Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Guides Altitude strategy guides.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsteven View Post
You have damage written in both the "damage" section and the "explosion" section for each weapon. I'm confused : \

Trying to figure out if I should use my bombs to blow up enemy turrets, or grenades.
You add both the values to get damage per nade, damage is done on direct impact and explosion is the splash damage that the nades do.

EDIT: Also if you want to be any good use supressor or flak, dumb bombs are for noobs :P

Last edited by Stormich; 01-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
EDIT: Also if you want to be any good use supressor or flak, dumb bombs are for noobs :P
and i've taken your advice
Back to suppressor
Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsteven View Post
Thanks

and i've taken your advice
Back to suppressor
whatt?!?!? a new player taking advice that dumdbombs suck??? why cant the scrubs in ladder learn from you???
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Just a question about the Flak primary damage compared to Bombs and Suppresor if you look at the top of the guide to the stats bombs/supp does 1 more damage than flak was it a typo or just how they are? If so i am wondering why is that...Why the small difference of 1 hit point
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM

It's probably just a typo
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
It's probably just a typo
oh ok thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
oh ok thanks
il try n find the stats again and look.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM

sick guide is sick mled! just gave it another browse =D
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 AM

nice guide mled's bomber is scary really. Also I just noticed i was on the title pic missing you by a mile lol. I hope this is from when I was playing with 300 ping
Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguard View Post
nice guide mled's bomber is scary really. Also I just noticed i was on the title pic missing you by a mile lol. I hope this is from when I was playing with 300 ping
thx game and ya that pic is pretty old so it probably was.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 AM

What the **** is this perk lol?------------------------------------------------V
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 AM

rev thrust
Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 AM

It's the superburner. Removed a while back.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
yup <3
...char
Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
andd how did this lose out to REV THRUST?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saturday
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Nice work, mled. Makes me want to go play bomber.
I agree, I've been trying to master all the planes. This guide should really help with not only playing the bomber, but also understanding how it works.

ZROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Old 06-17-2011, 03:40 PM

wow this guide is insane sick work bro
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 AM

Great guide, to support the greatest plain in the game. :-D
Nicely done mled.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 AM

can you make a attack route for justice, assembly and scrapyard
please?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcedes View Post
can you make a attack route for justice, assembly and scrapyard
please?
Sure Il have them out asap.

Done i hope its ok they are new maps and I did this pretty quick to get them out to you!
Read the Ps at the bottom plz :P
thx for update reminder!

Last edited by mled; 07-27-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to n0xi3 Send a message via Skype™ to n0xi3

Thanks for the guide.. i am a newer player and have taken quite a liking to the bomber and am growing to like it quite a bit.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Great reading..! Especially the game mode specifics and strategies.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 PM

Pretty nice guide. As someone that mains Rev Bomber, I don't agree with your thoughts on Reverse Thrust and Flexible Wings. In alot of situations you don't need any extra health, and you don't need extra energy with good energy management. With no blue perk you can still kill very well so long as you have good angles, and with Reverse Thrust you can set up angles (although its very hard to learn). Even the throttling speed buff can come in useful sometimes although, if you are the primary damage dealer for your team, you should probably be taking extra energy.

Turning speed is really good for dealing with Biplanes and Mirandas, since they will often be fighting you close up. You can easily out turn a Biplane in alot of situations. Good Mirandas, especially bomb and ball carriers, are very good at getting passed your team's defenses, so Flexi really helps you stick onto them, or zone them.

My point is that as you get better at Bomber, Rev and Flexi become more interesting choices. Since this is a guide aimed at newer players/ learning how to play Bomber, I guess you shouldn't be recommending Rev anyways.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 AM

lol the post before you was in 2012... OOooo superburner perk
Old 01-27-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
lol the post before you was in 2012... OOooo superburner perk
Sorry if it is a problem, but does it count as necroing if the thread is still on the first page? And I was responding to the opening post which is still viewed by new members trying to learn Bomber (I read it recently because I am trying to improve my teamwork)? I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of Rev or Flexi Bomber, and thought this was better than starting a new topic for it. For one I think Rev Bomber is perfectly viable if you can manage your energy well, and don't spam Rev. Its worth it just for the throttling speed buff.

Sorry again if this is a violation of the rules, but I think necroing is really overated, I thought it was fine so long as your reply was relevant, and the thread is still relevant.

Also whats a superburner?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 AM

Rev anything is not viable unless you just want to dick around. Bomber really doesn't need to be able to dramatically change directions since it can already shoot from both ends and has an excellent turning radius.

I suppose someone could make a case for rev/remote explo or sniplane, but even then those setups work because the player's skill, not the loadout. They could be using full random and still have success...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:43 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
Rev anything is not viable unless you just want to dick around. Bomber really doesn't need to be able to dramatically change directions since it can already shoot from both ends and has an excellent turning radius.

I suppose someone could make a case for rev/remote explo or sniplane, but even then those setups work because the player's skill, not the loadout. They could be using full random and still have success...
never rev/remote explo. never disgrace the hippo in that manner

edit: as a side note, i miss stormich and his ladminning
Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post

Would you mind explaining why you think Rev Bomber isn't viable? I main Bomber, and have been playing at least half of my games as a Rev Bomber (for the past few weeks, I'm only counting Dojo, and a few ladder games) and I have found Rev far more useful than an extra shot every now and then. As a Bomber playing Ball, your role is often to spam important targets and to defend your goal. In pushes you want to be spamming and zoning the enemy off of your ball carrier. Being able to reposition helps with every part of your role, and helps you stay on top of slippery enemy ball carriers. I also believe that in most games you don't need extra energy as a Bomber, unless you are lacking damage, which usually isn't an issue against lighter planes that are typical in Ball games. It does seem less viable in TBD, because your positioning is usually more static and stable.

You do need to learn to spam less with less energy. Spamming one or two shots everytime you reach full energy is a good rule of thumb. You can't afford not to have energy once you have an angle on someone afterall.

As a disclaimer I haven't played in clan games, or other super serious games, but most people that show up in ladder and Dojo seem to be fairly good.

Last edited by Soul Evans; 01-27-2015 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Evans View Post
Would you mind explaining why you think Rev Bomber isn't viable? I main Bomber, and have been playing at least half of my games as a Rev Bomber (for the past few weeks, I'm only counting Dojo, and a few ladder games) and I have found Rev far more useful than an extra shot every now and then. As a Bomber playing Ball, your role is often to spam important targets and to defend your goal. In pushes you want to be spamming and zoning the enemy off of your ball carrier. Being able to reposition helps with every part of your role, and helps you stay on top of slippery enemy ball carriers. I also believe that in most games you don't need extra energy as a Bomber, unless you are lacking damage, which usually isn't an issue against lighter planes that are typical in Ball games. It does seem less viable in TBD, because your positioning is usually more static and stable.

You do need to learn to spam less with less energy. Spamming one or two shots everytime you reach full energy is a good rule of thumb. You can't afford not to have energy once you have an angle on someone afterall.

As a disclaimer I haven't played in clan games, or other super serious games, but most people that show up in ladder and Dojo seem to be fairly good.
You're main argument for using rev is for positional purposes, but if you just learn how to fly better and predict the upcoming play you can reposition just fine without having to sacrifice a valuable perk spot.

For example, whereas rev is really only useful for hovering over a lane so you can spam nades, some extra reserves of energy will let you fire 4 bullets instead of 3, which is the different in killing a whale or letting him off the hook. Having your energy regenerate quicker lets you stay in the thick of the action longer, do more damage per second and influence the game more. You get these benefits simply by spawning and they don't take any extra energy or thought.

Also, rev has no use offensively except for the odd fumble recovery situation that might happen once every 20 games. When you are revving, you can't really juke bullets or easily change flying lanes while on a breakaway. It's nearly impossible to pass the ball without having to spend valuable time spinning back around since your nose will be facing down.

etc. etc.

Last edited by Oyster; 01-27-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM

Your argument isn't wrong, but I think you are overlooking Rev's uses. The majority of my Rev Bomber games hardly use the backwards flying part of Rev at all. Heres an example of how I use it 90% of the time: I'm in position and am setting up an angle on a key target, a few unexpected or unseeable enemy passes happen, or my team loses the ball. My main target changes, or I almost have an angle on the new ball carrier, but I need to throttle to make a tight turn, throttling faster gets me my angle sooner, and if my angle is good I don't need extra shots. The half second that throttling saves here gives me my shot sooner, and allows me to apply more pressure on the ball carrier. I agree that Reving the whole game just isn't useful, and you either need to fly backwards for just a second to juke or set up a weird angle, or quickly come out of your stall so you can reposition faster. The rest of the game I am playing as if I didn't have Rev, but it does make a difference in those key situations.

There are a few situations where Rev saves a couple seconds by flying backwards, but usually I am using it to throttle, and almost never miss any extra energy. Reving near the goal allows you to defend better in the same way that Rev for Whales helps them defend better. You can just physically block more, and make catches easier, besides when defending near the goal, you almost always need to fly towards the goal while shooting, and Rev gives you more options. There is also the fact that my main targets are Mirandas with timewarp (or Loopies boosting alot) and high turning speed, being able to get an angle easier can get me good shots I couldn't otherwise get. Generally, if you are close up as bomber, turning faster gives you more angles. If I don't take Rev, or need extra energy, I usually feel slow and take Flexi (unless I need damage AND health). Basically I like to be up close to my targets as there is less time for them to dodge my lobs, and I can provide more angles on targets for my team, Rev helps with that.

Now against Whales I find that its usually enough to hit them twice or thrice with lobs and finish them with my suppressor tailgun. Its really hard for them to dodge your bullets. Usually whales aren't at full anyways. Now if the enemy is really tanky, or they have alot of targets that I need to be focusing I will take extra energy. Generally there are 3 or 4 light planes in a Ball team and harassing the heavy planes is usually enough. That is, unless you are the only plane on your team doing damage. If the enemy has alot of heavier planes (heavy = Bombers or Whales), or alot of damage dealers then Rev is a bad idea, now you need more energy really. Heavier planes turn slower, so repositioning is less important, so you don't need to match their turning speed anyways. I should probably mention that I almost never lob three shots at once unless I am sure it will kill my target. Thus I will hit a Whale (or any plane) twice, and kill it shortly after since they can't get out of my angles.

My main argument isn't really that I need Rev, its that I don't find that I need extra energy in most situations. I also find that in most of my games that reducing a planes health to near 0 is enough. If they don't have repair or have health packs near then they either run, juke alot/ play defensively, are killed by someone else, or I kill them shortly after. I would agree that Ace Instincts would probably be better in most situations than Rev, but I prefer not to us Ace, if I start playing in a clan my build will probably be Sup, Armor/ or Flex, Ace for most games.

This is irrelevant to my argument for Rev but I don't think the OP mentioned that Flak deals self damage. Theres a few situations where you just need a few points of damage and you're at point blank and shooting Flak will get you killed via self damage whereas Suppressor wouldn't. Actually, there are alot of situations where one or two bullets will kill a plane, and a lob or Flak is energy inefficient.

I think that explains most of my points of Rev. I'll probably not have as much to type in any further arguments.

Well, this is a minor point, but Rev helps against Loopies, especially when you get emped. Reverse thrust is the only thing emp doesn't debuff, and my throttle returns to normal allowing me to stall while emped so I can kill Loopies easier. This usually isn't a big deal at all, but I will take Rev over Flexi against an all Loopy team.

Last edited by Soul Evans; 01-27-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 AM

I think rev should mostly be reserved for co-op, it doesn't do very well competitively. Your turning rate is crap while revving, and people can shoot you down before you can dodge. XP
Old 01-28-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
I think rev should mostly be reserved for co-op, it doesn't do very well competitively. Your turning rate is crap while revving, and people can shoot you down before you can dodge. XP
I don't disagree that your turning rate is slow while flying backwards, but my main point, and my first point in my last post was that I mostly use it for throttling. Throttling is when you slow down or speed up your engines without stalling, reving or boosting. If you slow down you can make a tighter turning arc, rev lets you throttle your engines alot faster.

My secondary point is that I disagree that you require energy perks on a Bomber. Ultra gives, more or less, one extra shot storage and Turbo gives, more or less, one extra shot every 3 to 5 seconds. Bombers have amazing damage output, and with proper management of your energy you don't have to have more. Having more is a personal preference, so my point is that faster throttling speed, and the occasional reverse flying juke is worth an extra shot every 3 to 5 seconds.

I don't see why peopling are saying that Rev Bomber is not viable, it might be really hard to play correctly, it might be slightly worse than other options, it might be bad in the pro or clan meta, but it still has good uses on a Bomber. I've tested Rev Bomber alot over the past few weeks, at least 10 hours of play in Dojo against decent players. I'm not the best player by any means, but when it comes to shooting I do alright and this perk doesn't hamper my ability to take down targets or defend the goal. It has allowed me to make plays, like stealing or catching the ball where it would otherwise be impossible. It has allowed me to take down Mirandas, other Bombers, and Biplanes easier in alot of close up situations.

I have made my points, I don't think I have any more to say on the topic. You guys are probably alot better than me at the game, but I still feel like you haven't given Rev Bomber a chance to prove what it can do. Maybe at top tier play Rev Bomber is useless, but Reverse Thrust is usually a good choice at the average Dojo level, and even the occasional ladder game it has been useful for me.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:45 AM

I'm just saying that rev doesn't usually work out well with competitive play. It COULD be viable with lots of practice, but unless you already practice countless hours on rev bombers, its not really worth the effort. Also, I agree that an energy perk isn't needed for flying bomber, but at least to me, it seems to make a difference in actual play. You don't know how many kills I've gotten because of *one* extra bomb/grenade.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 PM

Transferred to Steam Guides 5/8/17