Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Default tbd_origami park

This is just a sketch, and the reason why i posted few days ago the vertical vs horizontal thread (1st image).
I wanted to test those passages marked by the green arrows.
- - - - - -
2nd image is more polished and can easily be done, no technical issues.
This map (2nd image) layout its "roids" based and has exactly same size.

It has imo enough bomb routes, and lob paths. Base can be shot at from the midle - anyone aside randas is ok with that? (i cant randa and i am)
"Top route compensation" is achieved by torrets and bottom of the map bomb spawn.
- - - - - -
*Graphics/colours will be high contrast... needs a softer background of course.
- - - - - -
All criticism before editing phase would be prety much apretiated.
TY

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

EDIT:

Here´s file link. http://www.mediafire.com/?ja51r2pf4i7giik
I think it plays very good.
Testing will say more

Im going to send it to Mike so he can put it for testing on prose server.
Any other hosting servers please post here if u make it on.

TX

EDIT 2:
Here´s the last file update: http://www.mediafire.com/?fwtyoszl1hs7o1r
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ori1.jpg (52.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg ori2.jpg (51.4 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Mandrad; 11-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Although I really adore the concept of vertical "portals", I really don't think there should be many. I could really see Mirandas really harassing a team just by warping through the verticals near the base. Everything else conceptually seems pretty nice.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:48 PM

you mean horizontal right?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Even if vertical passages can be, only central can be allowed imo. Just imagine, u can go left(if u r red and then covered with little piece with turret go high. This passage vents to near base. I just remember mayhem and middleground, where low route is more longer and harder, but sometimes it works. This time imo this way is too easy
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

You can't make the map wrap vertically. The second sketch looks pretty good, look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Please check file at the first post.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Mandrad,

Sorry I never got your file - I just downloaded it now and it's hosted on prose.

Here are my suggestions (haven't played with 5v5 - but have played 3v3):

1) Many of your spaces seem too cramped for me. I feel like explodets would have a huge advantage in terms of killing but also not be able to navigate very well. Whether the trade-off for this is balanced I'm still unsure. I need mat or x in this map to clarify though

2) Graphic Designer Friend: Says he would prefer something other than just pink. He suggests adding some red tones to the rocks. After further consideration - he thinks maybe you should make the rocks paper-ish white because they are supposed to be origami with a darker background. I'm not sure how that would look but it seems like a possibility. Other people complained they really didn't like the red on pink while still others liked it. No idea what to tell you because I'm color-blind.**

3) The triangle in front of the base that is supposed to protect from lower lobs can sometimes kill you when you try and take off. Maybe lower it very slightly.

4) The top route is really really overpowered for time anchor. I'm not entirely sure how to fix that at the present moment though.

5) The little cracks next to the base are epic. I love the asteroids feel to them.

6) The turrets are set up very nicely except for the top. I feel like the time anchor path might be able to be countered by having a turret in that maze-like path from the top part.

** Note: In color blind mode the teams are red and blue. The red can sometimes get lost with the other colors especially to a poor individual who is color-blind like me.

If I think of more suggestions I'll post them later.

More suggestions:

1) Consider removing the top wrap-around. It's too unfair and is unnecessary. The map is fine without it

2) Remove the team powerup spawn. It should be neutral.

3) The way you spawn angled up is kind of strange.

Other than that (and the previous suggestions) the map plays very well. Good job <3

Last edited by mikesol; 11-12-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM

I agree with about every part of mike's post.

I was talkin to him bout it today
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
1) Many of your spaces seem too cramped for me. I feel like explodets would have a huge advantage in terms of killing but also not be able to navigate very well. Whether the trade-off for this is balanced I'm still unsure. I need mat or x in this map to clarify though

2) Graphic Designer Friend: Says he would prefer something other than just pink. He suggests adding some red tones to the rocks. After further consideration - he thinks maybe you should make the rocks paper-ish white because they are supposed to be origami with a darker background. I'm not sure how that would look but it seems like a possibility. Other people complained they really didn't like the red on pink while still others liked it. No idea what to tell you because I'm color-blind.**

3) The triangle in front of the base that is supposed to protect from lower lobs can sometimes kill you when you try and take off. Maybe lower it very slightly.

4) The top route is really really overpowered for time anchor. I'm not entirely sure how to fix that at the present moment though.

5) The little cracks next to the base are epic. I love the asteroids feel to them.

6) The turrets are set up very nicely except for the top. I feel like the time anchor path might be able to be countered by having a turret in that maze-like path from the top part.

** Note: In color blind mode the teams are red and blue. The red can sometimes get lost with the other colors especially to a poor individual who is color-blind like me.

If I think of more suggestions I'll post them later.
Tx for the reply guys,
Heres what i think of it...
1) That balance was always in my mind when creating. I dont know if i got it or not!? Explodets have either very tigh or large areas to work. Maybe life aint gona be that easy for them
2) Im also not sure about the graphics decor. My initial idea was to keep it sharp contrast black and white. Background cant be white cause some say it hurts the eyes so black and smooth!
I also dont want to go to paper textures, kinda tired of it, so this will probably stay as a more abstract origami. Cracks instead of folds.
For it is origami i wanted to put the Japanese/oriental feel to it. I didnt reached a conclusion on the right jap motive to use. Loads of details aint good for this gasme background. Im still brainstorming this issue. Ideas are welcome of course.
3) I had it bigger then i choped it so you can take-off in a straight line without touching it. Planes can crash in take-offs I would keep it but... whatever people decide...
4) I thought of it, and that is the reason why bomb is at the bottom of the map. But, yes, maybe it needs to be harder work.
5) Ive already headbanged some in editor test trying to decide the right gaps... no conclusion...
6) I changed the top turret position in the file i sent you by email but you wrote you download the one i posted here (not updated... i forgot) so... lets fix somethings after more feedback then ill send it to you again.

Tx a lot for the reply guys

Last edited by Mandrad; 11-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Further thoughts

1) Consider removing the top wrap-around. It's too unfair and is unnecessary. The map is fine without it

2) Remove the team powerup spawn. It should be neutral.

3) The way you spawn angled up is kind of strange.

Other than that (and the previous suggestions) the map plays very well. Good job <3

Last edited by mikesol; 11-12-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:09 PM

UPDATE

@Mike
I didnt removed the wrap around (yet).
I tried to gave it another chance by stretching the corridor the same size as asteroids. - The turret in the end of it its hard to get so, overall, this might be balanced. It takes time from picking it till droping it.
I made slight changes in the midle top object shape because i basicaly hated it.
Background isnt, unfortunately, my design, its a Kuniyoshy drawing, and i think it perfectly fits japan and war theme. Its free to use on non-comercial purposes so... im not sure if any sort of problem could came from here...

Here´s the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?pn22794qbw5fh1b

I dont know where the hell screenshots from editor go to, so here are 2 files (img1 and 2), 1 marking turrets, powerups, etc, and the other with graphics.

"People with servers", please upload it, because it looks to me this will be very good fun
Lets ear your opinions so this can be better.

Remember to test powerups timmings!

TYVM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img-1.jpg (36.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg img2.jpg (38.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Mandrad; 11-13-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM

I really liked the black polygons from the original screenshot =(

Not a big fan of the red or background either, but hey, it's your map.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
I really liked the black polygons from the original screenshot =(

Not a big fan of the red or background either, but hey, it's your map.
I love the red background
I liked the previous one even better but this one still is pretty awesome.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Hahahaha, I must confess, I miss the previous background. Color scheme is great though, FU's just an emotionally crippled young man who has lost his sense of aesthetic, you'll have to forgive him
Old 11-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Latest review:

1) Too short of a distance from cracks to base. Consider making map a bit wider while not increasing size of objects (not much though)

2) The map is too low focused. Needs to have the base moved slightly higher.

3) There are too many turrets. Consider removing one of them next to the base.

Edit:
4) While I really like the new colors many other people have complained. Some of them are blurry (both background and objects). Is that intentional?

Last edited by mikesol; 11-14-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Im afraid i havent played with others than bots... everytime i was on there was noone at prose.

1) I was realising this yesterday when playing roids. Still, i have the doubt, should i make it wider, it now has roids size, or should i get "that space" near the base by shortening the midle of the map?!
2) I was alwayss aware of this cause it is directly conected to previous point tight spaces (1) and of course the fact that the bomb is at the bottom of the map. I think the cracks also give the wrong idea of a easy scoring, due to the fact that if you pass it then the base is "just around the corner". Maybe with time people stop risking crashing at it and start using other paths.
Making the base higher is something ill surely do for a start. If it keeps lower focused after that, maybe removing top path and shortening map hight be the solution.
4) Idk what to say about its aesthetics. Theres no rule for the beauty, for people will always have diferent tastes. I wanted origami parts prety sharp, and a smooth background apealing to japanese culture.
The fact that objects are blury wasnt intentional, i realy wanted them razor sharp, unfortunately i think i cant solve this - ill try to work it from scratch at a higher resolution, but seems to me that its due to the fact that the triangles explore every angle and graphic cards dont deal to good with it... not sure about this...
Background imo is ok. Blurry shapes are better option than well defined shapes if we want to focus on moving objects above them.

Tx for the reply

Last edited by Mandrad; 11-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:03 PM

UPDATE

I changed base position and took cracks more into the midle giving with this more space near the base.
Cracks zone was lowered, giving more space at the top (inviting this way, people to use top path), and bottom crack gap was widdened.
Top wrap path wasnt touched.
Graphics comments i did before are rubish, map is now as sharp as i wanted.
Slight changes in overall look.

Heres the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fwtyoszl1hs7o1r
Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 PM

Would be nice to have this testing in a server... Anyone?
TY
Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 AM

Just did a quick ladder test.

IMO the map is just too high in general ... not sure what the pixel count is, but in-game in felt like it was 2x the height of cave. The top of the map is generally used maybe only 1/3rd as much as the lower areas.

If anything, I'd say just crop off the entire area that has the top wrap-around.

The graphics are crisp, yes, but the map filesize was ... 3.3 megs? That's a lot. A lotta lot. I'm guessing most of that is stemming from the background image. Most are under a meg ... people complained about chess being over a meg so I had to cut it back a bit. You may want to consider turning down the jpeg quality a tad on the export function, but it's up to you.

As for the origami itself, it's generally thought of as flat and unappealing ... I think the main problem is that the origami pieces are kinda disconnected and monochrome. You could spice it up by making each plane of certain object-clusters a different shade of red, and I'd suggest connecting the pieces that are very close together (the ones that make our brains assume 'oh, those three pieces are meant to be one chunk of origami paper'. To avoid changing the map geometry itself, you could simply fill in the gaps with a much darker shade of red, giving the appearance of origami that is folded inwards, such as seen here:

This might exponentially increase your workload, though ... if that bothers you, then I'd suggest just connecting the pieces together.

I think the background is neat --- it's nice to see some eastern stuff making its way into the map-pool. However, I disagree with the decision to have the background image bleed through the foregound ... origami isn't usually see-through, right? That aesthetics deicion is up to you, though.

I like it overall, though ... seems to have good potential.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Tx alot for reply,

I am aware of what origami shapes are suposed to look. Its only an alusion to it (origami) and in overall japan and its culture (that i love) - never wanted it to be realistic. This why there are gaps where the folds should be, why it is see through and there are no light/shadows giving it the 3 dimentional look. IMO this fragments make it all lighter. You can see it as leafes.
Also origami isnt proved to be invented in Japan - maybe it was China.
@ Map being to high - you have the same opinion mikesol expressed before this version. As i never got to play the map ;( (its hard for me to gather people) i have to trust you guys on this issue - lets just wait a little bit more to see if more people express themselves but i have no problem at all with croping top path.
@ file size - there was a time when files were twice this big (or more ) and i dont think that realy is a problem for people only have to download it once (well, once per version till its fixed ) anyway, i will compress it more in next version because that wont afect these graphics that much.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 AM

Well, if that's the direction you want to take for the origami pieces, then all the more power to you. I just got the feeling that the flat style was generally disliked amongst testers.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Close to 1 month , zero feedback after edit... gasp...
What else is new