Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Default tbd_sketch

TYPEPARK

Heres the link to the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zv5kfy..._typepark.altx

Please try it, or put it in a test server if u have 1. If so, please post it in this thread.
Tx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg base.jpg (9.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg printscreen.jpg (13.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Mandrad; 06-30-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrad View Post
Heres another

Looks good to me... loads of bomb paths choices, turret dinamics, etc... only problem i see now is the fact that looks more randa map than it should!!! (i cant play randa - makes me braindamage).

Please comment.
Tx

PS - This took me 45 mins, to brainstorm and sketch, but I will not make more maps unless they get criticized. Tired of reading "this map sucks" in game comments when people dont express themselves at the proper timming. Unless im realy into something...
Dude this map is awesome! I'll have a look at the other maps you've made, but this is one is great, I can't wait to play it! What server are you planning on hosting it to?

-Dem
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Looks interesting, but like you say, it might have too many corners and small pathways that aren't really conducive to the way Altitude plays. I like the whole play on the letters of the word Altitude though. I think my biggest issue is with the "U" shapes. Generally though I think that if you opened up the chokes a bit it might work a bit better.

What's your plans with underpark (and possibly funnelpark)? Any chance you are going to finish the art up on those? I think both of those maps are really good.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 PM

yea maybe enlarge the map a bit more so everything has a lil more space. right now it looks like 2 explos laying mines could own that map
Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Agreed with the others in that there's too many tight points, especially near the T's and the U's. Spreading them a little further apart would make this map pretty good. I'm going to assume that the triangles are turrets?

Here's a few suggestions:

1. Shorten the stems of the T's a little, so if you're a bomb carrier hanging out around the blue dots, you can go either over the T and bomb or go under it. Right now it will take too much time to choose a route and the defenders will be able to easily move into position to block you.

2. Flatten out the A a bit, because the base is at too steep of an angle. When the base angle is that steep, lobbing becomes a bad option.

3. I'm worried that the bottom route (the bottommost) to bomb is going to be too hard to stop, you can easily go under the base and bomb it from the back. To fix it, flatten out the A a bit so that the turrets are pointed directly at the entrance, and maybe add a bottom turret. Finally, lower the spawn points a little.

Agreed with maimer in that tbd_underpark was an awesome map. When are you going to finish it?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 AM

Looks pretty good. I guess I really just need to play it to give descriptive feedback. Otherwise, i'd just be reiterating what the others have said.

Please finish tbd_underpark, mandrad! That map was excellent!

Edit: The gaps between the t's and the l's, along with the gaps between the t's and u's could be wider. Nobodyhome's analysis of base angle is something I notice from looking at it. Still, I need to play it when I get the chance.

Last edited by Herodadotus; 04-10-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Hey guys,

I cant multi quote ( )so...
______
...it might have too many corners and small pathways that aren't really conducive to the way Altitude plays... I think my biggest issue is with the "U" shapes... What's your plans with underpark (and possibly funnelpark)?
______
Underpark; is "finished" but i ****edup and have to do very small graphic retouches to it. Tuff weekend, and week ahead, but i might finish it by tuesday or wednesday (i hope). I created a monster (2.4 Mb) and im not happy with that!! In test its very jumpy!!! Game plus 3 levels, 2 of them with parallax!! And a lot of transparencys! I tried to optimize it, dont know if can be better. Only way i see it now is by lowering graphics resolution.
I will send the file to u maimer right after finishing this post and i presume u will substitute the actual test file (at ACE COMBAT6x6 TBD server). Tell me if i should change anything in parallax or wherever. Its perhaps moving too much. Sry in advance if Nausea cames up ))))
Funnelpark; damn plane art... i realy am away from it! Not satisfied with what i have. But, as i told u, i will return to it soon. I admit this tbd_type thing excites me more at the moment!

The U shapes; i thought of it when designed it. My idea is to create a very narrow "turret sight" (like 5 degrees left and 5 right) so that if u passed by hit runing u dont get killed (nor maybe hit) by it - might work!?

_____
... maybe enlarge the map a bit more so everything has a lil more space. right now it looks like 2 explos laying mines could own that map.
_____
The fact that it is tight and has several bomb paths, and after turrets taken out top and bottom paths get to be fast, might make it not very apealing for explos!? Not sure of this...

_____
... Shorten the stems of the T's a little... the base is at too steep of an angle... I'm worried that the bottom route (the bottommost) to bomb is going to be too hard to stop, you can easily go under the base and bomb it from the back. To fix it, flatten out the A a bit so that the turrets are pointed directly at the entrance, and maybe add a bottom turret. Finally, lower the spawn points a little.
_____
I agree with the T's. Opening that particular chokes looks mandatory.
The steep im not so sure. No lobs for sure, but the gap over the base is what makes it apealling on going to that dangerous spawn zone! If lob is more easy people wont go there. - Maybe turn the A 5 to 10 degrees.
I agree the bottom turret must be more efective. And it is for sure the one most easy to kill! Maybe bring the base some pixels back and adding another turret?

Very gratefull for the feedback

Last edited by Mandrad; 04-10-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Is this better? I think this might work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbd_typepark2.jpg (19.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 AM

I still think that the bases could be leveled out a bit more. Maybe level the A out so that the line of symmetry of the A is flat.

Also, having spawns that far away from the base hasn't worked in any good maps, but I'm not saying that it will never work. Might be best to just wait till play testing to see if it works or not.

All in all it seems like this design is good enough to make a prototype map out of so we can see how it plays out.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 AM

It goes by the name of TYPEPARK.

Its prety clean and weights something like 120Kb Is this a record?
I dedicated + 30 mins brainstorming the original layout and 1 hour and a half to edit it - not much... but its on

Please try it, or put it in a test server if u have 1. If so, please post it in this thread.
Tx in advance!

Heres the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zv5kfy..._typepark.altx

Image preview and link at the head of the thread.

Last edited by Mandrad; 06-30-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM

I added this version to the tournament servers.