Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zero
Default Rawr why was i banned from ladder

I kicked York after the game because he was calling me a nigga which is rasict imo
PS. im black -_-
http://i54.tinypic.com/2lwq6hi.png
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altitude 2010-09-27 20-11-19-598.jpg (19.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Did you vote kick during the game or after? if it was after i believe that the ban should be lifted..
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM

it was after
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Then you probably should get your ban lifted... i dont know tho..
Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM

TBH, Zero, firstly york calls everyone a nigga, secondly you are not exactly a noob to the forums so you should know that you posted this in the wrong section. I doubt any ladder admin will take you seriously now.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM

I banned u and as far as im concerned it will stay. Ive let incidents of u vote kicking players in the past slide cause ive been momentarily lazy (thats been without a valid reason) and i think this time ur just gona have to do ur time unless u can convince another admin that u shouldnt. This is ur 4th violation too so maybe u should just be more careful in the future.

He did call u a nigga but i really dont see u creating any kind of strong case for york acting out of racism here. Looks more like ur just trying to find a reason to kick someone u dislike. If any other admin wants to lift this ban tho i dont really care, i wont do it but im ok either way.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 PM

umm that's not really an appropriate word
Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM

From the Rules Thread

If you see any misconduct going on in the ladder servers, please report them in this thread or by contacting any one of the active admins, either in game or PM. Remember, admins are not always on the servers and the more people that help in reporting undesired activity, the more the servers will be rid of misconduct. In your report, please include evidence of misconduct, i.e. screenshots of chat or the console (press ~ for seeing votes, etc). To repeat, a full set of screenshots that sufficiently prove misconduct is REQUIRED.

11) Racism/Bigotry. General immaturity. Excessive or unrelenting trash talk targeting specific players.

6) Initiating a votekick on a player for any reason other than something that is a bannable offense on this list.

Just sayin
Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM

>_>

People have bent the word to such a degree that anything that even remotely reminds them of racism leads to things like this thread.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM

so since zero is allegedly black this would be racism? If someone says spec chat nigga i hardly consider that as racism so like i said i suggest u find another admin to get u unbanned and while ur at it (if u succeed) file a complaint against york for being racist. Im done discussing this pm nobo or someone about it ban stands as far as im concerned.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingbo View Post
so since zero is allegedly black this would be racism? If someone says spec chat nigga i hardly consider that as racism so like i said i suggest u find another admin to get u unbanned and while ur at it (if u succeed) file a complaint against york for being racist. Im done discussing this pm nobo or someone about it ban stands as far as im concerned.
He is black.. i heard him talkin on mumble..
Old 09-28-2010, 07:26 PM

It doesn't matter if he's black or not, imo. That shouldn't change the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
>_>

People have bent the word to such a degree that anything that even remotely reminds them of racism leads to things like this thread.
/agree. Although I'm not a fan of that word or any variation, the word 'nigga' in today's society really has nothing to do with racism anymore. See: definition above for actual racism.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 PM

so the reason for me getting a 21 day ban is because some1 called me a nigga and i voted for them to be kicked and it takes more then 1 person to kick someone so if the majority of people dont enjoy that person in the game at the time isnt that why rule 12 was made?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM

see 4th violation if ur unhappy about the amount of days ur banned. rule 12 is a sketchy rule. if ppl dont like york as a person u could argue that he should be banned under rule 12 which would obv be pretty unreasonable if he hasnt done anything to deserve being banned. saying spec chat nigga is not a reason to kick someone imo.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM

no its the reason i was banned
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM

as i said i dont buy that this would ruin ur game environment to the extent that york would have to be kicked rather than u just disliking him and finding first reason u can get to get him kicked to **** with him.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM

I agree with Ingbo fully on all terms except the length, it might a bit over the top. But I feel Ingbo rightly judged the situation. Nigga is stupid internet term that the hip kiddies use. It wasn't York being racist, just stupid, and if stupidity was bannable I'd have a field day.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 PM

I'll have to agree that 21 days is a bit much...but I'm just chillin over here
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Hey Zero,

You are as always welcome in New England, and I will continue to kick any Kraken-type who doesn't understand when his racist jokes are falling flat.

You guys do what you want in ladder, but I can't believe the **** I've already seen Zero put up with.

Vi
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

York can be pretty abrasive and rude, it's hardly surprising that he pissed someone off, especially when he thought he was being racist (although I agree that York almost definitely didn't intend it that way). A 21 day ban seems a little out of line given the circumstances.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 PM

ait ill change the lenght of the ban since storm thinks so and hes been an admin for longer than me. pm me or comment in this thread about what u would find suitable.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Ok look guys, im not racist. I call EVERYONE niggas. Thats my thing. I will take into account when zero i around and I will not use that term around him. SOrry Zero.

ALSO!!!!!!

Zero, your not getting banned for this lol. You vote kicked me another time, another map. During a game. So yea, I wont post the screenies here because I sent them to an admin. It was a dif map, a dif time. THats the kick your going down for.

I can PM you with i zero, if youd like it, you 'fine gentleman'
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Ok look guys, im not racist. I call EVERYONE niggas. Thats my thing. I will take into account when zero i around and I will not use that term around him. SOrry Zero.
Terms that are co-opted by certain social groups are not meant to be used by other/dominant social groups. Thus terms that are often offensive are co-opted by the offended group in order to dilute the power of those words and claim them as their own. Or, in simpler terms: if you are african-american and call an african-american friend "nigga," it can be acceptable because both of you understand the power dynamics and history of the word "nigg*r" and are choosing to claim the word as your own. This use is questionable, but as a white person I don't have much in the way of valid reasons to argue with it. If you aren't african-american, you have no business using the word.

Or, if you prefer wikipedia (italics are mine):

Quote:
In practice, its use and meaning are heavily dependent on context.[5] Presently, the word nigga is used more liberally among younger members[6] of all races and ethnicities in the United States, although its use by persons not of African descent is still widely viewed as unacceptable and hostile, even when used without intentional prejudice.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 AM

yes york send me them
Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Shoulda just muted him. I've had York muted as long as I can remember.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Ingbo has 99 posts! Imo just neither gets banned. just warned.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM

YES! i know right
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGQ View Post
Shoulda just muted him. I've had York muted as long as I can remember.
lol no u dont, last time i seen u on we talked for a while, -.-
Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Even though this issue seems to have been more or less resolved, I don't understand the rationale behind "it wasn't meant to be racist." Just because people throw the term around indiscriminately, does not make it any more acceptable. What if I went around calling everyone fa**ot? "Oh, it's cool. I call everyone that." That type of mentality is insensitive and really is not constructive at all.

I realize that most of the time this type of behavior is not intentionally malicious, but seriously guys -- try to consider your audience when playing this game. Keep in mind that we have younger players to consider as well and that not everyone will speak up when they are offended.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 PM

younger players are usually what causes these problems tho...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlyte View Post
Even though this issue seems to have been more or less resolved, I don't understand the rationale behind "it wasn't meant to be racist." Just because people throw the term around indiscriminately, does not make it any more acceptable. What if I went around calling everyone fa**ot? "Oh, it's cool. I call everyone that." That type of mentality is insensitive and really is not constructive at all.

I realize that most of the time this type of behavior is not intentionally malicious, but seriously guys -- try to consider your audience when playing this game. Keep in mind that we have younger players to consider as well and that not everyone will speak up when they are offended.
"All men a created equal". If blacks are supposed to be "equal" to whites and every other race, why can they say a word that whites can't? I think it's bull****. If blacks can say nigga around their friends then I can say nigga around mine. The same goes with the "er" variant. But would I say it in racially heterogenous company? Nope. York saying it regularly in public is certainly immature and retarded. (Oh dang, I just offended the mentally handicapped.)

Regarding the children, I can't see/hear someone say "consider the children" without hearing Michael Jackson say it. Kids learn EVERY bad word in school. I knew them all by the 3rd grade. If a kid is old enough to install and play the game, then he almost certainly is already familiar with the "bad words". If he's not, well, he's gonna learn sometime. A kid who is 12ish is plenty old to me. I'm not defending those who swear every other sentence. But a good bleep or bang or boom or SHIZZAM is necessary sometimes.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 AM

Let's be straight here. Zero is unbanned. All parties involved have been contacted and this issue has been settled.

Jrathe, thank you for sharing your upper-middle class, ralph lauren sporting, northface toting, expensive private college attending opinion on how black people should feel. It will be duly noted.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
Jrathe, thank you for sharing your upper-middle class, ralph lauren sporting, northface toting, expensive private college attending opinion on how black people should feel. It will be duly noted.
If signatures were still around, this would be in my sig like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Let's be straight here. Zero is unbanned. All parties involved have been contacted and this issue has been settled.

Jrath, thank you for sharing your upper-middle class, ralph lauren sporting, northface toting, expensive private college attending opinion on how black people should feel. It will be duly noted.
I actually go to a public university, with tuition paid for by scholarships.

I gave it more thought after posting. I came to the conclusion that I can't sympathize with the feeling of minority groups about slurs referring to them because I'm not one. I rescind most of the first paragraph of my previous post.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 AM

Ooh, you guys have pretty nice lookin dorms.

But yea, my point was that you can't take a universal logical approach to race in the US because it is such a convoluted issue. So cheers.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Ooh, you guys have pretty nice lookin dorms.

But yea, my point was that you can't take a universal logical approach to race in the US because it is such a convoluted issue. So cheers.
Nice looking?! I would like to see compared to what. I go to the University of Arkansas. I lived in BY FAR the worst dorm, relative to the rest of campus. Relative to a lesser institution however, it may be pretty nice. I liked it. Reminded me of the hood streets I was raised on. And that northface I was wearing in that pic was a womens small. I hope you noticed that it was about 6 sizes too small. lol

And in your previous post, wouldn't the most important adjective to describe my socioeconomic status, and the one you left out, be "white"?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrathje View Post
And in your previous post, wouldn't the most important adjective to describe my socioeconomic status, and the one you left out, be "white"?
What do you think I am? A racist?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 AM

Yes. Against people without smushed faces.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM

if u want ppl to stop saying nigga, remove hip hop
/ thread
Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

lol