Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 AM

Default Mouse vs Keyboard

I've heard snatches of commentary on this, but never a real discussion, per se. Mouse control seems to be snubbed by many of the pros out there, particularly because it makes randas useless and rev difficult. My questions/comments are these:

1. Is mouse control viable? I personally use the trackpad on my macbook. Sounds insane, but I'm decent at it (6-5 in ladder so far, though that's hardly enough to establish a record). I like it because it allows for very easy throttle control and steering. It also screws with thermos sometimes :-)

2. If mouse control is sent from hell, any tips for adapting to keyboard? Basically, if you have made the switch, advice would be appreciated.

3. Rev with with mouse. I assigned the "a" key to reverse, so it is POSSIBLE to use rev thrust. Not at all easy, though. Has anyone had success with rev and mouse? My guess is no, bc there are only like 3 good rev players in the first place, and they're all vets.

And in case anyone cares (which they don't), my in-game name is now Slight (formerly Major Boredom), since I switched to the non-steam client.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

In my opinion most of the old players prefer keyboard over mouse control because back in the days it was the only way to control your plane. Mouse control only appeared last year. We learned to play with keyboard and got used to it, so learning a whole new way of flying the plane would have just been useless.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

It is personal preference. If you do better with the mouse then use it.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

What Woken said. You will get used to whatever you choose over time. Just make sure it gives you access to all controls swiftly.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:34 PM

Whatever works for you. Even the 360 controller if you're into that.

Me, I use the keyboard, but I use the numpad instead of the normal arrow keys. Ever since I played FFVII for the first time I've done that. My fingernail is wearing through the coating on the key. So just do what you like.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Im using mouse+keyboard almost since start. There r some pros and cons bout using it imo.
+perfect aim. WHen u using mouse, u have cross, so u can aim to any distance. But dont forget, that biplanes bullets flight a bit lower than throttle line.(im not use this, coz to aim u have to move ur mouse to far out plane, this cause lost of maneuverability)
+lazer. Throttle line infront of plane copying lazer line, so everytime u know, which planes u can get and which u cannot.
+i play with mouse everywhere, so its easy for me
-playing trickster/lazer. If u want to reverse, u have to move ur mouse quick to new direction, or u just circle to old direction. After hours u can handle this, but u have to keep this in mind.
-landing.if throttle line not parallel to base, u can get ur repair, so u have to move it inch by inch to find right position

About rev, i dont think, that there r some differences about both types. U can easy move ur mouse to back of plane and press down arrow, or what u use to speed down. Ofc u have to choice rotate only variant.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 PM

I can't NOT use the mouse. And mouse control with Randa is simple for me. Then again im using a trackball (a stationary mouse) so im not moving my arm all over the place...

|HF| bin
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 PM

I use the mouse, whenever I'm not using Rev. Basically, I find it's use optimal most of the time, however sometimes keyboard is preferable. I'm relatively new, but I noticed a large jump in my playing ability do to my mouse. The amount of control that you gain is very obvious, as it makes tight manuevers more simplistic.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm pretty new, but I use mouse for shooting and steering and keyboard for throttle/turbo.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally got this game about 5 months ago on a free weekend. One of the selling points for me was that you could just sit back with a 360 controller and chill while still being competitive.

Checked out mouse control before they added mouse+keyboard at the same time support. I saw the benefits to the aiming aspects but pulling the mouse around as your throttle was pretty meh.

I stuck with the controller up until the mouse+kb update came out. Having the line that makes angle/directional shots on ball a little bit easier and still having the same throttle control as kb/controller made that the way to go for me. Plus i play a lot of fps's on pc so i guess having a hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard felt more natural to me.

No matter how much you've played with only keyboard or controller there are just going to be certain shots that you hit a higher % of the time with the mouse.

Randa actually goes pretty naturally with the mouse and keyboard with some practice.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks for responses everyone -- maybe I'll try flying randa with mouse after all.

And on the mouse + rev note, try assigning the "a" or left control key to deceleration. I totally suck at rev still, but it is *possible* to use it with this setup. Even when I don't use rev, the easily accessible deceleration key helps for landing on bases, and makes mouse throttle a little nicer.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naethy View Post
3. Rev with with mouse. I assigned the "a" key to reverse, so it is POSSIBLE to use rev thrust. Not at all easy, though. Has anyone had success with rev and mouse? My guess is no, bc there are only like 3 good rev players in the first place, and they're all vets.
No. I fly biplane with flexible wings and rev thrust. I have tried using mouse control with a key bind to reverse but it is just too slow and cumbersome. I have never tried measuring my Actions Per Minute while flying but i know it is enough to make me exhausted just after a few games.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naethy View Post
And on the mouse + rev note, try assigning the "a" or left control key to deceleration. I totally suck at rev still, but it is *possible* to use it with this setup. Even when I don't use rev, the easily accessible deceleration key helps for landing on bases, and makes mouse throttle a little nicer.
Maybe you already know this and just prefer using pure mouse throttle, but there's a setting at the top of options you can switch that lets you use mouse+KB without one overriding the other.

Using rev bi-plane isn't really an issue with the mouse + keyboard setup as long as you've switched that setting.