Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Just wanted to let everyone know, including Lam/Karl, if you plan on using the 1DM maps I have updated quite a few of them (if not all) over the past week or so. So make sure to download the most updated versions to use them. The links are all updated with the most current versions and as always they are hosted on Non-Official #4!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I updated the versions of Core and Mayhem2 for Ball. These maps aren't on any servers yet, but I figured I would post some screenshots of what they look like here so you can check them out beforehand. I have passed them along to the powers at be and hopefully they will get updated into the official maps list and take the place of the current maps that are there.

Not much has changed except the spawn points. I added some spawning areas above the normal playable area of the maps so that it would free up the map a little more and hopefully make for a better game. Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballcore.jpg (105.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg ballmayhem2.jpg (97.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Well, I'll add my comments from in-game chatting with you. I welcome any changes to those maps 'cause they aren't my favorite BALL maps. I think the recessed spawn points for mayhem2 will be a definite improvement. Core probably will play a bit better, too, but I think people have learned to avoid the top area on core because of the current spawn points, so it isn't such a problem.

What about random/sparse spawn points instead of clusters? What's your viewpoint on those?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
What about random/sparse spawn points instead of clusters? What's your viewpoint on those?
The answer is in the question.

I approve these changes. It immediately creates much more space on both maps. I still don't understand why you don't like mayhem2 though, tgleaf.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Also, I would be willing to make similar modifications to ball_mayhem and ball_woods if first, lamster/karl would allow me to remove the upper side-to-side pathway on ball_mayhem and second, if there was enough interest in the map ball_woods.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
remove the upper side-to-side pathway on ball_mayhem
Yes!

Quote:
if there was enough interest in the map ball_woods.
No!

[And don't tell anyone, but I don't like mayhem2 'cause I'm no good at it... shh...]

mayhem2 seems to have too much of a straight shot from spawn to goal... I think that's why I don't like it. It's hard for me to put my finger on it. I'm looking forward to seeing the new spawn locations in action.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

So I made an attempt at fixing some of the issues with ball_mayhem. I left 95% of the map intact and is exactly the same. The main thing I changed was the upper pathway that allows you to go from one side of the map to the other. I also added better spawn points as well as changed the goal slightly and fixed the shading so that it is now correct on all the objects. I will be putting this up on my ball server as soon as I can get it to work correctly which should be in the next couple days. Let me know what you think of this picture of it in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballmayhem.jpg (98.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Neat changes; I can't wait to try the new version. I especially like the removal of the ball-trapping 'nook' above each goal.

I notice you also flattened the 'ceiling' above each goal, and it seems like the entrance straight in front of each goal is larger -- what is your reasoning here? Any thoughts/ideas to pass on to us mapmaking noobs? =)

Also: Is there any chance of putting these on ProBall and Captain's server as well?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Maimer, I was gonna PM you and ask the same thing... can we have some of the rev maps (and planepark) on additional servers besides non-offic #2?

[Harm, the Pro Ball server is currently one of the ladder servers and therefore not available.]

Captain's server and the APL 1 and 2 servers will be used for the 6v6 tourney. I assume we'll want to use the rev maps for mayhem2 and core... and possibly mayhem if it plays well. Teams will need time to practice the "new" maps.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
Neat changes; I can't wait to try the new version. I especially like the removal of the ball-trapping 'nook' above each goal.

I notice you also flattened the 'ceiling' above each goal, and it seems like the entrance straight in front of each goal is larger -- what is your reasoning here? Any thoughts/ideas to pass on to us mapmaking noobs? =)

Also: Is there any chance of putting these on ProBall and Captain's server as well?
I removed the "ball trapping nook" above each goal because those were part of the TBD map and were the pillars the held up the base. They didn't add anything to the ball map so I removed them. If that is what you are referring to when you say flattened the ceiling above each goal, then hopefully that answers your question. As for the entrance being larger in front of each goal, I don't think that is the case. I literally copied the map piece for piece by using my original Photoshop file. I guess we can wait for when I actually get the map working and see if there seems to be anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Maimer, I was gonna PM you and ask the same thing... can we have some of the rev maps (and planepark) on additional servers besides non-offic #2?

[Harm, the Pro Ball server is currently one of the ladder servers and therefore not available.]

Captain's server and the APL 1 and 2 servers will be used for the 6v6 tourney. I assume we'll want to use the rev maps for mayhem2 and core... and possibly mayhem if it plays well. Teams will need time to practice the "new" maps.
I don't have control over any other servers than the one's you mentioned. I can talk to tec27 and see if we can get the revision maps as well as planepark up on the Proleague servers, but outside of that there isn't much I can do outside of that.

However, the revisions of core and mayhem2 should be made official in the next patch and will replace the old ones on all the servers. Also, I hope planepark becomes official as well, which will cause it to be on a lot more servers. As for mayhem, I hope this one takes the place of the old one. I guess we gotta wait and see how it plays.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, a working version of the Ball_mayhem revision is up on Non-Official #2. I played a game on it with 5 other players and everyone liked it much better than the original ball_mayhem, especially with the removal of the upper passageway. Also, with removal of the pillars there has been many bounce shots that are now available.

Please test this map out on my server and post your comments, thoughts, suggestions in this thread. I am looking to get this to replace the current ball_mayhem, so anything to get to that goal will help. Even if it's just a message saying that you liked it and you want it to replace that version.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM

awww the upper passage was tight. one team and another clashing within the confines of the passage..CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM

looks awesome for the most part, i just hate those obstacles at the bottom of the map under the goal. Attacking from the bottom is hard enough and having to fly in the wrong direction (away from the goal) to get around them just annoys me :/
Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 PM

For some reason, when I go into the bottom half of Locomotion, my FPS drops to 30 instead of the usual 60. This happens even when I have nothing else running on the computer at the time.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
For some reason, when I go into the bottom half of Locomotion, my FPS drops to 30 instead of the usual 60. This happens even when I have nothing else running on the computer at the time.
loco has a lot of parallax layers. In the console type "optionsGraphicsDrawParallax false" and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
It has about 3 parallax layers. I tried to optimize them myself (this was back before there was "import large png." However, this is the first I have heard of anyone having a significant drop in fps. I could go back and redo it (with better optimization) if Lam/Karl wanted.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM

this thread should really get stickied or something so it doesnt get lost like this
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 PM

Agreed.

Also, it's VERY old, but most of the FPS problems were solved by lowering my resolution to 800x600.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
5 NEW SUPER FUN BALL MAPS!!!

Let me preface these maps by first saying that the art in these maps was not done by me. The artwork done on these maps, as some of you may remember, was Reeslo and they were maps that were on the BlooMoon servers. I have merely adapted them to the currently Ball game mode.

Also, they are not designed to be on the Official servers. They are designed to be played on the "Fun Servers" or any server that wants to host these. Anyone is more than welcome to do whatever they want with these maps.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

CROSS - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...all_cross.altx
LASER QUEST - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...aserquest.altx
PURPLE - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...ll_purple.altx
OUTLINE - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...l_outline.altx
ORANGE - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...ll_orange.altx
this is really fun to see the maps that I created, you are pleased
I recently upload to a server all of my maps folder.

If you wish for other adaptation I also have all the psd files still in my possession.

thank you