Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Default How Does lag affect aiming

Dear all,

I need to improve my game,
thus I ask for your assistance to figure out exactly how this game handles lag.

I know in movement we are slightly behind where our plane is but what with shooting?

Is shooting done ping after we see it on our screen, such that aiming infront of the enemy such that it will miss on your screen, but counting lag hit on the servers?

Regards
CN!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Hit detection is client side, meaning as long as it hits on the firer's screen, its counted as a hit. This is why if you're playing againts someone with high ping or you yourself have high ping, you'll notice projectiles often seem to damage you without hitting you on your screen.

For further clarification, see http://vapor.nimblygames.com/forums/...read.php?t=589
Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM

In that thread, be sure to take note of skywalker's second comment for high level play. Proper dick management is essential.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:23 PM

i'd assume walls in shields don't work until it gets to server though?

btw thanks guys
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Oh, this kid's good.

Yep - because a shield is reacting to projectiles fired from a different player, so those are only registering as having 'hit' the shield if they hit on that player's screen.

Same deal with the walls, its up to the player you're trying to trap to hit the wall, nothing to do with his position on your screen. So if you have a guy right behind you and try to wall him with ping, it won't get him.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
i'd assume walls in shields don't work until it gets to server though?

btw thanks guys
If you see it, it's going to affect you.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 AM

you have to account for lag when using shields or walls. You need to remember that the projectiles on your screen is NOT where the projectile is for the shooter. Its always slightly or much ahead. There was so many times where I would use a wall to save my self from incomming fire only to die anyways because it was "too late"