Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM

I do want to add in case someone already hasn't that with the trickster range buff at 10%. I am noticing I am able to hit two or even three planes with one shot depending on the bounce much more frequent than before. I mean I love it and all, even makes the setup that sin uses very easy to grind up bars and obviously more OP than before but, I would also agree on lowering the percentage just a bit.

I would also believe sin has seen a little bit of this range bounce effect, as I heard it mentioned in mumble the other day when he was playing ladder during one of the games on locomotion.

Last edited by Hollywood; 10-01-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM

DOGFIGHTER ANALYSIS BY THE WORLD'S LEADING DOGFIGHTER EXPERT

I played literally one game of ball (on the {arr} server) and wow! The dogfighter feels like a whole new plane. Killing ability is not noticeably stronger, but the all-around maneuverability increase is immediately apparent.

Dogfighter no longer feels like it is in its own way. It actually feels like it has a purpose now besides being a weaker HC variant.

When asked about this buff, longtime dogfighter enthusiast blln had this to say:

As I alluded to in my monologue (thought three), dogfighter never felt quite right. It was too slow and lacking agility to compete with a loopy, and the heavy cannon was far superior at sitting back and killing things.

Now, however, the dogfighter appears to have a niche, at least in ball. It is roughly as quick and agile as a loopy, and has a much more powerful shot, making it quite a scoring threat.

Good work.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I would also believe sin has seen a little bit of this range bounce effect, as I heard it mentioned in mumble the other day when he was playing ladder during one of the games on locomotion.
You missed me repeatedly shooting SSD off his base on roids.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I actually find that the dogfighter and recoiless plane now can be implemented into ball after playing a bit of ball with them. I find that just holding D (now that we have the secondary energy usage reduced) in a large group of enemies is really effective in ball as most of the time everyone is clumped up.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
Let's not switch sides here. Your last post clearly stated it took an entire team to stop a TA and only 1-2 players to stop a loopy or biplane. That statement is false and is what I was responding to.

However, if you wish to argue that TA is harder to stop than biplane - that's an entirely different story. I'd point out that every plane should not be equal. Should a bomber be as good at bombing as a TA? No. The game would be boring. Is a TA harder to stop than a bip? Maybe if you've never practiced against one.

It seems to me that the average player (or even the better than average player) has not played against TA enough times with their own team to make an actual qualified judgment on it.

Biplanes require a completely different skill set both to stop and to play. If it just so happens that the average players skill set is more in tune with a biplane then that doesn't make TA op.

Of course, with the latest buff, biplane has certainly gotten a whole lot easier. I also practiced 1v1 and 1v2 with the new biplane. Considering I rarely if ever play it - I did very well (although not as well as TA which I've played for months). I feel like biplane has the potential to be a better runner than TA with the current buffs (not that that's a bad thing).
Please note, that the biplane gets progressively worse the more planes there are in the game. Even pre buff the biplane was a good 1v1 and 2v2 plane.
I honestly have not played enough games with the new biplane to really comment on the balance but the from the limited amount of games i did play, i don't think the buffs are as bad as you claim. Time will tell though.

I also believe TA is still a better bomb runner.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Man, I had a long post about Trickster typed out and then my internet cut out when I hit submit

So here's the short version. Pardon the brevity.

-Trickster is a hard plane to use well but is well balanced at high levels of play.
-Current meta-game has trickster's sniping from a distance, occasionally dogfighting.
-Those tricksters who have adjusted to said meta-game are fine and do not need a buff.
-Current buff helps those tricksters in above statement because now they sit farther away.
-Remove the current buff.
-If you want to make a change to Trickster to make it more accessible but keep it balanced at higher levels of play, the change needs to be pretty nuanced.
-My current idea is to increase the warp distance of trickster slightly (like
10%) so that those tricksters who still F + UP to get kills have an easier
time of doing it. But those tricksters who know how to play won't get
a huge buff.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM

But F+Up is kiddie stuff at high levels of play. I'm more for changes that increase the skill ceiling instead of lowering it.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FN]MONXY FIST View Post
Please note, that the biplane gets progressively worse the more planes there are in the game. Even pre buff the biplane was a good 1v1 and 2v2 plane.
I honestly have not played enough games with the new biplane to really comment on the balance but the from the limited amount of games i did play, i don't think the buffs are as bad as you claim. Time will tell though.

I also believe TA is still a better bomb runner.
I believe you misunderstood me. I was talking about bomb running with me against 1 or 2 other people as a simple test to see how it works if all other factors are removed.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that the buffs are insanely op and horrible. I do think it's *somewhat* op but more time is needed to test it further in the competitive setting. If anything, I'm kind of pleased that dogfighter appears to now be as good, if not better, as a bomb runner as TA. I'm not so pleased that HC now pwns TA even more though =X
Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with sinstar. The 10% range increase is really not that big of a deal.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I agree that the trickster buff should either be partially rolled back or implemented in a different way. Personally I like the added emphasis on the trickster as a sniping plane instead of a "F+Up >>> Profit" plane and I think just rolling the buff back to like 7-8% would be a good course of action.

Aside from balance (which obviously takes precedence), can we hear a quick statement about the other parts of the patch that have been mentioned? I think Dio's response to the base damage issue would probably make the most sense, but whatever happens I'd at least like to fix the 0% thing as it's annoying to think the game is over and then see that the base is still intact ^^

On a separate note, it might be worth investigating whether I'm just doing the new JSON log format wrong (definitely possible, see post on first page) or whether it's not fully working as intended.

Last edited by Pieface; 10-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 PM

I don't think there's anyway to buff trick as it is right now without overpowering it. (If you guys get creative, let me know) It already feels a little too good, and despite the fairly high skill ceiling, I don't think we should stick to the "Only 2 people play it, buff it!" mindset that has been thriving thus far.

Other options for a buff that have been brought up in other threads include:

Increased Weapon Damage (Lolno)

Increased energy efficiency (No. We're trying to raise the skill ceiling, not dumb the plane down)

Improved Bounce Damage (On paper this doesn't sound bad, but the plane already can hit really hard from behind cover with bounces. That, and it would likely feel OP if this was implemented)

Increased Dash Range (I don't want to promote what in some player's eyes makes trick a boring, skilless plane (Mindless F+UP spam). F+Up is more or less Laser's niche now.)

Increased weapon range [Implemented]: This seems the most balanced of the possible buffs, but it seems to be a bit much. I think a rollback to 6-8% would be worth trying.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
My impressions after some (non-competitive) play testing:

1) Reduced energy on dogfighter/recoilless secondary feels unnecessary; partial rollback likely

2) Topspeed on dogfighter/recoilless feels too high now, but the extra burner on dogfighter really opens up the plane for its intended role. Dogfighter can now commit to dirty close-range dogfighting, particularly deliberate stalls for ideal kill angles, now that its buffed burners provide hope for recovery (before a random loopy whisks by to finish it off). I'm considering rolling back the burner buff on recoilless altogether and re-implementing the dogfighter burner as a velocity-dependent engine: at low speeds it'll provide significantly enhanced efficiency with the bonus acceleration disappearing as velocity reaches cruising speed [so instead of +30% at all times he'll get +60% at dead stop, +0% at cruise speed -- providing even better stall recovery but eliminating the current top-speed bonus]. This would also help differentiate recoilless/dogfighter a little more: dogfighter would excel in pitched battles / deliberate stalls while recoilless would remain more dependent on maintaining velocity.

3) HC pierce felt a little strong in ball matches (where plane stacking is very common) -- perhaps 75% / 40% would work better?
sounds legendary, especially point 2
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Yesss finally

Glad to know you guys are still here and great update!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM

I'd say trick was fine maybe a 2-4% increase in range but 10% seems too much for a plane that is not really complained about at all and was fine already!

Bip, I have to admit that its alot nicer now in terms of running and controlling, also the fact that accelerations quick it can get in out quickly without being killed as easily. That said maybe its a little too much atm and should be rolled back a little, the fact you can stay in stall position an get to the top of a map is a bit silly. Maybe nerf it to the point it stays still rather than goes up when stalled, or very slowly falls.

Anchor, I would say it is close to being balanced. After thinking about it I'd say when defending vs a competent anchor it is harder to stop than loopy etc imo. That said I am undecided so far as to weather it should be rollback as it still seems to be ok, needs more testing imo.

It would be nice to scrim or at least do some captains games so anyone interested post on TC thread, that way we can test out planes more.

nipuu
Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Trickster was actually considered slightly UP nipple, 10% doesnt make that much of a diff its fine really.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Trickster was actually considered slightly UP nipple, 10% doesnt make that much of a diff its fine really.
Considered by who? most people disagree kuj!

Last edited by A Nipple; 10-01-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 PM

Just most people who I discussed it with.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nipple View Post
Considered by who? most people disagree kuj!
There was a giant "BUFF TRICK" thread a bit ago. Where have you been?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trick is fine now. 10% really didn't make it OP.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
am I missing something? I put the json_custom_commands.txt file in the appropriate directory and wrote this command:
Code:
{"name":"slap","arguments":["player"],"argumentDescriptions":["player"],"voteThreshold":50}
When I start the server, it doesn't appear under the custom commands list. I've really only taken up coding as a hobby recently, so all this JSON stuff is sorta new to me. I'd eventually like to try some stuff in Python but first I need to figure out how to get people to call a custom vote ._.
That looks correct to me -- I copied your JSON-command to my ~Altitude/servers/custom_json_commands.txt file, loaded up the server, and everything worked as expected.

To invoke the command you join the server and type

/vote slap Pieface

Does that not work for you?

EDIT: Note that your JSON-defined-command is not "custom slap" -- the old syntax for Configurator-UI-defined-commands -- it is just "slap" directly -- these new custom commands are much more flexible and user friendly.

Last edited by lamster; 10-02-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Quote:
That looks correct to me -- I copied your JSON-command to my ~Altitude/servers/custom_json_commands.txt file, loaded up the server, and everything worked as expected.

/vote slap Pieface

EDIT: Note that your JSON-defined-command is not "custom slap" -- the old syntax for Configurator-UI-defined-commands -- it is just "slap" directly -- these new custom commands are much more flexible and user friendly.
I laughed hard, lol lamster...
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 AM

These custom server commands have real potential.... :P
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM

well, i'm comfortable saying the biplane perks are working..

Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Flawless games in pubs are easy.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:

Level Editor:
Increased max turret count from 63 to 127
Added turret configuration options (note: competitive maps should not adjust these; customization is intended for use in co-op maps)
gun cooldown (seconds)
bullet lifetime (seconds)
bullet speed
bullet direct damage
bullet splash damage
bullet splash radius
THIS, I will continue working on making the co-op program publicly available and creating new maps because of this.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Having played a few games with the nerfed TA and buffed trickster yesterday I do feel that TA needs a slight rollback to, say, 20% instead of 30%, yet I could also live with it the way it is now. OTOH, the trickster buff appeared just a little bit too much to me. But I can live with that, too, ofc
Old 10-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Btw, even though bips got slightly overbuffed, I love the new style of gameplay, Whales are less prominent getting crushed if they go in undefended or out of position (more of an even battle rather then whale domination).
Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the biplanes now seem to have a 5v5 tbd role! They can gain great map control!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

/vote slap Pieface

Oh, I'm bad. Not only did I not realize that it's not supposed to show up under the custom command list, but I also named my text file "json_custom_commands" instead of "custom_json_commands." Everything is working fine now!

Now to work on getting the slap command ready to be hosted on NE servers ^^
Old 10-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok3N^ View Post
Yes, the biplanes now seem to have a 5v5 tbd role! They can gain great map control!
yah they're scary, especially pworthy and vip
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm not sure if changing bip damage was the way to go, damage wise they were fine before.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
There was a giant "BUFF TRICK" thread a bit ago. Where have you been?
You mean the thread where we the general consensus was to slightly buff the bounce damage?

I mean, the 10% range increase isn't a huge deal. I just don't think it's the right buff.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Ultimately, this buff will only dramatically affect 2-3 players who consistently fire their weapon to the end of its range, so this isn't a huge deal either way.

I think 10% gives the trick a little too much freedom, but maybe I'm just high on power right now.

Last edited by Evan20000; 10-02-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 PM

The 10% is fine its really not that significant.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM

we heard u the first time kuja, rawr =]
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Oh I guess I did say that already, woops!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM

I've been playing a bit with recoiless, here's what I think:

-Weapon energy usage reduction: I cant say I noticed it, you can just rollback, it wont make a difference.

-Boost buff: Very noticeable. The ability to come out of a stall faster is very useful. However the speed increase wasnt necessary. As lamster said, the buff should give more acceleration without affecting max speed.

Please dont remove the boost buff from recoiless: fix it.
Implement it the same way you are going to code the dogfighter boost, but with lower bonuses.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Increased max turret count from 63 to 127
Is there a particular reason the new turret limit is 127? Could you possibly change that to at least 250?

That would allow the coop map to be made in duplicate, one for the blue team and one for the red team to go head to head against each other.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 PM

I would imagine that many turrets firing at once could cause serious lag on lower end machines.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Nice updates lam. Are there any plans to put clans/squads into the backend yet or will that be something never implemented?