Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Server News
FAQ Community Calendar

Server News Announcements related to privately hosted servers.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Ledow's Football Server

Just to let people know that I have a server and to try to stop the questions I find myself answering every time I'm on it:

I have a ball_football-only, hard walls, 20 min round, 14-player (may raise if necessary but probably won't lower) server up at:

109.109.244.250:27276

It's in Globalswitch 2 datacentre, which is situated in London Docklands, so UK players should all get good pings, as should the majority of Europe.

It's likely to stay there for as long as I keep playing altitude and a bit more - I am renting my own server to host some SVN repositories and other stuff that's important to me and that server sits absolutely idle while I'm not doing those things (and none of them are particularly CPU/bandwidth intensive), so I slapped an Altitude server on there to fill in the time seeing as it's effectively "free" to me.

The altitude process is launched with extremely high priority because, well, it doesn't matter if my SVN server takes a second to respond but it does matter if stuff interferes with a game. The only time the server goes down is when there's a security update that requires it, and they are manually triggered by myself only when the server is empty.

The server isn't likely to go anywhere without notice. It's not going to be swamped with other tasks because it's just an offsite backup for some of my personal things (and none of them are publicly-visible services, and they all run with a much lower priority). The bandwidth used is a phenomenally percentage of what I can use so there's nothing to worry my limits. It's unlikely to change IP or, for that matter, settings because it's just a fun server for myself. It's been running for a few months already and is often busy with real players in the evening (GMT).

I'm on it quite regularly and people can reach me on the forums if they really need to, but I have a strict "fun game" policy so bans are more likely for constantly trying to join with a high ping or obviously throwing the game than other things. I don't really care if people are learning, or practising, or playing but the server is there for entertainment - if you're doing something that spoils people's fun, expect to leave permanently. If you want to try and shout and organise your team that's fine up to a point but it is, at the end of the day, a game. Get on with your life and let other people play how they want. Win or lose doesn't matter, so long as they aren't messing up the game deliberately.

So, if you fancy a warm-up, or just play altitude for fun, or just want some easy kills to get to the next rank, or the other football servers are busy, come and join us. And have fun.

Other Server

There are now other football servers up at 87.106.231.225 on ports 27276, 27278, 27280, 27282 and 27284.

Also, to quell any of the rumours that I've been hearing, they all have identical configs and all have standard, unmodified damage. Always have had, always will have. The only settings I change are user permissions (i.e. who can run commands, who can vote, what they can vote for, who's an admin, etc.), map rotation lists (i.e. nothing but football) and the name/IP of the server - I don't play with anything that will affect gameplay (even the default ping limit). Personally, I think it's just people getting their ass kicked by the regulars who think that the server is somehow mystically enhancing their damage. It's not true.

EDIT: Turns out that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Apparently, there are a couple of "fake" Ledow's servers. It's a sad way to gain traffic, I assume, I don't know. I haven't joined any of them but I'd suggest people mark them as bad given that they rely on "passing off" in order to get customers.

The ONLY Ledow's servers that I know of are on IP's 109.109.244.250 and 87.106.231.225. Anything else isn't run by me. My servers also have a cron script that tells you people banned but that's easily replicated and I have no idea if the "fake" servers are using something similar.

If you want to join a server of mine, check the IP, or look for me online and ask about it. I (obviously) have no control over anything that's not on those IP's and I suggest you mark any "Ledow" servers that you see on other IP's as "bad" in your server list.

Last edited by ledow; 01-12-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added info on fake Ledow servers.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Hi Ledow,

First off thanks a ton for the football server. But I've seen many a time people request (and sometimes change servers) because 20 minutes is rather long.

We have another UK server that is 10 minutes football that constantly is full so your server will be a great addition and attract more people IMHO.

Would you mind changing it to 10 minutes? Just a request and frankly I don't mind if it's 20 minutes is what you want it at.

Thanks again for a nice server!!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 AM

I agree with Tecno. 20 minutes per round is too long.

And by the way, please give someone RCON or Admin access in case something goes wrong (cheaters, etc.). One admin per server is too low IMHO.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow
The altitude process is launched with extremely high priority because, well, it doesn't matter if my SVN server takes a second to respond but it does matter if stuff interferes with a game.
bahahahaha

ps love the server dude, very refreshing to get hard walls football.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration View Post
And by the way, please give someone RCON or Admin access in case something goes wrong (cheaters, etc.). One admin per server is too low IMHO.
Preferably give admin access to someone you know very well. I know people who abuse admin access because the server owner granted it to them when they asked.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Default Request for unban

Hello, my name is Ducky (my Altitude name is the same as it is here in the forum). I'd like to request my banning be reversed from your server Ledow. If there is another forum which would be more proper for my request, please let me know where I may find it.

I was banned for typing too much and making insensitive jokes. I understand that my texts were disagreeable, and I apologize for that, but I was not aware that I was breaking any rules and I was either not warned, or did not notice any warnings. I've always followed server rules (not just in your server, but in all servers) when I've been aware of them, and have always responded to admin instructions by fulfilling any requests given to me.

I play altitude rather often, usually frequenting football servers. Many ball-players know me, and enjoy my participation to the point those on my friends list will follow me to an empty server knowing that it will quickly fill up (which had happened in your server on more than one occasion prior to my account being banned). Tekno, for example, has been on the receiving end of many passes from me, and I'm sure he and many others would confirm that I would follow the rules that you have implemented if I were permitted to play in your server.

Once again, I'd like to apologize if I broke your server rules and thank your for your time.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM

100% back up Ducky - very shocked that this player has been banned. Ducky is well known on the servers and when playing there are always shouts of Duck! from himself as well as other players. True this can grate on your nerves if you are on the opposing team since it generally means you are getting yer ar@e handed to you by him... but still you want to play against GOOD players right?

I for one would totally stake my gaming rep against repealing this players banning. Its a shock and a disgrace especially after such a full apology like that.

PS I was also banned by Ledow. My infraction was for one time stating the obvious. His server is laggy. Not the my brothers in the other room downloading donkey pr0n kind of lag either - the worse kind, server side lag. Maybe Ledow is downloading pr0n i dunno.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 PM

While I appreciate your support, Yank, we shouldn't be insulting. I was wrong for using insensitive language, and it's Ledow's server to do with it what he will.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [J/K]SeDuCTiVe.DuCKy View Post
While I appreciate your support, Yank, we shouldn't be insulting. I was wrong for using insensitive language, and it's Ledow's server to do with it what he will.
So are you saying I should change back my name now that i have it set to "yank-Ledow can eat me" ?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 PM

You should make a tbd server too, hard wall please. ty Need more euro tbd server imho.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM

hi there ledow you have just banned me for twenty years when i asked if it was me you were warning and i asked, "can i not call him a knob?"

no answer just the ban,

i am by no means a cyber bully or someone who types all the time and generally just play my game but 20 years for saying knob, seriously?

i would like you to reverse it since i do use your server when friends are playing

thanks for taking the time,

on altitude i am LF::Ragnorak
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Looks like Ledow's having a bad day

Last edited by Demuyt; 01-15-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnorak727 View Post
hi there ledow you have just banned me for twenty years when i asked if it was me you were warning and i asked, "can i not call him a knob?"

no answer just the ban,

i am by no means a cyber bully or someone who types all the time and generally just play my game but 20 years for saying knob, seriously?

i would like you to reverse it since i do use your server when friends are playing

thanks for taking the time,

on altitude i am LF::Ragnorak
I can vouch for Ragnorak that he is almost always never talks much (especially in pub games).
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Another Request
My friend also banned like for 20 years or like something, he said he did not understand the situation, he keeps disconnecting and connecting when he caused a lag. I think he was warned about this but his English is not well enough to understand, he is now aware of what he must not do. Please let these banned people enter.
His Nick: F-16 Teo
His Vapor ID: 97680c6c-4714-4642-b381-2fb0f09bd07a

There are no much ball_football servers, I think all ball teams appreciate your server, thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Question help me!!!!!

i can't make a server from windows i have altitude off steam is it possibale to make one?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM

I made a stupid joke about homosexual people today during game at your server. I apologise for my own stupidity. Shouldn't have done that. You banned me for 20 years: after one hour I can already say, lesson learned. Is it possible for you to unban me? As I already said, i'm terribly sorry!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Only 175 199 hours to go!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM

I've just added some info to the original post concerning the second server that's up, and hopefully clarify that neither server has ever had "greater damage" settings.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 PM

You cant change damage in the server settings anyway. Only thing that affects actual gameplay that can be changed is wall damage modifier.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Server ping-limit on both servers has been set lower to ease user complaints.

300 ping is a bit high for such a game, anyway, even if it's only fleeting and randa's with such pings cause huge "backtracks" where the server decides that actually you *DIDN'T* get the ball three seconds ago, etc.

Certain to annoy some of our American friends (one server in the UK, one in Germany) but to be honest, they'll never get a nice game on an EU server.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM

what is the ping limit? i get 120 ping there, am i good to go?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Attention members of the Ledow Lifetime Ban Club.

Ledow does not reverse bans (although he might now just to spite me). If you want to play football in his server so bad, just spend another $10 on the game and keep quiet. That's what I did and now I can play in his server all I want even when he is around. It's worth the $10 to me because I think his server is a fun place to kill some time.

I would prefer to be given a proper opportunity to make amends but that's just not how it is, and not how it's ever going to be. If you want to be a badass, Ledow's servers are not the place. He is highly sensitive and there are NO SECOND CHANCES. You may not even receive a warning. Any bad behavior will get you banned for life (Unless you have an extra $10).

If you want to do the crime, you have to do the time. See y'all later!

CLEF
Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM

Sounds like Ledow is netting Karlam some extra cash, good work.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyclef View Post
Attention members of the Ledow Lifetime Ban Club.
Well, I advertise that policy enough, that people should know it by now. I had someone ask me only the other day "How I manage to have a busy server with that policy" - I have a busy server BECAUSE of that policy. I don't think it's a huge shock that I ban heavily and even retrospectively (i.e. if you've done something while I actually wasn't around - I have "spies" everywhere... ).

And if you're *that* determined to play on a particular server that you buy another licence, well done, welcome back to the server and I hope you find playing on it as much fun as everyone else does... there isn't anything I can do to stop that or mitigate it. If you keep your chat sensible, play the game, etc. you never have to worry about a ban.

And, no, I wouldn't revert a ban, and similarly won't "hunt you down" and find out what your new vaporid is just to ban it. I don't care enough about it and you found a way around it at your own expense and have been sensible since (or you would have been banned again, just like anyone else). Not many people are willing pay $10 and change the way they behave in order to play on a server, and I think that's worth recognising.

Just for the record, the ban list is on 24 vaporid entries at the moment (not bad considering I get more than 200 unique players a week and it's been running for 6 months) . Seems to grow quite linearly. And banlists are shared between the two servers - a ban on one is automatically translated into a ban on both.

Last edited by ledow; 03-04-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM

and if you get banned on his server there is always my servers which are full regularly now during US prime time =P
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 PM

kyxoan rules
Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Hurray for capitalism in the Football servers market!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:37 PM

I don't know how much captitalism it is, I just know that my server(s) are hosted in professional data centers on enterprise hardware systems which results in little to no lag regardless of where you are from. I'm not sure how ledow's server wouldn't provide a good experience to a non euro, I personally never had an issue there when I wasn't banned but maybe something changed.

I also don't ban on a whim, generally you will only get banned if you talk a lot of crap or are trolling (taking the ball and spinning in circles in front of the goal) at which point I will generally friend you and try to discuss the matter with you. If I feel you just made a mistake, I will unban you about 5 minutes after you were banned. I think I've banned 3 people in a month and 2 / 3 got unbanned on the same day they were banned.

This is a game and it should be about having fun, not about looking over your shoulder for a banstick. Anyway,enjoy some altitude!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyxoan View Post
This is a game and it should be about having fun, not about looking over your shoulder for a banstick. Anyway,enjoy some altitude!
Fair play - some common sense. I will never bow to the p**** that is ledow. His server is laggy - telling him that is what got me a ban. Wow, i must be so disruptive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow
Just for the record, the ban list is on 24 vaporid entries at the moment
TOP 24 BABY! I feel sorry for you if you ARENT on his ban list. Sure the good players play elsewhere anyways.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Ledow, thank you for your server. It's a great lobby and time killer and the lack of constant swear words or 12 year old kids being dicks (see: post above^) is refreshing.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuyt View Post
Ledow, thank you for your server. It's a great lobby and time killer and the lack of constant swear words or 12 year old kids being dicks (see: post above^) is refreshing.
I was gaming when u were in nappies my friend.

This aint counterstrike - or xbox live or some dodgy chat room we are talking about here.
TBH I have YET to see a server where there are a ton of Kiddies annoying me in chat or stupid racist names etc.
Most servers are empty - and the ones that are full - people are having too much fun playing to get all bothered about causing hassle.
The community is just that small i guess.

Last edited by yankinlk; 03-06-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
This again.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

I don't wanna get in a stupid web argument, but I've seen you play and you were always cursing at everything. Maybe if you haven't seen annoying people on servers that is because you're too busy being annoying yourself.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I don't wanna get in a stupid web argument, but I've seen you play and you were always cursing at everything. Maybe if you haven't seen annoying people on servers that is because you're too busy being annoying yourself.
Screenshot or GTFO
Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinlk View Post
Screenshot or GTFO
Don't worry Demuyt, I got you bro.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
Don't worry Demuyt, I got you bro.

Oh Leggo <3

Yeah was about to post the same thing, haha.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Please stop de-railing this thread with nonsense or insults to the person who runs the server. If you don't like the way ledow runs his server don't play there. He's paying for the server and if he wants to ban EVERY player in the game that's his choice.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
Please stop de-railing this thread with nonsense or insults to the person who runs the server. If you don't like the way ledow runs his server don't play there. He's paying for the server and if he wants to ban EVERY player in the game that's his choice.
then he would have an empty server...................
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Exclamation Bots

there's no such thing as an empty server. bots play 24/7.

http://youtu.be/z5rRZdiu1UE
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyclef View Post
there's no such thing as an empty server. bots play 24/7.

http://youtu.be/z5rRZdiu1UE
It's possible to have a server without bots, ya know. (apl, ladder, etc)