Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Learn to play the FULL GAME, and then maybe you won't lose so badly any more.
Thank you for elaborating, York, though I've not much experience with TBD ratings I take it they're somewhat similar (in range/value) as ball.

It was more my gripe with 6-5 loses than 6-0 loses.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Now look at Sinstar's 1656 rating. He plays a whore randa. Is he bad at what he does, god no. He is actually the best at what he does. Could he be more useful? Of course, he learned 4 more planes and learned to bomb run. Could he get his rating to 3000? Yup. Can he do it with his 1 plane set up? Nope.
While I agree with what you're saying, keep in mind that when I decided to retire from ladder, I didn't want to sit on my rank that I earned from (badly) bomb running if I wouldn't be playing anymore, so I started playing other planes and preforming about as well as you would expect me to do with them until I hit a rank outside of the T50.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
While I agree with what you're saying, keep in mind that when I decided to retire from ladder, I didn't want to sit on my rank that I earned from (badly) bomb running if I wouldn't be playing anymore, so I started playing other planes and preforming about as well as you would expect me to do with them until I hit a rank outside of the T50.
sorry for interruption but what is T50? :\ top 50?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 AM

sinnypants was #2 overall when he cared lol
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekn0 View Post
Thank you for elaborating, York, though I've not much experience with TBD ratings I take it they're somewhat similar (in range/value) as ball.

It was more my gripe with 6-5 loses than 6-0 loses.
Same difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
I said it with love, I just had to use you as an example, since you are the best at what you do, whore.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Same difference
Hmm, seems you didn't get it, nevermind.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
If a team gets a new player and only just loses 6 -5 you want to punish them more than a team who gets a new player and cannot even score one?
That's my question too.

I'm NOT pushing for a change to include final scores in the rankings.

Now that that's clearly out of the way, can someone explain to me (and Ribilla perhaps) on what is quoted above?

"A win is a win" <-- No I don't think so, ranking is like grading performance, which means it's not ALL or nothing. IMO ranking should take your "effort" into consideration. Or no? (Honest question really).

A 6-5 loss could mean a fluke last goal a "could have gone either way situation", but chances of 6 fluke goals in a 6-0 chance are a magnitude more improbable.

York said, ****ty plane composition is why they lose 6-0 and it has nothing to do with badly balancing teams... Maybe... but that still does not answer WHY should they not be penalized more for this? People who refuse to "play for the team" and being selfish with their setups and lose badly -should- lose more points...

Can someone explain why 6-5 losing teams lose as much points as a team losing 6-0 ?

I don't know if I'm being annoying, and I'm not doing this to piss off anyone, I'm really just curious and honestly want to know your reasoning behind this.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Now look at Sinstar's 1656 rating. He plays a whore randa. Is he bad at what he does, god no. He is actually the best at what he does. Could he be more useful? Of course, he learned 4 more planes and learned to bomb run. Could he get his rating to 3000? Yup. Can he do it with his 1 plane set up? Nope.

Learn to play the FULL GAME, and then maybe you won't lose so badly any more.
If sin stopped whoring and played the ideal way for ladder(in his words its "babying" his team) he'd be top 5. Knowing other planes help but you can absolutely be #1 playing only 1 plane.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 PM

If you're only going to gain or lose a significantly reduced portion of your ~25 rating that you usually get for a game, all of a sudden those 6-5 games become a lot less intense.

The all or nothing method allows a lot more rating variation which keeps rankings from stagnating too much. That adds to the fun, and it lets people get to their approximate rating faster.

Sometimes those 6-5 games aren't as close as they seem either. Last night we had a game where the other team went up 4-0 while our team struggled to find a good composition. The second we found the right composition we went on a 6-1 run and won the game.

If that game had been allowed to run for another 10 minutes we may have doubled the other teams score. Then again the other team may have restructured their composition and started to dominate us again. That's just one of those things that you can't really know. All you know is that someone has to win, and you have 6 goals to figure out what you have to do to get it right.

In the end, losing 25 rating isn't going to blow you out of the water.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
That's my question too.

I'm NOT pushing for a change to include final scores in the rankings.

Now that that's clearly out of the way, can someone explain to me (and Ribilla perhaps) on what is quoted above?

"A win is a win" <-- No I don't think so, ranking is like grading performance, which means it's not ALL or nothing. IMO ranking should take your "effort" into consideration. Or no? (Honest question really).

A 6-5 loss could mean a fluke last goal a "could have gone either way situation", but chances of 6 fluke goals in a 6-0 chance are a magnitude more improbable.

York said, ****ty plane composition is why they lose 6-0 and it has nothing to do with badly balancing teams... Maybe... but that still does not answer WHY should they not be penalized more for this? People who refuse to "play for the team" and being selfish with their setups and lose badly -should- lose more points...

Can someone explain why 6-5 losing teams lose as much points as a team losing 6-0 ?

I don't know if I'm being annoying, and I'm not doing this to piss off anyone, I'm really just curious and honestly want to know your reasoning behind this.
I was just making a point in response to someone's stupid post. I think that maybe there should be some discrimination between close games, but it's not a priority. The whole thing is far too messy to even contemplate before everything else is perfect. Further, plane composition is such an issue here we would have to factor it into every game, close or not, thus complicating everything further.

Something to think about, but let's not run before we can walk.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Call me for season 3 ladder when I'll have finished a final year mathematical modelling module in a few months time.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
If a team gets a new player and only just loses 6 -5 you want to punish them more than a team who gets a new player and cannot even score one?
They're not being punished more; both teams lose the same amount of points for a loss. At the end of the day, a win is a win, and a loss is a loss. The Steelers don't get half of a Super Bowl ring because they almost had a comeback win.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I don't think ratings should ever take in-game factors into consideration. Mostly because it will cause people to take actions that positively affect their ranking but don't necessarily positively affect their chance of winning.

[tangent]This is why I'm all for Nipple's idea of not showing player's scores so that people won't have as strong an incentive to ratio whore.[/tangent]

For instance, you might have the chance to bomb the opponent's base with a counter attack to win the game. However, knowing that they will bomb your base and you won't get as many points you might choose to defend instead. Basically, you are giving up the guaranteed win for a chance at a higher rank.

As for ball: Once a team is down 3-0 in a very even match-up they are unlikely to win. Therefore, they have an incentive to take big risks. Much like a hockey team that pulls their goalie. They don't care if they lose by a little or by a lot, but a goal that sends them to overtime would be huge. You could also liken this to an option that is out of the money. The more you increase volatility the more likely you are to get back into the money. The downside is irrelevant, because losing is losing. However, if ranking took into account the difference in score then people would have an incentive to "play it safe". Why? Because, big risks could just as easily cause you to go from 3-0 to 6-0 or from 3-0 to 5-6. So, your upside is small and your downside is large.

Does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
The second problem (the one I'd like to discuss now) is that we are taking ELO and forcing an adaption of it for team games. Notice how in the formula description above, nowhere in the entire thing is the concept of an individual player even mentioned. This is a reflection of the nature of how we are ranking things. Basically, the only way that we can test skill in Altitude is by gathering two teams, and then pitting them against each other. Consider each game to be a "test", and the output of this test is either "team1 wins" or "team2 wins". Now, if say, team1 wins, then this is a datapoint from which we can gather that team1 played better than team2 in this particular test (this game) and this test only. We would like to reflect this result in the ratings themselves so we decide that team1 should get some points and team2 should lose some points.

However, here's where it gets fuzzy: We decide that team1 as a whole has played better than team1's rating. Here we have defined team1's rating to be "the average of the players of team 1's ratings", but this is not necessarily true. Because of things like synergy, a team consisting of five players rated 2000 may not necessarily be just as good as another team consisting of five players rated 2000 (plane composition comes to mind here). How do we take a team composed of five individual player ratings and use that to form a composite "team rating"?

Furthermore, in our current system we assume that if team1 beat team2, which means that team1 played better than its aggregate rating, this means that each of team1's players played better than their individual ratings. We thus reward each player in team1 with equal amounts of points. This is also not necessarily true--it may be that players A, B, and C in team1 played better than their ratings and players D and E in team1 played worse than their ratings. Without looking into the actual in-game factors (individual kills/deaths, bomb hits, etc), is there a better way we can determine the distribution of points to the winner other than just "everybody gets the same"?
First, I know you said you don't want to discuss the implementation of K, so I won't. I will however give an idea for helping deal with newer players that has nothing to do with K. The idea is similar (or identical) to what you find on many chess sites: New players are un-ranked for their first X number of games. This allows the formation of teams by an autobalance algorithm that assumes the new player's ranking is wrong. I haven't yet thought about how that algorithm would look, but I wanted to toss the idea out there and see if it was even being considered.

Second, you asked if there was a better way to distribute points to the winners other than equally. I may be missing the point, because wouldn't K do this? Not everyone on the team will have the same number of games played, the same winning streak, etc. Therefore, they would all receive different changes in rank.

Third, you asked about composing a "team rank" based on individual ranks. This is the question that is the most interesting to me and I don't have an answer, just some thoughts. Currently you use an average which I think is flawed to some extent. For example: If you had a very good player ranked 2400 and a guy who was effectively useless ranked 0 against two so-so players ranked 1200, would the teams be even? I really doubt it. I think that 2 on 1 would be such a large advantage that it would over shadow the difference in skill. Thus, 2400 + 0 < 1200 + 1200. Perhaps an algorithm that took into account difference in skills. Sort of like an OLS. Thoughts?

Alternatively, is it really that important for the teams to be ranked evenly? Chess doesn't restrict the opponents to be the same skill level. If you were to allow for somewhat unbalanced games then it might more quickly show which players were ranked incorrectly.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage View Post
First, I know you said you don't want to discuss the implementation of K, so I won't. I will however give an idea for helping deal with newer players that has nothing to do with K. The idea is similar (or identical) to what you find on many chess sites: New players are un-ranked for their first X number of games. This allows the formation of teams by an autobalance algorithm that assumes the new player's ranking is wrong. I haven't yet thought about how that algorithm would look, but I wanted to toss the idea out there and see if it was even being considered.
This hasn't been thought out much yet, but let's explore your idea a bit further. If a new player is unranked for their first X number of games, how would they represented in the rating system (what number would be put into the ratings formula to generate the points to be distributed)? How would the autobalance algorithm take these players into account?

Quote:
Second, you asked if there was a better way to distribute points to the winners other than equally. I may be missing the point, because wouldn't K do this? Not everyone on the team will have the same number of games played, the same winning streak, etc. Therefore, they would all receive different changes in rank.
True, but I was more wondering how would the points be distributed pre-K. Though, pre-K is supposed to be a representation of the probability of winning, so changing the values of this probably shouldn't be done.

Quote:
Third, you asked about composing a "team rank" based on individual ranks. This is the question that is the most interesting to me and I don't have an answer, just some thoughts. Currently you use an average which I think is flawed to some extent. For example: If you had a very good player ranked 2400 and a guy who was effectively useless ranked 0 against two so-so players ranked 1200, would the teams be even? I really doubt it. I think that 2 on 1 would be such a large advantage that it would over shadow the difference in skill. Thus, 2400 + 0 < 1200 + 1200. Perhaps an algorithm that took into account difference in skills. Sort of like an OLS. Thoughts?
Yes, we were trying to come up with a better way to represent "team rank" from individual ranks besides just using averages when we were first writing this system in the first weeks of ladder. Eso polled several players asking them whether a 2400 1800 1800 1800 1200 team would beat an all-1800 team and tried to come up with a formula that included variance in the equation and not just averages. However there was such a wide variety of opinion as to whether a high-variance team would be better than a low variance team that we decided to just go with average. I'm not sure what OLS is but if you can come up with a good system for this let me know.

Quote:
Alternatively, is it really that important for the teams to be ranked evenly? Chess doesn't restrict the opponents to be the same skill level. If you were to allow for somewhat unbalanced games then it might more quickly show which players were ranked incorrectly.
No it is not important for teams to be ranked 100% evenly. The rating system should work with all varieties of matchups, the balancer only exists in order to make games roughly even (and thus more challenging and fun). This is indeed a problem I've been thinking about--currently, the highest ranked players are not necessarily the best players at altitude but are the best at being able to overcome the handicap of having the worst teammates. This is why you see an overrepresentation of bomb runners in the top tbd ranks and an overrepresentation of scorers in the top ball ranks (very few support players). I am considering loosening the balance criteria and opting for a simpler system in which the players are sorted by rating and then balancing the teams by 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12 vs 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Banned

I'll bet all of you 10 bucks that the new system, whatever you might come up with in this topic, will still be ****ty. It's just not gonna work and the qq will always ensue.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
This hasn't been thought out much yet, but let's explore your idea a bit further. If a new player is unranked for their first X number of games, how would they represented in the rating system (what number would be put into the ratings formula to generate the points to be distributed)? How would the autobalance algorithm take these players into account?
Like I said, I haven't though this out.

It would make sense to have their actual ranking start at 1500 and then adjust over the first X games as it does now. However, not be displayed on the ladder page and not be used in the balancing algorithm.

For the balancing algorithm, the first idea that pops into my head would be to assume they are the worst person playing and then pit them against the 2nd worst person in the server. For the actual numbers used in the algorithm, you could assign them the same ranking as the 2nd worst person in the server.

I think this would work well if there was a representative sample of players in the server. However, if everyone playing was 2000+ I guess this would be pretty ****ty.

I'll think about it more and get back to you. If anyone else has any thoughts please feel free to jump in.

Quote:
True, but I was more wondering how would the points be distributed pre-K. Though, pre-K is supposed to be a representation of the probability of winning, so changing the values of this probably shouldn't be done.
Okie doke. I don't think you should change the pre-K values, so I have nothing to add here.

Quote:
Yes, we were trying to come up with a better way to represent "team rank" from individual ranks besides just using averages when we were first writing this system in the first weeks of ladder. Eso polled several players asking them whether a 2400 1800 1800 1800 1200 team would beat an all-1800 team and tried to come up with a formula that included variance in the equation and not just averages. However there was such a wide variety of opinion as to whether a high-variance team would be better than a low variance team that we decided to just go with average. I'm not sure what OLS is but if you can come up with a good system for this let me know.
Interesting.

OLS = Ordinary Least Squares, which I admit was a pretty terrible way to have described what I was thinking about. I was thinking of basically the same thing that Eso was: variance. Sort of. The problem with variance is that VAR(1200,1800,1800,1800,1800) = VAR(2400,1800,1800,1800,1800) because variance is the squared deviation from the mean. Instead, it would have to be something like (x[i] - avg(x))*abs(x[i] - avg(x)). So, as for Eso's question, I think variance is bad and I would have said that the all-1800 team would have won more often. However, it doesn't really matter, because whether you think high-variance is good or bad, if the teams have the same "variance", as I wrote it above, your preference is irrelevant.

I wrote a Monte Carlo simulation to see what would happen if you created teams by minimizing the difference in "variance". On average, the difference in average rankings was roughly 94. And, in 10,000 simulations, the maximum difference in average rankings was roughly 400.

If you're curious I can send you the Excel file.

Quote:
No it is not important for teams to be ranked 100% evenly. The rating system should work with all varieties of matchups, the balancer only exists in order to make games roughly even (and thus more challenging and fun). This is indeed a problem I've been thinking about--currently, the highest ranked players are not necessarily the best players at altitude but are the best at being able to overcome the handicap of having the worst teammates. This is why you see an overrepresentation of bomb runners in the top tbd ranks and an overrepresentation of scorers in the top ball ranks (very few support players). I am considering loosening the balance criteria and opting for a simpler system in which the players are sorted by rating and then balancing the teams by 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12 vs 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11.
I was actually thinking about what would happen if match-ups were random.

Obviously there would be games that were just blowouts. However, in those games player's ranks wouldn't increase or decrease much, but should the underdog pulled off a win then ranks would change by a lot. I can see some benefits to this, but the costs probably outweigh the gains. So, just loosening the criteria is probably a better first step. I don't know if you've run any tests to see how much your suggested method might change the difference in team averages, but I'd like to see how it compares to the method I proposed above.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I am considering loosening the balance criteria and opting for a simpler system in which the players are sorted by rating and then balancing the teams by 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12 vs 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11.
I've toyed with this idea myself since you posted the balancing code.

It works pretty well, though you might want to add some extra code something like:

If avrg.team1 > avrg.team2 do;
....player5 -> team2;
....player6 -> team1;
else;

This is because sometimes ranking this way comes with a difference of + or - in avrg rating. difference.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
I'll bet all of you 10 bucks that the new system, whatever you might come up with in this topic, will still be ****ty. It's just not gonna work and the qq will always ensue.
this...current system is great except when one team has an absolute **** player
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheWalls View Post
I've toyed with this idea myself since you posted the balancing code.

It works pretty well, though you might want to add some extra code something like:

If avrg.team1 > avrg.team2 do;
....player5 -> team2;
....player6 -> team1;
else;

This is because sometimes ranking this way comes with a difference of + or - in avrg rating. difference.

What do you mean? Allowing a difference of average rating to be greater than absolute zero is the entire point of switching the balancing system to the one I proposed. If you wanted to minimize the average rating difference then you'd just have the system I have already.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
this...current system is great except when one team has an absolute **** player
There is no system that is going to be able to compensate for someone so bad that a match essentially becomes 4v5/5v6 and let anyone who wants to play ladder be able to play.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM

VipMattMan and vintage, thanks a lot for the explanation as to why 6-5 or 6-0 losses are to be viewed equally.

I can now see your argument and reasoning for having this, thanks. I think then it is correct, but still the frustration of losing 6-5 in a 20-minute match lives on
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM

asdfghijkñl

Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Duck Duck Pwn

We could provide a posthumous ranking in awarding points after the fact when trying to balance inexperienced players. After X amount of games, when we have a better idea of the rank of the inexperienced player, we can award points according to what his rank really was. Games will be unbalanced, but they already were unbalanced. This just would result in teams winning less points if they were more heavily favored versus winning more if they were more favored.

However, I am not pushing for this in general, as over time, players get better. Winning with a 1200 player today, but a month later seeing them become a 3200 player shouldn't have an effect on your points earned. But I think it would make some amount of sense for points, when dealing with newer players, to be handled after the fact. If we do it this way, the problems that we are faced with seem to be the following.

a. What time X would we use?
b. How would we decide to place this new player after a set number of games?
c. How do we program ladder to check after x games what this person's ranking is?
d. What if this person stops playing ladder and cannot be accurately modeled?

a is largely arbitrary, b I provide food for thought below, c is a programming issue that I can't deal with, and d is a problem already inherent in ladder.

I think a possible solution is to assume that new players in ladder are various differing ranks between, say, 500-1500 (or perhaps 500-2500 for the sake of a 1500 medium, although massive butthurt will ensue if a noob gets 2500), and then after a set number of games to award them a ranking that seems in-line with their performance. Perhaps give games where the first 3 games are a 1500 game, a 2000 ; 1000 game, a 2250/1750 ; 1250/750 game, etc. for as many X iterations necessary, depending on previous wins and losses. After their base rank has been set, then points can be awarded. It's not the end of the world, considering that ladder is already programmed to give more or less points in the case of more uneven games.

Sure, it's flawed, especially if this player wins their first game and probably shouldn't have. But it's not a problem that is either likely due to this player's likely contribution, nor something that ladder doesn't see anyway (overrated players winning).

In the case that this person just stops playing ladder, their points value can either be assumed to be whatever point level ladder assumed them to be at. While imperfect, especially if this player wins their first game and throws everything for a loop, it would still be fairly effective, I think. It may be unfair to base a ladder ranking largely based on the first game, so perhaps the system i provided is not the ideal one, but I feel that the assumption of differing values could be effective in trying to place their point in a ladder.

Thoughts/criticisms/etc are appreciated.

Last edited by Duck Duck Pwn; 02-09-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure how this would work, but how about something like this:

Every player new to ladder would receive a "provisional" rank that is not initially displayed on the master ranking list (Yahoo has a similar method). For balancing purposes, these provisional players would receive a rating of X (you could adjust X based on what you think the average newcomer's skill is about - probably somewhere in the 1000-1500 range). Although they technically have this rating, they are still not displayed on the ranking list until they complete a certain number of games (say 20). For the time that each player is ranked as "provisional," each team playing in the same match with them would earn fewer points for a win and lose fewer points for a loss - hopefully taking into account the fact that the player is not yet correctly rated. However, the "provisional" player's rating would fluctuate greatly during this time. Using whatever method you deem appropriate (larger rating fluctuations, variable uncertainty for skill, etc.) this period would be the time in which the player's rating would be expected to settle at its correct value. By the time the player completed 20-30 games, a good system would have their rating figured about right - they could then be automatically added to the ranking list and their "provisional" status removed. As the player nears the end of their provisional status, their games should start affecting their rating less (reflecting the settling of their ranking) and their teammates rating more, until they both arrive at the normal +/-25 again.

Obviously we'd still need to come up with something that makes the new players' scores converge to their true values quicker than they do currently. However, this system might help to mitigate the huge gameplay differences that we currently experience when new players join ladder. If a new player is assumed to not have reached their definite rank and the system awards points to reflect this fact, they should be able to reach their true rating pretty quickly without hugely affecting those who have already settled.

I'd still recommend some sort of rating deflation for players who haven't participated in ladder for a while. That should prevent them from sitting on a high rank or leaving the game and coming back months later extraordinarily overrated. Maybe if someone's rating falls too much as a result of inactivity they could be automatically reassigned to the "provisional" class, so that when they return the system will take into account that their rating is probably much different since they last played and will need some time to readjust without affecting others? You could give them the benefit of the doubt and allow their "provisional" rating to begin at the same value as their former one.

Hope that made sense - if I didn't make myself clear let me know and I can try to explain better. I'll add a couple of example rating graphs later for how I envision this would work to better support the idea.

Last edited by Pieface; 02-09-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

For clarification, this is what I meant (with pictures):

New players should have to play a certain number of games before they are assumed to be correctly rated. When they are still in their "provisional" state, they should not be ranked on the ladder website in the normal category and anyone playing in a game with them should not be able to win/lose as many points. After a certain point, the "provisional" status should be removed and normal endgame behavior can continue.

It would have to be decided whether the provisional status should be removed after a fixed number of games or when the player's rating has stopped fluctuating as rapidly. I personally prefer the latter, as it allows for the possibility that it would take more than a specified number of games to achieve the general range in which you should be located. To this end, I'd recommend scaling down the amount your rating can fluctuate with the number of games you play during "provisional" status and meanwhile scaling back up the amount of points correctly rated players have at stake. Eventually, both numbers should converge to 25 and the "provisional" status should be removed. At this point, the player is assumed to be in the correct range of scores and can be ranked on the website without too much consequence.

I ran some example numbers to get a visual representation of what I'm suggesting. I assumed all players starting at a correctly placed rating of 1800, with the newcomer starting at 1500. You can see that for the first few games the new player's score fluctuates wildly while the others' scores only change a small amount. As more games are played and the new player's score is assumed to be getting slightly more accurate, his rating should change less in amount and the others should return to winning or losing similar amounts to before.

Here's what my predicted rating behavior is for an underrated player:

And an overrated player:

Note that I assume the player gets the same team for each game, which obviously won't be the case. If the teams are composed differently, I expect the rating shift of correctly rated players to be affected even less while the "provisional" one's rating range is being located by the system. Also remember that this is only a proposed solution for addressing the problem of newcomers to ladder and does not take into account what should happen after everyone's correctly placed.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 AM

Hmmm, interesting Pie face!.
I proposed something similar to what you are saying (even to the same amount of numbers for a 1st approach to the rating: 20 games, at double rate that others player K.
So if "regular" player is getting 25 points per match, newcomers should get 50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITW
Only that slight change in the formula, would stabilize the ranking at first.

On another matters its to decide on the K factor.
I suggested that everyone's first 20 games be calculated with a high K.
¿Why? The rating becomes more accurate as long as you keep playing. The more data entry you feed, the better it works.
This is was many were complaining for: you can't climb the leader board.
The first matches will make you loose/win a lot of points, thus ensuring a rough first approach to your rating.
After that the K should we lowered gradually to a value (and this is just criteria) to reflect skill improvement.
And, even make K slightly diminish as you play more and more games. Toying with that idea I sketched some rough numbers:

I've tryed other formulas, but a K' variable as:
K' = variable K
K = constant K (the current one is 50)
K' = (0.999^x)*K
x= amount of games, seems to be a good one.
For 500 games, you win/loss 60% from the original.
For 693 games, you win/loss 50% from the original.
After that I think that keeping K' = 0.5K would be reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITW
f you want to rates being "guessed" faster make the K variable.
There many ways, but the principle ideas would be:

First X amount of games K is incredible huge. So you may gain/loose 100 points.

Make K gradually smaller as you rank up.
For example (just a rough approximation):

K' = (1/1.001^x)*K . X being amount of games

Example:

After 400~600 games played I would pick a constant K' = K / 2 (instead of 24 points, you only gain/loose 12)
On the good side, people on the high ranks won't be highly influenced if they keep loosing because autobalance, pairs them up with all 1000 rated people.
On the bad side, after 700 games you only gain/loss 12 points, making it harder to climb up/down the board.
I mean, if a player gets suddenly better because a patch, or his training, it won't be preceived, unless we add the "inflated K due to streaks".

I agree changing the K due to streaks. (add a factor which increases as streaks)
ie: K' = 1.2^(n-1) * K
C factor being 1.2^(n-1)
being n the consecutive games won lost.
For 2 games: K' = 1.2*K (a 20% increase)
For 3 games: K' = 1.44*K (a 44% increase)
For 10 games: K' = 5.15*K ( 500% increase)

A player who wins 5 games in rows currently only adds:
5*24 = 120 points

Using C factor:
1st: 24 (C = 1)
2nd: 29 (C = 1.2)
3rd: 35 (C =1.44)
4th: 41 (C =1.73)
5th: 50 (C= 2.5)
total: 179 points (120 base from before, plus a 59 bonus for streak)

Same happens the other way, the more you loose consecutively, the faster you lower on the ranking.