Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Starting up ladder games - feature suggestion

Is it possible to have the server record players who want to play ladder? The idea is that ten people, at different times, can join an empty ladder server and express an interest in playing ladder (maybe implement a "/custom signin"). Then, when ten people have expressed interest, then the server itself will whisper all the players saying that ten people are available.

One problem is that the server would have to be capable of removing people from its list when they log off before ten people express interest. Therefore, I suspect this feature would probably have to be implemented from altitude auth server side, rather than from the ladder server.

Comments?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Doesn't sound feasible simply because ladder servers aren't always empty. You would either need to have many, many servers so that there were empty servers for the ten people to go to, or you would have to prevent people from joining ladder servers until all ten people had been notified.

Either way, it sounds like a bad process to implement. I like the idea of not having to sit in a server waiting for 2-3 people to join, though.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Welcome to the Altitude Community!

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but it seems like it would take a lot of work to implement - especially the authentication system. I really like this idea, I'm sure it could be modified a bit, but it sounds like a foundation for a good system. But I don't know how well it would work. It might be easier to call 9 other people then to have all of this code running around whispering in people's ears...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 PM

This has been thought of before. The primary problem is that servers themselves cannot whisper to players outside of the server. We'd have to implement a bot that sits in the server, and then everyone who wants to be able to receive whispers would need to friend the bot. Then since there's a friend limit, we'd need to have a bot for every 128 people.

It just gets way too complicated.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
This has been thought of before. The primary problem is that servers themselves cannot whisper to players outside of the server. We'd have to implement a bot that sits in the server, and then everyone who wants to be able to receive whispers would need to friend the bot. Then since there's a friend limit, we'd need to have a bot for every 128 people.
A feasible way is using an irc channel to notify, but many ladder players aren't familiar with irc and/or won't bother to use it. A little special purpose code on altitude's side(like allowing the ladder server to whisper players) could make this happen and be somewhat user friendly.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post

i just tried to friend bot 2 and i got denied hard
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
i just tried to friend bot 2 and i got denied hard
Bot 2 has been a bit unstable since it got on it's e-period. Give it a little time, it will come around.