Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Guides Altitude strategy guides.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default [G] The Time-Anchor Guide

Time Anchor / Bomb Carrying – Miranda

Introduction

Hi thar! I be Mikesol and I’m here to tell you about this fascinating plane called The Miranda. However, I don’t care about the trickster or laser Miranda cause they just aren’t as cool (actually they can be - I just can’t play them). I'm here to talk to you only about the Time-Anchor Miranda. Something to note - unlike most of the people writing these guides, I don’t have a 5.0 ratio or even that many kills with the Miranda. I do have, though; about 3500 hours of in game time and about 8 million experience points (and 87,000 kills with randa).

The main reason why I can’t boast the crazy ratios or number of kills is because of the fact that I’m a bomb runner. I try to conserve my energy and only fire when needed. By having as much energy as possible at all times - it helps you get out of tricky situations without dying. Despite this fact, it is still important to kill when you need to. Many games - even as a bomb runner I'll be the kill leader simply because I know when and how to use my energy effectively.

But enough about me, lets talk about you. Actually lets talk about why you should consider playing the Miranda.

Why Miranda?
The Miranda is a quick and agile plane with the ability to greatly confuse the enemy. It can have excellent burst damage, shoot around corners, has the potential to be the best bomb-carrying plane in the game, etc. With that being said, getting used to the Miranda – especially time anchor – is a very difficult task. Even after hours upon hours of experience I still crash into walls once in awhile. You WILL crash a lot at first. In fact, I’d bet that more of your deaths come from crashing than from other players.

However, if you can master time anchor you will have achieved one of the most difficult things to do in all of altitude. In my opinion, the Miranda has the highest skill ceiling in the game. I still come up with new ideas for how to play it despite the countless hours I’ve poured into it.

Even if you have no desire to pour your time and energy into perfecting time anchor, it still is a lot of fun to try and play and adds an entirely new dimension to the game. When I first started, I enjoyed the intellectual dimension time anchor adds to the game. When I was a bomber I could just fly at a wall below a choke point, shoot through it, and flee. With a time anchor Miranda, pointing at a wall, even for only a little bit, is a bad thing (I’ll explain more later).

So now that we’re done talking about why you should play time anchor Miranda, let me tell go through the various perks.

Perks

Red Perks (This guide is a time anchor guide not anything else):
• Time Anchor
• Time Anchor
• Time Anchor

Green Perks:

Rubberized Hull: As per usual, this is a joke of a perk for any serious player. Training with it will just build bad habits and make it so you have a harder time playing with a real perk. The Miranda has such little hp anyway that bouncing off the ground won’t help much. You also have the ability to get off the ground and out of a stall with a simple teleport or anchor. Simply put: DON’T USE IT. (Slight edit: This perk is great if you're wanting to debug maps and see if you can fly through certain objects. This is not encouraged for a general player as most people will ban you for exploiting their maps like that).

Heavy Armor: The Miranda does not have much health to begin with and while Heavy Armor does help improve that slightly, it’s simply not that effective for this plane. You still can’t survive two heavy cannon shots or pretty much anything for that matter. This doesn’t matter, however, as time anchor can get you out of pretty much any deadly situation. As long as the enemy isn’t lagging you shouldn’t be hit by two HC shots or bomber lobs or even another Miranda. However, if you are trying to kill this perk should be considered. You can survive a warp shot with another randa - which can greatly improve your chances of winning the skirmish. This perk should also be considered when playing ball as it does keep you alive longer - which can help you get closer to the goal.

Repair Drone: The BEST perk for the Miranda (usually). This keeps you going even when you take a few hits. In general most encounters you have you’ll take some damage as the Miranda. If not, you’ll probably take damage from running into walls or anchoring incorrectly. The Miranda is very much a burst plane meaning that you need to get into and out of combat quickly. This is not the plane to camp in the middle of the map with unless you have a bunch of explodet guards or other planes to hide behind. When you’re fleeing from enemies or hiding behind walls you will be regenerating health fairly quickly. As the Miranda doesn’t have much health to begin with it doesn’t take long to get it all back.

Flexible Wings: To be honest I haven’t experimented with this perk much. I can’t imagine it would be very good for any normal style of play. I have used this with the time anchor + reverse combination. This is totally mind blowing though and I would not recommend anyone start out using that combination. As a whole, repair is still better for Miranda but who knows – maybe you’ll discover a new style of play that hasn’t been perfected yet (Future edit: Flexi wings can be very useful and provide for some interesting moves. I prefer it with laser though).

Blue Perks

Turbocharger: This is an overall good perk for Miranda - especially if you are just starting to learn about randa energy. You will regenerate your energy a lot faster and be able to get off more spam shots. However, you will not be able to progress as far with a full bar of energy as you would with ultracap. You will have to wait a short period of time to really get off a double warp - whereas ultracap does not have to. This perk also works well if you enjoy spamming with single shots rather than charging. Many people prefer this over ultracap - but it's not my personal recommendation.

Ultracapacitor: My recommendation for this plane. This perk allows you to go farther on a full bar of energy. My playstyle is to try and conserve energy as much as possible - and always have a full bar of energy when I can. I need to be able to double warp towards my destination in a split second - or have the energy to get out of a situation quickly. You will also find it's easier to perform many of the randas signature moves (such as the warp shot).

Reverse Thrust: Not the typical perk – nor one I’d recommend starting off with. Strangely enough I started off playing Miranda with reverse thrust, flexible wings, and time anchor. Someone actually dared me to play a match using that and I found it fascinating. There are plenty of neat tricks one can do with this. However, reverse will cut down on your energy and make it significantly harder to do a shoot-warp combo. Also, charging up with reverse thrust going is, in general, pretty horrible and inefficient. Lastly, you lose a lot of your speed when you reverse – which is something absolutely necessary for the randa. Magpie and Matattack generally enjoy this perk - but it's really not very useful in competitive games.

Ace Instincts: As is typical for all planes – Ace Instincts is great if you aren’t going to die a lot and aren’t playing against good people. However, as a bomb carrier – you will never ever want to use this. You will probably die every single time you want to drop the bomb with the Miranda – unless you’re playing against incompetent people or you get really lucky. If you want to play time-anchor as a killing machine this could be for you – but even will full veteran bars you can still be killed easily. Two heavy canon shots will still do you in. Similarly, bomber and explodet won’t fall to your shoot-warp (without heavy armor) and biplane won’t fall if it has heavy armor. You can kill a loopy even with heavy armor however. Something to note, though, is that if you do get the bomb with 3 gold bars on ace instincts you can do close to 40 damage (instead of the typical 30).

Perk Summary
You should most likely play repair + ultracapacitor unless you are experimenting with new styles of play. Some of the latest styles I’ve seen include the flexi wing, reverse thrust, time anchor as well as heavy armor turbocharger (for the people that spam the single shot instead of charging up anything). Don’t necessarily rule anything with time anchor play but I’m almost positive you won’t find a better combo for time anchor than repair + ultracapacitor (for tbd). If you are playing ball - I'd recommend either that or heavy + ultracap.

Last edited by mikesol; 01-19-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Strategy - Movement

Before we get into the crux of the Miranda’s potential we need to address basic movement with it. To start:

http://mikesol.com/pics/pic1.png

See that line following behind the plane? Well that’s your time anchor. When you press d you teleport backwards to that location facing the direction the triangle is pointing. You won’t do any damage teleporting backwards or anything of the sort. However, you can pass through walls. Although a situation like that is highly unlikely for an opposing team wall, you won’t take any damage teleporting through it. Another important thing to note is you save your momentum when you anchor (and can sometimes even gain momentum!). This might not seem like a big deal but there are some really cool things you can do with this. I’ll address these in a second. One last thing to note – you can’t anchor and then anchor again. Anchor works on distance moved. You have to have moved a specified distance to be able to anchor again. This means you can’t just fly backwards through the whole map anchoring to the last anchor and so forth. This also means that if you’re moving slowly it’ll be a longer amount of time before you can anchor back again.

Anywho, continuing - there are many different fancy things you can do with the Miranda. One of the moves I use a lot is actually rather basic – a simple part of a circle adjusted based on what I get out of it (speed, confusion, etc). See:

http://mikesol.com/pics/stall.png

This move gives me a wide range of movement. Based on how far forward I go I can go in pretty much any direction by anchoring back along that curve. If I want to go right from here I just increase speed til I get to the top of that curve and the triangle is pointing right. If I want to go straight up I wait a little bit and then anchor and so forth. You should (hopefully) be able to see all of the possibilities.

Remember how I said you conserve momentum? Well lets say you’re at the bottom of the map and you need to get to the top with the bomb. You could try and teleport / fly upward but you’ll be super slow and quickly stall. It’s just not a pleasant experience. BUT WAIT if I dive downwards fast (which is easy) and anchor while the triangle is pointing up I gain all of the speed from my downward thrust going upwards. This makes it so you can get upwards more quickly (especially with the bomb). This also tends to confuse enemies who are chasing you. Oh look he’s going down I’ll zoom after him. Oh crap he just teleported and is now above me. I guess I’ll just crash into this floor and die now because he’s so awesome (it always works like that).

You can also adjust this move to be a wider circle or a straight up and down line (mostly) if you want to be trickier or just gain more speed. Experiment with it until you find what you enjoy the most.

With all of this being said, it’s important to note many of the downfalls of the Miranda movement that you need to prepare yourself for. Even as a very experienced Miranda player I still run into walls while I’m trying to execute moves too quickly or not paying attention. Let me give you another example.

http://mikesol.com/pics/Wall.png

Here I’m being attacked OMG what to do? I’ll just anchor. Wait a second there’s a wall that I’m pointing at. Lets say I was flying really fast or moving downwards – well remember that momentum? Ya it comes back to bite you and you go slamming into the wall (you will most likely die). Even if you survive or manage to slow down before the wall you will either be significantly injured and slow or just plain slow. All of these are bad things to have happen to the Miranda (especially if you’re running low on energy). Unless you have all / most of your energy there will be an annoying time delay as you try to charge (your plane will glow blue) your warp. Also, remember that you can’t anchor backwards anymore so you’re just screwed if another plane is coming.

Continuing with some more basic moves lets look at the picture below.

http://mikesol.com/pics/tricky.png

So as you’re moving with the Miranda there is a lot of things you need to consider. For instance, I’m moving across the top right now but lets say a guy is coming up from the enemy base. I need an escape route since I have no hp. That’s why I never will fly in a straight line. As you can see from the picture, my anchor gives me a perfect opportunity to move to the middle. I could move down and have people follow me and then anchor back and go across the top. Or I can move down and back towards my base if I have no support. These are all things to consider before progressing. There is almost no situation where you should fly in a straight line around the map (the exception being everyone is dead or most people are dead and you have a straight shot at the goal and know nobody is going to spawn).

Another point I want to make is – don’t just keep anchoring. This is predictable and easily countered. Moving in a straight line and anchoring back is going to kill you if you repeat it over and over. Try your hardest to get out of a situation even if you have to run into the floor a bit. I realize there are some circumstances where it’s impossible without death but those should be few and far between.

One last thing I want to point out regarding Miranda movement is the partial warp or fake warp. You can warp and anchor backwards in the middle of the warp to fake people out. You can also hold the up button but let it go before you warp and your plane will glow like it’s going to warp but it won’t. This is great for faking people out and opens up a new style of game play with the Miranda.

Note: This is just a part of the gargantuan amount of tricky things you can do with the Miranda. I leave the rest to you to figure out.

Last edited by mikesol; 10-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Strategy - Bomb Running

As I said earlier time anchor is one of the most viable bomb runners in the game. In fact, people have started to accuse the plane to be overpowered in pretty much every game type. I feel this is because people are easily confused by the randomness of the time anchor and the top players know how to utilize this plane well. However, this randomness is something you’ll have to master (see movement). One thing to note: learning to control the Miranda is the most important thing to bomb running. If you can’t control it adeptly there is no point in trying to run the bomb as you will die instantly.

Once you’ve mastered the basic movement of the Miranda you’ll have to get used to using it when you have the big bomb. You will be a lot slower than normal so don’t expect to be able to easily get to the top of the map – it will take awhile. I suggest you practice picking up the bomb and flying around maps with it just to experience it.

Next, before we get into the main ideas, you should also realize that the Miranda has almost no hp. For this reason turrets can and will pwn you. In maps like asteroids you can only anchor for so long before the turrets will kill you. You must either rush in quickly or destroy the turrets – it’s as simple as that. While you should not focus your entire efforts on destroying turrets – if you know an attack is going to fail try and take out a turret – it’s a great investment in your future.

Now that we have these basic things done, let’s discuss some general strategies for bomb running.

First off is a simple but great thing to do – especially if you’re playing with nubs. You can charge towards the enemies and encourage your team to follow you. Once you get close just keep anchoring so your team passes you up. Now you can follow inside of them towards the goal or keep anchoring and flee if your team fails in their attacks. You should make sure that when you are anchoring you leave room for turning and fleeing. In other words, don’t keep anchoring right next to a wall so you can’t get away.

Another tactic for the Miranda is the misleading of paths. As you saw earlier a Miranda that does a lot of curves can pretty much go anywhere. If the enemies are coming to you decide where you really want to go anddd don’t go that way. Instead, fly up or below and try and lead the enemies on that path. Once they have gotten there quickly backtrack and go on the path you want to take. You may need to do this a few times to confuse the enemy. Heck, you may even need to rethink your path and go above or below. I will say this: you have no hp so don’t even think about trying to go head on unless you’re playing against people who are bad or if there is only 1 or 2 non-instant kill planes (i.e. loopy, explodet, biplane).

Continuing, you need to learn how to lob bombs with the Miranda. Yes, against good players this is usually null and void – but there is always the chance of getting a full or even partial hit. I recommend going to each map and try to lob the bomb from as far away as possible. Caves and asteroids have especially tricky lobs and you can hit the base from pretty far away if you know what you’re doing. With all of this being said, there are other forms of lobbing you should get used to which require other planes. You need to learn to judge the turning radius of planes. For instance, explodets suck at turning around so it’s a lot safer to let a bomb go a little bit further away from an explodet than it is for say a Miranda or a loopy. You can also more easily lob a bomb over certain planes as they come towards you. Trying to lob a bomb over a Miranda is, obviously, not going to work most of the time.

A fourth strategy you need to learn is using the map terrain. I hate to keep going back to asteroids but it’s a great example of this. The Miranda can warp through the gaps in the asteroids and warp again and lob the bomb in for a direct hit on the base. This is a VERY difficult move to pull off – especially if you’re injured or there are enemies around. However, it is things like that that will make or break the game. Speaking of which, along these lines, learn how to bomb from below a base. If the base has only 5 hp left or you can’t get to the top of it – hitting it from below can be a very viable option. Nevertheless, if you let the bomb go too early then you will completely miss and look like a scrub.

Fifth, learn how to turn around very quickly. This usually involves a stall turn or even rolling off the ground. Some people may look and think oh gosh Mike’s a nub look at him hitting the ground (which is true some of the time), but that’s not always the case. Lets say you’re on the top of caves (the path I prefer due to the cover) and the enemies are advancing. Unlike other Mirandas you can’t just turn around and fly away – you can only warp backwards. After you anchor, cutting your speed and hitting the ground often times saves your life and lets you fly back towards your base so you can heal and regroup. This strategy also adds to the randomness of the time-anchor Miranda. People might think you can’t turn around on the bottom of Mayhem; but, in reality, it’s quite easy to do if you don’t mind slowing down and hitting the ground and then warping back up. One other thing relating to this, if you fly backwards and then turn around and fly forwards, you can warp and face the other direction if you do it rather quickly (i.e. before your anchor gets back around).

Sixth, the time anchor Miranda has the unique ability to drop the bomb onto an enemy right next to them and not die. This is great if you’re by yourself in the middle and a bomb is about to spawn. Simply fly over an enemy press drop and instantly teleport back. You won’t take any damage and they’ll die and you can grab the other bomb and go forward. This also works very well if there are two bombs charging towards an enemy. Go in and drop yours on their team, then anchor back and support the other one (grabbing it if they die).

Now I know this is a lot of information and there is a lot more to be said about the Miranda, but I feel like any strategy beyond this is best discovered by yourself. There are certain map paths I prefer over others and certain things I do against certain people. I feel like learning to read and understand other players is more important in this plane than any other. For instance, I know which players I can easily fake out with my anchor and which players (like Kuja and Mat) are hard to get by. My typical strategy for those tricky players is to send my team after them first. Once they are dead (I look at the player screen a lot) I fly in quickly. Keeping your eye on the number of enemy players as well as their planes and who they are is a great thing to do as a Miranda (although it is difficult to get used to pressing tab so much in combat).

Last edited by mikesol; 10-29-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Strategy - Plane Combat

Before we touch upon the 1 v 1 combat abilities of the Miranda I want to point out that trickster and time anchor do the same damage and have the same shot. In other words, if you’re used to the trickster the only thing you have to get used to is reverse – the warp / shot is the same.
Next, I want to point out that you can double warp kill most people – especially if they’re damaged. If you time your warps correctly you can warp onto them then warp again (if you’re using ultracap) and do double warp damage. This is a very difficult attack to pull off and leaves you with virtually no energy but it is sometimes the best possible move.

Continuing, there is a high skill ceiling for the bounce shot. Your charged up shots can bounce off walls and hit others. This is difficult to do but some people like cloud, ufo, and manatee are amazing at it. Unfortunately I don’t have much experience with this and can’t give you such great advice in that regards.

Another point, the Miranda does not have much health so try to avoid lengthy periods of combat. Get in and get out. If you wait too long another plane will come and kill you as you’re trying to fight.

Finally, the time anchor Miranda is great for when planes try and attack you from behind. Simply lead them around a corner to avoid the attacks then wait and warp right behind them. They often will have no idea what to do – some people run into walls and some people will try to turn around – either way you should do a significant amount of damage or kill them by that time. Note that this doesn’t work so well against bomber, explodet, or another Miranda.

Now for some general 1v1 advice. (Edit: This is dated. The entire plane has been changed and these 1v1 match ups are not necessarily the best way to deal with these situations any more. At some point I'll update it with a better list).

vs. Loopy: Loopies are a great sight for the Miranda if coming at them from the rear or side but are not so much fun head on. If you get hit with emp chances are you’re dead unless you’re good at anchor / avoiding them. If you don’t get hit with emp you can kill them in one hit with a warp / shot combo (unless they play heavy armor and are undamaged). One thing that’s great to do is act like you are flying towards them to get them to use their emp then anchor back and wait for the emp to explode and charge in. The emp has a decent cool down and they prolly won’t use it again cause it takes too much energy in their spam attack (of just holding down f). Another downside about a loopy is that they turn very well. They can be very quick to get back at you even when you are behind them.

vs. Bomber: Bombers are super annoying to face against if they know what they’re doing. If you fly at them head on you will be hit with tons of nades. If you fly at them from behind they will also kill you with machine gun or flak attacks. For this reason I recommend trying to taunt them to get them to burn all their energy on nades and then attacking after you’ve anchored back behind a wall out of harms way. That or try and attack them from an angle (which they can easily counter if they are smart). Dumb bombs are easier to counter as long as you know to not follow them upwards. All in all, you should be fine hiding behind a wall until you can get a bunch of damage off and then just finish them.

vs. Explodet: Explodets are large and clunky – which is great for the speedy little Miranda. However, getting too close behind these planes will kill you. Once you’re stalled and out of speed you’re an easy target for other planes or for them to use their missiles on you. Also, since you are so light the mines will easily send you flying. I recommend fighting from a distance. Use terrain to your advantage but keep in mind that a missile can easily knock you into it. Don’t try a warp shot until they are more significantly damaged or you’re in open space and know you can get away afterwards. Even a crappy explodet can pwn you just by dropping tons of mines if you go after them.

vs. Biplane: The Biplane is one of my least favorite planes to face you can’t take this plane on head first or you’ll be in some serious pain. You also have to be careful of heavy canon cause some people like Maimer don’t seem to ever miss a shot and 2 shots will kill you. You also have Monxy and Tyr with the recoilless that seems to kill me instantly. I recommend approaching the biplane from behind or an angle and attacking quickly then fleeing. Never let the front of the plane face you in close proximity or you’ll die quickly. Even if you have max health and they are smoking I’d caution you against a head on collision course with the biplane.

vs. Miranda: Ah how I love and hate this match up. The Miranda has so little health so unless the player is playing with heavy armor a warp shot will kill them. Of course a warp shot will kill you. Cloud and I have taken each other out countless times at the same time from the warp combo. Ultimately if you try charging head on with a Miranda you’re most likely going to die even if you take them out too. I recommend trying to get them to burn their energy on a warp shot but anchor out of the way at the last second. Then go in and attack while they are still low on energy. Of course, if you are facing laser simply avoid the laser with an anchor and attack after that. Laser is prolly the easiest Miranda for you to face.

Power-ups:

Wall: By far my favorite perk for the Miranda. There are two great things I love to do with this. First off lets say you're flying right at a biplane (foolish normally). Now right before you get in their firing range drop the wall and anchor backwards. They will run into it and be emped and falling to the ground. You can then take them out. Similar to this, lets say a plane is chasing you downwards. Slow down and then drop the wall and anchor behind them. They will crash into that and take a bunch of damage and then you can take them out. Remember to slow down though.

Shield: Nothing that exciting to say here. You can shield yourself... This lets you get closer to enemies for a warp shot as well as bounce things back. The only thing I sometimes do with the shield is grab one then use it right before getting bomb so I have bomb + shield for a few seconds. Other than that it should be obvious what you can do with shield.

Missile: This perk is always a nice one to have - although I still prefer the wall. With this you can kill a player with a shot + a missile typically (if not they should be weak enough for you to charge in). This is great for longer distance kills where you can't warp shot or if you're facing an explodet. Also, similar to the wall, you can launch a missile, then anchor back. Lets say there's an enemy around a corner. You can go around it launch it then anchor to safety and come at them again now that they're damaged and shaken up.

Last edited by mikesol; 12-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Concluding Remarks

Despite the fact this guide is so lengthy I feel like I haven’t touched upon all aspects of the Miranda. I encourage each of you to go out and try new things and don’t be afraid to look like an idiot. When I first started I was crashing into walls left and right and failing at bomb carrying. However, while I was doing this I definitely felt *right* in this plane.

The time anchor is not right for everyone – especially those with slow reflexes. But, if you can master the skills of this plane, you will have achieved something truly remarkable and can add to the (currently) short list of players who make people think this plane is overpowered. Even if you don’t become a pro at it, it still is a great plane to goof off with and is great for exercising one’s mind.

Oh and one more thing (oh stop groaning) – I want to thank everyone who helped me out over the months I’ve been playing this game. It would take me forever to list everyone and I’d feel bad if I forgot anyone but chances are you know who you are. Without help and advice from many of the top players back when I was just a whee little nadespammer I wouldn’t have been able to progress to the level I’m at with time anchor.

PS: If you have any suggestions on other things I might add to the guide feel free to throw them out there. However, I am of the opinion that the guide should not include all possible things the plane can do. I feel the only way to truly master a plane is to figure certain things out for yourself. Please keep this in mind when reviewing the guide.

Last edited by mikesol; 10-29-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Reserved in case I need to expand guide in the future.

Last edited by mikesol; 10-29-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Perfect timing, Mike! I was just beginning to try my luck with Miranda bomb-running, putting aside my love for random for the good of my team. I've found it pretty hard to pull off in public games without a pack of teammates surrounding me.

I have been enjoying repair/reverse quite a bit, though.

Finish it finish it!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Well the guide is fully up now so feel free to post.

Also, Vi, the guide was *finished* when you posted - I just hadn't added in all the colors and pictures yet. I'm still looking over some of it but now that I have all of the real stuff people are more than welcome to post / ask questions and whatnot.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 AM

Very nice guide.

You could expanf a little more on the matchup parts, but overall, I like it.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

I say expand the part about Maimer never missing to about 3-4 pages and it should start to shape up quite nicely. Otherwise, very well done!

Edit: You also forgot the section about abusing the miranda self pass by making noobs rage quit in the Fun Server.

Last edited by nesnl; 10-29-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
I say expand the part about Maimer never missing to about 3-4 pages and it should start to shape up quite nicely. Otherwise, very well done!

Edit: You also forgot the section about abusing the miranda self pass by making noobs rage quit in the Fun Server.
Note that it doesn't take much of any skill to abuse self pass with miranda. You push s and you hold forward then poof you've done it. The real skill with that takes place from movement which I addressed significantly. Also, I don't think many noobs rage quit in the fun server because of it. The fact that some people left the one time you watched me doesn't mean anything - there are people entering and leaving all the time (sample size of 1 != statistics).
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Certainly very interesting ! Gread job.
I'll make sure I'll analyze all this so I can kill you more effectively in the future.

I believe GGQ was thinking about writing a bombing guide at some point. Maybe you two can write it together ? And even maybe with the help of BG1 ?
I'm pretty sure that kind of guide would be extremely useful for .. well, pretty much anyone, as the three of you are clearly the best 3 bomb carriers in the game right now.

Btw, I seem not being able to see the images. :/

Last edited by tyr; 10-29-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
Note that it doesn't take much of any skill to abuse self pass with miranda. You push s and you hold forward then poof you've done it. The real skill with that takes place from movement which I addressed significantly. Also, I don't think many noobs rage quit in the fun server because of it. The fact that some people left the one time you watched me doesn't mean anything - there are people entering and leaving all the time (sample size of 1 != statistics).
Agreed, it is easy to abuse.

Also, it was lulzy when maimer kicked bucket for selfpassing earlier today :P
Old 10-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
Agreed, it is easy to abuse.

Also, it was lulzy when maimer kicked bucket for selfpassing earlier today :P
Hahahaha! Yeah that was lulz to the max. Guess maimer doesn't like it when I keep winning with the most obviously powerful and effective plane in ball.

Nice guide mike. I'm missing the pictures and fancy drawings and hollywood-reenactments of time anchor featuring Keanu Reeves, but its written well enough that I know what you're talking about even without visual aids.

Now I'm off to get kicked from a ball server. Maybe with time anchor this time!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm I'm not sure why you guys aren't seeing the images. I have them uploaded on my server and I just linked to them? Can anyone see them or is it just me?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to NfoMonkey

no images here either,
also, teaching people to bend time and space... WITCHCRAFT!

we should do an ole fashioned witch burning.

great guide tho, i hope this doesnt actually encourage ppl to play time anchor, like beags guide did to reverse Hc, because even 1 mike with time anchor is annoying enough
Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm I'm not sure why you guys aren't seeing the images. I have them uploaded on my server and I just linked to them? Can anyone see them or is it just me?
I just checked the source (quoting one of the messages) of the pictures.
The forum can't show .pdf images.
Convert them to like .png or .jpg.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Needs more Kuja, but besides this glaring flaw not bad ^_^.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info Tyr - unfortunately when I converted them to png's they stretched the forum to obscene proportions so I just made them url's.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

The images were showing fine last night for me. Now they are just links. Looks like your original image might just need to be sized down about 50% or so and then you should be able to put them in with no problem.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

Actually, with faster energy regeneration, you get more warps in over time, where the ultracapacitator is just more burst, and u get way less energy over time

mikesol good guide but ur wrong about the blue perks, i use the faster energy regeneration and still one shot babies, it doesnt make a difference

Last edited by evilarsenal; 10-29-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Nice post mike, I like the idea of leaving a circle that allows you to anchor into any direction. Explains why you're impossible to kill unless I'm lagging
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post
Actually, with faster energy regeneration, you get more warps in over time, where the ultracapacitator is just more burst, and u get way less energy over time

mikesol good guide but ur wrong about the blue perks, i use the faster energy regeneration and still one shot babies, it doesnt make a difference
Imo it's just personal preference. Burst vs Stabillity.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post

I've conducted significant tests with this and unless you're flying for significant amount of time back and forth for speed turbocharger is not going to get you there that much faster provided you fly ultracap optimally. Me and some friends would fly as fast as we can across the top of lost city and see how long it took us to do that - I won some of the time with ultracap and if I lost it by wasn't that much.

I'm not saying that you just sit there and hold down teleport forward. In ball I don't let my energy get down that low. I warp and then wait and then warp and then wait. Because my energy is higher with ultracap after I warp I regenerate my energy faster (not faster than turbocharger but faster than normally - perhaps this is confusing. With optimal flying you can get close to the turbocharger level). It's something that might seem strange and I understand your disagreeance. I am still of the opinion that what I said was right, though (at least mostly. I did say that turbocharger over a lengthy period of time will provide for more warps if you notice).

Also note that I didn't say that you couldn't one shot people with turbocharger - just that it's easier with ultracapacitor in my opinion. To each his own, though.

Edit: I changed my guide slightly to maybe help with the confusion of the matter.

Last edited by mikesol; 10-29-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Great guide, well done.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 AM

I didn't quite read it all, but, uh, I shall be trying this method soon. Thanks much.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM

woah, someone took the time to write a guide?! Well, I hope to see a million time anchor's out there giving the greater altitude community headaches ^^
Old 01-14-2010, 06:50 AM

I was very frustrated by time warp being position-dependent instead of time-dependent, and not recalling your direction.

I found your guide helpful. Especially the last pic.

The reverse-thrust plus time warp is not... It seems quite situational, but it could work. Now my big enemy is de-stalling.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Great guide!

But, what did you mean by Randa losing its speed when you Rev?

It adds a thruster which lets you increase the velocity of the Randa itself instead of having to rely on the warp function, and that thruster does not rely on having energy. So, its good for going from the bottom of maps to the top, or escaping when you have no energy.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Well something I've noticed (Which I could be mistaken) is that after I play for a bit my speed starts to get faster and faster (more bars). However, when I stall out or reverse I lose that speed. When I start up again I don't appear to be going as fast as before and it takes a bit to get me up to that speed again.

Reverse is great from going from the bottom to the top and moving without energy. The problem, to me, is that you remain consistently out of energy and have to wait to get into battles. Whereas I might see you and charge up my shot and get ready for the warp shot you have no energy to charge or warp. You also go at less of a speed when reversing than you do when you aren't (another observational thing that I'm not necessarily saying is right).
Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 AM

Location: longest spear =====================================================================================>

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 AM

Sorry to intrude in such an obviously noobish way, but what is a warp kill? Does warp somehow do damage? Or something else?

If at all possible, could you please explain the warp + shot maneuver that you reference?

Thanks,
Suukorak

P.S. Great guide, other than that. Loving the Miranda.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suukorak View Post
Sorry to intrude in such an obviously noobish way, but what is a warp kill? Does warp somehow do damage? Or something else?

If at all possible, could you please explain the warp + shot maneuver that you reference?

Thanks,
Suukorak

P.S. Great guide, other than that. Loving the Miranda.
Sure thing Suukorak!

On the miranda you don't have an afterburner - you have a thing called warp. By holding the up arrow key your plane glows blue then warps some distance forward. Anything in that warp path takes a significant amount of damage.

If you charge up a shot and fire - hitting them and then warp into them you will do a huge amount of burst damage (enough to instant kill loopies without heavy armor or another miranda). This is what is called a "warp-shot" by many players.

I hope this helps - if you need further explanation feel free to ask.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:04 PM

hey, dont be so hard on reverse anchor. I use reverse thrust, and i think it works. for one, miranda has no thrust on its own (have you ever tried climbing straight up with afterburner? it doesn't work, and you have to wait for enough energy to regenerate before using it. reverse allows thrust at any time.). This is a hard plane to master, but when you do, it works really well.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Well something I've noticed (Which I could be mistaken) is that after I play for a bit my speed starts to get faster and faster (more bars). However, when I stall out or reverse I lose that speed. When I start up again I don't appear to be going as fast as before and it takes a bit to get me up to that speed again.

Reverse is great from going from the bottom to the top and moving without energy. The problem, to me, is that you remain consistently out of energy and have to wait to get into battles. Whereas I might see you and charge up my shot and get ready for the warp shot you have no energy to charge or warp. You also go at less of a speed when reversing than you do when you aren't (another observational thing that I'm not necessarily saying is right).
you can use reverse to get forward speed too. just reverse horizontally, the stop, and spin while stalling. momentum carries you forward, and faster than you could ever go without it.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Tank - reversing horizontally is great and all except for the fact it burns through your precious energy, you can't repair while doing it, and the spinning part reduces your speed significantly. If you just kept going forward without reverse you'd find that your speed would be higher than if you reverse places.

Also, there are other (better) ways to get to the top of the map with anchor as I mentioned in my guide (provided you have energy which you should).

Furthermore - the warp *IS* the afterburner for the miranda. As long as you aren't carrying the bomb it takes like no time at all to get to the top of the map.

Anywho - after the patch I have yet to see a reverse anchor who could actually be useful to a team. I accept that it is a tricky plane to play but so far nobody that I've seen has actually mastered that plane.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Tank - reversing horizontally is great and all except for the fact it burns through your precious energy, you can't repair while doing it, and the spinning part reduces your speed significantly. If you just kept going forward without reverse you'd find that your speed would be higher than if you reverse places.

Also, there are other (better) ways to get to the top of the map with anchor as I mentioned in my guide (provided you have energy which you should).

Furthermore - the warp *IS* the afterburner for the miranda. As long as you aren't carrying the bomb it takes like no time at all to get to the top of the map.

Anywho - after the patch I have yet to see a reverse anchor who could actually be useful to a team. I accept that it is a tricky plane to play but so far nobody that I've seen has actually mastered that plane.
To be fair, I haven't seen Magpie on since the patch.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
To be fair, I haven't seen Magpie on since the patch.
True. My point being is that all of the other reverse anchors I saw have pretty much stopped since the patch. Those who continue are still in the learning phase.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 AM

Rev anchors were always fun to play against. It seems a lot of Mirandas in general don't know what to do this the patches/repair nerf.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:

i guess you haven't seen me play then...

jk, but seriously, i think i have it down.

Also, you say that reverse takes up all your energy, and it does, but if you start charging before you reverse, you will reverse and charge at the same time. this makes it possible to go right into battle after reversing. This shot will probably not kill them, but i also notice that (correct me if im wrong) anchoring does take energy, but you can do it when you have no energy. all you need is enough cooldown time. so when that shot hits, anchor behind cover, and wait for energy before attacking. This also works well on enemies who are fleeing. Im not trying to go against you, i just have a lot of killing experience with reverse randa, and wanted to add some of my ideas. most of my battles are fought with no energy, you just have to balance what you use, and when.

Last edited by Tank; 01-31-2010 at 06:28 AM.