Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Clan Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

Clan Organization Clan recruiting and other things clans want publicized.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 AM

True that, it felt like people were a bit tired after a Thursday/Saturday/Sunday shot. But I'm sure T will find the right doses soon enough.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Default Scrim vs SMILE

Alright people this is not a drill :

Scrim vs SMILE on

Sunday , October 7, 6:30 GMT

That's 2:30 EST
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Default Also...

Let's also make the thursday night scrim a weekly thing

If people don't show up, at least we get good dojo sessions like last time.

So every thursdays, 9:30 pm EST, come out and play!

Friends of <T> are welcome of course.

Last edited by danpare; 10-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 AM

I'm out this sunday, will be on travel.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Casual thursdays

Sorry guys, i was playing Borderlands 2 and totally forgot to show up at 9:30pm EST for casual thursdays :s
Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpare View Post
Sorry guys, i was playing Borderlands 2 and totally forgot to show up at 9:30pm EST for casual thursdays :s
You're bad and you should feel bad
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Quite
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Default lol

Now you know how it feels...

Did anyone even show up?

Why did no one beep me on Steam?

Lame excuses, etc...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Oh, I could have done that, hadn't thought about it though since almost no one was on anyway. ^^"
Old 10-05-2012, 07:24 PM

I was on, and the only one to show for the Captain's game... lol... I guess I could have "beeped you on Steam", but no one else was on anyway...

Note: Will be there for both scrims

Last edited by CmdrNoval; 10-06-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Yesterday's practice eluded me as well, guess I was busy studying or pretending to do so.

Our schedule for this coming Sunday looks like this:
SMILE - 2:30
ZeroGrav - 4:00 (if adequate attendance)
Times are EST

Hope to see y'all <T>here!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 AM

Oh sweet I'll add that on the main thread. I came home earlier than expected as well so I'll be present for both.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Resignation...

Well it's been fun, but i'm not having fun anymore doing this so i quit.

Going back to the curly braces.

Reason : apparently u can't fly a biplane in competitive games. I was told to "sit out" a number of times or change my plane, etc...

Sure, i'll arrange scrims and make sure everybody gets the info, and then you guys can play. No problem. Are you ****ing kidding me?

Biplane is my plane. I'm not changing ****.

Adios <T>, this is not worth it at all.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 AM

In my opinion, bip can be incorporated well into competitive matches, if you set it up right. Maybe <T> just Prefers J. Sad to see you go dan.

<3bip
Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18WpZo5bMY
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Of course I can't say much since I didn't see anything, but it sounds like people were heated at that moment, since things weren't going well.

Well, I'm originally a bip myself, it's a nice plane indeed with good control and almost stealthy weapons. Adding to Slender's video, I also remember SL finals, mssv as recoiless bip being top killer for BBQ. They won that match, too. As much as many people say bip shouldn't be used, it is and gives good results when used well - that SL match was the ultimate proof for me.

It's also true that team setup and plane matchup with the enemy both matter a lot in BALL, though. Like, a bip-only team will have a horrible time with a whale-only... (learned with T)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Sucks to see you go, dan. You were a great asset to the <T>eam. See you around dat Dojo

With Dan's resignation, I nominate Harm to be co-captain (if he's up for it and others agree)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Default SCRIM ZroG 10/14

This is the attendance sheet for the scrim against ZroG on Sunday 10/14 4pm est Please copy/paste the list and add your name to confirmed in a reply message, thanks.

Confirmed
AngryIrish

Maybe

No

Unconfirmed

Beertit-combo
Crabblebabble(fish)
Captain Ahab
CmdrNoval
Death
Elusiveone
Gflare
Gizmo
Harmonica
Hephaestus Jonesssss!
Jazz
Kafka
MagicMan
Mudo
Rusty Trombone
Tridecagon

Last edited by angryirishman0; 10-09-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: time
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryirishman0 View Post
This is the attendance sheet for the scrim against ZroG on Saturday 10/14 Please copy/paste the list and add your name to confirmed in a reply message, thanks.
Saturday is 10/13
Sunday is 10/14

Is this for Saturday or Sunday... also, at what time? I should be able to make it regardless.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Sucks to see you go, dan. You were a great asset to the <T>eam.
That's weird, because the vibe i got is that it was better if i didn't play.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Saturday is 10/13
Sunday is 10/14

Is this for Saturday or Sunday... also, at what time? I should be able to make it regardless.
Sorry about that, all fixed. That's what happens when you try to manage this in between work haha, anyhow it's for sunday 4pm est
Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
This is the attendance sheet for the scrim against ZroG on Sunday 10/14 4pm est Please copy/paste the list and add your name to confirmed in a reply message, thanks.

Confirmed
AngryIrish
CmdrNoval

Maybe

No

Unconfirmed

Beertit-combo
Crabblebabble(fish)
Captain Ahab
Death
Elusiveone
Gflare
Gizmo
Harmonica
Hephaestus Jonesssss!
Jazz
Kafka
MagicMan
Mudo
Rusty Trombone
Tridecagon
chars chars
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:

Confirmed
AngryIrish
CmdrNoval

Maybe

No
Harmonica

Unconfirmed

Beertit-combo
Crabblebabble(fish)
Captain Ahab
Death
Elusiveone
Gflare
Gizmo
Hephaestus Jonesssss!
Jazz
Kafka
MagicMan
Mudo
Rusty Trombone
Tridecagon
Sorry, I won't be able to make this one -- I'll be out for most of Sunday.

--

At the risk of stirring up drama:
I think that discouraging a teammate does far more damage than any choice of plane or perks could ever do. It's ultimately people that are playing this game, not builds. A primary reason I joined Tadow was the emphasis on camaraderie first, with "win the game" concerns rightfully coming second, and I sincerely hope that we never lose that.

While I do think that suggestions and constructive criticism about playstyle or builds are valuable (I really wish people would give me suggestions: I could particularly use some ball-handling tips,) there's a fine line to walk between offering suggestions and scolding. I myself accidentally blundered over that line with Mudo the other day, and I'm still trying to extract my foot from my mouth over that.

That said, the feedback we've received from other clans (after they've beaten us soundly) has been rather consistent in both the problem identified and the solution suggested: our team build and composition. I agree with them, and here's why: while we certainly have some wonderfully skilled members whose favorite builds aren't 'standard' setups, we don't yet have the team cohesion necessary to support and mesh well with those setups. History suggests that the 'standard' builds make it easier for teams to focus on -- and improve -- that cohesion, so I think we need to take a balanced approach where we incorporate a degree of textbook play and textbook builds, while still maintaining our ability to advance beyond it to our more favored builds once we've used it to built up our teamwork and cohesion.

So, in case anybody is still reading this, I'd like to propose two suggestions:
  1. For all player-specific feedback, suggestions, and coaching, we enforce a 6-hour "wait period" after any scrims. Instead of saying anything about any player or position during a scrim (when we're all likely to be a little more 'on edge'), we let some time pass, let our thoughts coalesce, and only later do we discuss -- constructively -- any problems, solutions, or ideas for future games.
  2. Each member of <T> commits to learn one 'textbook' build that's not their current preference -- but not at the expensive of their preferred build, of course. Here's how: whenever the enemy team has fewer than 3 points, fly whatever you want, however you want; but as soon as they get to 3 points, you must switch to the 'textbook' plane (and see whether you can shift the tide with it). I've been doing this with Bomber+Explodet for a while, and I've found several benefits that I believe make that approach effective yet still fun: the regular switching removes any tedium that could result from 'training' on a build that isn't your first preference; the 3-point barrier ensures that you only 'train' against a real opponent, instead of coasting over any 6-0 games; the 3-point lead also gives you a chance to acclimate to the other team's players and tactics, so you can respond to those instead of just arbitrarily switching to a new plane; it provides a rather nice incentive to really use the build you prefer, since if you aren't using it effectively you won't get to use it as long; and it gives us each a goal to strive for, and an opportunity to encourage and recognize teammates as they advance towards their goals as well.

I think we should always ultimately focus on having fun -- this is still a game, after all -- but I think those two proposals would give us a slightly-more-structured path towards improving our competitive play without losing the focus on fun nor leaving the door open for further hurt feelings.

Thoughts? Alternative ideas?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 AM

Although I'm not in <T>, I'm going to share my thoughts, feel free to ignore them.

Love the first idea Harm, brilliant.

3 goals is a lot to dig yourselves out of, even with a standard setup. I think you should choose certain games to play your favored perks and games where you choose to play your standard perks; the latter being used more often. This would give you guys a simple way to analyze and compare your 2 styles of play. Maybe in formal scrimmages you use standard and on informal scrimmages you use preferred. Maybe.

Keep in mind that ball has been played years before most of us were playing, so the most efficient way to put together a group of ballers has already been sorted through. This doesn't mean try new things; in fact, developments in high level setups happen all the time. But when you aren't sure how to proceed, it's a good idea to fall back on the basics that years of ball has created for you.

Woofs
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM

As much as I dislike most of the ballers for leaving {ball} forcing us to crawl back to number 1. Harmy still is my whale buddy, and even though hes given up his status as the best ball whale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
A primary reason I joined Tadow was the emphasis on camaraderie first, with "win the game" concerns rightfully coming second, and I sincerely hope that we never lose that.
Quote:
That said, the feedback we've received from other clans (after they've beaten us soundly) has been rather consistent in both the problem identified and the solution suggested: our team build and composition.
Quote:
Each member of <T> commits to learn one 'textbook' build that's not their current preference -- but not at the expensive of their preferred build, of course.
I don't know what other teams say to you guys about your play, but it definitely has nothing to do with a team composition. The thing most teams don't understand is that it takes time to be good, when we lost most of our 1st generation ballers after our back to back SL victory. We were on one leg at that point. It took us two seasons to get back to the level that we were once back then.

Take a moment to think about the list below.
  • Do I like the people I am playing with?
  • Do I have a passion for the plane I am playing?
  • Do I have talent?
  • Am I willing to put in the hours and thought to play better than the people around me?

As far as {ball} goes, Lekai left his black book that spawns pros. I mean who thinks of stupid names like Carlos, and Soccer. Sheesh. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofy View Post
Keep in mind that ball has been played years before most of us were playing, so the most efficient way to put together a group of ballers has already been sorted through. This doesn't mean try new things; in fact, developments in high level setups happen all the time. But when you aren't sure how to proceed, it's a good idea to fall back on the basics that years of ball has created for you.
Funny thing is Harmy is a 1st generation baller(Copywrited by {ball} :P) with access to all of {ball}'s old private information. Not to mention tgleaf gave praise to him as being a very strong strategist, and lastly Harm was shown in the Altitude Trailer as how good we was as a whale. :P Do not forget that Harm was a captain in {ball} at one point which is labeled in our first post under the {ball} of fame section.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post

Funny thing is Harmy is a 1st generation baller(Copywrited by {ball} :P) with access to all of {ball}'s old private information. Not to mention tgleaf gave praise to him as being a very strong strategist, and lastly Harm was shown in the Altitude Trailer as how good we was as a whale. :P Do not forget that Harm was a captain in {ball} at one point which is labeled in our first post under the {ball} of fame section.
Cheers to that.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM

I've sort of refrained from commenting on the thread about all of this so far, I'll discuss everything during the meeting on Thursday. Hope everyone can make it, after we talk things out between ourselves I'll post the main points, etc for everyone who could not show.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Damnit Harm now I have no back support whale when I get angry and get too aggressive bulldozing into a group of enemies with mines and missiles Guess I'll have to behave myself
Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM

We also have a scrim potentially against pie for the weekend after this, need to confirm a time with them. Will let you know when it's decided.

In the meantime, you can leave your status for either scrim with ZroG or Smile this Sunday on the forum or let me know during the meeting tonight. Thanks for coming! Please come. Pretty please. With sugar on top. No elixers allowed

Last edited by angryirishman0; 10-11-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Meeting tonight is at 9:30 EST as usual?

I'll be there for the ZroG scrim Sunday, can't say the same about a scrim with SMiLE.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Default meeting

Yep 930pm est. meeting tonight. I'll understand if you won't be at the scrim w/ smile
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Meeting

Just in case I don't already post here enough, thanks everyone for coming out last night; I think it went really well. Should have the video out by tonight, also thank you to the people who have already sent me their info
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Glad to hear that; I don't remember seeing so many <T>s on a same night. X)

Oh and about videos, the ones from last ZroG vs T scrim are up at JJ's channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAwesomenessJJ. I noticed there's a recording player for Tadow at all the games so not sure if you guys already have it yourselves, but there they go anyway. :]

Seeya tomorrow!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazNomar View Post
Glad to hear that; I don't remember seeing so many <T>s on a same night. X)

Oh and about videos, the ones from last ZroG vs T scrim are up at JJ's channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAwesomenessJJ. I noticed there's a recording player for Tadow at all the games so not sure if you guys already have it yourselves, but there they go anyway. :]

Seeya tomorrow!
Thanks for that, we actually didn't get that one. I'll give you the link to the one I record today.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Hey, count me in for both scrims today.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Will do, ill add you to the attendance sheet
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Default SCRIM vs. PIE Sat 10/20/12 12noon edt

Here's the attendance sheet, quote it and reply with your attendance:

scrim against PIE on Saturday 10/20/12: Time 12 noon est or 4pm gmt

Confirmed

AngryIrish

Maybe

Nope

Unconfirmed

Beertit-combo
Crabblebabble(fish)
Captain Ahab
CmdrNoval
Death
Elusiveone
Fierce
Gflare
Gizmo
Harmonica
Hephaestus Jonesssss!
Jazz
Kafka
MagicMan
Mudo
Rusty Trombone
Tridecagon

Last edited by angryirishman0; 10-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:

scrim against PIE on Sunday 10/21/12: Time 12 noon est or 4pm gmt

Confirmed

AngryIrish
Kafka

Maybe

Nope

Unconfirmed

Beertit-combo
Crabblebabble(fish)
Captain Ahab
CmdrNoval
Death
Elusiveone
Fierce
Gflare
Gizmo
Harmonica
Hephaestus Jonesssss!
Jazz
MagicMan
Mudo
Rusty Trombone
Tridecagon
I'm totally there, unless a terrible hangover prevents me from being up by noon
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I'm totally there, unless a terrible hangover prevents me from being up by noon
Yeahh I was a bit leery of having it that early myself because of those sort of reasons haha, but anything later wouldn't really work out very well for them
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:

scrim against PIE on Sunday 10/21/12: Time 12 noon est or 4pm gmt

Confirmed

AngryIrish
Kafka
CmdrNoval

Maybe

Nope

Unconfirmed