Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 AM

I actually discussed this with Kennedy in-game, hence the lack of presence so-far. It was apparent from me and multiple players on both teams that Kennedy had the opportunity to dunk or pass to 3V for an easy, wide open goal, yet decided to do a 360 in front of it, at which point Apa came in and no goal was scored.

By my definition and other admins, that is showboating.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM

Soccer, that's just not true. I did not attempt a 360. My plane was facing upwards, tilted towards but not in to the goal when the ball bounced off of the sidepost to me.

At this point I should have turned left and shot into the goal, but instead I turned right, hoping to pass it off to a swooping teammate or complete the turn and then shoot. I was about level with the sidepost, so I couldn't just dunk or I'd bounce off it too.

It was a mistake. Not showboat.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

360 no showboat bro
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 PM

First report of this season, woop woop.

Reporting Jen$ for leaving midgame.
f9f6e49d-bdd2-476d-8a93-dba28067a1ab
http://www.altitudeladder.com/match....&mode=ball_6v6

-J
Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Taken care of
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 AM

Not cool.

-J
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 AM

taken care of
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Solqom voted custom stop after vote passed for absolutely no reason:

Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 AM

Taken care of
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Location: Sunaku pulls away, hesitant and unsure of these feelings he's feeling...

just to be clear calling a vote to stop any neutral map is still not a bannable offense right

(this isn't a question i'm still going to do it)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Calling the vote at the beginning of the game as a current player - No, not bannable.

Calling the vote repeatedly as a player OR calling it just as other team is pushing towards your base OR calling it to otherwise annoy your team, the spectators, or the other team OR calling it frivolously for no real reason - Ban under Rule 5 or Rule 12

Calling the vote at any time as a spectator - Ban under Rule 5
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM

So solq voted custom stop at the start of the map because it was the second ball_snow we played in a row.

The vote was in this game: http://www.altitudeladder.com/match....&mode=ball_6v6 which was played right after the http://www.altitudeladder.com/match....&mode=ball_6v6 game. You can see from screenie that solq was playing with void and tc and they played aggainst balln. (pic is misleading)

So, according to soccer, that shouldn't be bannable.

-J
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Huh....

Well that map is ball_labyrinth, not snow that is being played.

Regardless, I appreciate the clarification on this J.

Balln, if this is incorrect, let me know.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Oh, and here is my chatlog:

Quote:
[23:36] void has called a vote to custom start_snow.
[23:36] [BBQ]CookieB1tch: lol
[23:36] ehehe: rofl
[23:36] (|on1x|): agin huh
[23:36] void: lol
[23:36] void: GOT IT
[23:36] ehehe: pass
[23:36] void: LOLOOLOL
[23:36] [BBQ]CookieB1tch: void and his snowy map
[23:36] <Solqom>: ono
[23:36] Vote passed with 82% yes votes.
> custom start_snow
[23:36] <jstr>: snow way
[23:36] [Server] Starting ladder game...
[23:36] [Server] Tournament started. Only players currently on a team will be allowed to spawn.
[23:36] [Server] Tournament stopped. All players can now spawn.
[23:36] [Server] Tournament started. Only players currently on a team will be allowed to spawn.
[23:36] Walls: normal
[23:36] Map: ball_snow
[23:36] <Solqom> has called a vote to custom stop_tournament.
[23:36] Vote failed with 33% yes votes (needed >80%).
[23:36] {ball}'n: ?
[23:36] void: **** u doin
[23:36] [BBQ]CookieB1tch: NO
[23:36] <Solqom>: haha

[23:36] {ball}'n: BAN
[23:37] <jstr>: ice same map, snow way
[23:37] {ball}'n: os]
[23:37] [Server] Ladder game ended in Ladder #3 6v6 ball
[23:38] void: lol
[23:38] ehehe: zfense
[23:39] [Team] ehehe: diamond can u acid?
[23:40] [Team] {ball}'n: no need more emp
[23:40] [Team] ehehe: we have no kills
[23:40] [Team] <Raisin bran>: thise isnt working
[23:40] [Team] ehehe: @ all
[23:40] [Team] Diamond Lady: **** sorry for start
[23:40] void: im bad
[23:40] [Team] {ball}'n: EMP is way more powerful
[23:40] [Team] {ball}'n: it isnt working b.c they have a better team
[23:40] [Team] {ball}'n: not bevause we need a acid
[23:40] [Team] <Raisin bran>: im chanigng
[23:42] (MAD) HMS Failboat: pro
[23:42] <Raisin bran>: end this
[23:42] [Team] ehehe: nothin gonna matter
[23:42] void: on it
[23:42] [Team] {ball}'n: thats wat i saidd
[23:42] {ball}'n: gg
[23:42] void: gg
[23:42] leia smurfo: gg
[23:42] [Server] Ladder game ended in Ladder #4 6v6 ball
[23:42] [Server] Tournament stopped. All players can now spawn.
[23:43] [Team] {ball}'n: look at there team
[23:43] <Solqom>: close
[23:43] [Team] {ball}'n: look at ours
[23:43] [Team] {ball}'n: lol
[23:43] [Team] ehehe: heh
[23:43] [Team] {ball}'n: was obvious from start
[23:43] Walls: normal
[23:43] Map: ball_ladderlobby
[23:43] [Server] New Rating 1737, -33
[23:43] <Solqom> has called a vote to custom start_labyrinth.
[23:43] [Server] Ladder game ended in Ladder #3 6v6 ball
[23:43] ehehe: i dont know who some ppl are
[23:43] void: inb4 snow
[23:43] elixir: GL
[23:43] ehehe: could have been a chance
[23:43] [BBQ]CookieB1tch: vote snow
[23:43] Vote passed with 100% yes votes.
> custom start_labyrinth
[23:43] <Raisin bran>: ofc not snow
[23:43] [Server] Starting ladder game...
[23:43] [Server] Tournament started. Only players currently on a team will be allowed to spawn.
[23:43] Walls: normal
[23:43] Map: ball_labyrinth
[23:43] {ball}'n: how do u screen shot on a MAC
-J
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense now.

Balln: That's not ban worthy, especially considering it happened at the beginning or start of the map.

No ban issued; this case is closed.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM

Location: Sunaku pulls away, hesitant and unsure of these feelings he's feeling...

Hey, is there a way to add average total goals per match, left team avg goals, and right team avg goals, to this page (for every map ofc)?

tx luv

ps and maybe avg expected left team win %

Last edited by elixirwithani; 01-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
Hello Soccer. I wasn't sure how to reach you since we are not friends on Alti, so here I am.

The ban you gave me in December made me quite upset. While it was true that I had to leave a ladder game mid progress (sorry but life does happen sometimes outside of alti), 20 days of bannage seemed a bit excessive. Being the good little oyster I am, I patiently waited it out and didn't complain. It was Christmas time, after all, and I was still in fairly good spirits.

Very soon after I was able to come back, you banned me yet again for three days. Your reason: I was ping kicked during a ladder match. Again, I was upset. As unwarranted and cold hearted your actions were, the ban was small stuff compared to what I had just endured. I decided to again just take it on the chin and come back after my time was up.

Well, here I am now. I have waited out the three days (and then some). What do I return to? Oh how about an additional 21 day ban for the ambiguous reason of 'ping'. I ask you, Soccer, how can I be banned for ping if I wasn't even online?!

I'm not exactly sure why you hate me, but I would appreciate if you would stop mindlessly banning me. I paid money for this game, just like most everyone else here, and I would love to actually be able to enjoy the game I purchased. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm going to be returning to alti once my newest ban is finished. I see no reason to continue trying to exist in an environment that is inhabited with people like yourself who are clearly out to get me. If that was your goal, then congratulations I guess.

For the rest of you, it really was fun getting to know you and shoot planes together. It's a shame that the actions of one person can carry so much weight, but I guess that's just how the world turns.

Oyster out~
Posting this for oyster in the appropriate place.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Hello Soccer. I wasn't sure how to reach you since we are not friends on Alti, so here I am.

The ban you gave me in December made me quite upset. While it was true that I had to leave a ladder game mid progress (sorry but life does happen sometimes outside of alti), 20 days of bannage seemed a bit excessive. Being the good little oyster I am, I patiently waited it out and didn't complain. It was Christmas time, after all, and I was still in fairly good spirits.

Very soon after I was able to come back, you banned me yet again for three days. Your reason: I was ping kicked during a ladder match. Again, I was upset. As unwarranted and cold hearted your actions were, the ban was small stuff compared to what I had just endured. I decided to again just take it on the chin and come back after my time was up.

Well, here I am now. I have waited out the three days (and then some). What do I return to? Oh how about an additional 21 day ban for the ambiguous reason of 'ping'. I ask you, Soccer, how can I be banned for ping if I wasn't even online?!

I'm not exactly sure why you hate me, but I would appreciate if you would stop mindlessly banning me. I paid money for this game, just like most everyone else here, and I would love to actually be able to enjoy the game I purchased. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm going to be returning to alti once my newest ban is finished. I see no reason to continue trying to exist in an environment that is inhabited with people like yourself who are clearly out to get me. If that was your goal, then congratulations I guess.

For the rest of you, it really was fun getting to know you and shoot planes together. It's a shame that the actions of one person can carry so much weight, but I guess that's just how the world turns.

Oyster out~
Regarding your first ban

Oyster, your ban on December 15th, 2012 was for spectating without reason and was a 10-day ban, not 20-day ban. In theory it should have actually been closer to 20+ days, as this was your 4th ban, and your prior ban was less than a month prior.

If you were spectating for less than a minute, I'm usually not the type of admin that will ban for something like that. If you're spectating for an abnormally long time (where half or more of the game is played without you), yes, you'll be getting banned for that.

The easiest way to prevent from getting banned if you have to spectate? Let your team, the other team, and the admins know why. "brb have to get phone," "need 2 spec, door," or "g2g kid sick" are perfectly excusable reasons for spectating. Trust me, I know that people have lives outside of altitude. I know things always happen to come up not when you got triple specced, but when you've just started a game on your favorite map.

However, despite this, you failed to not only let me, your team, and the other team know why you were spectating, you even failed to let me know the reason post-match at any time. Not once during your 10-day ban did you PM me here on the forums, in Altitude, or even post to the Ladder Admin Thread (this one) disputing your ban. So the only thing I can do at that point is assume you accepted your ban because you knew you were in the wrong and should have said something OR that your speccing was for something non-excusable like you wanted to watch a kitten spin on a turntable on YouTube.

Regarding your second ban

I banned you on January 11th, 2013 for 21 days for constant disconnection with high ping. This was your 5th offense, 3rd in less than 2 months. You were warned about joining with high ping and yet decided to play another game anyway. If you choose to do that, that's fine. But if you're getting ping kicked in yet another game, especially after a warning, you're going to get banned. I fail to see how me banning you after being warned is "cold-hearted."

The reason you were banned initially for 3 days is the way that I and some other admins apply our bans in ladder. We (or at least I) do not have the Ban List up on my screen 24/7, nor do I remember how my prior offenses every player has committed. So, the typical order of banning a player is like this:

1) Player commits infraction of rules

2) I remove player from that server for the time being with /ban PlayerName 3 days *reason* This is just a quick way to remove player from server, prevent them from rejoining, and provides them a reason for their ban.

3) I go over to Altitude Ladder or AltBouncer if required to grab their Vapor ID.

4) I go to the Admin Ban List and search for prior offenses both by name and Vapor ID

5) Based on the prior offenses, the severity of the prior offenses, the nature of the prior offenses, and the length of time between prior offenses, I determine ban length. Note that there is no formula of how long (or short) a ban needs to be at any point in the process. I think there are a few ladder admins who ban heavy quickly, and others of us who are a bit lighter. For a 5th offense, there's a good deal of bans >30 days compared to <30 days, as a reference.

6) Now that I've determined actual ban length that is necessary for the player based on all the above criteria, I go back to US and EU ladder servers and /addBan based on the player's VaporID, this time with the correct, determined length and quick reason.

So, hopefully this clears up why you were banned for 21 days. This was not an additional ban on top of a 3 day ban for being constantly ping kicked in a game, rather, it was the length I determined was necessary for your ping kick ban based on the visible factors presented.

Concluding Thoughts

I would like to think that I am a fairly easy and nice person to deal with. On my end, there are very few players that I actually have issues with, so it's disappointing to hear that you feel I hate you when that's far from the case.

However, level of friendship (hate, love, or anything in between) does not influence my bans or ban lengths. I'm not out to get you, nor am I "mindlessly banning" you. You have 3 times in the past 2 months clearly violated stated ladder rules in this thread, even doing so after warnings were provided by me and/or other admins. The fact that you continued to pursue actions against the ladder server rules dictates the consequences of your actions.

To be frankly honest, I'm not really interested in your emotional defense of "I paid good money for this game therefore I'm entitled to play in this server." Ladder is a private server. Playing in the ladder server is a privilege, not a right, and certainly not an entitlement from purchasing this game. To maintain the environment of ladder, for better or worse, we have a set of rules and a set of admins who enforce them. It's not a perfect process, I'll admit, but it's the one we have. And all of us admins try our best to make the most of the system we're provided.

So I'm having a hard time feeling empathy for your situation. This was far from one out-of-control admin on a banning rampage for who knows what reason. You entered into a private server and have violated the rules a total of 5 times so far. The rules are clearly stated. Since you chose multiple times to ignore admins' warnings and break them, you must accept the consequences of your actions. This isn't the admins' fault; it's your's.

So if you decide not to return to Altitude Ladder Server after your ban is finished (which is a shame, because you are one of the more visible and interesting members), make no mistake: it was the result of the environment you created for yourself. I'm just there enforcing the rules.

It's a shame that from your message that you feel it's necessary to demean, insult, and make inaccurate assumptions about me instead of taking personal responsibility for your actions. Hopefully this (my) response will alter that. But if not, not much else I can do.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Soccer, I understand you understand the rules and that you take your job serious in enforcing them. All i hope for is however that your higher aim is to make ladder games an enjoyable experience for everyone. Like u said the rules are but one and imperfect instrument an admin has to its ability to make ladder servers a nice place play the game. I am sure you have common sense as well, so please use it next to the rules.

In the case of Oyster, who is a respected member of the community and has played tons of ladder games without breaking rules too often you seemed in my opinion a bit harsh in your banning behaviour. You can expect of Oyster that he does not spec to watch a cat on youtube, but has a valid irl reason. Although he indeed breaks the rule. The nice thing to do is to talk with Oyster first before any ban. Moreover, in my opinion, asking for the reason is not adding anything: what do we care whether someone ringed the doorbell and wouldnt it be sooo easy to lie about this anyway. A short apology when returning is far more appropriate. So therefore i suggest to change that rule.

If you do change that rule you should unban Pooper who you banned 2 days ago, since he did not give a reason for his speccing during a ladder game, but in fact did apologize.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM

I think soccer was incredibly fair in his judgement and assessment of the offenses. It is clearly stated in the rules that knowingly playing with high ping (enough to get you ping kicked from the server) or playing and being repeatedly ping kicked to a point where you continue to play are bannable offenses. Oyster broke this rule 2 times in recent months and had one other infraction in which he specced for a prolonged time. In each of these situations, oyster is affecting 11 other players and 1 more than the others based on who sits. Ladder is to achieve a fun, competitive environment which means 6v6 in ball and 5v5 in TBD. In either of this situations when one player is getting ping kicked or specs for long periods of time, he/she is affecting the overall enjoyment of ladder. There are plenty of players who respect this and will stop playing if being ping kicked or respectfully tell the other team that this is coming. It takes 3 seconds to type "brb door", etc. The way we handle ban lengths involves not only the crime but the number of offenses. So repeatedly doing something less harsh such as this will eventually give you fairly harsh sentences. It may seem unfair even if it is truly unintentional, but rules are set in place to try to achieve maximum enjoyment by others, despite the system not being ironed out 100%. But a slap on a wrist tends to teach no one, actual punishments tend to do the trick more.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccernamlak View Post
Regarding your first ban

Oyster, your ban on December 15th, 2012 was for spectating without reason and was a 10-day ban, not 20-day ban. In theory it should have actually been closer to 20+ days, as this was your 4th ban, and your prior ban was less than a month prior.
I did leave this game. The situation was an emergency and I did not have time to politely excuse myself before I left. Apologies. Still a ****ty thing, though, to ban me over the Christmas holidays.

Quote:
Regarding your second ban

I banned you on January 11th, 2013 for 21 days for constant disconnection with high ping. This was your 5th offense, 3rd in less than 2 months. You were warned about joining with high ping and yet decided to play another game anyway. If you choose to do that, that's fine. But if you're getting ping kicked in yet another game, especially after a warning, you're going to get banned. I fail to see how me banning you after being warned is "cold-hearted."
You say I was warned, but all you really told me was "try to fix your ping". Well, I tried, and thought the problem was fixed. There was never any threat communicated of being banned, much less 20 days of it. I was able to rejoin almost immediately after getting kicked, so the actual damage to the game was significantly minimal.

Quote:
The reason you were banned initially for 3 days is the way that I and some other admins apply our bans in ladder. We (or at least I) do not have the Ban List up on my screen 24/7, nor do I remember how my prior offenses every player has committed. So, the typical order of banning a player is like this:

-snip-
I honestly do not care how you operate, though it would've be nice to know my final sentence while it is being dealt out rather than after I have waited those initial three days. Try to imagine how angry it made me to come back to an additional 15 days of ban after I thought my time was already up.

Quote:
Concluding Thoughts

I would like to think that I am a fairly easy and nice person to deal with. On my end, there are very few players that I actually have issues with, so it's disappointing to hear that you feel I hate you when that's far from the case.
Please don't pretend to be disappointed, it is very insulting to me. Anyone who rushes for the banstick before simply talking to someone will never have any of my respect. You could have easily said something like, "Okay, I gave you a chance to fix your ping and it obviously didn't work. Please sit from here on out until you get it sorted." But no, you instead went for the, "You are dumb and didn't do exactly what I said. Prepare to be banned, fool." approach.

Quote:
However, level of friendship (hate, love, or anything in between) does not influence my bans or ban lengths. I'm not out to get you, nor am I "mindlessly banning" you. You have 3 times in the past 2 months clearly violated stated ladder rules in this thread, even doing so after warnings were provided by me and/or other admins. The fact that you continued to pursue actions against the ladder server rules dictates the consequences of your actions.

To be frankly honest, I'm not really interested in your emotional defense of "I paid good money for this game therefore I'm entitled to play in this server." Ladder is a private server. Playing in the ladder server is a privilege, not a right, and certainly not an entitlement from purchasing this game. To maintain the environment of ladder, for better or worse, we have a set of rules and a set of admins who enforce them. It's not a perfect process, I'll admit, but it's the one we have. And all of us admins try our best to make the most of the system we're provided.

So I'm having a hard time feeling empathy for your situation. This was far from one out-of-control admin on a banning rampage for who knows what reason. You entered into a private server and have violated the rules a total of 5 times so far. The rules are clearly stated. Since you chose multiple times to ignore admins' warnings and break them, you must accept the consequences of your actions. This isn't the admins' fault; it's your's.
I realize that the ladder is a private server and a privilege, but for many people (myself included) it is the only place we play. If you remove my right to play ladder, I simply do not play Alti. Dealing out month-long bans for such minor infractions is abuse. There is no other way to see it.

You keep bringing up the fact that I have had 5 violations. My account was created nearly three years ago. The % of infractions compared to my overall game count has to be less than 1%. Heck, it's probably less than .05%. But never mind any of that. I still am punished as if I had just murdered a man.

Quote:
So if you decide not to return to Altitude Ladder Server after your ban is finished (which is a shame, because you are one of the more visible and interesting members), make no mistake: it was the result of the environment you created for yourself. I'm just there enforcing the rules.
Please drop the robo-cop act. People get ping kicked DAILY. People leave the games for whatever reason DAILY. The one time out of my thousands of games I accidentally do it, I instantly get a 20 day ban. This is why I am upset.

Quote:
It's a shame that from your message that you feel it's necessary to demean, insult, and make inaccurate assumptions about me instead of taking personal responsibility for your actions. Hopefully this (my) response will alter that. But if not, not much else I can do.
And it is a shame you have no compassion or understanding in your little shriveled up blackened heart. Yeah, I am done with you and I'm done with Alti. Good riddance.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

the responsibility doesn't lie with the admin to contact the banned player about why he decided to leave a game, if the player doesn't attempt to appeal in any format then the logical assumption is that the ban was fine and the player is fine with it. from what i can tell, this is the first time oyster has ever contacted socer re: a ban, and in his post he already mentioned that he had been fine with taking the ban that had been given. this, essentially, is an admission of guilt - if you are fine with taking a 3 day ban without appealing, that means that you agree that what you did was wrong. in this particular case, soccer extended the ban due to it being his 5th(?) ban, and to a length that is actually shorter than the normal 5th ban length, especially considering the rate at which they've been accumulating.

an apology, while nice, is not as useful in these matters as an actual reason given for why an event occured. yes, people lie, but there's very little that can be done about that. for the most part we just have to accept what people tell us as the truth, with very rare cases in which we do not. as eloquent as oyster's "appeal" is, his message boils down to "soccer banned me because he hates me", a strategy that is hilarious but doesn't exactly have a strong history in success and also isn't even an apology, which is what you (beefheart) think he should have posted.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
Soccer, I understand you understand the rules and that you take your job serious in enforcing them. All i hope for is however that your higher aim is to make ladder games an enjoyable experience for everyone. Like u said the rules are but one and imperfect instrument an admin has to its ability to make ladder servers a nice place play the game. I am sure you have common sense as well, so please use it next to the rules.

In the case of Oyster, who is a respected member of the community and has played tons of ladder games without breaking rules too often you seemed in my opinion a bit harsh in your banning behaviour. You can expect of Oyster that he does not spec to watch a cat on youtube, but has a valid irl reason. Although he indeed breaks the rule. The nice thing to do is to talk with Oyster first before any ban. Moreover, in my opinion, asking for the reason is not adding anything: what do we care whether someone ringed the doorbell and wouldnt it be sooo easy to lie about this anyway. A short apology when returning is far more appropriate. So therefore i suggest to change that rule.

If you do change that rule you should unban Pooper who you banned 2 days ago, since he did not give a reason for his speccing during a ladder game, but in fact did apologize.
Rule 4 clearly states that speccing as a player for any other reason, either repeatedly or without giving warning is bannable. Theoretically, speccing and then coming back on saying "sorry" or "i had to go do something" is ban-worthy, as prior warning is required. So in my opinion, no changes need to be made to the rules as such. I also disagree with the apology aspect of it. Apologizing is admitting you were wrong about something, not that you were in the clear. Further, if people could make up a reason for speccing, then they sure as hell can feign an apology.

To continue, based on the prior number of bans and frequency of bans, as I explained earlier, Oyster's bans were justified, perhaps even less harsh than what they should have been.

Again, as I stated, if he had a valid reason, he was more than welcome to share it with me or any other admin. Oyster did not. Because of how ladder operates, it's usually easier to ban first and work out any kinks with it later. So again, I disagree with your philosophy that I have to be nice and check with every single player that breaks the rule and talk with them for 20 minutes first. If a rule is broken, the player suffers the consequences. If it needs to be discussed, I am more than willing to discuss it.

And I've already told Stormpooper and you the reason for the ban. You cannot spectate over half a game without prior warning or even giving any of the players a valid reason for such when you return, and expect to be able to continue playing ladder games for a bit.

It all ties into the main point that has been brought up in this thread time and time again. The rules are simple. They really aren't that hard to follow. If you break the rules, you get banned. If you keep breaking the rules, you get banned longer. If you don't want to get banned, don't break the rules. It really is that simple. So in my opinion, no, the rules don't need to be changed. The admins shouldn't have to be bending over backwards to placate people who break the rules; people should just learn how to follow them. It really isn't that difficult, I know so because there are people who have been playing for all six seasons and have still not been on the ban lists yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I did leave this game. The situation was an emergency and I did not have time to politely excuse myself before I left. Apologies. Still a ****ty thing, though, to ban me over the Christmas holidays.
Well perhaps you should have let me know here. Or in game. Or in PM. Or by posting in a thread. Instead you chose to say nothing and not appeal it.

Also, just because it's the holidays doesn't mean you get a free pass to break rules. That applies to all players.

Quote:
You say I was warned, but all you really told me was "try to fix your ping". Well, I tried, and thought the problem was fixed. There was never any threat communicated of being banned, much less 20 days of it. I was able to rejoin almost immediately after getting kicked, so the actual damage to the game was significantly minimal.
Being ping kicked even for a short period of time is still a distraction to both your team and the opposing team. Further, as it has been stated in this thread time and time again, warnings are a courtesy only. There's no requirement for them. Finally, if an admin tells you to fix your ping and you decide to play another game thinking it is fixed, you run the risk that it isn't. That's not on me.

Quote:
I honestly do not care how you operate, though it would've be nice to know my final sentence while it is being dealt out rather than after I have waited those initial three days. Try to imagine how angry it made me to come back to an additional 15 days of ban after I thought my time was already up.
Well now you know how I operate. Also, longer bans for each offense isn't really a new thing.

Quote:
Please don't pretend to be disappointed, it is very insulting to me. Anyone who rushes for the banstick before simply talking to someone will never have any of my respect. You could have easily said something like, "Okay, I gave you a chance to fix your ping and it obviously didn't work. Please sit from here on out until you get it sorted." But no, you instead went for the, "You are dumb and didn't do exactly what I said. Prepare to be banned, fool." approach.
I have been extremely consistent when it comes to banning, especially with regards to ping. If you have high pings that gets you kicked, I warn you. If it happens again, I ban you. It really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp. I talked to you / warned you. You could have sat and got it fixed. You didn't. You still played. You got ping kicked. That's when I give out the ban.

Why did you think you could continue playing without any risk of being banned if I already said something to you? If that's considering "rushing for the banstick," then I feel really bad for some of the other admins in ladder.

Quote:
I realize that the ladder is a private server and a privilege, but for many people (myself included) it is the only place we play. If you remove my right to play ladder, I simply do not play Alti. Dealing out month-long bans for such minor infractions is abuse. There is no other way to see it.
On the opposite hand, not giving out harsh bans to repeat infractions leads to abuse by players. Personally, I rather have the former.

Quote:

You keep bringing up the fact that I have had 5 violations. My account was created nearly three years ago. The % of infractions compared to my overall game count has to be less than 1%. Heck, it's probably less than .05%. But never mind any of that. I still am punished as if I had just murdered a man.
And again as I stated, 3 of those bans were in the past 2 months alone. I take things like that into consideration.

Quote:
Please drop the robo-cop act. People get ping kicked DAILY. People leave the games for whatever reason DAILY. The one time out of my thousands of games I accidentally do it, I instantly get a 20 day ban. This is why I am upset.
Everytime I'm in ladder, I keep track of who's getting ping kicked or leaving games. If you leave for no reason, I ban. If you get ping kicked, I warn and ban if it happens again.

If I'm not there, then it's up to other admins to monitor. If no admins are there, then it's up to players like you to report it here in the forum.

If no one does that, then it's not the admins' fault when players continuously play with bad connections.

Quote:
And it is a shame you have no compassion or understanding in your little shriveled up blackened heart. Yeah, I am done with you and I'm done with Alti. Good riddance.
All I can say is that I still think it's hilarious that you still haven't grasped the fact that you were the one that broke the rules, and yet instead of accepting the consequences of your actions, I'm the one that gets blamed for something that you consciously decided to do. Makes sense.

Last edited by soccernamlak; 01-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM

i like how funny ssd sounds in these situtations
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
the responsibility doesn't lie with the admin to contact the banned player about why he decided to leave a game, if the player doesn't attempt to appeal in any format then the logical assumption is that the ban was fine and the player is fine with it. from what i can tell, this is the first time oyster has ever contacted socer re: a ban, and in his post he already mentioned that he had been fine with taking the ban that had been given. this, essentially, is an admission of guilt - if you are fine with taking a 3 day ban without appealing, that means that you agree that what you did was wrong.
Have you considered that I have kept my mouth shut about previous bans because I'm not a snotty-nosed little brat who has to complain to mommy every time I get slapped? A three day ban is nothing to argue about. As an adult, I can just suck it up and come back later without causing drama. It is not an admission of guilt to stay quiet, but rather an example of character.

Quote:
in this particular case, soccer extended the ban due to it being his 5th(?) ban, and to a length that is actually shorter than the normal 5th ban length, especially considering the rate at which they've been accumulating.
The actual rate at which they've been accumulating is pretty similar to the rate at which the ocean is rising (very slowly, in case you don't understand). It was only 4 before this most recent one, and honestly I don't really even remember 1-3 because they happened so long ago and rather infrequently. I'm not sure why soccer feels the need to paint me as this illustrious villain, but the reality of the situation is that I've been around a pretty long time now and naturally have gradually accumulated a few infractions.

Quote:
an apology, while nice, is not as useful in these matters as an actual reason given for why an event occured. yes, people lie, but there's very little that can be done about that. for the most part we just have to accept what people tell us as the truth, with very rare cases in which we do not. as eloquent as oyster's "appeal" is, his message boils down to "soccer banned me because he hates me", a strategy that is hilarious but doesn't exactly have a strong history in success and also isn't even an apology, which is what you (beefheart) think he should have posted.
I am not going to apologize for getting ping kicked a few times, trying to fix the problem after a warning, then getting ping kicked once more after my solution obviously didn't work. I'm also not trying to appeal anything since I have no desire to play altitude any more. I just wanted to expose the fact that soccer has treated me as a simple peasant rather than a fellow human being.

The punishment does not fit the crime.

Free Oyster 2013~
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM

if you are not trying to appeal anything then why are we having this conversation?

by my estimations, there have been over 750 different players that have played in ladder since its inception. out of those 750, not even 25 of them have 5 or more bans. over half of those elite few have been permabanned. literally hundreds of players have played more games than you and have much fewer bans. do you seriously think this is because the admins hate you?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Have you considered that I have kept my mouth shut about previous bans because I'm not a snotty-nosed little brat who has to complain to mommy every time I get slapped? A three day ban is nothing to argue about. As an adult, I can just suck it up and come back later without causing drama.
The whole point of this thread is to appeal or clear up confusion on a ban. It's a way to get in contact with all the admins directly. It's even free! So why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

That's like saying, "I didn't commit that robbery, but I'm going to remain quiet. Oh by the way, I'm refusing free legal counsel as well."

Have you ever considered that half of this would have been avoided if you would have just posted on here,

"Hey soccer and other admins, I know I left mid-game a few days ago. I had an emergency and didn't have time to explain. I do apologize, and would appreciate it if you could reconsider my ban."

I guarantee it that your ban would have been gone in under 24 hours, no issue.

Instead, you say nothing. Then have the nerve to complain about it now, a month and an additional ban later?

Quote:

The actual rate at which they've been accumulating is pretty similar to the rate at which the ocean is rising (very slowly, in case you don't understand). It was only 4 before this most recent one, and honestly I don't really even remember 1-3 because they happened so long ago and rather infrequently. I'm not sure why soccer feels the need to paint me as this illustrious villain, but the reality of the situation is that I've been around a pretty long time now and naturally have gradually accumulated a few infractions.
For the record, your bans:

2011/07/03
2012/05/25
2012/11/16
2012/12/15
2013/01/11

Our point was that with this last ban, it was your third in less than 2 months. That gets taken into consideration (along with total number of bans) when issuing a ban length for an infraction.

Quote:

I am not going to apologize for getting ping kicked a few times, trying to fix the problem after a warning, then getting ping kicked once more after my solution obviously didn't work.

I'm sure your teammates and opponents appreciate it.

Quote:
I'm also not trying to appeal anything since I have no desire to play altitude any more. I just wanted to expose the fact that soccer has treated me as a simple peasant rather than a fellow human being.
As SSD said, then why continue to argue the point? Also this entire thread I've given you the patience and explained my actions in full.

Maybe instead of bitching at me because of something that you did, next time consider treating me like a fellow human being and saying that you have an issue with a ban when it actually occurs, not a month after the fact. Or even attempting to PM me at some point in game or on the forums. You might be surprised at how the outcome of this situation would have changed.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM

It is my humble opinion that banning people for "minor" infractions without warning does not promote a better atmosphere but in fact produces the opposite. People respond to a warning, and if they don't then ban. If you have to warn then about a similar subject repeatedly then ban, but don't ban someone for a ping kick in which they shortly join again when there was no real warning, for saying 1-2 things minutes after a spec chat without a warning, for "throwing" when someone simply isn't good at the plane they were playing but was trying, etc.

I also believe that if people were placed under the current admin situation for the past 5 years there would be well more than 25 people who had 5 or more bans. I strongly think that the old strategy that Guava abided by was a much more fair practice that didn't lead to people feeling alienated for small slips against the ban rule book.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 AM

Balln you may be right about the number 25, but out of the overall number I still think that the number is not much higher than that. Our ban lists are kept tallied (assuming the admins keep updating the list) so it is pretty easy to track overall numbers of bans. Also, soccer and oyster both say that a warning was given, and overall warnings are given out more than they aren't. The only time warnings are not given is for more severe acts. Soccer stating that warnings are not necessary does not mean he or other admins don't give them. We do, it is out of respect and trying to give better judgement towards the people who do screw up. If you look at the people who complain and act rash towards the admins and the system overall most are fellow perpetrators who think the system is corrupt because they screwed up. Seriously as soccer has already mentioned, the rules are so easy not to break. Ladder rules could be a lot stricter imo. There are players as soccer has said that have less than 5 bans, well there are people who have literally played 1000's of games without one single ban (small or large) that is because they have a good head, respect the other players, and don't play when they know they can't. I think soccer has done everything that a ladder admin should do, and I would have done the same under the circumstances as I understand (probably longer punishments to be honest).
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknietzsche View Post
The only time warnings are not given is for more severe acts.
I didn't realize saying 1-2 things after a spec chat was a more severe act, my bad.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
I didn't realize saying 1-2 things after a spec chat was a more severe act, my bad.
Like when Vesu was banned not long ago for saying "I love tea" or something, after spec chat was called just once.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

for ****'s sake stop losing your **** over bans people. if you're not perma'd, you can come back to ladder whenever you're unbanned. the admins are trying their hardest to be impartial and do their job. they have reasons for all their bans, just give them a ****ing break. i don't even care if you're wrongfully banned, if you lose your **** and go off on massive rants that even i can't take the time to read and laugh at just because you got banned from what? 6 servers? you need to grow up.

i just want to say thank you to all of the ladder admins. i don't know how you have the patience to type up these posts all the time and deal with people. thanks tho

p.s. if you're not a ladder admin, i will not read your response to this post if it's anything over like 5 sentences. tread lightly.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM

People are mad cuz they can't play remote as good as leggo. :S
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 AM

dont lose your calm leggo. Nothing wrong with some good feedback session. The system is far from perfect.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I for one, agree with leggo. tl;dr

I would pay for a condensed version. Maybe with some popcorn
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
for ****'s sake stop losing your **** over bans people. if you're not perma'd, you can come back to ladder whenever you're unbanned. the admins are trying their hardest to be impartial and do their job. they have reasons for all their bans, just give them a ****ing break. i don't even care if you're wrongfully banned, if you lose your **** and go off on massive rants that even i can't take the time to read and laugh at just because you got banned from what? 6 servers? you need to grow up.

i just want to say thank you to all of the ladder admins. i don't know how you have the patience to type up these posts all the time and deal with people. thanks tho

p.s. if you're not a ladder admin, i will not read your response to this post if it's anything over like 5 sentences. tread lightly.
hear, hear leggo
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM

I broke the rules and i accept my ban even if i didnt do it on purpose ()
but i have a question, are anonymous reports allowed or it is mandatory to publish them in the forum?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:46 PM

Don, you can feel free to pm an admin with proof, if you feel like anonymity is what you want.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
dont lose your calm leggo. Nothing wrong with some good feedback session. The system is far from perfect.
i know it's not perfect, i've pushed for changes in the rules system and how people get banned. although, there's a big difference in giving good feedback and complaining about every 2 day ban you get. and as much as i love seeing forum drama and love reading all these posts from idiots trying to appeal bans, even i can't be bothered to read the lengthy posts. i'm honestly just tired of seeing everyone bitch about getting banned. i've been banned twice, the first time for something i couldn't even control and the second time because sunaku is a huge penis. the first time it happened, i just politely pm'd nobo about why i was banned. and even though the reason was wrong, i just took it. it's 2 damn days. and then the second time was when i tried to push for a change in the administration, but that was semi-ignored so, meh. my point is, constructive feedback is not asking to get your ban appealed. if you really can't play in the ladder servers for the period you're banned for, i honestly suggest you uninstall altitude.

but, seriously, thank you to all the admins, for doing the community a favor.

tl;dr for ssd and strato: ladder community needs to grow up and appreciate things

Last edited by leggomyeggo; 01-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.