly apt. I don't find it at all becoming of a league or competitive ladder to treat newcomers in such a way. Being that I come from a game that has been around since the late 90's, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to smug, elitist bastards running a community, but I've never seen one that aggressively insults and then BANS people for simply not understanding what the hell is being asked of them or why they're being insulted by everyone.

And for the record, I was doing just fine in ladder earlier with the same setup. I'll take that advice and change it as it does seem limiting, but again, it doesn't make sense that I was banned for 5 days for this.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Pretty sure they told you to remove ace and dumb bombs one time then 25 insults.
But yes the community is a bit ass hattish.

Last edited by CCN; 07-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Im currently reading the chat log of the game and they said almost at the beginning of the game what they expected of you. One guy told you why ace instincts is not good in that situation and someone else said what you could use instead of that. They werent even complaining about dumb bombs.
And I confirm that you said that you didn't care that you were loosing, I have the logs right in front of me.

Since it's your first ban I think 5 days is indeed a bit extreme so I'll reduce it to two days, but thats only because I'm currently in a good mood and because I suspect the community you're referring to may be TL.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
Im currently reading the chat log of the game and they said almost at the beginning of the game what they expected of you. One guy told you why ace instincts is not good in that situation and someone else said what you could use instead of that. They werent even complaining about dumb bombs.
And I confirm that you said that you didn't care that you were loosing, I have the logs right in front of me.

Since it's your first ban I think 5 days is indeed a bit extreme so I'll reduce it to two days, but thats only because I'm currently in a good mood and because I suspect the community you're referring to may be TL.
Heh, wow actual helpful advice, he ignores it and then after everyone getting annoyed at him wants it again after failing to read it the first time.

Why do new people not read/acknowledge chat then play dumb when a vote kick and swearing happens.

I take back what I said, he got **** explained to him then the swearing begins. Deserved. Explained in detail and an alternative, jeez.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsightly View Post
A little extreme, but fairly apt. I don't find it at all becoming of a league or competitive ladder to treat newcomers in such a way. Being that I come from a game that has been around since the late 90's, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to smug, elitist bastards running a community, but I've never seen one that aggressively insults and then BANS people for simply not understanding what the hell is being asked of them or why they're being insulted by everyone.
Starcraft?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

At the same matches, there was another player with the same setup (dumb bombs+ace instincts) named The Jedi Mind****. Not only did we tell him to take off the setup and he refused, but for a couple matches all he did was throw the ball into random areas and circle around our goal. He never responded to us telling him to play a real setup or to stop throwing the games. I think he deserves a ban.

Last edited by Greekjr14; 07-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Being lvl 60 does not auto-qualify you to play on ladder. Getting 75,000 xp by playing 8v8 ball with bouncy walls does very little to teach you how to play 5v5 tbd or 6v6 ball at a moderately high level.

Due to the nature of these games, one poor performance by an overrated player (you're overrated because you're new to the ladder rating system) easily translates into a loss for the entire team. Yea, there's a lot of hate in the community but honestly if you had approached this with a good attitude and a thicker skin, it probably would have ended much happier.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
Getting 75,000 xp by playing 8v8 ball with bouncy walls does very little to teach you how to play 5v5 tbd or 6v6 ball at a moderately high level.
This pretty much qualify you to be a basketball.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekjr14 View Post
At the same matches, there was another player with the same setup (dumb bombs+ace instincts) named The Jedi Mind****. Not only did we tell him to take off the setup and he refused, but for a couple matches all he did was throw the ball into random areas and circle around our goal. He never responded to us telling him to play a real setup or to stop throwing the games. I think he deserves a ban.
And I gave him one immediately after that.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM

yessss someone got yelled at and it wasn't me doing the yelling

score one for elixir
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
yessss someone got yelled at and it wasn't me doing the yelling

score one for elixir
That's funny, because I just assumed it was you.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM

You can sit there and say you're reading chat logs all you want, I never said I didn't care if my team lost.

One guy may have been trying to help but it's pretty hard to read when there are others spamming the chat with RETARD and GTFO. I didn't deserve to be banned for not listening, I wasn't even sure what the hell was being asked of me. I sure as hell wasn't running around throwing the ball into random places, and if the only issue was that I was 'hurting my team' by not having the right perks on, why bring it up at all in the game when I'm doing just fine?

I'm not going to sit here and argue this, if you really think that banning someone for this is right, your community is pretty terrible. This isn't how you treat new players, that just makes people quit. Luckily I'm used to the elitist attitude or I'd have just uninstalled the game after being banned.

Bottom line is, I was told by someone to join a ladder server because it'd be fun, and I was greeted with nothing but idiots yelling at me for somehow hurting my team, which doesn't seem very true at all considering I was 3-0 on ladder when I first started. Obviously I was doing something right.

Carry on with your nonsensical ban. Can't wait to dominate that pathetic moron when I get back in the game.

Very sad.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM

lol ladder isn't fun, it's a competition. if you want fun and rainbows go to dojo or arr servers
Old 07-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Competition is fun. Dominating noob servers is fun but unfulfilling.

herp derp lol go play noob zone noob lulz

I'd lock this if I knew how.

Last edited by unsightly; 07-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
One guy may have been trying to help but it's pretty hard to read when there are others spamming the chat with RETARD and GTFO. I didn't deserve to be banned for not listening, I wasn't even sure what the hell was being asked of me.
I kind of feel that might be a legitimate concern. It's like trying to have a conversation when some random guy starts going
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
etc.

(and we've all seen that happen) You just literally don't have the time to read what was said because it gets pushed away. Chatlogs only show what's entered, not the pace of the conversation. Even if one person was trying to be helpful once, it would be hard to read if the other 8 + specs start spamming gtfo rofl nub lolz.

And no, ladder isn't fun. It's the least amount of fun you can possibly have in this game. Being the internet, all the dark sides of competition come out in force because everyone here is more or less anonymously playing.

Last edited by silent skies; 07-09-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Except the dojo and arr servers are only a step below ladder. Obviously you don't know the community as well as you act like you do if you immediately lable them "noob servers".

Silent: That's true, but you can just scroll back through the chat or mute them.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Silent: That's true, but you can just scroll back through the chat or mute them.
I don't know if this is true for other players, but when I'm scrolling back up the chatlog and someone enters in new text, the chatlog immediately goes right back down to the bottom to show the new text. This problem is compounded when people are spamming, it's like swimming upstream.

And if you're busy trying to mute spammers while the spam is happening to you, you're definitely going to miss what's being said. Text vanishes in mere seconds.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM

I don't have that problem. Try actually grabbing the scrollbar onscreen instead of using a mousewheel. That may fix it. And, I conceed on the second point.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM

I act like I know the community?

Why is everyone here so quick to defend people who are obviously assholes? silent skies is correct, the chat was moving extremely fast and I couldn't see anything except for the guys insulting me. You suggest that I should stop and scroll up to read what was said, but that would actually require me to stop playing and scroll through the idiocy to find the one gem of info that would cause people to shut the hell up and leave me be.

Either way I was boned apparently. Again, this is not how you treat someone who is new and doesn't know what you're talking about. I was pretty civil, stated repeatedly that if someone just told me what to do, I'd do it, and was spammed by everyone to ban me for non-compliance with some unwritten law.

I don't know why I even bother posting, if you think that it is just to ban someone for such an 'offense' I don't know what to say to change your mind. It's simply retarded.

And again, I was 3-0 before this whole issue surfaced. If I'm hurting my team by using the skills, why were we winning? I'll be glad to turn them off so that I don't get banned by some power-tripping blowhard in the future, but I think you'll find that I and any other newbies will respond much warmer to kindness and reasonable requests than we will to people randomly calling for us to be lynched.

If those skills aren't allowed on that server, you should state it in the rules or remove them completely so that when someone makes a stupid comment I can check the rules and see that no, those skills aren't allowed and the guy isn't just being a moron for no reason.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM

raging at noobs is definitely a recurring problem in ladder. most people are guilty of it, myself included, but we do need to realize that sometimes these newer players are willing to take advice if it's just given properly. I dont know what happened in your situation^, but it doesnt matter at this point as your ban is almost over. There are definitely some experienced players who have a lot to contribute, and players would do well to pay attention, but it is difficult to find the nugget of actual advice sometimes in between a torrid of insults. it's even harder to actually listen to that person if he/she is being a douche to you.

I was playing tbd ladder a while ago, and someone made a huge mistake. obviously he got raged at. however, it was hard for him to accept the mistake, learn from it, and move on because he was being berated constantly. i talked to the rager afterward, and since then- at least from what i've seen, the advice is usually free of insults. because of this, it is much easier to follow and actually accept.

that being said there are players who simply don't listen, and there are players who are simply bad/unexperienced, no matter what advice you give them. to the first group i dont really have much sympathy. to the second, i think they need to be encouraged to play in ball/bomb dojo, arr servers, and officials. those servers are by no means nooby, but they offer a good place to prepare for the ****storm that is inevitably waiting in the ladders.

btw, making a guide was a good idea, sins
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
I don't have that problem. Try actually grabbing the scrollbar onscreen instead of using a mousewheel.
Oh, I do. The chat box will twitch down to the newest entry, then twitch back up to where you're holding the scrollbar. In cases where lots of spam is flowing in, the chatlog can be said to be 'vibrating' at this point, and very uneasy to read.

Quote:
If those skills aren't allowed on that server, you should state it in the rules or remove them completely so that when someone makes a stupid comment I can check the rules and see that no, those skills aren't allowed and the guy isn't just being a moron for no reason.
Having this addendum added to the rules is currently in contention.

Quote:
Either way I was boned apparently. Again, this is not how you treat someone who is new and doesn't know what you're talking about. I was pretty civil, stated repeatedly that if someone just told me what to do, I'd do it, and was spammed by everyone to ban me for non-compliance with some unwritten law.
Personally, I think ladder isn't really intended for people who are brand new at the game to begin with. (And yes, just reaching level 60 means you're still brand new. I reached level 60 in my first week of play.)

But yeah, I personally think the community should be nicer to newer players, but this isn't an expectation that can be enforced. Playing alty is a hobby, not a job, and there aren't any binding requirements to be polite to people. Kinda unfortunate but there you have it.

After playing for longer you'll start learning the 'unwritten rules' and hopefully start learning who you should mute in order to have a more enjoyable experience. At one point I turned off in-game chat for about a month. It was a very enjoyable month.

Quote:
I don't know why I even bother posting, if you think that it is just to ban someone for such an 'offense' I don't know what to say to change your mind. It's simply retarded.
Well, tyr did reduce the ban to two days instead of five. That's something. And it's only temporary. It's not like you got permabanned.

Quote:
And again, I was 3-0 before this whole issue surfaced.
When the whole team wins, that doesn't necessarily mean that your ace instincts + dumb bombs were the driving force on the road to victory.

I find dumb bombs amusing and wish they didn't get as much hate, but they're generally recognized as probably the weakest red perk and currently have no place in the competitive arenas. In the pubs, almost every plane setup I use has reverse thrust - sniplane, reverse explo, I even play some reverse flexi dumb bombs and actually get a nice ratio. But once I hit ladder I use a more common bomber setup that's useful for the team.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

What Sin said.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsightly View Post
I act like I know the community?

Yes, you do. You clearly imply that the Arr and Dojo servers are n00b a few posts back.

Why is everyone here so quick to defend people who are obviously assholes?

In all of this giant blaze of butthurt, you haven't once given us the name of a player. So that strongly implies that you're addressing all of us.
Responses in bold.

If you take ingame criticism guns blazing like the way you are here, you probably deserved that ban.

In case it wasn't readily obvious: Ladder. Is. Not. For. New. Players.
We're not trying to be mean, but we deal with this same thread literally every other week.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 PM

It's easy to say "Oh ladder players are assholes." K granted at least we're not noobs

asshole > noob

If you have a player who's annoying you you can just mute them and then it'll be like you're playing witha really really good bot!

Of course I dont recommend muting neone if you're a noob because when youre kicked for your noobiness you won't even hear the reason.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
It's easy to say "Oh ladder players are assholes." K granted at least we're not noobs

asshole > noob

If you have a player who's annoying you you can just mute them and then it'll be like you're playing witha really really good bot!

Of course I dont recommend muting neone if you're a noob because when youre kicked for your noobiness you won't even hear the reason.
but you are terrible
Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
Responses in bold.

If you take ingame criticism guns blazing like the way you are here, you probably deserved that ban.

In case it wasn't readily obvious: Ladder. Is. Not. For. New. Players.
We're not trying to be mean, but we deal with this same thread literally every other week.
You do realize that I'm not the one referring to them as noob servers? I was paraphrasing what was said to me. I don't understand why you think I should stay out of the ladder server just because I'm new. Your game is not that difficult to learn, so I don't intend on playing in the kiddie pool for a few years before taking my floaties off and jumping into the real action. Edit: And this isn't criticism. I can take criticism, but what was happening last night was just absurd. Like I said, had someone simply said "Hey unsightly, turn off your blue perk, it isn't helpful at all in this server." I would have been happy to oblige. Unfortunately, I was not even once called by name until I happened to ask who they were calling 'retard', at which point I was called a retard that needed to turn Ace off, which again I didn't even know what they were talking about. My guns generally start blazing when something completely unfair happens to me, like being banned for 5 days for not complying quick enough with the orders of a 12 year old. Furthermore, my guns aren't even 'blazing', I'm being pretty polite here.

Anyway... I just find it kind of odd that a game with such a small player base has a community that literally goes out of its way to drive new players away from it. If anything you should be kind to them and teach them the 'vet' ways so that you can have more competition in your leagues and whatnot. I certainly wish we had as many willing players in the game I call home, we'd definitely treat them with anything but the disdain I've received here.

I'm done here. I haven't seen one response that could be considered even remotely decent to someone who is clearly trying to understand what is going on.

Thanks for the link, Sin. I'll be sure to read it and adjust my style to suit ladder play. I'll probably take the advice of muting certain players, but I'm wary of turning the entire chat off since I might get banned for crossing some sort of imaginary line by a power-tripping jackass.

See you guys in game, I guess.

Last edited by unsightly; 07-10-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hey man,

I know people can be dicks - I know that things can sometimes be unfair. Sadly, that's just the way the internet is. I find it unfortunate you are now passing judgment on all of us and on the game as a whole because of your experience.

I totally understand how you feel, though. I remember starting off and being insulted left and right by ferret and other top players of the time. It really annoyed me and I hated playing with them. However, I eventually learned to ignore their insults and simply try and take them as advice (as much as I hated it). I figured - hey these people might be douches - but I can kind of pick up some things here and there. I'll get better than them - and hey a year later I'd say I am.

I practiced for awhile, talked to some of the nicer pros, and became better at the game. Now that I'm in their position I have to try and remember what it was like to be a new player. Sadly, that's sometimes hard to do. I get especially frustrated with new players who insist that I'm just a nub when I tell them that reverse is bad and that they aren't being an asset to the team the way they are playing.

In a competitive scenario people often times let the emotions get the better of them. Staying calm and trying to work through things calmly is the best thing you can do. If you feel you're still being mistreated take a screenshot and send it to us. We'll look at chat logs and figure out where to go from there. I often warn players when I'm in there and I see them being dicks.

Anywho, just keep trying and hopefully things will get better. I'm sure you've more than learned what people hate (i.e. dumb bombs and ace instincts and reverse). So just try your best and go from there. Sorry things have been so rough and sorry you feel so hurt by this - but remember that it is the internet and many people are dicks. =/

Last edited by mikesol; 07-10-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:09 AM

Exactly what Mike said. Just F5 it and send it in.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Hey unsightly,

Check your inbox, under "Your Notifications" in the top right corner, if you haven't already. Hopefully the message will be helpful = ]
Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 AM

The best solution to this is having people starting with 1000 rating or even less. Good people will climb up fast and bad people will not make their team worse. There's a lot of people who've been playing for a year or so with a rating lower than 1500, no person starting should be that high.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 AM

the community is excessively harsh. Especially in ladder as everyone is sooo anal about their ladder positions they cant help but rage and go mad. The ban is totally fair and anyone else would get the same.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
but you are terrible
k in case it hasn't sunk in yet this newbie is complaining about people like you.

You're one of the ragiest players in the game. You spend about the first half of the game playing, until you figure out who's the worst player on your team then you spend the last half of the game raging at them and hamstringing your whole team with teamchat fights. Your rage spills over so much that sometimes you even type whole sentences while alive which makes u useless to ur own team...

Like Nip said people who play ladder to anally minmax their way to the top = no fun
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
k in case it hasn't sunk in yet this newbie is complaining about people like you.

You're one of the ragiest players in the game. You spend about the first half of the game playing, until you figure out who's the worst player on your team then you spend the last half of the game raging at them and hamstringing your whole team with teamchat fights. Your rage spills over so much that sometimes you even type whole sentences while alive which makes u useless to ur own team...

Like Nip said people who play ladder to anally minmax their way to the top = no fun
elixir is pro...

but i guess haters gonna hate.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Rage is something that happens, it's hard to stop if you're mentally inclined to rage. I don't want to rage when I lose but I can't help myself. It's a disease, don't be cruel to ragers, help them!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:

But Sarah, Elixir doesn't usually shout " GET THE BALL", "PASS", "BRIDGE TO PROWARE", ''FAIL PASS IS FAIL", "TOO MANY LOPPIES", and the list goes on.... You keep yelling at people way to much. This doesn't really make the team want to listen to what you have to shout at.

Plus usuk.

Elixir just gets frustrated when people on his team don't choose good perks for their plane. I think i'm forgetting something about him though...
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I get mad when people make dumb mistakes. Like when you log on.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

I would never say too many loopies. Loopy thunder!

I would say too many terrible loopies, though.