Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to NfoMonkey

i personally started out hatin MAyhem ( i have an inherent hate for skilled miranda players what really improved the hate for the map) but its slowly growing on me and is actually pretty fun once you get used to gettin shot by lazor balls or running into mines.

Last edited by NfoMonkey; 04-21-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Default Map JPEGs

This is somewhat of an odd question, but I noticed that Maimer has posted JPEGs of his maps, and I was wondering if it was possible to get JPEGs of other maps like Hills and such. What I'm essentially asking is, is there something I can do to go hunt/extract the files in the game files/map editor or can I somehow take a screenshot of the entire map at once? Or, did Maimer have to do some kind of extra photo editing to get his map to come out in a JPEG? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pH1 View Post
This is somewhat of an odd question, but I noticed that Maimer has posted JPEGs of his maps, and I was wondering if it was possible to get JPEGs of other maps like Hills and such. What I'm essentially asking is, is there something I can do to go hunt/extract the files in the game files/map editor or can I somehow take a screenshot of the entire map at once? Or, did Maimer have to do some kind of extra photo editing to get his map to come out in a JPEG? Thanks!
It sounds like you are asking two types of questions. I will answer both of what I think your questions are.

First, to get a screenshot of the map I merely zoom out in the editor when I am finished the map so that the entire map is in view. I then take a screen shot and crop out everything else. However, the JPEGs are not full size. Meaning they aren't going to be at a resolution like you play in a game. The size that you see them is the size that I take the screenshot.

Second, if you want to know how to extract the files that make up the actual maps that is easy. Just open any of the altx files in the editor. Once you have done that just do a "save as..." and name it whatever you want. All the files that make up the map such as the objects, background, etc will all be inside the folder that you just saved it as. So for example, if you opened the map tbd_thecore in the editor and then went to "save as..." and let's say you named it tbd_ph1. There will be a folder inside the Altitude/Editor/ directory named tbd_ph1. Inside that folder will be another folder named images of which all the game images will be inside.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Map JPEGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
It sounds like you are asking two types of questions. I will answer both of what I think your questions are.

First, to get a screenshot of the map I merely zoom out in the editor when I am finished the map so that the entire map is in view. I then take a screen shot and crop out everything else. However, the JPEGs are not full size. Meaning they aren't going to be at a resolution like you play in a game. The size that you see them is the size that I take the screenshot.

Second, if you want to know how to extract the files that make up the actual maps that is easy. Just open any of the altx files in the editor. Once you have done that just do a "save as..." and name it whatever you want. All the files that make up the map such as the objects, background, etc will all be inside the folder that you just saved it as. So for example, if you opened the map tbd_thecore in the editor and then went to "save as..." and let's say you named it tbd_ph1. There will be a folder inside the Altitude/Editor/ directory named tbd_ph1. Inside that folder will be another folder named images of which all the game images will be inside.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I was referring to the first thing you answered. Sorry for the confusion, I just wasn't sure whether you created the JPEG through a screenshot or messing with the files (wierd, I know); I should've just asked you straight up how you did it. Anyways, I had previously opened the map editor to see if I could take a screenshot of the map, but since it would never show the background on any maps, I thought this wasn't the way to do it. So after you told me you took the screenshots in the editor I played around with it and noticed that checking "Parallax Views>Graphic" shows the background. Then when you take off the Collision Outline is looks real nice. This is what I was looking for! Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

btw, since a bunch of people were talking about messing with the new core's background to make it less distracting, here's a quick photoshop of a desaturated/brightness adjust version (it's actually more brightness but less lightness, whatever that means).

original is on the left, adjusted is on the right. set it to color blind mode since that's the worst case scenario for this map. the planes have been cut out and repasted so they're not affected by the adjustment, but the metal plate areas haven't because I'm lazy (and they don't change much anyway since they're gray).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg core_adjustment.jpg (97.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for trying some ideas in photoshop. I have also been trying some different ideas in photoshop but haven't settled on anything definite yet. I think that the issues may lie in both the brightness as well as the complexity. So I may end up just adjusting brightness/contrast/color level of the current background, or maybe just coming up with an entirely new background.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM

I haven't tried playing on the new version of Core, but why not just revert back to the old background? It worked fine.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

So I have been messing around with the background. This is what I came up with. I guess there are two issues at hand, with one being the color(s) of the background and the other being the complexity of the image. In this idea I have just adjusted the coloration. However, if it is just too complex and is distracting then I will just start over again and make something new.

Please post some thoughts if you have any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corebgidea.jpg (111.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

maybe throw some action on top so people can see what it'd look like in game?

looks nice to me tho at first glance
Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM

I really like that color scheme.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
maybe throw some action on top so people can see what it'd look like in game?

looks nice to me tho at first glance
Here is an example shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg examplecore.jpg (103.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

well, I can clearly see that you're getting owned by that bot (ha!), so I'd say mission accomplished.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM

That last one looks better, but I think it still may be a bit to complex (can't say for sure really without playing on it). If maybe you just adjusted the contrast of the background, some bits would blend a little better with other bits and it might be softened.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Location: iowa... doesn't matter no ones heard of any iowa towns anyway

i like the latest one looks really well done. nice work
Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

So here are ideas I have been messing around with for the graphic in the center of the core. I am still leaning towards the "biohazard" sign because I think it works best with its circular pattern. However, if you have an opinion, I would like to hear it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coreoptions.jpg (97.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to iSam

Ohhhh i like that one pretty sweet! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
So here are ideas I have been messing around with for the graphic in the center of the core. I am still leaning towards the "biohazard" sign because I think it works best with its circular pattern. However, if you have an opinion, I would like to hear it.
My preferences:
1. Nuke symbol
2. Biohazard
3. Atomic symbol

How do you make an effect like that in Photoshop?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

biohazard looks the coolest, but it doesn't really fit the name of the map. and isn't there also some other visual reference to nuclear power in the map near the bases or something? I forget.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM

1) radioactive
2) atomic
A distant 3rd) biohazard
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, let me preface these next 3 posts by saying that I am providing the links to download these maps, however, they have the same file names as the older versions, so be careful not to replace the older map versions with these ones until the servers update them.

Also, I think that these are all improvements on the current maps. So if you are hosting a server, please greatly consider updating the current maps with these versions.

The first map update is tbd_thecore. There were obvious problems with the background and I hope that this current background fixes them. If it is still a problem for a lot of people then I will start over from scratch on the background, but in the meantime this should be much easier on the eyes. After much debate I changed the icon in the middle of the map, but not to one of the three that I was originally considered. I changed it to the 'outdated' radiation symbol. The reason I mention that it's outdated is so I can get a jump on the people who complain about it being out of date.

Keep in mind that tbd_thecore is an official map. That means that when the game gets an update, it will propagate the map to all servers and to each user via an update patch. There is really no need to download this map now unless you want to take a look at it in the editor.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im.../Tbd_core.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thecore.jpg (99.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 10-28-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Next map up for a make over is Mayhem. A lot of people took issue with the fact that the map was almost entirely filled with passageways and not a lot of open spaces. I have created this version of the map, which I think still holds true to some of the original ideas in mayhem, but also provides some additional flying spaces.

The map has also changed so that there are only two bomb spawns. The spawn in the middle is now a powerup only. The other two bomb spawns still spawn alternating bomb and then health. This means that the average bomb per minute is the exact same as tbd_thecore and tbd_middleground. If it still seems crazy with two bombs then I will consider switching the middle spawn to the bomb and the top and bottom spawns to powerups.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...bd_mayhem.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayhem1.jpg (96.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 10-28-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Final map with a makeover is Woods. When I originally made woods I ended up using graphics that I had to scale up in order to fit what I wanted on the map. This made the entire map feel blurry and graphically unappealing. I know that a lot of people really like this map, so I did an entire graphics overhaul. I literally redid everything on the map (minus the background which I merely touched up). I gave the map more of a 'cartoon' feel which I think fits the Altitude theme better. And now there is no blurriness, but there is more of an 'artistic' feel to it.

Keep in mind that nothing has changed about the actual layout of the map. While I personally don't really like the way the map plays, there are a lot of people who do. So instead of reworking the layout, I just decided to redo the graphics and then move on to making a new map.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...Tbd_woods.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woods.jpg (100.0 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 10-28-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Next map up for a make over is Mayhem. A lot of people took issue with the fact that the map was almost entirely filled with passageways and not a lot of open spaces. I have created this version of the map, which I think still holds true to some of the original ideas in mayhem, but also provides some additional flying spaces.
Disclaimer: I'm posting without actually having played the new version

Personally I thought the older version was fine. It wasn't a GREAT map to play on, but it was good, and as a bonus offered a unique environment to navigate through.

Just inspecting the screenshot my initial thoughts are that the two bomb spawns are too well connected with one another. I think one of your initial intentions might have been to make it so different areas of the map had to be controlled in order to control the bomb spawns. Now it is only one area...a large area sure but one nevertheless. It reminds me too much of the core now.

I would suggest adding back the horizontal barrier above the lower spawn, and below the upper one. It would make the two bomb areas tighter as in the original, and to separate them from one another while maintaining the open space in the middle.

Last edited by protest boy; 05-13-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Holy ****, Maimer. You're the man. This is a lot of awesomeness all at once.

I do tend to agree with Protest (and, uh, you in a previous post) though that the Mayhem center could use something to partition the two bomb areas off from each other. Just a couple options that I think might work out:

1) A flat horizontal line that cuts right through where the center powerup currently is and just leaves a small gap to fly through from either side.

2) A 4-block formation that's basically uh... ****, I wish you had played the old altitude. Basically, I thinking of the center part of the original Cave. something like this:

**X*******
X*****X***
****X*****

...where each of the X's is a blocker, and the asterisks are empty space. It makes for a nice thing to weave through, and the slight tilt of the holes tend to work well with the way players naturally fly. It might be hard to make this formation look right in such a structured map, though.

EDIT: Btw, I haven't actually had a chance to play this new version yet, so take this with a giant block of salt.

Last edited by DiogenesDog; 05-13-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely agree that Mayhem probably needs something in the middle there now that I look at it. I know that you had originally suggested that when you posted your idea about it Dio, but I guess I didn't really think of it like you guys have until now. I know what you are talking about with the old cave because i think it is in the old altitude video. I will experiment with a couple different things and hopefully get a new version up in the next day or so that at least incorporates something in the center there.

One main question I have is if I put something in the middle, where will I put the powerup(s)? I already reduced the number of powerups from 5 to 3. If I put something in the middle then I will have to relocate it. I think the ideal powerup number is 4, so maybe suggest some ideas of where to put 2 of them?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM

Location: iowa... doesn't matter no ones heard of any iowa towns anyway

/vote godmode maimer "who else could make these maps so ****ing good?"
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

well, you could still have the powerup in the center with some of these ideas, there'd just be some blockers in the area.

otherwise, you could always throw one under each base, maybe?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Maimer, awesome!

I agree though with adding a 'cave' rock formation around middle powerup spawn.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
One main question I have is if I put something in the middle, where will I put the powerup(s)? I already reduced the number of powerups from 5 to 3. If I put something in the middle then I will have to relocate it. I think the ideal powerup number is 4, so maybe suggest some ideas of where to put 2 of them?
I was suggesting adding back what you removed from the old one that made the upper and lower bomb areas nearly complete circles. That would separate them from the middle area, and leave the center open for the powerup.

Or possibly better, put two powerups in the two 'light beam' areas on either side of the map. This might encourage use of the lower areas a bit more and defenders will have to choose between getting a powerup and leaving the upper section unguarded. Also I like having some non-neutral powerups on a map. I always get a little thrill anytime I take a powerup from the enemy side of the map.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

I also think non-neutral powerups are a good way of promoting aggression in team maps. It gives a reason for non-retarded players to try to move past the center when there's not a bomb run.

in general, I really think that's the best way to use powerups, though: to encourage movement to parts of the map that are fun to play in but strategically suboptimal.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

By "non-neutral" I am assuming you are referring to the actual location and not the team ownership of the powerup, right? Because when we usually talk about powerups, I think of neutral meaning that any team can get it, as in a neutral bomb.

As for the powerups in the "light beams" if you mean between the two tanks, then there already are powerups in those locations. I came to the same conclusion that you did in that it's good to have a powerup towards the bottom in order to give incentive to go down to the lower area.

As for your idea of putting back in the upper and lower barriers to the bomb spawns, ideally I would want to do this. Remember, I designed this map with a very specific idea in mind. Now I am taking that idea and trying to modify it so that it appeals to a wider range of players which I think is harder to do than just starting fresh with a new idea. Adding in those barriers, while working more towards what the map was originally designed for, I think will just end up making it too cramped for what this map needs to be in order to be noob friendly. I think I can find other ways around this problem, I just have to mess with it some more.

I have finals starting on Saturday and going until Tuesday so I may not get a chance to work on this until after then, but if you or anyone else comes up with any more ideas, don't hesitate to post them as I will try them all out when I finally get a chance to edit the map. An image really helps too, like when Dio posted his idea, even if its just a copy of the map image and you draw on it with MS Paint. It will give me a better idea of what you are thinking.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
By "non-neutral" I am assuming you are referring to the actual location and not the team ownership of the powerup, right?
Yes. Non-neutral in placement, not ownership. I see now that is confusing.

I am for powerups placed closer to one base than to the other, that anybody can grab.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, I changed Mayhem one last time. I included some small barriers, as per Protestboy's idea, in order to separate the two bomb spawn areas but also keep the center area open. I also reverted the barriers above the base back to their original length (which is minus 3/4 an inch from the change). I tested it out a bit and the added length really didn't seem to prevent that many lobs and only seemed to add to the cluster of objects. Hopefully this is the last change!

I updated the links on the first post as well as the post about Mayhem including the image. I will include the image and link on this post as well.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayhem1.jpg (96.4 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 10-28-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

crap i loaded up tbd_open_mayhem.altx on the servers w/out palettizing the background image and what not so it's a friggen huge download . Ill fix her tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
crap i loaded up tbd_open_mayhem.altx on the servers w/out palettizing the background image and what not so it's a friggen huge download . Ill fix her tomorrow.
Don't worry about renaming it open_mayhem. I figured since there is a large enough crowd that dislikes the older one, you can just get rid of it and name the new one mayhem. No need to create confusion with two different map names. Are you planning on making it an official map or no? What's your plan with Woods anyway? Did you get a chance to look at that one or no?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator

woods will probably become official. mayhem will too once some ppl play it and give some feedback.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

played in the new mayhem today. I dont like the large black blotches in the middle for a few reasons:
  1. hides smoke effects from wounded planes
  2. player names are black so they get hidden too
  3. it just doesnt look good to me

I think it would be better if it was some sort of transparent gray explosion mark.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
played in the new mayhem today. I dont like the large black blotches in the middle for a few reasons:
  1. hides smoke effects from wounded planes
  2. player names are black so they get hidden too
  3. it just doesnt look good to me

I think it would be better if it was some sort of transparent gray explosion mark.
Alright, I will change it and send you a couple different backgrounds you can throw in there.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Alright, let's hope this is the last update needed for Mayhem. Redshift was kind enough to create new explosions which now are no longer straight black. Also the large explosion in the center was changed to a few smaller explosions. I have tested it and now the smoke and player names are much more visible.

I have played the map that is currently up on the Chicago Community Maps server about 4-5 times now with entirely different groups of 16 players (with a large portion of them new or demo users). I got nothing but good reactions about the map. I was actually surprised that not a single person said they didn't like the map. I know you were looking for feedback on the map Karl, so that's what I have got so far.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayhem.jpg (99.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 10-28-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

This is the second map for today: ffa_thecore. (If you missed the update to Mayhem, then look at the post above this one) As per Cokane's request, I attempted to make an FFA map. I really don't play FFA that much and I don't really know what makes it good or bad. So if this map sucks, blame Cokane.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im.../Ffa_core.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thecoreffa.jpg (101.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 10-28-2009 at 04:50 AM.