Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Default Altitude wide launch + demo restrictions

Altitude will launch on Steam/Direct2Drive/GamersGate soon, and to make sure our servers don't melt down under the load we will be implementing new demo restrictions.

From now on demo users will be limited to 3 hours of total play time. With Paypal (from our website), Steam, Direct2Drive, and GamersGate processing orders, everybody should be able to find a payment option that works for them. In addition, for this week only, Altitude will be on sale for $10. There has never been a better time to buy!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM

wow, this is going to change the game A lot
Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Generally I have always agreed with adding some sort of limit to demos. However, just a few questions for you guys to think about if you haven't already:

1. Is three hours the right amount of time for people to get a full sense of the game? To me something like 5-10 hours seems more appropriate.

2. What will happen to the demos who have already played for over 3 hours when this is implemented?

3. Have you put some sort of system in place to make sure demos don't just register for another account when their trial time expires?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM

holy. 3 hour time limit only. karlam laying the smack down on demos now that they're big ballers and got major publishers helping widen their player base
Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

I approve of a limited time demo.

But I do think that if you are taking that approach, that all five planes should be playable during the demo period, though maybe not all three perks for each plane.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Let me take this moment to give a warm and pleasant goodbye to all those wonderful freeloaders, moochers, leeches, parasites, guttersnipers, flunkies, lackeys, spongers, deadbeats, loafers, washouts, bums, and overall failures. You will be greatly missed by someone... just not me.

-Maimer
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
Let me take this moment to give a warm and pleasant goodbye to all those wonderful freeloaders, moochers, leeches, parasites, guttersnipers, flunkies, lackeys, spongers, deadbeats, loafers, washouts, bums, and overall failures. You will be greatly missed by someone... just not me.

-Maimer
Bye Maimer!

nah
Okay I appreciate the special and if there's anything i Can do th thatnk you guys for being so generous let me know - but expect me to be fail-miranda-ing around now!
Has the special actually commenced already?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 AM

hEY WHAT?!?! 10$ I just bought 2 account and i pay 15 each! i want my 10$ back, is that possible? or u can just send me another key to my email.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:35 AM

I just bought 2 accounts and payed 20 each...
Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 AM

I bought it a couple hours ago, it's great. Though maybe you guys should maybe expand the content that demo users get.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
I bought it a couple hours ago, it's great. Though maybe you guys should maybe expand the content that demo users get.
False, current demo has plenty of content. And karlam, THANK you for this limit, see ya later demos...
Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 AM

I could have saved 10 dollars and used that to buy more chocolate. :<
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM

3 hours does seem a bit too short.
I am/was a demo user who logged about 90 hours on my demo account. Definitely got the most of the demo.
I don't recommend they get that much time, but at least 5 hours.

I guess playing the demo for so long makes me a bit of a freeloader, but to be honest I didn't really feel limited by the demo's limitations. I thought I would buy the game but never got around to it. And I was never really pushed to buy it since I could kill things just fine with my planes for the most part, with the exception of league matches. But even in those I could be the bomb runner and could hunt people down in my loopy.

I'll get the game eventually, but my internet is so lousy at the moment I can only play in the AM. Until I can get a better connection it would mostly be me playing skirmish with bots.

I guess this change will finally push me to get the game and hopefully the change will help altitudes population get larger so I can come back to a more thriving game when my connection is fixed.

Last edited by Gunner; 12-04-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:06 AM

10$ sale is tempting! I'll buy it tomorrow on Paypal. With a launch on Steam I think any any population decline from demos leaving might be made up by Steam demos paying for the game.

Last edited by Sarah Palin; 12-04-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:

-Maimer
You seem like an angry person.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
2. What will happen to the demos who have already played for over 3 hours when this is implemented?

3. Have you put some sort of system in place to make sure demos don't just register for another account when their trial time expires?
I would like to know the answer to these, too.
It seems to me quite hard to prevent the registration of another demo account, but:
1 - Every 3 hours a new registration? After a couple player get sick and buys the game.
2 - Every account is linked with the email, so to register a new account you should change the e-mail, too. People is gonna prefer to buy the game if they wish to continue playing. :P
Old 12-04-2009, 11:11 AM

is it 3 hours of play time or three hours after you register?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM

it's 3 hours of total play time
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosconi View Post
wow, this is going to change the game A lot
Yeah its going to be fun
Old 12-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Should probably give demo access to all planes if they can only play for 3 hours. Anyway, exciting stuff. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
3 hours does seem a bit too short.

I am/was a demo user who logged about 90 hours on my demo account.

I thought I would buy the game but never got around to it.
Do you see why your opinion isn't going to be counted?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM

I hope you guys get a good player response, this game and the devs deserve it
Also, the server aren't flooded with loopies any more yay!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM

I noticed a massive decrease in demo players today and yesterday, looks like I just found out why.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM

when will it expire...i think on 10$?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:

-Maimer
So how do you really feel about them?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Looks like theres only about 2 hours til it launches on Steam. I can't wait to log in and see so many players
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM

When you buy the game now, do you have to start a new account or you continue with the same account as you are in?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

You can continue with your old account. When you buy the game you will receive a registration key via email: simply log in, you will see the "Demo Expired" popup, click "Enter Key", and paste the key from your email.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Yeah I saw...Now you can buy from Serbia .
Demo players have 3 hour limet time?
And what is someones ID adress changes when he restarts the computer
he can create new accounts?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triped View Post
Do you see why your opinion isn't going to be counted?
I simply meant it took me a good amount of time for me to get into the game. The first three hours I played were fun and frustrating, not only because I didn't have the full version, but also because 99% of people were better than me. After three hours, I would not have enough time to decide if the game was worth it or not. At first I thought buying the full version wasn't worth it. After probably 20 hours of play I realized how badly I wanted the full version though I never got around to it. My case is probably a bit extreme, but I still don't think 3 hours is enough. I'm not suggesting anything radical, just two more hours.

To be honest I thought your comment was pretty rude. Telling me my opinion doesn't matter, an opinion which I consider well thought-out, is disrespectful.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I simply meant it took me a good amount of time for me to get into the game. The first three hours I played were fun and frustrating, not only because I didn't have the full version, but also because 99% of people were better than me. After three hours, I would not have enough time to decide if the game was worth it or not. At first I thought buying the full version wasn't worth it. After probably 20 hours of play I realized how badly I wanted the full version though I never got around to it. My case is probably a bit extreme, but I still don't think 3 hours is enough. I'm not suggesting anything radical, just two more hours.

To be honest I thought your comment was pretty rude. Telling me my opinion doesn't matter, an opinion which I consider well thought-out, is disrespectful.
Triped didn't say you were an insignificant person not worth listening to. He just pointed out that to the developers, a person in your case would not change their opinion of how long demos are allowed to play. You mentioned that you played 90 hours and yet were still not able to decide whether to buy or not. Yet you complained that 3 hours is not long enough. In order to satisfy a person like you, the developers would have to push hour limit to 90+, which they cannot reasonably be expected to do.

On a side note, 90 hours is a friggin long time to decide whether or not to buy a $20 game or not. Some people get effing married after only spending 90 hours with each other.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 PM

well to be honest I think, 3 hours is really not enough to get into the game. My first 3 hours were looong time ago...but I think, you really start getting the game after a longer period of time.

I think the limit should be about 8 till 10 (max) hours. It's not too much, but can at least learn to kill someone and enjoy it.

PS: BUT! if the amount of players coming in to the game will be really THAT huge (after the steam release) - then it's not that needed to expend the limit.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Yeah... I kinda agree 3 hours is too little.

Think of FF VII for example (I know it's a totally different type of game, but ignore that). If you played the first 3 hours and only saw the Midgar slums would you buy the game? I probably wouldn't.

5-10 hours is acceptable I think.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
Triped didn't say you were an insignificant person not worth listening to. He just pointed out that to the developers, a person in your case would not change their opinion of how long demos are allowed to play. You mentioned that you played 90 hours and yet were still not able to decide whether to buy or not. Yet you complained that 3 hours is not long enough. In order to satisfy a person like you, the developers would have to push hour limit to 90+, which they cannot reasonably be expected to do.
I figured that would be the case which is why I said 5 hours would be good in my first post and second. Note how triped quoted sections of my post but left out my suggestion of 5 hours. Because he purposely left out the part I used to defend my idea it felt like an attack to me.

Anyway I don't want to drag this thread off topic anymore, so does anyone think that 5 hours is too much time?

Last edited by Gunner; 12-04-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 AM

Yeah, I agree that 3 hours is too short, especially if you go into a server filled with vets who can 2-shot demo loopies.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:34 AM

I have to agree with everyone else in that three hours seems too short. For a new player, it might take an hour just learning how to fly. Then they might spend an hour playing bots because they're not confident enough to play online, and then spend their last hour in the beginners server doing nothing but killing turrets.

Why not implement a demo that allows you to play until you reach a certain level, say 45? That way, they can still get a taste of almost everything (which was the original point of the demo) without giving them too much "free play". This way, people who are REALLY bad can still experience the higher perks without having to worry about a time limit.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:42 AM

I also agree that level limit is a better idea, than a time limit one. Although here may occur a "new account" problem.

So I think the limit should include both...let's say - 10 hours (per IP) or till 45th level.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 AM

corrected for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYLY View Post
Yeah, I agree that 3 hours is too short, especially if you go into a server filled with vets who can 1-shot demo loopies.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:04 AM

I am now an official Alti user.

I will still mainline Loopy however. It was "in" to hate on the plane because of hordes of demo Trackers (like me cough cough). Now that demos are limited I think Loopy will get some respect.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
I am now an official Alti user.

I will still mainline Loopy however. It was "in" to hate on the plane because of hordes of demo Trackers (like me cough cough). Now that demos are limited I think Loopy will get some respect.
I hope so. Until now, I have tried to refrain from playing loopy because I didn't want to look like a giant noob.