Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Guides Altitude strategy guides.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Ok I will try it thx
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Nice read, I'm an average Explodet user; I'll put these tips to good use.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 AM

Basically speaking whales rule and anything else is just pish.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 AM

Funnnnnn.

It'll definately help, nice job. Though I'm an average Remote Miner, I think I prefer Thermobarics.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:36 AM

Great guide! When I first tried the Explodet I hated it. It seemed like it was flying through stall-inducing honey and had hard to use weapons but I've grown to see it in a different light and this guide has helped with that. I'm still bad at the whale, but hey, things don't change overnight .
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM

In my opinion,explodet is the worst plane.i have 3 reasons
1.Horrible weapons
2.All perks suck on it
3.No manuverability/speed

sorry guys but its not the best
Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofna01 View Post
In my opinion,explodet is the worst plane.i have 3 reasons
1.Horrible weapons You clearly have never been hit by a thermo before.
2.All perks suck on it I've stared at this for 3 minutes and still can't express how stupid that was in words.
3.No manuverability/speed Same as above

sorry guys but its not the best
Bolded comments.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to GMAC Send a message via MSN to GMAC Send a message via Skype™ to GMAC

I started with this guide when I started whaling If you can get the hang of the perks, it's a really fun plane to fly.

It might be worth mentioning that I prefer to use different perks for different games though. Thermo/Repair/Turbo is awesome for holding a goal in Ball. You can really annoy loopies who get shot with a thermo as they shoot, sending their ball way off target.

I use Remote/Repair/Turbo for TBD, though I should really be using the armour because of having the base there. I just don't like going back and forth all the time.

With remotes, you can chuck a mine in one choke point while you cover another. The director rockets are excellent at stopping bomb carriers in their tracks too, if you time them right. One explosion on the front of the nose slows a heavy right down and can send lighter planes into a stall. At this point, they get ganged by the rest of your team or panic and drop

Just a few thoughts ^_^
Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 AM

One thing I feel I ought to point out is that there's a very slight activation time on the remote mine before you can detonate it, giving enemy planes a small window during which they can pass harmlessly over your mine. In situations where you're right on top of another plane, or you hit an enemy with a rocket and then turn around to face away from them, choosing regular mines over remote mines can mean the difference between a graze and a kill.

One thing I find myself doing with relative frequency is hitting a plane with a rocket and then, as I pass through them, dropping a mine right on top of them, which not only hits them with the full force of the mine but also gives you a nice speed boost to get you away from them, if they're still alive.

It might not be enough to sway some people's decisions on whether to take remote mines or director/thermo, but it's something to take into consideration.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404notfound View Post
One thing I feel I ought to point out is that there's a very slight activation time on the remote mine before you can detonate it, giving enemy planes a small window during which they can pass harmlessly over your mine. In situations where you're right on top of another plane, or you hit an enemy with a rocket and then turn around to face away from them, choosing regular mines over remote mines can mean the difference between a graze and a kill.

One thing I find myself doing with relative frequency is hitting a plane with a rocket and then, as I pass through them, dropping a mine right on top of them, which not only hits them with the full force of the mine but also gives you a nice speed boost to get you away from them, if they're still alive.

It might not be enough to sway some people's decisions on whether to take remote mines or director/thermo, but it's something to take into consideration.
^^ Good points.

Remote mine is probably the worst option to choose as a explodet plane right now, mainly due to that the mines take a long time for you to be able to explode them after you eject them, and that the mines aren't collidable. This constantly leads to smaller planes getting on your tail and have no real way of shaking them off. With thermobarics and director you can simply point your rear towards them and plant a mine on their face which is very useful. Remote mine now has no real strong points apart from the ability to leave a mine at a chokepoint. Its even more useless in ball mode.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM

It's just more strategic now, sure you get raped here and there but with good mine placement you can minimise that
Old 04-04-2010, 06:58 AM

if you can use remote well, it is OP.

if you cant, it isnt OP.

thermo is a lot less controlled. how much you spin them, how and when you mines hit them, its all more or less up to the game and the player who you are shooting at.

remote is completely controlled, so i think i stand with my statement

also, remote mine not being collidable is a GREAT advantage and boost for explo..when you have a team rushing towards base, you always have your teammates run in first..they fly thru, and you stop the nuker right before he passes your mine, stalling their whole push. its a great strategy.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks for making this guide. Pretty bad at explodets right now, this will help alot.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10sfan View Post
Thanks for making this guide. Pretty bad at explodets right now, this will help alot.
Just a heads up but remote mine has been radically changed since the time of the writing of this guide and portions of the information are no longer applicable.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matattack View Post
thermo is a lot less controlled. how much you spin them, how and when you mines hit them, its all more or less up to the game and the player who you are shooting at.
how much spin can be controlled very accurately.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTiger View Post
how much spin can be controlled very accurately.
Uhhhh am I missing something?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Uhhhh am I missing something?
maybe

yes i'm saying you can control thermo spin just as much as you control director effect (boost, stop, bang on the wall) on enemy plane.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
maybe

yes i'm saying you can control thermo spin just as much as you control director effect (boost, stop, bang on the wall) on enemy plane.
Might I ask how
Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Might I ask how
lol. of all people.
cmon kuja.

I'm sure you do it, but maybe you haven't analyzed it yet.
Amount of turn is related to the following:
- plane type
- Location of thermo blowing up in relation to the nose of the plane
- Speed of the plane
- distance from the center point of the plane
- Plane turning angle at the moment you blow up thermo

Now, consider a loopy going at avg speed, not turning
- blow it up directly above the loopy, and it turns approx 45~50 degrees up.
- blow it up above+behind (toward the tail) and it turns approx 90 degrees up.
- same for below
*distanced about 1/2 plane length away from the center of the plane.

Now consider a loopy going at avg speed, turning at the moment you blowing up thermo.
- Blow it up in the same direction of the turn, and you make it turn up to 135 degrees or more if not corrected fast. Doing this makes the plane turn faster than the max-turn-rate and thus very deadly.
- Blow it up in the opposing direction of the turn and it slows/stops the turn.
- similar to above, the effect is stronger if you blow it up toward the tail of the plane, further toward the tail the stronger the turn.

I'm sure you do it all the time. consider a bomb runner going straight towards your base about quarter screen away ( consider cave/grotto/heights middle route) and you somehow can't block but need to stop the bomb runner.
- blowing thermo directly above the plane makes it arc up, and if bomb released, will probably still land on the base.
- blowing thermo above+behind the plane makes it turn up 90 degrees. and might cause bomb to lob directly upwards if released late.
- blowing thermo below the plane, makes it arc down and will probably make the plane get off course immediately. Thus the preferred choice (if not directly above your base already).
- close to the plane, and you do more damage for the kill.
- further from the plane( such as below + tail ) will make it turn more but less damage.
so weigh out if you want to kill, or just make it miss and decide where to blow your thermo.

once you know thermo enough, its easy to lead people into walls, or make a plane miss their aim on you etc etc. (accurately i must add)

srsly, the thermo isn't programmed with a random angle generator!!
Its programmed with an algorithm that will calculate the angle of turn. No random factor here.

*phew that was hard to explain.

Last edited by SkyTiger; 06-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM

in other words, ur kinda guessing and hoping, based on where the plane is, what speed its going, and when u detonate it...
lol xD
in some cases like ball, when most of many loopies are going 100000 mph, i guess u can expect a rough turn, but i believe in tbd, when everyone seems to have more self control it becomes difficult to judge where and how people will turn, not to mention the intention behind the turn as ur firing. i guess if u really are capable of judging their speed as u fire, and their movement before u fire, and their plane type, and whats around them, and if they have items or not, then maybe u can control the thermo.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
lol. of all people.
cmon kuja.

I'm sure you do it, but maybe you haven't analyzed it yet.
Amount of turn is related to the following:
- plane type
- Location of thermo blowing up in relation to the nose of the plane
- Speed of the plane
- distance from the center point of the plane
- Plane turning angle at the moment you blow up thermo

Now, consider a loopy going at avg speed, not turning
- blow it up directly above the loopy, and it turns approx 45~50 degrees up.
- blow it up above+behind (toward the tail) and it turns approx 90 degrees up.
- same for below

Now consider a loopy going at avg speed, turning at the moment you blowing up thermo.
- Blow it up in the same direction of the turn, and you make it turn up to 135 degrees or more if not corrected fast. Doing this makes the plane turn faster than the max-turn-rate and thus very deadly.
- Blow it up in the opposing direction of the turn and it slows/stops the turn.
- similar to above, the effect is stronger if you blow it up toward the tail of the plane, further toward the tail the stronger the turn.

I'm sure you do it all the time. consider a bomb runner going straight towards your base about quarter screen away ( consider cave/grotto/heights middle route) and you somehow can't block but need to stop the bomb runner.
- blowing thermo directly above the plane makes it arc up, and if bomb released, will probably still land on the base.
- blowing thermo above+behind the plane makes it turn up 90 degrees. and might cause bomb to lob directly upwards if released late.
- blowing thermo below the plane, makes it arc down and will probably make the plane get off course immediately. Thus the preferred choice (if not directly above your base already).
- close to the plane, and you do more damage for the kill.
- further from the plane( such as below + tail ) will make it turn more but less damage.
so weigh out if you want to kill, or just make it miss and decide where to blow your thermo.

once you know thermo enough, its easy to lead people into walls, or make a plane miss their aim on you etc etc. (accurately i must add)

srsly, the thermo isn't programmed with a random angle generator!!
Its programmed with an algorithm that will calculate the angle of turn. No random factor here.

*phew that was hard to explain.
Ah I did do this to some degree already however I was unaware of the details, very much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

yea,... as i was teling kuja in game, these figures are my own estimates.
I retested it just a while ago to see if the angles match up, and its pretty close i must say.

matattack,
I don't have to go into the details, but I am sure there are many other better players than me that would agree that you can judge another plane's actions and even intentions quite accurately. Ask any good time anchors. Predicting enemy movement and when they fire would have to be second nature.

Anyway, I was just clarifying the point that you can control it just as much as director, but its just not as obvious as the director on how it works.
I hope by going into a lil detail, it can serve as a pointer to those who haven't already realized the different variables involved in the amount of spin.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM

thanks i didnt know hitting a plane above/under the tail twisted it more than hitting it above/under its nose. very useful.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 PM

the plane's nose will turn to the centre of the explosion, like tiger said, its just a matter of distance and placement how to move planes, i like it tiger
Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM

hah. i'm humbled to be giving pointers to the likes of u guys.
Since i'm posting and you guys are reading,..

Wolfie (I assume is the same players as Wofl'jmax now) was the first good player I played with when I downloaded demo. If it wasn't for seeing how big the difference can be between a good player and simply spamming weapons, i wouldn't have thought altitude had much depth.

Kuja on the other hand frustrates the hell out of me with her thermo every damn time i play on the same server as she. Although it has only been a handful of times that I played with kuja, I practically imitate her fighting stance when i started off with explo.
I am still amazed by her skill and how aggressive her stance is with explo.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Duck Duck Pwn

Quote:
Kuja on the other hand frustrates the hell out of me with her thermo every damn time i play on the same server as she
no comment

on-topic, I do find the recent hints on thermo to be quite helpful, since I honestly didnt really know how to use it. Thanks for that.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 PM

Great job with the article! I am so bad with the explodet, so I hope this article will help. It is sure thorough enough! Congratz!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM

i knew how speed affected planes with thermo, but not angles and locations like you have described. This is very cool and interesting, i will be more aware of this from now on, thanx skytiger! I always just assumed you want to blow up the thermo as close as possible to the center of the enemy plane to get max damage lol
Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Reverse Thruster: Gives you the ability to fly backwards. I’ve always found reverse thrust to be a waste of a perk. I’d rather be able to kill people more efficiently than be able to fly backwards, and since explodet has the ability to escape stall death with mines reverse thrust seems less useful. Note that your mines and rockets act strangely while reversing. If you really want to fly backwards use this perk.
Mine hopping takes energy and damages you slightly, reverse (these days) takes basically 0 energy and doesn't damage you.

Also:

~ Allows you to easily choke up small, tight areas with many mines in ways non-reversers can't.
~ Allows you to easily rain down rocket death to those below you. Valuable for defense on pushes from below on maps like middleground and mayhem.
~ Allows you to do a full retreat while firing projectiles forward, since fatty rockets constantly accelerate and quickly get over your backwards momentum.
~ Using reverse allows you to escape far more situations than just stall death.
~ Bombs are much easier to block with reverse fatty.
~ Makes it much easier to respond to someone bomb-rushing your base, even if you're a decent distance away.

Reverse-rocket quirkiness is very awkward and hard to come to terms with, but like most other skills in alty it will eventually become like second nature to you if you practice it enough. I don't consider myself as having come anywhere close to 'mastering' this, but on many occasions I can fire a rocket off while doing a 360-reverse-loop, have the rocket curve in a weird angle, and have it smack right into the nose of a bomb carrier who wasn't even on the screen when I started dancing about. What's important to grasp is that even though the rocket goes through an initial curve or whatnot, the acceleration eventually makes it go in a straight line, even if the rocket is pointing in an odd direction; I've often had rockets pointing at a 45-deg angle move along the horizontal plane. These days I kind of feel like using reverse-spin-rockets is like throwing a ball and chain, except the ball is a ... rocket? It's hard to explain.

All in all, though, I'd have to agree with the sentiment that reverse on a fatty is more defensive in nature than it is offensive.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM

I know this is kind of an exploit but its a useful explodet trick. Mineboost off the ceilings on maps with no roof such as fallout. It provides an easy way of speeding to the other side of the map quickly. Ezbombrunnings.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana View Post
I know this is kind of an exploit but its a useful explodet trick. Mineboost off the ceilings on maps with no roof such as fallout. It provides an easy way of speeding to the other side of the map quickly. Ezbombrunnings.
this is usually done with remote, but can be used with director and thermo.
Btw : banana love your cat
Old 06-27-2016, 04:00 AM

I have a question
when using thermo, do the mines also twist u towards the explosion or do the mines for the 3 red perks (director, thermobarics and remote mine) have the same usual knock-back effect despite (didn't know what word was appropriate) the type of rocket u have?

basically do thermo mines also twist you like thermo rockets or they knock you back like director and remote mines?????

Sorry my pick of words isn't 100% accurate
Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow View Post
I have a question
when using thermo, do the mines also twist u towards the explosion or do the mines for the 3 red perks (director, thermobarics and remote mine) have the same usual knock-back effect despite (didn't know what word was appropriate) the type of rocket u have?

basically do thermo mines also twist you like thermo rockets or they knock you back like director and remote mines?????

Sorry my pick of words isn't 100% accurate
wat

Ok Thermobaric mines behave exactly the same as Director mines. They do not twist you at all, only stall / push you in a direction.
Remote Mine mines behave a bit differently:

1. Remote Mines are not AI guided, they do not follow enemy players when in close range.

2. Remote Mines have a longer detonation time than Thermo/Director missiles. I don't know the exact number for Thermo/Director - around 4 seconds(?) for Thermo/Director and 8 seconds for Remote Mine.

3. Remote Mines have a larger knock back explosion, more damage, and more knock back force than Thermo/Director mines.

4. A Remote Mine explodet can only have one mine in the air at a time.

5. Enemy players cannot fly "into" Remote Mines to cause them to detonate, they are only detonated after 8 seconds or when the explodet player decides.

edit:

6. Remote Mines are ejected further out from the explodet than Thermo/Director mines.

Last edited by XX1; 06-27-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
2. Remote Mines have a longer detonation time than Thermo/Director missiles. I don't know the exact number for Thermo/Director - around 4 seconds(?) for Thermo/Director and 8 seconds for Remote Mine.
I was curious about the exact numbers so I tested it: 5 seconds for Director/Thermo, 9 seconds for Remote.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 PM

3. Doesnt the knockback also depend on how far away you are from the mine?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters Ark View Post
I was curious about the exact numbers so I tested it: 5 seconds for Director/Thermo, 9 seconds for Remote.
Wanna update the wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice View Post
3. Doesnt the knockback also depend on how far away you are from the mine?
Yes, that is true for all mines. The closer you are, the more force/damage you receive and vice versa. Remote Mines still have a larger blast radius, damage, and knock back.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 PM

Transferred to Steam on 5/10/17