Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 AM

I'm late to the party here, and I've had very little playtime with the latest patch, but I want to weigh in anyway.

It seems to me that maps are an overlooked aspect of game balance. With the new community points thing, you could offer community points to people who make good maps. Make a couple of community map servers (for lots of players, only a few players, bouncy/hard walls, etc) and a way users to upload their own maps. There'll probably be some gems in the dross, and the users that made the ones with the most playtime are rewarded with community points.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 AM

I just learned of this patch being released and am especially happy to hear about the changes to ball mode. I will check this thing out right away.

Fantastic, just fantastic support for this game.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRdude View Post
I'm late to the party here, and I've had very little playtime with the latest patch, but I want to weigh in anyway.

It seems to me that maps are an overlooked aspect of game balance. With the new community points thing, you could offer community points to people who make good maps. Make a couple of community map servers (for lots of players, only a few players, bouncy/hard walls, etc) and a way users to upload their own maps. There'll probably be some gems in the dross, and the users that made the ones with the most playtime are rewarded with community points.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

there needs to be some sort of official experimental maps thread. the blue hawk one was great, but it disappeared. give community points for maps that get played a lot, say something like 100 community points for every time your map gets played 30 times.

then the good ones can be made official official.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

So I've been thinking about the remote nerfs.

Remote used to be really good for get-away-from-my-ass. Now director is better for that, and I think that's the way it should stay. Remote needs a bit of a buff now (though it's still viable), but not back in the direction it came from. Now that the mines aren't collidable, you can't just leave it somewhere out of view and wait for an enemy to run into it. So I'd like to see them last longer, perhaps the entire life of the 'det (and explode when you do). That way you can effectively use the mine to encourage enemies to use other paths, without it prematurely exploding. And/or make the blast radius bigger, maybe increase the cooldown more to balance out. I feel like remote mine 'det should be good at staking a claim on a piece of territory and taking advantage of home terrain, since it doesn't have much maneuverability or ways to keep enemies off its ass. Anything but changing it back to how it was, really.

Thermobarics is a whole other kettle of fish. Now that we know and love fast rockets, why not change thermo to Heavy Rockets, which would be like director except slower, and do more damage and/or knockback. Or sniper rockets, which would be the opposite. Or heavy rockets which are still fast but affected by gravity, so they'd be super hard to aim-- but hey, we love high skill ceilings. That'd be capital-A Awesome.

Speaking of get-away-from-my-ass, I'd like to see bomber have tailgun buffed and 'nades nerfed. This should be the plane you really don't want to be behind, and everyone hates 'nades. I support changing dumb bombs to bombs+tailgun like in old alt. Plain ol' damage increase to normal tailgun, less cooldown on flak, and then make 'nades (and bombs) take more energy so you can't fire so god-damned many.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM

are you kidding? Tail gun is awesomly powerful as it is.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as red as black View Post
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

there needs to be some sort of official experimental maps thread. the blue hawk one was great, but it disappeared. give community points for maps that get played a lot, say something like 100 community points for every time your map gets played 30 times.

then the good ones can be made official official.
I really miss the community maps servers Man that thing was fun. Besides New England, they were the only servers I would hang out in without auto-joining something else.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurripilot View Post
I really miss the community maps servers Man that thing was fun. Besides New England, they were the only servers I would hang out in without auto-joining something else.
communitymaps and the other one people used to hand out in with the first awesome bouncy map was great.. and sorely missed =(
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Totally agree with Vi on remote mine. A+++

Semi-agree on Thermo. Never really been jazzed about this perk. I don't hate it or anything the way some people do, but meh. Never felt quite perfect.

Totally disagree on Bombers. Actually, my biggest gripe about Alt is that most of the planes can attack both forward and to the rear. Bombs+Tailgun was cool because it reversed the normal vulnerable point, but I've always been annoyed at the way the Bomber is basically a beast from any angle now. I'd def rather have a weak tailgun rather than some kind of weird thing where the primary and secondary are equally powerful, so the only vulnerable angle is approaching direction from top/bottom.