Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Reverse Racing Map - ffa_crazyrace

So here it is a reverse racing map:

Download and test it here.

Last edited by mlopes; 10-26-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM

ban beagle from these servers! he will win. always.

:] jk
but for srs, itd be fun i think
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

looks nice, testing

update: just played for about 20 minutes, going full speed both clockwise and counterclockwise, very fun and challenging map

imo take out the powerups as the map itself in rev is going to be challenging enough and getting walled constantly just takes the whole point out of racing, i'd go so far as to say no repair no shooting no killing and just have a proper race as the map is quite challenging to speed around in rev, very good map if you're looking for something to practice reverse on

i will add it to my rev HC guide with your permission as a great training aid for that purpose, looking forward to more and a server to compete with others on

don't nerf the difficulty, if you get complaints make a beginner's course or something, this one is awesome at an intermediate-to-experienced level, maybe even make an expert level one that is harder as this could really take off and people might get too good for it

tl;dr keep developing this one and make more!

Last edited by Beagle; 10-13-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
looks nice, testing

update: just played for about 20 minutes, going full speed both clockwise and counterclockwise, very fun and challenging map

imo take out the powerups as the map itself in rev is going to be challenging enough and getting walled constantly just takes the whole point out of racing, i'd go so far as to say no repair no shooting no killing and just have a proper race as the map is quite challenging to speed around in rev, very good map if you're looking for something to practice reverse on

i will add it to my rev HC guide with your permission as a great training aid for that purpose, looking forward to more and a server to compete with others on

don't nerf the difficulty, if you get complaints make a beginner's course or something, this one is awesome at an intermediate-to-experienced level, maybe even make an expert level one that is harder as this could really take off and people might get too good for it

tl;dr keep developing this one and make more!
I was not completely sure about those power-ups, but I think you're right, I will remove them. I'm thinking that the spawn point should be a little higher cause I always bump on the ground before reverse kicks in.

You can add it to the rev HC guide if you want.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 AM

• Added a background
  • Spawn point is a little higher now
  • Removed power-ups
Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Very challenging, these turns are murdering me D: I want to say 'make the passages a little wider' but I'm gonna defer to beagle's 'don't nerf this' assessment.

If you want to quickly get rid of the white dots, the 'magic wand' selection tool will be you bestest best friend for eva, so try experimenting with that.

Oh, and I would suggest actually making this a team map of some sort. That way, you could have bots spawn harmlessly in a corner somewhere, and then all the racers could stack on the other team and not deal with loopys EMPing them while they try to rev. Just a thought. Also, players wouldn't be able to shoot each other, so it would just be pure racing goodness.

Everything is a bit dark, too. Try lightening up either the tires or the background, but not too much, just a little.

Last edited by silent skies; 10-13-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent skies View Post
Very challenging, these turns are murdering me D: I want to say 'make the passages a little wider' but I'm gonna defer to beagle's 'don't nerf this' assessment.

If you want to quickly get rid of the white dots, the 'magic wand' selection tool will be you bestest best friend for eva, so try experimenting with that.

Oh, and I would suggest actually making this a team map of some sort. That way, you could have bots spawn harmlessly in a corner somewhere, and then all the racers could stack on the other team and not deal with loopys EMPing them while they try to rev. Just a thought. Also, players wouldn't be able to shoot each other, so it would just be pure racing goodness.

Everything is a bit dark, too. Try lightening up either the tires or the background, but not too much, just a little.

Thanks for the tips, I already made a lighter version of the background, but I think I'm going to try making it a little lighter.

I'm thinking I may try to make a ball map using this theme one of these days.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 AM

funnnn it is pretty damn hard though. i agree about not making it easier. beagle, do you use rubber hull? that's the only way I can get through this unless i go slow.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

of course not! flexi wings all the way, rubber is cheatin'

btw please fix the background it hurts my eyeeeeeees
Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 AM

Cool looking map, I'll have to check it out.

From the picture I'd like a better contrast between background and the walls though, especially since it looks challenging.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 AM

god... now i gotta try it with flexi again...

edit: tried it. omg so effin hard. i can only get halfway. rye and i were wondering if you are actually rev'ing downhill too, because that seems impossible. i want a video...

Last edited by drunkguava; 10-14-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM

• Changed background
  • Removed some light pixels from the tire sprite
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkguava View Post
edit: tried it. omg so effin hard. i can only get halfway. rye and i were wondering if you are actually rev'ing downhill too, because that seems impossible. i want a video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e526kvxItZ8

on the background: what would be cool is if you make the actual flyable racetrack a dark, black background, like for example planepark of ballpark or whatever it's called
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 PM

beagle is my hero
Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 PM

that was.. nice, very nice.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Beagle is just too good, so insane. I didn't know you were aloud to flip over like that though.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 PM

holy **** that's incredible
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Imma go practice and see if I can get up to that speed.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 PM

looks like ~30 seconds is the time to beat!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM

I just did almost as good as beagle on the first 3/4 of the map but those last few turns are what get me.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 AM

oh, its on now then!

i'll practice and get a really good time to set a real challenge
Old 10-15-2010, 03:59 AM

**** you, youtube, **** you

lol
Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to SPeciaL

it's so f****** hard to find the timing on rev afterburn with mouse
Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
oh, its on now then!

i'll practice and get a really good time to set a real challenge
nonono, don't do that. It is going to take me about a week to be able to get close to beating your score.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 PM

finally tried this last night... damn beagle you made it look easy! 30 seconds is tough. how strict are we on revving though? i noticed you broke out of stall at the end there
Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered View Post
finally tried this last night... damn beagle you made it look easy! 30 seconds is tough. how strict are we on revving though? i noticed you broke out of stall at the end there
It must be 100% rev and no rubber hull.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlopes View Post
It must be 100% rev and no rubber hull.
so is beagles run legit, because he did get out of the stall.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
so is beagles run legit, because he did get out of the stall.
Idk, I'm no referee, I'm just the guy who made the map.
We should probably check with someone who's god at reverse if that's breaking reverse of it's just part of how that kind of turn is made when reversing.
Angehell, Stardust, JWhatever and SPeciaL were there when the idea for this appeared, and they were the ones who thought of the rules, and are way better than me at reverse. Like I said, I'm just the guy who happened to make the map. So probably they're all more qualified than me to judge if the run was legit.

Last edited by mlopes; 10-26-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM

well someone who is god at reverse is the person who we are trying to judge. Obvsly he will vouch for him self saying it is a legit rev run. i guess we could ask special.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM

i didn't intend for it to be a legit time-trial run, i uploaded it because people were confused as to how it was possible to run it at speed

when i get some free time i will give ffa_crazyrace my all and try and clock an excellent time without hitting any walls

also coming out of stall is unavoidable in many reverse situations, see the upper left part of the map where i come out of stall before hitting the hairpin, i don't do this on purpose it's just a result of downwards momentum, if someone wants to clue me in to the ruleset i will make sure to observe if and when i do a time trial
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM

I've been thinking about that and my opinion is that reversing don't always mean being staled. Some movements requires us to come out of stal, if you turn 360º, there's always a moment when you're not staling.

So I'd say that as long as the main thrust is never used as propulsion method but only as a break, it can be considered full reverse.

What do you think?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
i didn't intend for it to be a legit time-trial run, i uploaded it because people were confused as to how it was possible to run it at speed

when i get some free time i will give ffa_crazyrace my all and try and clock an excellent time without hitting any walls

also coming out of stall is unavoidable in many reverse situations, see the upper left part of the map where i come out of stall before hitting the hairpin, i don't do this on purpose it's just a result of downwards momentum, if someone wants to clue me in to the ruleset i will make sure to observe if and when i do a time trial
Yeah, I found myself wanting to come out of stall by instinct... revving that much was definitely unnatural.

My two cents: by definition if you are revving you are in stall. If you are out of stall, you are moving forward and are in "full" or "normal" control. In my opinion a rev race should be completely in stall. While this would up the difficulty factor, it becomes more objective to judge (just watch the red stall warning).

-Fundamentalist rev purist
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM

I have to agree with Beagle though, in the fact that there are situations in which it's inevitable to pop out of the stall briefly. So I guess this would go back to map design if you want pure 'stall' rev.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 AM

On this map, it is possible to do the whole thing without breaking stall. Everything but the last 2 turns, even beagle broke out of his stall there and I haven't found a way not to on those turns.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered View Post
Yeah, I found myself wanting to come out of stall by instinct... revving that much was definitely unnatural.

My two cents: by definition if you are revving you are in stall. If you are out of stall, you are moving forward and are in "full" or "normal" control. In my opinion a rev race should be completely in stall. While this would up the difficulty factor, it becomes more objective to judge (just watch the red stall warning).

-Fundamentalist rev purist
while it is very objective to judge it is weird because it seperates it from real reverse tactics

i'd say just decide whether the little turn at the end is allowed or not (going forward then reversing back in an m pattern), i'd imagine it isn't, it was just something i did automatically on the spot

again, don't take that video as a time trial attempt by any rules, its a educational showoff
Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
On this map, it is possible to do the whole thing without breaking stall. Everything but the last 2 turns, even beagle broke out of his stall there and I haven't found a way not to on those turns.
actually, last 2 turns are possible w/o breaking out of stall! just took me a million tries, was ugly, awkward, and not the least bit graceful.

beagle, i agree w/ you on just deciding whether or not you can do that for this map. sorry, the send part of my prior post was in response to mlopes and not addressed directly to you.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM

oh no, i meant decide whether that move is allowed by the 'rev race rules' or what have you in general, not just a pardon for that one map

what i'm saying is i can't fly by any rules when i don't know what they are
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM

I sat down and recorded me trying a couple times, here were the best times I got.

The audio got screwed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbg2OjU0sR0

Last edited by Nikon; 10-20-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 AM

impressive!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 AM

very nice. like the audio too :P