Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 AM

Default Smurfing in ladder

Do we even need to talk about why this is retarded and should be banned.

Edit: let me make at least one point so my post isn't completely void of content. Ball'n argues that his 2nd name (balln goes pew pew) is correctly rated since hes played a fair amount of games on it by now. but thats his "im not trying" name and so its rated 800-900 points below his other name.... but its not fair because he plays on that name when hes drunk/tired/high and sometimes does play "bad", so that keeps his rating in check. but say he's playing against me, or matt, or someone who is threatening his ladder position... well obviously this gives him the oppurtunity to play us with a free 900 points and keep OUR ratings in check. Because even if i played fantastically, and played 600 points above my current rating, teams would still be unbalanced in balln's favor if he were to try to keep me from winning and just play "regular". Which is exactly what happened today.

Another obvious issue is that to have even gotten his 2nd name to its "accurate" rating, he has essentially robbed the rest of the ladder of 5 or 600 points. the ladder is a zero sum game -- to move up in rating, you must steal points from the other team. Having multiple instances of the same player helps to destroy the accuracy and shrinks the overall range of ladder ratings

Last edited by zz-; 11-07-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 AM

Yes we do need to talk about it.

The admins have already ruled that it wasn't banworthy.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 AM

Let me clarify that i want SMURFING to be banned, not the people currently doing it.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz- View Post
Because even if i played fantastically, and played 600 points above my current rating, teams would still be unbalanced in balln's favor if he were to try to keep me from winning and just play "regular". Which is exactly what happened today.
This never happened, your just butt sore you lost a game when I was on the other team.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 AM

Kuja has been doing this for a while and nobody has cared.

In the image of Beagle:
Old 11-07-2010, 02:06 AM

not true. i have always cared and think it is obviously wrong and stupid. nobody can argue the fact that it creates unfair games. just ban the known smurf accounts from the ladder servers. nobody suffers at all from this move, and the world becomes a better place.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 AM

I agree, but the admins don't seem to care enough to ban it. Actually, I think the issue is that they don't want to sort through all the accounts in an attempt to find smurfs instead of simply not caring.

... But you gotta admit the gif is awesome.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 AM

It did bring a certain je ne sais quois to the thread.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 AM

We've discussed it and there's a high probability smurf accounts will be banned for ladder season 2 if not earlier.

Also, I'm not 100% clear on the intricacies of the new rating system, but last I heard it will not be zero-sum, and may have additional features that discourage smurfing. Nobo knows more than me, but he refuses to tell me anything useful.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebone View Post
We've discussed it and there's a high probability smurf accounts will be banned for ladder season 2 if not earlier.

Also, I'm not 100% clear on the intricacies of the new rating system, but last I heard it will not be zero-sum, and may have additional features that discourage smurfing. Nobo knows more than me, but he refuses to tell me anything useful.
For what reason would they be banned? Its only unfair for a week or so until the alts account rating climbs, viborg is sitting around rank 20ish now.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Kuja, several things wrong with that.

#1, you're saying its only unfair until your rating gets accurate. That's not a great defense for smurfing, saying it only ruins a few DOZEN games. Per person who is doing it.

#2, because of exactly what happened yesterday. Balln out of nowhere plays at his full capacity (on his smurf name) in games where he wants to win and can ruin any game he wants to at any time.

http://www.altitudeladder.net/match....&mode=ball_6v6

Look at those teams. Balln, whether he admits it or not, tries much harder in games against me. Theres no way our team could possibly win that game with balln playing at full (2800ish) capacity with a free 900 rating points on his team. He ended that game with like 4 goals or so, and had a part in all 6. The game ended 6-4.

Anyway, i'm surprised any of you are trying to defend what would obviously be banned in any game with REAL competition. Just because altitude is a small game with most things being player-run doesn't mean you should do everything you can get away with. In the long run it just ruins competition and drives players who are more into other games (like me) away.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Lol zz, that still NEVER HAPPENED. Serious QQ going on.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:03 PM

To be honest I agree with zz. Ladder is supposed to be a competitive thing, so smurfing with a different ranking throws off the team balance and makes the experience less fun for everyone.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 PM

If they decide to ban it then so be it, I'm simply dispelling the lie zz keeps making up.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Hmm, I never thought about using smurfs to sabotage your competition. But then again, that is exactly the underhanded ploy that Kuja would use.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
If they decide to ban it then so be it, I'm simply dispelling the lie zz keeps making up.
Lies that you yourself admitted in-game are my favorites.
Anyway, on the general subject, Zz has pretty much said it all. It's a clear intent to ruin at will the competition and while I couldn't care less about the rating per se, it severely hinders the teams balancing the system is trying to achieve.
The only problem in making it a basic rule is the possible elusiveness of the smurfing which can make the hunting tricky. But it doesn't mean it shouldn't be dealt with when clear cases present themselves.

Last edited by Sunaku; 11-07-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Well let's break it down like this.

Pro's of smurfing:
-The people smurfing get their e-peen a little harder having 2 names in the top 50 instead of just one
-The people smurfing can relax a little?
-Karl and Lamster potentially make more $?

Con's of smurfing:
-Negatively effects balance of games until the proper rating is reached. (absolutely undeniable)
-Players on smurfs can potentially play worse or better to affect ratings of others without really affecting their own rating. (absolutely undeniable that it could potentially happen)
-People cannot see how they truly stand in the ladder. They aren't the 49th best player like it says, they are the 47th with two retarded smurfs chillin above them.
-They keep their rating at the level they were playing instead of the level they are playing. Player might be on a slump but their real account won't feel a thing.
-I'm sure there are others.

As we can all see, there is no real reason to NOT permaban them, and a few reasons to do so. I'm not saying ban kuja or {ball}'n, i'm only saying ban viborg and pew pew (and others im sure people know about)
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Don't see a problem in smurfing, why shouldn't people be able to play on whatever account they choose? Just treat the player as he just started playing ladder. Sure it's gonna imbalance teams for some time, but thats how climbing in ladder is done. One team is always imbalanced.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM

I paid for 2 accounts I have the right to play on whatever account I like.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ladder is a private server run by the community. They choose if you have the right or not.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok3N^ View Post
Ladder is a private server run by the community. They choose if you have the right or not.
There are also multiple people who play on the viborg account just fyi.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
What? You realize that just further negates your point, right? Having different people play on an account ensures that it will never settle at a ranking that represents the person playing at any time. As Woken said, you don't have any "right" to play in a private server just because you payed for the game. Didn't you make that exact argument when banning Fillichio or someone from Proleague recently?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
That... actually makes it worse.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 AM

I am just letting people know viborg is a shared account I use to let my personal friends play the game, none of which play in ladder but may in the future when they improve.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 AM

which is even more reason to NOT use it now. let them start with a clean slate. this 'argument' if u want to call it that is getting ridiculous. there is no reason to not ban known smurf accounts.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 AM

i think they are fine and amusing

stop being babies and go outside or something
Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Bring up my argument of training 2 different plane compositions - ergo sinstar trying to play non trick vs an account where sinstar plays trick
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM

My whale is pro and you know it CCN.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM

So people are really creating second accounts in order to defend their #1 spot on ladder? smh..
Old 11-08-2010, 01:31 PM

So your friend will have his first ladder game on a 2000 account?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
So your friend will have his first ladder game on a 2000 account?
I said I am not allowing him to ladder until he is ready.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM

On a side note, banning smurfs from ladder is one step from banning people using multiple perks/planes. I mean lets take Sin as an example, a pro trickster who is mediocre to bad at everything else. Him picking any other setup is going to misrepresent his ranking just as someone smurfing. Fascist advent? DUM DUM DUM

V
I hate that movie.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I think part of this issue could potentially be solved by having ladder rankings change over time. I don't know how many of you played World of Warcraft - but the system in there was that you had to play at least 10 games a week to get credit for it. In other words, if someone gets to their top spot and then leaves - they would be removed from the rankings until they played 10 games again. This is to prevent people from getting a great number of points and clouding up space.

Note: Let's say Kuja is at 2500 and decides not to play for a week. When he comes back his rating will still be at 2500. He just won't be listed in the actual rankings until 10 games a week have been played (or we could do like 5 games a week if people think 10 is too much).
Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 PM

10 games isn't too much

gogo
Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
On a side note, banning smurfs from ladder is one step from banning people using multiple perks/planes. I mean lets take Sin as an example, a pro trickster who is mediocre to bad at everything else. Him picking any other setup is going to misrepresent his ranking just as someone smurfing. Fascist advent? DUM DUM DUM

V
I hate that movie.
I knew you were a kind person. ^_^ The truth is "bad to godawful at everything else"
Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Main issue with smurfs is the ability to throw games. Which is against Ladder rules. So if someone is using a smurf account and they throw a game and we know who it is, both should be banned. If they're doing it for a different set up/ take others ranks down, it will be obvious, because they're trying. Otherwise I don't really see an issue with handing out bans to multiple accounts to hit the user in question.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teething View Post
Main issue with smurfs is the ability to throw games. Which is against Ladder rules. So if someone is using a smurf account and they throw a game and we know who it is, both should be banned. If they're doing it for a different set up/ take others ranks down, it will be obvious, because they're trying. Otherwise I don't really see an issue with handing out bans to multiple accounts to hit the user in question.
Oh yes, I agree completely. People doing stuff like this to undermine the system should be banned, even permad imo. But if people just want to rerank, learn a new plane I don't really see an issue. Also being first doesn't matter much, you wont get any money, any prize and your bragging rights will be to a small indie community lol
Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
Oh yes, I agree completely. People doing stuff like this to undermine the system should be banned, even permad imo. But if people just want to rerank, learn a new plane I don't really see an issue. Also being first doesn't matter much, you wont get any money, any prize and your bragging rights will be to a small indie community lol
That's still worth it to some people. I think it's ok to attempt to alter peoples ranks, that's the point of the rank system. Throwing games is against the rules already, just got to have people willing to track and figure out who's who
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM

So technically if i wanted to get an account where i just played laser and didnt have to cycle through every plane as my team needs i could do it? Without throwing games, just to see how the rating would be if I only played 1 plane instead of adapting, or do you have to keep the same playstyle also on the smurf.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 PM

This is a stupid discussion.

Use common sense people. Ladder exists so people can have a competitive outlet other than Sundays during leagues.

If your actions deliberately detract from the overall ladder experience, then what you do is in effect, bannable. Quit trying to find scummy ways to get around the rules just so you can get a leg up or for some added internet attention.

Don't use smurfs to rig games. Don't use smurfs to screw up balance. It's not that hard.