Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides > Beta Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Beta Guides Beta guides are still works in progress.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Default elixir's guide to playing an effective biplane in ball

Hi there, ladies and gentleman. After my initial success getting the biplane buffed, I recently decided to, through careful analysis, see just how you can get the most out of this silly little thing in a game of ball.

What follows is The Official, Unabridged, Guide to Ball Biplane ®.

WARNING: the biplane is a highly advanced weapon system. If you are not skilled, you may get extremely poor results with this plane, and you WILL hurt your team.

Step one: choosing the biplane.

This part is easy. So you've played around a little bit, and you now have a positive ratio with loopy and/or bomber. Good for you! You've decided to kick it up a notch. Miranda is still a mind ****, so that's out. Explodet is fat, and everyone hates fat people. Scratch that. You're left with the biplane. That old relic. So be it. Let's do this!

Click "e" on your screen when you are dead (to check if you are dead, hit "b". The seventh data point will say "alive: false" if you are, in fact, dead).

If you have successfully died, proceed to locate a biplane. DO NOT CLICK PLAY. Click "edit."

Step two: making your biplane not suck.

Now that you are in the edit screen, it is time to make your biplane a useful device.

BLUE PERK: Switch your blue perk out for turbocharger. Why turbocharger, you may ask? Well, because it doesn't suck.

Alternatively, you may equip ultracapacitor, but my extensive testing has shown that it is not as useful as the quick recharge speed of turbocharger.

Reverse thrust is an option if you are megawtfgood, but since your name isn't mled or beagle, you're not. Forget this perk exists.

Ace instincts is relatively pointless. You likely won't survive long enough to do anything useful with it that regular old silver bars won't do on their own.

GREEN PERK:

This one is easy. You want flexible wings. They are the only option. The biplane is so bad at turning that you will fail miserably if you don't choose this perk.

Repair drone is the only other semi-acceptable perk, and there is still just no point to it. I will go into depth on why you don't need repair drone or heavy armor once we reach the tactics section.

RED PERK: Ah, we reach it at last. The meat. The steel thunder. This part is actually a little more complicated than it sounds.

First, I will tell you what not to do. Do not use recoilless or dogfighter. They are worthless. If you are using them, I am looking at you and wondering why you aren't playing their more effective cousin, the loopy.

Great, so that narrows down our options somewhat. Now, we hit a little snag here. For those of you who are particularly astute readers, you will have realized that there is but one red perk left; the heavy cannon.

An unofficial, secondary source has informed me that heavy cannon is not unlocked until you reach level 53.

If this shady character is to be believed, I will kindly ask that all of you who are not level 53, cease reading posthaste. Feel free to return to this moment when you have acquired the requisite level.

Now then. If you did it correctly, your shiny new biplane should look like this:

Great, you did it! You are halfway-ish to becoming a useful member of your plane ball team.

We will now take a brief intermission and move onto tactics in the next post.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Step three: how the heck do I fly this thing!?!?

Welcome back!

I will begin our discussion on tactics by saying that there is almost nothing worse than a bad biplane. Ebola is worse.

Part A) the differentiation between a loopy and a biplane

This is important! The first mistake you will make with your new biplane is attempting to fly it like a loopy. You will suck. A lot. Don't try it.

A loopy's secondary weapon is likely emp. They can swoop in, stall an enemy, and circle to finish the job.

A biplane cannot do this. The closer you are to the enemy, the more likely you are to die. "Wait," you say. "I have a secondary weapon that is highly effective at close range!"

Well, you would, except you chose heavy cannon, which has the crappiest secondary ever. Good going. A heavy cannon is a sniper. A loopy is Jason Statham. End of discussion.

Part B) well, ok. but how does that help me?

In more ways than you can imagine. When you are flying a biplane, I want you to resist every last urge to rush into combat and do something stupid. You are most effective sitting at the edge of the engagement.

Part C) target selection

This is easy.

(1) things that are smoking. Easy targets. End them.
(1a) things holding a ball. The ball is the principle item in the game. It is rather important that you keep the other team from touching it. End them.
(2) planes that aren't the same color as you.

Part D) your job on defense

This is important. Often, you will see a plane attempt to break behind your line. Do not let them. This is also why so many of you will fail. The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of playing a biplane is your ability to hit without fail. You get two shots, then a third a bit later. If you miss, the enemy will likely score. Do. Not. Miss.

As a biplane, your job is to kill everything. You are a ratio whore. If you do not have a good ratio, stop reading this and go play loopy.

Part E) your job on offense

The biplane functions in a quasi-miranda/bomber role on offense. It is your job to (a) clear a hole to the goal by killing everything (see: do not miss), and (b) to rush in and grab a ball for a quick score if the opportunity presents itself.

Now, this is an important point. Your cannon is basically the most badass thing in the game. You do not need to fly around willy nilly, rushing to the ball like an idiot. If there is a ball, a goal, yourself, and one or two smoking enemies, kill them first. It should take you three (four at most) shots to kill two enemies after a fight around a goal. Remember: you have three seconds plus travel time. Do not panic.

Part F) EMP

Simple: if you get EMP'd, you die. Don't get emp'd. See part B for clarification on how to avoid getting emp'd.

Part G) why am I using this perk set again?

Heavy cannon. Flexible wings. Turbocharger.

Here is why:

Heavy cannon:

It is badass. It does massive damage. If you want to play recoilless or dogfighter, you will almost definitely be more effective as a loopy. The biplane's role is sniper. You have to be able to kill things, and kill them quickly, without going near them. The loopy's tracking system is its greatest strength and greatest weakness. It is inherently ineffective unless you are moving towards your enemy. The heavy cannon has no such flaws. Skilled aim is everything.

Flexible wings:

As previously alluded to, flexible wings is awesome. Regarding part D (defense), it is critical that you be able to swing your plane around and get quick, accurate shots off to prevent breakaways. The other perks simply do not allow for this.

Why not repair drone or heavy armor? Ok, so you think turning isn't important. Whatever. Repair drone should be unnecessary if you are doing your job (kill, kill, kill). There should be ample health for you. Repair drone is a crutch for poor biplane players, and it actually makes you worse because you have less turning ability, and thus a slower shot.

Heavy armor is just stupid. You are already tougher than a loopy. You aren't going near the fight unless there is a golden opportunity to grab the ball. Stop getting shot.

Turbocharger:

Quick, accurate shots are the hallmark of success for a biplane. The turbocharger allows you to recharge more quickly. It is a match made in heaven.

Ultracapacitor is marginally more effective for taking down heavy targets, but you need better aim because you will have fewer follow up shots. Heavy targets are not a breakaway threat on defense. Thus, this is not critical.

Ace instincts reduces your maximum shot count, and reduces how quickly you recharge. The benefit of somehow struggling to gold bars is not worth the instant capabilities lost.

Reverse thrust - just say no. Too many maps are too crowded for you to effectively navigate. The lost shots are crippling. A good enemy will not struggle to kill you. You are not beagle.

Part H) what of the other biplane setups?

There are roughly four people in this game who can use other setups effectively in ball. You aren't one of them.

Part I) in summation, bitches.

I hope that you have found this guide to be a helpful introduction towards playing and mastering one of the more strategically complex planes in the game.

If you have anything else you would like to see, please let me know and I will post the definitive word on it.

Last edited by elxir; 07-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

I believe heavy cannon is unlocked @ level 56?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
I believe heavy cannon is unlocked @ level 56?
^^^shady character, indeed

Also, never trust anyone with the letters "FU" in their name.

Alternatively, you could just delete this entire thing and tell everyone to loopy and leave HC to the pros (Esoteric, for example, who uses heavy armor btw).

Last edited by [Y]; 07-21-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
^^^shady character, indeed

Also, never trust anyone with the letters "FU" in their name.

Alternatively, you could just delete this entire thing and tell everyone to loopy and leave HC to the pros (Esoteric, for example, who uses heavy armor btw).
Because telling every new player to use loopy forever is somehow supposed to make the gaming scene better?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent skies View Post
Because telling every new player to use loopy forever is somehow supposed to make the gaming scene better?
Yes, because then we can farm those loopies with dumb bombs to get to ACE 10.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM

Or you could be playing trickster like a real sniper. Those 1 shot, 2 kills are oh so sweet. That, and hiding behind walls and bouncing **** at them pisses people off a lot.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

"I am a killing machine." "I am a killing machine."

Problem is, I keep thinking I'm a loopy and rushing into everything. Wish you'd warned me about that, 'lix.

And nice guide, btw. One-sided and accurate. Good work. One question, though... which perk is for aimbot?

I like the lixicon. Seventh data point... lol!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

I like it, especially the parts about me
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
I like it, especially the parts about me
I like how everyone thinks you're a pro rev bip because you made that video
Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I like it how Beagle is easily the best rev bipe in this game, and not because he made a video of himself.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Turbo on a HC biplane makes me want to puke. Not all over the floor though, just that little baby barf that you get in your mouth.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
i like how boko has know idea whats hes talkin about.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapon View Post
i like how boko has know idea whats hes talkin about.
qfknow....
Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
qfknow....
FUUUUUUUCK you
Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Yet to have seen beagle dominate a good match with rev biplane.

And for all the people who always post the video when sniplane comes up.

Here's a list of all the "pro" people beagle killed in his video:

ferret
bog saget 3x
kongen 2x
Bot 4
Gustav
SNYPR_666

Nothing against beagle, he's skilled for sure. But even Beagle can't be really effective with a rev bip.

Oh btw, can this be moved to the Guides section?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 AM

I love this guide!

Genesis.... Turbo > Ultra !
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
ferret
Ferret was better then 70+% of the modern altitude community. He was the resident elitist for a reason.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Yet to have seen beagle dominate a good match with rev biplane.

And for all the people who always post the video when sniplane comes up.

Here's a list of all the "pro" people beagle killed in his video:

ferret
bog saget 3x
kongen 2x
Bot 4
Gustav
SNYPR_666

Nothing against beagle, he's skilled for sure. But even Beagle can't be really effective with a rev bip.

Oh btw, can this be moved to the Guides section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapon View Post
i like how boko has NO idea whats hes talkin about.
stop before you make a complete fool of your self bud
Old 07-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

Excuse me for not knowing ferret, and reverse is imo still not a viable perk.

Last edited by Boko; 07-24-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to slabchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
Ferret was better then 70+% of the modern altitude community. He was the resident elitist for a reason.
Is ferret gone? sad face.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 AM

Ferret has been MIA for quite some time now.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Excuse me for not knowing ferret, and reverse is imo still not a viable perk.
lol Boko, just admit you were wrong and move on. Don't try to turn this into a "rev sucks" thread to cover ur tracks.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurripilot View Post
lol Boko, just admit you were wrong and move on. Don't try to turn this into a "rev sucks" thread to cover ur tracks.
I like how you're sticking it up for Beagle because you do think he's the best rev bip. And rev sucks has actually been my point all along, including the rev needs a boost thread I made long before this one. Don't try to make me admit I'm wrong when I'm not, dip****.

+ this elitist crap of old players sticking up for each other has to go. Kuja's not the best whale, Beagle's not the best biplane and Mikesol is not the best randa anymore. There are many new players who have matched/surpassed them. Now go ahead and hide behind the fact that "you've gotten rusty".

Last edited by Boko; 07-28-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I like how you're sticking it up for Beagle because you do think he's the best rev bip. And rev sucks has actually been my point all along, including the rev needs a boost thread I made long before this one. Don't try to make me admit I'm wrong when I'm not, dip****.

+ this elitist crap of old players sticking up for each other has to go. Kuja's not the best whale, Beagle's not the best biplane and Mikesol is not the best randa anymore. There are many new players who have matched/surpassed them. Now go ahead and hide behind the fact that "you've gotten rusty".
Wow. Someone does not know a joke when he sees it. Remind me to mute your extremely rude ass in game, k?

I never said Beags was the best Bipe, I said he's the best rev, which is true. Clearly you have not seen him play. Even when he hadn't played for like 3 months he was better than any other rev user I've ever seen, and I have seen quite a few of them.

Also, I never said Kuja was the best whale or Mike was the best randa (Kuja is not the best whale I've seen and Mike still is the best ANCHOR I've seen). You can call me an elitist all you want, but I am not, and anyone who knows me knows that is true. Beagle is the best reverse thrust user in this game. You made a totally uncalled for statement implying that he is not when clearly he is, therefore you are wrong. Elitism doesn't factor in, just plain observation. I'm not at all ignorant of or averse to new talent, nor are many of the vets. There are lots of players newer than I who are better than some of the older players, and most of us acknowledge that fact.

I must point out that instead of just letting this go or providing some kind of concrete evidence as to how Beagle is not the best reverse thrust user in this game, you're attempting to distract the issue with rev hate and accusations of elitism.

In closing, I play every day, as do Kuja and Mike. Beagle still destroys any other rev user without playing everyday, so it's pretty clear to me that none of the people you mentioned are "rusty".
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM

P.S.- Sorry for argument-jacking your thread, lix. Buttpats for the guide, and I agree that this should be under the "Guides" subforum. I'd also like to add that Heavy Armor is a quite viable perk for Biplane as well, but it takes some getting used to if you are a Loopy or Miranda player. Bombers and Splo's will find it much easier to acclimate to, however, and they may even like it more than Flexi, as it gives them health and handling similar to what they had in their old plane, but with a smaller, faster, harder-to-hit package.

Just my $0.02
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM

I posted the second one because it's rude to use another person's thread to argue in, and I was trying to get the discussion back on topic, which is the topic of using Biplane in ball, as seen in the title of the OP. If you wish to continue to berate me for no reason, you can PM me. Admins, feel free to remove any off-topic posts I made to clean this thread up.

The joke was in telling you to admit you were wrong, btw. You don't have to take every single word that's ever posted on the internet as being 100% serious.

EDIT : 700th Post!!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:47 PM

This thread is full of stars. Literally.

Edit : Or it was before sneaky post removal.

Last edited by Sunaku; 07-29-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:53 PM

I'm at a loss of words at this recent exchange. Perhaps someone can use their sharp wit and form a reply for me.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 PM

what the...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Considered is the best rev player in the game.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Considered is the best rev player in the game.
I will take that into consideration. *snickers at the pun*
Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 PM

sin wat u doin? lol and considered aint the best, wait, why are we talking about the best of the best on a page that was intended to be a guide?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 PM

Wow thanks Goose. I can't speak for that, but at the very least nobody has told me to change ships in ladder when I'm rev-ing.

Elixir, interesting endorsement of HC for ball. Personally I think recoilless does have a niche in ball. It's killing power (s+d) and relative speed (no recoil) make it suitable on the offensive end, swooping/killing pre-occupied heavy ships in one go. With flex, it's maneuverability makes it a worthy wing on the fast break. I will say that it's not often that a recoilless is needed in ball, but I do think it's not to be discounted entirely.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 3 View Post
sin wat u doin? lol and considered aint the best, wait, why are we talking about the best of the best on a page that was intended to be a guide?
You missed the joke. I was being unfunny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered View Post
Elixir, interesting endorsement of HC for ball. Personally I think recoilless does have a niche in ball. It's killing power (s+d) and relative speed (no recoil) make it suitable on the offensive end, swooping/killing pre-occupied heavy ships in one go. With flex, it's maneuverability makes it a worthy wing on the fast break. I will say that it's not often that a recoilless is needed in ball, but I do think it's not to be discounted entirely.
Elixir is trying to keep it out of new player's heads that recoilless will be ZOMG HELPFUL. While recoilless is far from useless, if you're new like this guide implies, you probably shouldn't be playing an advanced plane.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Recoilless is better if you're too drunk to aim.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller Cow View Post
Tracker is better if you're too drunk to aim.
Correct, Mr. Cow.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Location: IM ON A BOAT MOTHER****ER TAKE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT THE MOTHER****ING BOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
(to check if you are dead, hit "b". The seventh data point will say "alive: false" if you are, in fact, dead).
o thank you now i will be able to tell if i am dead
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 AM

move 2 guides plz this is an immaculate rookie introduction to the biplane
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Interesting how the Rubber hull perk is instantly dismissed in so many debates.
I don't know if people enjoy getting smashed by thermos all the time...

I do some damage to other teams on all game modes by stalling and on the way to a recovery fire the HC from below. Other planes don't chase all the way down because they can't touch the walls and I can just bounce off and fly away after a quick burst of the secondary gun.

-- HMS Failboat (SF) - 1023502th best Altitude player in the World.