Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Testing Mouse Controls: /mouse true

The last patch includes a new idea we've been testing for mouse control. The intent is not to replace keyboard (or gamepad) control -- rather we'd like to offer a more casual control style for mouse-centric users.

Please try it out and tell us what you think, simply open the chat window and type:
/mouse true
Then start moving the mouse to control your plane. You'll probably want to set up some key bindings to shoot with the mouse as well:
Options -> Controls
Click the second (empty) button next to "Fire Primary", then left-click with the mouse to bind fire primary to mouse-left
Click the empty button next to "Fire Secondary" -> bind to right-click
Click the empty button next to "Use Powerup" -> bind to middle-click

To turn simply place your cursor where you'd like to go. Move your mouse cursor away from your plane to adjust throttle (red region next to plane = deliberate stall, red-green region = fly at slow speeds, solid green region = normal full throttle, orange region = afterburner).

Note: this is an extremely rough test implementation -- a full implementation will include a pretty direction/throttle bar, custom mouse cursors, etc.

Please post any and all thoughts on mouse control here. If you have friends who struggled to learn the game with keyboard controls, ask them to try mouse mode. Any and all feedback, especially from new users and users who were frustrated with keyboard controls, is greatly appreciated. We'd love to hear your ideas for improving the current implementation and dealing with some of the new issues it presents (e.g. black bars on edges of map).
Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Couple quick first impressions:

--It feels like turning is a bit easier. Maybe it's just a side effect of looking jerky, or somehow using the mouse allows you to change throttle faster.

--Bug: when holding a charge with miranda (both laser and trickster, don't have TA yet so can't try -_-), I'm unable to warp.

--Miranda reverse also feels awkward: you have to move the mouse to the other side of the plane immediately, or you'll begin to turn. With a couple tries I can get used to it, but its still unsettling.

--I can't figure out how to use reverse thrust.

--Sniping style weapons, such as HC or trickster, even laser, are now MUCH easier to hit how that you have extended "crosshairs". Granted, there's still a slight lag between the line and your plane's actual heading, but in an indirect way, those weapons have been buffed.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Yeah we didn't even try to make Miranda and Reverse Thrust work with this implementation. I'm thinking most hardcore users will eventually move to keyboard controls, but we'll probably do -something- for reverse etc if this does eventually become an official part of the game; suggestions welcome.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM

- Controlling the plane thrust FOR ME is much more difficult with mouse than with the keyboard. In particular i keep afterburning/stalling accidentally when aiming at enemies.

- I agree with ryebone, long range weapons (HC, charged shot and pew-pew spam) are easier to aim.

- KLF.Step was saying to me that he couldn't enable the mouse control (he is on a Mac).
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Yeah it may not work on some macs -- we'll fix that if it becomes an official control option.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Time to dig out the old mouse control jokes!

edit: tried it without rebinding, not bad

Last edited by argonide; 04-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Doesn't feel that casual. The less direct controls, and the fact that you basically steer with a 2D polar coordinate system instead of buttons for controling the seperate parts of that make it feel harder actually. Especially on planes that have a lower turning speed.

And i agree that aiming of long range is actually quite a bit easier, including the ball. Some shots that would be considered very nice shots with keyboard are basically point and click with mouse.

Which might warrant, if mouse mode is to stay, to allow servers to choose if they allow mouse mode or not maybe?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM

I would definitely rather have that long beam pointing where my plane is going, not where the mouse is aiming. I kept shooting when the beam was lined up.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM

somebody duel me with mouse controls!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Then get online, Zidane!!! jk

It seems the mouse cursor should be hidden when mouse control is enabled. And how about making the direction bar get shorter when you aren't at full throttle, to show acceleration/deceleration?

First impression: it works pretty well, but then I really like keyboard controls.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Played for a bit, some thoughts:

- Throttling down (without stalling) seemed harder than it should be. Maybe increase the yellow area for this?

- Landing is a bitch on mouse control.

- One weird unintentional side effect of this: it makes you play like a newbie again, which can be good for testing. I suddenly had a whole new sympathy for all the "omg loopy is OP" posts from new players.

In the end, I guess I just think that trying to casualify Altitude might be a lost cause. It's a multiplayer-only game with nothing but competitive modes, and that limits your audience in a pretty specific way I think. IMO you'd be better off adding a WASD+mouse control to try to seduce FPS players rather than trying to go with a pure mouse setup to try to get the popcap crowd.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 PM

Agree with Dio 100% I recommend enabling mouse for directional control and using keyboard for throttle. Also, I'll duel you with mouse anytime, Zid
Old 04-10-2010, 04:32 AM

the boundary gets messed up when u use mouse true. This can cause the throttle control line thingy to shift away from ur plane. i think the middle zone should be a bit smaller so you dont have to move the mouse so much to change speeds.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurripilot View Post
I recommend enabling mouse for directional control and using keyboard for throttle.
My first idea was the same as you wrote here. Then I thought more about it, I saw how easy was to just take HC and click on enemies, and I changed my viewpoint.
IMHO, if you do this expect an invasion of randa and heavy cannons. Balance would be completely torn apart. Right now only the limitation of the throttle bar (mouse cursor must stay near the plane) keeps this problem at minimum.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Well your plane doesn't immediately snap to the position of your mouse, there's a delay while your plane's nose follows your cursor. Unless you're up close (which is already and easy shot), clicking on the enemy with your mouse will only work if you've allowed your nose to catch up to your cursor, which is and inefficient way to snipe, but a very efficient way to get yourself into trouble. Mouse control doesn't make deflection shooting (or "leading" the target) any easier, in fact it's pretty hard to do if you're clicking on your target. You still need to be able to predict your opponents movements and place a shot in the area they'll be flying through when your round gets there.