Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebone View Post
The problem with playing random lies not in individual, but with team psyche. The basic principle is that a single player's role is partially determined by what his teammates' roles are; when even one person's role isn't set, it affects everyone else on the team.

Say I'm playing a bomber. In ballmode, that basically makes me the jack of all trades. Sometimes I go for the ball when nearby allies are whales, sometimes I sit back and shoot if nearby allies are loopies/randas. If my team is five whales, I know I'll probably be the primary ballhandler, and will be going after the ball 100% of the time. If my team is five loopies, I'll be content going after the ball 0% of the time. Obviously, that percentage should be somewhere in the middle. If the team composition stays the same throughout the game, I can keep the same mindset the entire game, which helps me get used to (and thus be effective in) the role I'm playing, whatever it happens to be.

Now imagine I'm a bomber, and my team is five randoms. Now I have absolutely no idea what my role is, because I don't know what any of my teammates' roles are. Sometimes I should be going after the ball, other times I should be sitting back, but I don't know when. Sure I could just press tab, but why the **** would I want to do that when its much easier for my teammates to just stop being bitches and just pick a plane and stick with it?

The tl;dr version: playing random doesn't make you suck. It makes your teammates suck, but it's because of you that they suck.
This is a really good post.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
even Ingbo thinks I'm the best lazer in the World.
even ingbo.. man am i gona sleep well tonight

and ye i completely agree with ufo that some players excessive whining is just too much and they should be banned.

as far to what ryebone said, ye in a perfect world that might be true. tbh the way these ladder games are played and how some ppl in them react whats making them play bad is the fact that theyre overfocusing on the player playing random and whining all the time instead of actually focusing. Besides, how often do you take every players plane setup and analyze ur own optimal use in each situation? Its most oftenly pretty given what u should do. this is not rocket science, its altitude ppl LOL

Last edited by Ingbo; 08-03-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
Example 1: Smushface the Ace.
So my best setup is lazer, even Ingbo thinks I'm the best lazer in the World. However, I recently aced and as of this post, am only lvl 24 which is short of the required lvl 38 for my best setup. So in ladder, I've been playing misc planes like DF loopy, suppressor bomber, director explo and I am by no means terrible at these planes but I'm still not performing at my best. Should my less than 100% play be a bannable offense even if I'm not bringing my team down?

Because it's you, yes. Get banned bitch! On a more serious note, this is nothing that an hour or two in the pubs can't fix. Pubs give out more XP then York gives BJs.

Example 2: Nipple the Dreamer
Let me tell you the sad story of a guy named Nipple. Nipple is a good bomber, probably makes a lot of people's top 5 lists. However, after his 1100th hour mindlessly spinning in circles holding down F, he realized he wanted to be a slick, awesome lazer. Now, almost everyone agrees that Nipple helps his team the best by playing bomber and not lazer. And again, by no means is his lazer bad (not as bad as Ingbos) but it doesn't contribute as much to the team as his bombers. Should Nipple's dream of playing a cooler and more fun plane be a bannable offense?

This is a complicated issue. If you already have 2 randas on your team, you're not only "not playing 100%", but are actively crippling it by going laser, adding a third. This is not okay at all. However, if your team is overly heavy, by all means, go laser. If your team is at a good balance, don't switch if you get bored midgame without asking your team. I have lost SO many games because a heavy player goes miranda/loopy/bip for no legitimate reason at all. This can also cause excessive bomb carrier planes which is also a no-no. (Lets face it, if you're in TA, you better be running the bomb.) The strength of multiplane players is to be able to fill in the holes in your team comp, not do whatever the hell you want in a serious game.

Example 3: Gumby the Scrub
So Gumby has been around for a while, was part of Team Vapor and is one of the founders of the voluptuous and stream-lined Lobstars. However, he decided to go to Frog Land for a year, was unable to play Altitude, and is now pretty terrible. Not as terrible as say, York, but still not all that great. If you have him on your team, your chances of losing goes up significantly. Now, Gumby tries his hardest, plays his best planes, but has a year of rust built up in his joints and is still in the process of shaking it off. Now, is Gumby's hard work and effort but badness a bannable offense?

Not at all. Polishing off some of the initial rust in pubs can help, but in the end, you can only learn so much from pubs. While this scenario can result in a few frustrating games, it's by no means the fault of the player if they're trying to improve themselves and change planes to help the team as you describe.

Example 4: Eth the Overrated
Eth is a fantastic loopy. He basically wrote the book on them. However, he went MIA much earlier in the year and has only played 5 ladder games in the last 6 months. However, when he was playing, he achieved a high rating and is currently still ranked 10th in TBD ladder. And regardless of how good at loopy he is, if Eth played a ladder game tonight, he'd be at least a little rusty. And that rust would mean he'd be playing below his #10 rank and thus, would detract overall from his team (because of the way balance works). So, should Eth, being an overrated player due to ladder balancing, be worthy of a ban?

Again, rust is nothing a few hours in pubs can't fix. If that's still not enough, captains games go a long way.
Thoughts on these points presented.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM

It depends on the quality of the laser imo if were talking tbd. Lets say im on a team where im playing laser and we already have another player playing miranda and then i get to choose from whatever player i would want next in the entire game, smushface obv..... u know what im saying?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM

i think the easy solution is to make people stop playing biplane in ladder matches as it is even more useless than random

i mean, random u get biplane 20% of the time

when u select a biplane consciously your team is stuck with it 100% of the time
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
easy solution
Quote:
make people stop playing biplane
lol xD yes..how about an easier solution?..
let people play what they want <3
Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 AM

Or: Don't ruin your team while playing a ladder game.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matattack View Post
lol xD yes..how about an easier solution?..
let people play what they want <3
dont u have some 14 year old korean fellows to befriend
Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM

LOL at all of this.

I think this shows why sunaku is the only person i have muted. all he does is bitch and moan. (and plays biplane)

Imo people should be able to play what they want. you take the risk of have a bad player or someone playing random by joining ladder and it balancing you out. everyone had pretty close to the same chance to get that **** player on their team if you dont like it dont play ladder other wise just shut the **** up and play your game as best as you can, working around or with whoever you were unlucky/lucky to get on your team.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM

I'm all for letting people play what they want. I'm not against any specific perk. The thing is, people just don't know what they want when they play random and the ladder is not the place for people not knowing what they want.

As for advising to "deal with it", it's quite convenient when you are one of those playing randomly, Clapon, isn't it ?
Not to speak about the irony of "doing your best" as randoming is indeed the epitome of doing your best.
But please, continue your personal attacks.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 PM

I only play random on when im on your team bud cause i know how much you like it.

And when people play random they do know what they want, everything, randomly.

Also lol at this whole personal attacks stuff i haven't read one thing that would be in personal attacks category. So have fun accusing everybody as im sure they like it and think some much higher of you because of it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 AM

I don't see why this is so complicated. People shouldn't be playing random for two main reasons.

1. You're not equally good at every single plane, much less every single setup. In ladder, you should be trying to win, and a good way to do that is by playing your best setup.

2. It's constantly throwing off the plane balance. Some may not agree with the 3 light/3 heavy strategy, but a constantly fluctuating set of perks probably isn't better than 3/3.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorPayne257 View Post
I don't see why this is so complicated. People shouldn't be playing random for two main reasons.

1. You're not equally good at every single plane, much less every single setup. In ladder, you should be trying to win, and a good way to do that is by playing your best setup.

2. It's constantly throwing off the plane balance. Some may not agree with the 3 light/3 heavy strategy, but a constantly fluctuating set of perks probably isn't better than 3/3.
this would be all well and good but if ur telling everyone to use their best setup every game then it should be a bannable offense to use anything other than ur best plane or a plane that will improve ur play

i mean ffs i could play a perkless loopy and do better than half of the loopys in ladder.

full random is stupid i agree

custom random isn't stupid, IF you are sick nasty and ALL of your custom setups are good setups

looking at me

quintuple edit: custom random is still kinda foolish because it throws off your mindset every time you die, like some wise person said earlier

MASS MASS EDIT: biplane is still worse than random

Last edited by elxir; 08-07-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Quote:
biplane is still worse than random
Im still kinda confused. If you hate biplane so much then why did you right a guide to playing it effectivly in ball? I mean it just seems like if you don't like a plane in particular then why would you take the time to right a guide on how to play it? No anger or anything towards you, just a little confused
Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
this would be all well and good but if ur telling everyone to use their best setup every game then it should be a bannable offense to use anything other than ur best plane or a plane that will improve ur play
Ok that's fair...but I guess I just meant that you should be playing one of the couple setups you've mastered. For example, my main plane for ladder is loopy, but I can play whale and randa at least decently enough to be in ladder with them. Play one of your setups that fits with the team the best.

Ladder isn't really the place to be learning new setups if that's what you're trying to say. Yeah I'm alright at sniplane or bomber, but I'm much more useful in one the above planes.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 PM

OK, a few bans for you admins to do. Played on Bowserscastle in ladder1 just now, a couple idiots need a ban.

1) R!BZ SpeedyGonzales deliberately left midgame.
2) Ball Braiden* CN was exploiting a glitch and reverse randa-ing through the wall and bombing our base from behind.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfourke View Post
2) Ball Braiden* CN was exploiting a glitch and reverse randa-ing through the wall and bombing our base from behind.
I found that a while ago. I was praying nobody else would find out. Well, cat is out of the bag now ;(
Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Saw that happen, really annoying.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

A player named "Wolly" left midgame right before our team bombed the other base, causing us to get a hit 5v4. I don't have any screenshots but numerous other people were there and can attest to it. No admins were present at the time. I can find the part of my log that says it if necessary.

Edit: Realized the chat log wouldn't be very helpful. >.>

Last edited by Pieface; 08-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

SCREENSHOTS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! (or logfiles in case of sherlock nobo)

We all know what it means when like, say 4 people attest to something.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 PM

We also know Pie is a mod and hasn't pulled any sort of **** like this in the past. That gives him benefit of the doubt, yes?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 AM

Hi I just joined ladder and immediately after joining I had an arbitrary vote kick on me and it passed.

edit: rejoined and got another one from carbon this time, it didn't pass

Last edited by Kuja900; 08-18-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 AM

incidents have been investigated and bans have been handed out to wolly, <3 EvilArsenal!! (slevin), and carbon.

PM me if you have problems with your ban.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 AM

People doing it are trying to be funny, but they don't realize they're the butt of the joke.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM

Usually it's easier if you PM someone, like me, I enjoy reading PMs with pretty pictures in them, then I open mah altitude.exe and ban some peoples.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM

I got vote kicked off the TBD ladder today, the reason was sucking. Offcourse i had to endure some verbal abuse first.

I wasnt using rev, nor any stupid plane setup. I did my best and tried to help my team as best i could. I made not be as good in TBD as Ball but that isnt bannable right. I tried everything i could to make a usefull addition to the team.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 PM

While we're on the "BAN ZERO" line of thought, let me reach into my own F5 folder.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 AM

knowing that rote frequently spams tbd ladder for ball ladder, i think you need more than a lobby screenshot to prove that's what was going on.

i imagine ingbo knows seeing as he is in the screeny.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
knowing that rote frequently spams tbd ladder for ball ladder, i think you need more than a lobby screenshot to prove that's what was going on.

i imagine ingbo knows seeing as he is in the screeny.
It was only i spec chat first of all and all chat during lobby. Not rly spamming anyway.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 AM

is playing drunk bannable? serious question
Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
is playing drunk bannable? serious question
only if you get caught by the cyber police. serious answer
Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Depends how drunk you are.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Requesting a ban on Blue/Wood, who's ingame name right now is "Larton Crepsley." He's left midgame at least three times in the last day. Yesterday night I was on his team and he refused to spawn or leave because he was having "computer issues," and another game he came back with constant 800 ping the entire game.

Attached are screenshots of him leaving the game today and of him coming in as a spectator and trying to call a vote while a map was in progress. Not sure if start_random does anything during a match, but whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-08-28 at 6.24.22 PM.jpg (13.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 6.11.50 PM.jpg (20.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Requesting a ban on Blue/Wood, who's ingame name right now is "Larton Crepsley." He's left midgame at least three times in the last day. Yesterday night I was on his team and he refused to spawn or leave because he was having "computer issues," and another game he came back with constant 800 ping the entire game.

Attached are screenshots of him leaving the game today and of him coming in as a spectator and trying to call a vote while a map was in progress. Not sure if start_random does anything during a match, but whatever.
An admin took care of it. He's banned.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM

inB4 "BAN J4KE 4 BRAKING LADDR!1!!"

Basically, I joined the game and hit F instantly, cos we were still in ladder and I wanted to play. But apparently the vote had already been called.

And of course, there was rage. And hate. I lulzed.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
inB4 "BAN J4KE 4 BRAKING LADDR!1!!"

Basically, I joined the game and hit F instantly, cos we were still in ladder and I wanted to play. But apparently the vote had already been called.

And of course, there was rage. And hate. I lulzed.
Breaking ladder is not a banable offense.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Danielle

I'd like to make a complaint about ingbo.
I know he's an admin, but I don't give a crap.

Basically, when ladder isn't too busy, I spec.
I like watching people play, it helps me learn.

Yes, I can spec in a pub server, but what's the point? The players are ****.
I like to watch the more experienced players, both during scrims, leagues, and ladder.

Anyways, everyone left ladder to go scrim, so there was barely anyone in there.
We were playing on a map whilst waiting for more people to join, at which point, I would go back to spec. I didn't realise how many people joined (IE, enough for a game), so when whales called to go back to lobby, this happened:

[22:10] WhalesHavFeelins2: WE CAN LADDER
[22:10] WhalesHavFeelins2: LOBBY
[22:10] Danielle: no
[22:10] WhalesHavFeelins2: lobby
[22:10] Danielle: i dont play ladder, do not looby until more
[22:10] Danielle: lobby*
[22:10] TAYL00P[PRO]: we'd have enough without ya
[22:10] [fLb]Ingbo: [ ] cares
[22:10] TAYL00P[PRO]: why dontcha play ladder?
[22:10] Danielle: because i dont, ingbo i didnt ask you to care
[22:10] WhalesHavFeelins2 has called a vote to custom start_random.
[22:10] <#Mintz#>: and dani play :P
[22:10] Danielle: stop being a douche all the time
[22:10] Walls: normal
[22:10] Map: tbd_ladderlobby
[22:11] WhalesHavFeelins2: vote 1 and get in
[22:11] Vote passed with 100% yes votes.
> custom start_random
[22:11] Walls: normal
[22:11] Map: tbd_core
[22:11] [fLb]Ingbo: if u dont wanna play ladder
[22:11] [fLb]Ingbo: dont be in the server
[22:11] [fLb]Ingbo: lol
[22:11] You whisper to [fLb]CCN: why is ingbo such a dick to me all the time?
[22:11] [fLb]CCN whispers: duno he's usually nice
[22:11] Danielle: i come here because i spec
[22:11] <#Mintz#>: and to hang out wiht me :P
[22:11] [fLb]CCN: wat
[22:11] Danielle: like i was earlier, then everyone left, so i played a little while no one was around with the others
[22:11] [fLb]CCN: how
[22:11] Danielle: no need to be a dick about it
[22:11] [fLb]Ingbo: server is supposed for players
[22:12] [fLb]Ingbo: who wants to play ladder
[22:12] [fLb]Ingbo: not spec ladder
[22:12] Danielle: right, so i spec during games, when players are already here, if it gets full and someone wants in
[22:12] Danielle: then i leave
[22:12] [fLb]CCN: hey
[22:12] GMOZ!: let her watch
[22:12] [fLb]CCN: lets discuss this later
[22:12] Danielle: i dont see why you have such a problem really...
[22:12] [fLb]Ingbo: fine
[22:12] GMOZ!: jesus
[22:13] Danielle: you know what, i changed my mind, i dont want to spec with an elitist fag here. go suck a cock ingbo

[trimmed some unnecessary stuff out that didn't relate]

Granted, I probably shouldn't have told him to go suck a cock, but I don't see why an admin should be deferring playing from speccing for no reason.

I wasn't hurting anyone, and it's not like the server was packed out, most people were away on ffl etc scrimming, so please, enlighten me as to why an admin is telling me I should not be in the server if I am not playing..

I spec for a reason. I'm not good enough to play in ladder yet.
I don't TRY to play, to benefit you guys, the guys who play.
I don't want piss you off, by playing ****, and dragging your team (and therefore your ranking on the ladder) down.

If someone wanted to play, and needed to get in, I would have left to let them join.
If I was talking in main chat, and someone asked me to spec chat, or stfu, I would have done so.

Ingbo then went on to BAN me.

Can someone please explain to me what the problem is with me speccing?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM

There is no problem with you speccing. You're doing what any responsible "less-skilled-then-needed-by-elite-standards" player should do. I respect you alot for watching to learn. ^^
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM

lol what's the big deal they had enough without you why did you even bring it up
Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Personally it seems like you're being a dick to him =X

The text you've posted seems like you started it and continued to taunt ingbo. Insulting an admin is never a way to go about things. If you have a problem please consider talking politely next time. Also - how long was your ban for? I don't see it under the list of bans. I don't think he'd ban you for speccing unless you were doing something else (or unless the server was full).