Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Default {arr} servers moved to better hardware

Hi guys! Most regular ball players have noticed a bad lag problem on the {arr} servers lately. Well, I was running on a friends VPS with no guarantee of having enough resources at disposal, so eventually he needed the resourced for something else running there. It took me some time, but I finally got my own VPS (currently paid for the next year) with more than enough juice for Alti servers. 2GB of ram, loads of CPU and more bandwidth than dozens of servers would need.

So, currently there are 4 new {arr} ball servers, running better than ever! Remember to update your favorite tags to the new servers. Let me know if there are any problems.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Out of interest who do you host with?

I've got a Tagadab VPS running my altitude server - dirt cheap and more than good enough.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigemi View Post
Hi guys! Most regular ball players have noticed a bad lag problem on the {arr} servers lately. Well, I was running on a friends VPS with no guarantee of having enough resources at disposal, so eventually he needed the resourced for something else running there. It took me some time, but I finally got my own VPS (currently paid for the next year) with more than enough juice for Alti servers. 2GB of ram, loads of CPU and more bandwidth than dozens of servers would need.

So, currently there are 4 new {arr} ball servers, running better than ever! Remember to update your favorite tags to the new servers. Let me know if there are any problems.
Thank you very much indeed! If you'd set up some PayPal donation thingy, I'd show my appreciation
Old 09-22-2010, 04:10 PM

thanks gemi!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Don't believe him! I played arr servers today and we had a different, huge kind of lag which caused the game loop to slowen. Everyone was playing slomo!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM

unfortunately boko is right, something is wrong with the server. Afaik this happend twice so far and lasted for 30-60 seconds.
Other then that, the server is ok and the pings seems to be good for us europe players.
We already told Gemi on our forums/irc about the issue and hopfully he can figure something out.

@Mortva: Gemi is setting up paypal sometime so we arr members can give him some bucks, i guess he wouldnt mind about donations from other ppl too
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

I'll totally chip in a few bucks, I always play on arr servers. Make the lag go away!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm monitoring the server to see what causes the lag. I currently have absolutely nothing else running on the server and 99% of the resources are unused, so it's weird that you saw this kind of lag. I'll blame the configs I've done as I'm sort of a Linux noob, so I'll see if I can spot a problem and fix it.

If this happens again, please let me know the exact time and duration if possible. This should help me to dig logs to see if I can find anything.

And yeah, I'm going to setup a PayPal account for arr members to donate, but I guess I'll make it public as it seems like others are willing to donate too. I'm of course going to be 100% transparent and letting everyone know the exact costs and donation amounts. The server cost me about 340€ for the next year (I'll double check the amount) and the company is called WebFusion in case someone is interested. To be more specific, this is the exact product I got: http://www.webfusion.co.uk/virtual-p...erver-hosting/
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagnot View Post
@Mortva: Gemi is setting up paypal sometime so we arr members can give him some bucks, i guess he wouldnt mind about donations from other ppl too
I certainly would, plz remind me when the time is "ripe"
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm monitoring the server to see what causes the lag. I currently have absolutely nothing else running on the server and 99% of the resources are unused, so it's weird that you saw this kind of lag.
Then I'm afraid there is only one technical explanation left to this issue : Hagnot is too fat.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 AM

I've received no further problem reports so everything seems to work fine. Yay!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 AM

I was on today and we had to leave (kicked, was awesome tho) the old servers...just as a suggestion, don't leave the old ones running, otherwise we'll all still go there.

/other side of the pond
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Mirage View Post
I was on today and we had to leave (kicked, was awesome tho) the old servers...just as a suggestion, don't leave the old ones running, otherwise we'll all still go there.

/other side of the pond
Ooops, I was supposed to rename the old servers to something like "Please use the NEW {arr} servers" for those who have the servers tagged as favorite. I apparently forgot to upload the new server config file... Consider it fixed.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
If this happens again, please let me know the exact time and duration if possible. This should help me to dig logs to see if I can find anything.
11:56 GMT, duration: about 20 seconds. I was alone on the server. Suddenly ping was going higher and higher up to 999ms. Then it went back to about ~50ms for me.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Today at around 10:30EST we had several lag spikes to the point that the chat wasn't even working, and everything was seriously screwed. Lasting up to 30 seconds.

Got disconnected for packet loss once.

I also noticed that the ping's are about 25ms worse for the new server then for the old ones - i'm in NA. - old servers are at about 110-120ms new ones 135-145ms
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2k View Post
I also noticed that the ping's are about 25ms worse for the new server then for the old ones - i'm in NA. - old servers are at about 110-120ms new ones 135-145ms
I second this; pings are higher, but when the new servers aren't bogging down, they generally feel snappier.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM

Hmm, need to investigate these spikes further. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Also regarding ping: Ping might be better or worse depending on where you live as the servers are in another country altogether.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM

There's probably one router on the way that has a hickup here and there. However, although I think that it's not your or your server's fault, thanks for further investigations.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Also regarding ping: Ping might be better or worse depending on where you live as the servers are in another country altogether.
Yeah, uh, we noticed that. DNS hits support this.

Fix the spike crap, tho
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM

Didn't spot anything weird yet so I'll contact customer support and see if they can find a cause.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Tanks. Wish there more like you on our side of the pond, and relieve some of the stress Dojo sees.