Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

View Poll Results: Buff reverse thrust?
Yes, boost reverse thrust! 33 62.26%
No, don't boost reverse thrust! 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Default Reverse thrust

I'm not gonna make this a long post or anything, but reverse thrust needs a buff in any kind of way. It's not being used in the competitive scene for all I know. Except for the reverse time anchor randa build (1dm league come on) and the sniplane build. This blue perk needs some heavy buffing for it to be used in the competitive scene.

Suggestions
1. Give it more oomph so you get started reversing faster, this would allow fast escapes out of tough situations.

2. Let it use even less energy (or no energy) to make sure you can fire and fight back when you are reversing.

3. Let planes with reverse thrust be immune to emp (logic special, stronger kind of engine)

4. Increase the normale throttle rate even more, the current boost to throttle rate is neglectable.

5. Give reverse planes a bit of turbo and/or ultracap. Just enough to make it balanced.

6. Increase the current speed of ball/bomb carryin

7. (Sunaku's idea lol) Reverse scoring gives 2 goals ;D

8. Increase the top speed of the plane when reversing

9. Change the way reverse works so that you can actually shoot while you're flying.

People saying no, please post your motivation!

1, 2, 4 and 6 are most reasonable and easy to implement imo.

Last edited by Boko; 05-19-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM

I'll never use it anyway, so I voted no.

People don't use it competitively because there's no advanatge in flying backwards.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCM View Post

People don't use it competitively because there's no advanatge in flying backwards.
there are a bunch actually

I'm too lazy to go through Beagle's many posts, but it's in there somewhere
Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

Then why make it a perk? If that's the argument, they should make special servers (like bouncy for example) in which planes can reverse.

It's a perk and it needs to be balanced.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM

It's almost useless unless you use flexi wings, and even then it is still pretty useless.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
It's almost useless unless you use flexi wings, and even then it is still pretty useless.
it's only useless if people don't use it right
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 PM

I just don't see any possible buff that would make me wanna give up turbo or ultra for it.

Ace Instincts got nerfed too, a couple months ago, because it wasn't as used as those 2. You still don't see many people using it... it's just not worth it.

Last edited by DMCM; 05-17-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just don't see any possible nerf that would make me wanna give up turbo or ultra for it.

Ace Instincts got nerfed too, a couple months ago, because it wasn't as used as those 2. You still don't see many people using it... it's just not worth it.
You might want to look here

And all comments saying that it won't be useful blabla here's my response: if it's not gonna be useful or good, why make it a perk?

Suggestion 5, that might appeal you DMCM: Give reverse planes a bit of turbo and/or ultracap. Just enough to make it balanced.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 AM

Heh, yeah sorry. All the constant talk about buff and nerf... didn't even notice I switched them.

Well, I agree there shouldn't be a useless perk. But there had to be a huge change in reverse to make me a believer. There's only 2 or 3 people who use reverse for real and that use it well. I would prefer replacing it with a completely different perk.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 AM

Reverse is an interesting and fun game mechanic. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it should be replaced. I don't use it either, I suck at it. That doesn't mean I want it taken out of the game. If you want it to be competitive, buff it or work with it until you're teh pwnz with it, but don't just rip a perk out of the game.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 AM

Reverse is the most interesting (game mechanics-wise) and skill-rewarding blue perk. It's the only perk (flex is the same but much less so) that entirely changes the way you fly. And since it's so hard to use, it's much easier to isolate balancing it to the competitive scene, since limited people have the skill to utilize it (no screaming about it in pubs). So yes, buff it if at all possible.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

Suggestion 6: Increase the current speed of ball/bomb carrying! Just got this idea I'll edit the OP with all suggestions..
Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 AM

Now this is NOT a half bad idea. Reverse thrust should be, and could be, the best bomb running and ball handling perk. If it makes you faster, with a little more energy and little more ability to recharge faster, then why would people not use it. I can't even begin to explain how often I wish I had my reverse thrust on, especially when I am bomb running. I would still use it now but I want my energy faster so I don't.

+1 for buff
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 AM

I love reverse, but that's probably just because without it I always end up flopping around like a fish.

The real problem with it is that it takes too long to go throttle all the way down, go into a stall, and start reversing. It's just impossible to use in combat, at least as far as I can tell.

If throttle speed were increased when you've got reverse thrusters, it would be possible to (for instance) reverse past someone who's chasing you, and hit them a couple of times before flipping around and pulling out of your stall. It would be kind of like a half-assed Miranda. Unfortunately, as things are right now, they'll just blow you out of the sky before your reverse thrusters kick in.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 AM

rev thrust shouldnt be taken out bc it's a ****load of fun. i got it a few times in a full random game in the captains server earlier and it was awesome being able to move like that. i agree about the buff though. at this point it's just not close to being equal to the other perks so i would not play it in a competitive game.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Reverse is fine as it is. It isn't more widely used cause it's not easy to master and most people aren't willing to spend the time needed to master it.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlopes View Post
Reverse is fine as it is. It isn't more widely used cause it's not easy to master and most people aren't willing to spend the time needed to master it.
So you're saying that nobody mastered reverse enough? (nobody is really using it competitively, only for fun)
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
So you're saying that nobody mastered reverse enough? (nobody is really using it competitively, only for fun)
Beagle and I'm pretty sure uberknarf (or some other person with "knarf" in their name) have both mastered reverse. Unfortunately, both of them have seemed to stop playing Altitude.

I'm sure there are still active players that can use reverse without crashing all over the place, but that's just not good enough to be useful in competitive games (or even pubs, for that matter). If we're going to buff reverse it should require no energy to reverse, have some sort of auto-stall function that enables quicker activation of the reverse engine, and be more efficient at carrying the bomb (because right now it's so goddamn slow with the bomb).
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Pig Bomb used rev with anchor and trick i think, he used it well sniping people, although i haven't seen him either for a loooong time =[
Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
At least beagle, and some other people I don't know but that seem to be very well known around here, can kick some serious ass with reverse HC biplane.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM

You guys are not understanding the point. Reverse fun is a **** load of fun but the problem is, it is NOT use competitively.

Now, I could easily use reverse thrust and snipe SO many people in public games but in a competitive match, I would never use it because it isn't as useful. There should not be any perks that are useless in the game.

Don't say "it isn't useless, it's just really hard to master"

Well, so is Time Anchor, but people still use it because even if you master it, it still helps your team. An amazing player that uses reverse thrust just is not as useful as someone who would use more energy on "useful" perks.

If we were to buff up this perk, people would use it more. We don't need to make it "easier" but more useful. If it allowed me to move 10% faster with 5% more energy and 15% faster energy regain, I would totally use it to bomb run with.

Reverse Thrust and Rubber Hull both need a serious buff!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 AM

A boost of rev thrust would give the game a completly new (and I think originally intended) level.

As it is, it's good fun, but as it was already pointed out going into rev thrust is troublesome. Furthermore going from rev thrust to normal flight is hard was well, unless you go vertical. It'd be nice if you go do a horizontal J-turn, from reverse to forwards.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
You guys are not understanding the point. Reverse fun is a **** load of fun but the problem is, it is NOT use competitively.

Now, I could easily use reverse thrust and snipe SO many people in public games but in a competitive match, I would never use it because it isn't as useful. There should not be any perks that are useless in the game.

Don't say "it isn't useless, it's just really hard to master"

Well, so is Time Anchor, but people still use it because even if you master it, it still helps your team. An amazing player that uses reverse thrust just is not as useful as someone who would use more energy on "useful" perks.

If we were to buff up this perk, people would use it more. We don't need to make it "easier" but more useful. If it allowed me to move 10% faster with 5% more energy and 15% faster energy regain, I would totally use it to bomb run with.

Reverse Thrust and Rubber Hull both need a serious buff!
Quote:
Your Wrong. Beagle Proves it plainly here.

After you see that, tell me if you can still say that Reverse Thrust isn't used competitively.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post

After you see that, tell me if you can still say that Reverse Thrust isn't used competitively.
It isn't being used competitively, 'cause Beagle left you know. And I doubt if Beagle was all that effective with reverse thrust in the competitive scene to begin with. I want videos of him playing sniplane in matches vs organized teams.

All in all, how can anyone not say that rubberized hull or reverse thrust needs a buff? Sure a few players master it and utilize it right, but the fact that only a few players master it just shows how much they need a buff.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post

Ajuk grow up. Nathor and Beagle and Pig used reverse. I think Nathor still plays but the other two are gone.

If you want to claim that the perk is used competitvily, then try to get on a good clan and play some APL. If you hit tab and look at every blue perk for each team, you WILL NOT find reverse being used.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 AM

I love Rev!!! And I love this idea, Do it. At least let us try it out.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

2 to 1 at the moment!

I wonder what the new players have to say when they all get the reverse thrust. (yes this is a bump)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:11 PM

In my opinion, the perks doesn't NEED to be balanced.
Some can exist simply beacuse they are fun.

This is opposed to the five planes, which obviously should be more or less as good as eachother.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammelonkel View Post
In my opinion, the perks doesn't NEED to be balanced.
Some can exist simply beacuse they are fun.

This is opposed to the five planes, which obviously should be more or less as good as eachother.
Why only fun if it could be balanced and fun?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM

I would honestly like testing a massive buff on rev. If it proves to be too OP, then we can revert it, but it can be hard to see this perk being absurd in the sense other OP planes/perks were. After all, the Ace Instinct buff was massive, and it has had minimal impact on competitive play. (I admit, I do use it occasionally. It's a good perk to be able to 1-up another HA trickster with)
Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Rev thrust

I like using Rev Thrust it certainly has helped me get out out of some tricky situations and given me the upper hand in some 1v1 situations but those times are rare.
As for Beagle's great use of it that video could have been shot with noobs

I see this perk as more of a gimmick than a real competitive perk. Lets just try giving it a buff in some, we can always,,, ah,,, reverse it
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
I see this perk as more of a gimmick than a real competitive perk. Lets just try giving it a buff in some, we can always,,, ah,,, reverse it
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
7. (Sunaku's idea lol) Reverse scoring gives 2 goals ;D
He must have bumped is head last time I shoot I'm off the skies :P

(now I'm doomed, I should had just kept my mouth shut)