Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Default tbd_poseidon

Hello folks,
This is my first map and my first drawing on the computer using a Wacom tablet. I hope you like the style. As the title of the topic says it's a TBD map. It is possible to support the other game types as well.

Details of the map
The dimension of the map is 4500px by 1760px.

Thinks to know:
- This is the improved version of Poseidon.
- I've (mostly) incorporated the feedback from the elite players that has been gathered by mikesol and XX1.
- You can damage the base hitting the from beneath (approx. 4-6 damage).
- There are no parallax backgrounds, because the sunrays use Color Dodge. Saving this layer individual will result grey sunrays.

Other things:
- There are two logos. Studio Wing, my company. Wing Eraser, my nickname. The color of the logos has been adjusted.
- For work in progress screenshots, go to my website www.studiowing.com

This map is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at www.studiowing.com.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Download:
Map altx: Right click, Save as
Full size screenshot: Click here

Thanks for downloading and testing. Feedback is welcome.
There won't be any update for next couple of weeks. In meanwhile gather feedback and post it here.

The next map is schedule end April 2011. I've do some commercial projects, because I don't want to eat dry breads for the next months.
If you got some leftovers, please donate so I can at least compensate the time I've spend to create this map. Donation can be done via this link:
Donate

Scaled

Arrows

FAQ
Which software did you use to create the graphics?
Photoshop CS5.

I got an awesome idea, could you do the graphics?
You can try to hire me otherwise good luck drawing graphics.

Can I adjust the map and use for personal usage?
Yes, you can. It's licensed under Creative Commons ANS 3.0 license.
See here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Did you win the contest?
I haven't entered the contest.

Will you enter the contest in the near future?
Probable no, unless the winning prize, deadline and requirements are valuable for the time I spend on the map.

Can I have the PSD file?
No, without the PSD it makes more difficult to adjust :P.

Can I use a part of your map for the contest?
Be fair. Do not enter a contest by using someone else project.

Will you create another map?
Yes, I still got plenty ideas. If the game still lives, I'll continue making maps. (But I do have the feeling the game is dying for the last 3 months).

Last edited by Wing Eraser; 11-11-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Keep the topic clean
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 PM

It looks awesome, hopefuly it plays well. From first glance it looks a bit too compact, maybe just widen it out a bit. Still just a feeling, havent' tested it yet.
Once again props for the graphics
Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Nice looking map Wing!

The graphics are superb also.

Nice website you have also.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

this looks incredible

maybe just widen it out a bit as stormich said, and possibly make the bases parallel to the floor? not sure how much angled bases impact gameplay, but it seems like too large a target for flight
Old 11-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
It looks awesome, hopefuly it plays well. From first glance it looks a bit too compact, maybe just widen it out a bit. Still just a feeling, havent' tested it yet.
Once again props for the graphics
It is a bit compact,but still playable. Don't fly to fast in the temple.
And thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
Nice looking map Wing!

The graphics are superb also.

Nice website you have also.
Thank you for the kind words.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
this looks incredible

maybe just widen it out a bit as stormich said, and possibly make the bases parallel to the floor? not sure how much angled bases impact gameplay, but it seems like too large a target for flight
ya if anything it should be angled the other way. like asteroids one, but it wouldnt fit the graphics as they are now so maybe just make it flat.
VERY VERY NICE GRAPHICS.

question: are the branches collidable?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
this looks incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
ya if anything it should be angled the other way. like asteroids one, but it wouldnt fit the graphics as they are now so maybe just make it flat.
VERY VERY NICE GRAPHICS.
Angle the other way! I'll think a fitting graphic for that. Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, the branches are collidable.

Last edited by Wing Eraser; 11-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Wow that looks awesome. Out of curiosity, how could we change the map contest to make it worthwhile for you?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Put it up on my server to test out (the server is called prose only) if you ever want to stop by and play it.

I've tried it out with some people and here are my thoughts:

1) The map is too small in length. The bomb can be grabbed and thrown for a full hit at the base in a matter of 2 seconds. I literally only have to warp twice with randa or hold afterburner for like a second or two with loopy or biplane to get from the bomb to the base.

2) The map is too cluttered - especially the inside of the building. Those gaps need to be a bit wider to not have explodets be knocking you around.

3) It's not obvious to me that you can actually fly up to the top of the building to get something. This could be because I'm color blind but it looks like there is the same type of outline of that top area as there is of everything else you can collide with. Other people in the server said the same.

4) It's not obvious where the bombs spawn. Perhaps you could add like a graphic on the map such as a circle that signifies the bomb will spawn there. It doesn't seem particularly logical to have the bomb spawn at the top of the building as well as below the building with the random power-ups cycling in between.

5) The graphics are stunning. It's been a long time since someone has released a map as pretty as this one.

Overall - great first job with the map. A few tweaks and I think this could be a really competitive map that people love to play. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more from you

Further edit: Played a 5v5 on this map with decent people. Everyone complained about red / orange being way too close in color to one another. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference (even to non color-blind people) on items like walls. Other people said the base felt too crowded. I like the fact that it's relatively easy to lob into it, though. More people said the map was too deep. Perhaps remove top bomb so low is utilized more.

Last edited by mikesol; 11-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 PM

So I played the map and it's pretty fun although small, reminds me a bit of Justice. Anyways adding to my previous post, please make the background a different color than white. I play with paralax off and I'm sure there are others and I'd like to have something easier on the eyes, maybe a beige color.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Wow that looks awesome. Out of curiosity, how could we change the map contest to make it worthwhile for you?
i told you Wing
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
i told you Wing
Haha, you were right!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
Put it up on my server to test out (the server is called prose only) if you ever want to stop by and play it.

I've tried it out with some people and here are my thoughts:

1) The map is too small in length. The bomb can be grabbed and thrown for a full hit at the base in a matter of 2 seconds. I literally only have to warp twice with randa or hold afterburner for like a second or two with loopy or biplane to get from the bomb to the base.

2) The map is too cluttered - especially the inside of the building. Those gaps need to be a bit wider to not have explodets be knocking you around.

3) It's not obvious to me that you can actually fly up to the top of the building to get something. This could be because I'm color blind but it looks like there is the same type of outline of that top area as there is of everything else you can collide with. Other people in the server said the same.

4) It's not obvious where the bombs spawn. Perhaps you could add like a graphic on the map such as a circle that signifies the bomb will spawn there. It doesn't seem particularly logical to have the bomb spawn at the top of the building as well as below the building with the random power-ups cycling in between.

5) The graphics are stunning. It's been a long time since someone has released a map as pretty as this one.

Overall - great first job with the map. A few tweaks and I think this could be a really competitive map that people love to play. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more from you

Further edit: Played a 5v5 on this map with decent people. Everyone complained about red / orange being way too close in color to one another. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference (even to non color-blind people) on items like walls. Other people said the base felt too crowded. I like the fact that it's relatively easy to lob into it, though. More people said the map was too deep. Perhaps remove top bomb so low is utilized more.
Thank you and your teamplayers so much for the intensive play and of course the feedback.

1) I'll make it bigger in width (and maybe also in height)

2) When the map got bigger, the temple will also be bigger.

3) The bomb at the top will be removed. So one bomb will be left at the sea. I don't know what to do on top yet. Maybe I can make a hole in the roof, so you can fly into the temple.
Also I didn't bear color-bind in mind, totally forgot that. That's maybe because I'm used to sexy drawn things.

4) The bomb is placed before the trident (Poseidon's weapon). I could make a circle glow to show the item spawn location.

5) Thank you!

And the further edit:
I've the look into base. Spinning the angle, putting some object before the base, removing the giant branch etc.
I'll change the color to Green VS Orange. Purple won't work I think, color-blind and blue background? Sorry, I don't know much which color could be an issue for color-blind peoples.

Last edited by Wing Eraser; 11-04-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
So I played the map and it's pretty fun although small, reminds me a bit of Justice. Anyways adding to my previous post, please make the background a different color than white. I play with paralax off and I'm sure there are others and I'd like to have something easier on the eyes, maybe a beige color.
There is no parallax background. I could make a whole blue background, but I need more feedback about the background.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Eraser View Post
Thank you and your teamplayers so much for the intensive play and of course the feedback.

1) I'll make it bigger in width (and maybe also in height)

2) When the map got bigger, the temple will also be bigger.

3) The bomb at the top will be removed. So one bomb will be left at the sea. I don't know what to do on top yet. Maybe I can make a hole in the roof, so you can fly into the temple.
Also I didn't bear color-bind in mind, totally forgot that. That's maybe because I'm used to sexy drawn things.

4) The bomb is placed before the trident (Poseidon's weapon). I could make a circle glow to show the item spawn location.

5) Thank you!

And the further edit:
I've the look into base. Spinning the angle, putting some object before the base, removing the giant branch etc.
I'll change the color to Green VS Orange. Purple won't work I think, color-blind and blue background? Sorry, I don't know much which color could be an issue for color-blind peoples.
I'm definitely excited to see the new changes. All of them sound good. I can't wait to play it again - it might even be put into the pro league map pool in the future.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
There is no parallax background. I could make a whole blue background, but I need more feedback about the background.
he plays in "/para false" and many players do that i think hes asking for the base background (the one u pick from the editor) to be a different colour from white since very bright backgrouds are very annoying when you play without parallax.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM

What Andy said
Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 AM

Colours look a bit to vivid for me but, beautifull graphic details.
Love the brainrocks
Congrats
Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 AM

Level of detail is incredible. Nicely done.

The download doesn't seem to be working for me, though... the link just goes to a page full of garbled text.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent skies View Post
Level of detail is incredible. Nicely done.

The download doesn't seem to be working for me, though... the link just goes to a page full of garbled text.
Right click - download link filed
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 AM

Still wasn't working. Just went to prose only and downloaded it though. ty for that server mike

One thing comes to my mind immediately for gameplay:

The small little 'alley' created by the space between the branch and the top of the tree is too narrow. It's only just barely the width of an explodet. 'So, don't go in there.' The problem, however, would arise if, say, a power-up or a bomb is accidentally dropped in that space. In such a situation, only a miranda or a loopy/biplane with reverse (and god-like reverse skills, at that) would be able to retrieve the PU/bomb. In my opinion, this area either needs to be significantly widened (at least 2x what it is now), in which case I would suggested moving the leafy area upwards, or, if you don't want to widen it up, then close it off completely, possibly by filling the area in with more leaves.

As for the art, which I cannot stress enough is gorgeous as is anyway, two things come to mind:

1) There is no change in color for the rocks that are above water compared to those that are below water, so one sort of gets the impression that said rocks are on a different plane or something. This could easily be solved by just throwing a translucent blue layer over the rocks that need to be slightly reshaded, I imagine. Additionally, if you translate this blue-translucent layer for a foreground layer in the map editor, then planes entering the water would achieve the same darkening effect.
2) While you do of course want to add your logos for recognition, the way there are now, i.e. very bright and sitting smack-dab in the middle of the right-side tree is actually kind of distracting. If you were willing, I would suggest:
A) Split the two logos between both sides of the maps / both trees
B) Possibly rework the logos into a green/leafy appearance so that they blend into to the trees. Thus, anyone looking at the tree will see your logo quite clearly, but it's not gonna forcefully grab your attention whenever it shows up.

Last edited by silent skies; 11-05-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent skies View Post
Still wasn't working. Just went to prose only and downloaded it though. ty for that server mike

One thing comes to my mind immediately for gameplay:

The small little 'alley' created by the space between the branch and the top of the tree is too narrow. It's only just barely the width of an explodet. 'So, don't go in there.' The problem, however, would arise if, say, a power-up or a bomb is accidentally dropped in that space. In such a situation, only a miranda or a loopy/biplane with reverse (and god-like reverse skills, at that) would be able to retrieve the PU/bomb. In my opinion, this area either needs to be significantly widened (at least 2x what it is now), in which case I would suggested moving the leafy area upwards, or, if you don't want to widen it up, then close it off completely, possibly by filling the area in with more leaves.

As for the art, which I cannot stress enough is gorgeous as is anyway, two things come to mind:

1) There is no change in color for the rocks that are above water compared to those that are below water, so one sort of gets the impression that said rocks are on a different plane or something. This could easily be solved by just throwing a translucent blue layer over the rocks that need to be slightly reshaded, I imagine. Additionally, if you translate this blue-translucent layer for a foreground layer in the map editor, then planes entering the water would achieve the same darkening effect.
2) While you do of course want to add your logos for recognition, the way there are now, i.e. very bright and sitting smack-dab in the middle of the right-side tree is actually kind of distracting. If you were willing, I would suggest:
A) Split the two logos between both sides of the maps / both trees
B) Possibly rework the logos into a green/leafy appearance so that they blend into to the trees. Thus, anyone looking at the tree will see your logo quite clearly, but it's not gonna forcefully grab your attention whenever it shows up.
1) No planning for doing that at the moment.
2) I found a new place, I could adjust the colors a bit so it won't be the bright.
Thanks for the consideration.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM

A new sketch is avaible at: Link
It's an 100% size map, so you can see the full size of the plane and the objects. You may also draw raw lines and send it back to me if you have ideas.

I've thinking of placing the base under water and close the edges. So the players are force the take battle under water. Also you can choose the fly directly from the base into the water, or via the temple or after the temple.

Because the map is pretty large, the bomb spawn at base will return.

Please let me know what you think about the new idea. If I got enough feedback I could start drawing tomorrow and it will be up next monday hopefully.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

that is the most amazing map i have ever seen, period. if that isnt an official map in apl post season, i would be shocked. dude, keep up the good work. that just blew my mind.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

Quote:
It's an 100% size map, so you can see the full size of the plane and the objects. You may also draw raw lines and send it back to me if you have ideas.

I've thinking of placing the base under water and close the edges. So the players are force the take battle under water. Also you can choose the fly directly from the base into the water, or via the temple or after the temple.

Please let me know what you think about the new idea. If I got enough feedback I could start drawing tomorrow and it will be up next monday hopefully.
don't put the base like that... no chance for pro lobbing :[
Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Very nice map, but i find some problems when playing here
1) There is only 1 route to get full hit, which means, if someone place wall here, it will be fully closed.
2)Branches have a lot of places, where bomb can stuck, this makes bomb unable to pick up for everyone except randa.
3)On 2nd version of map i dont see any chance to make easy partial e.g. hit bottom, like it was on 1st variant.

Overall, imo need more routes to make hit.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Yeah, I would move the base back to its original stance. There is nothing wrong with it being exposed to lob bombs -- there will just be someone sitting there with a shield to block it. Since the base can only really be bombed from one side, it's probably a good idea to keep that area relatively open.

Regarding the map's dimensions: I'm sure you've looked into others as reference, but most balanced maps (all of the officials) measure in at around 4000 X 1500 px or less. This one, with the new modifications, will end up at around 4500 X 2000. This may or may not work out, but it's something to keep in mind. If it ends up being too big, you may try shrinking the objects, rather than growing the map to fit them.

Great work so far ^^
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

It does look improved generally - but I do think the base should be at the other side. You can't really lob well with the way it's set up now.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Yeah, I made another failure for the base. It's now 22.13. After a sleep, I'll make something up.
Thanks for the reactions on sketch 2.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 AM

Yeah, i think the base would work better if it was back to the original state. The parthenon is bigger which is great. I think that the far left and right pillars should have the two routes like the first sketch so more bombing routes can be done.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Looks awesome. I know that everyone is saying that, but I need to repeat it. Looks awesome.

I do agree with trendy though that there should be another route for bombing. At the moment taking the wrap-around bottom route would be utterly useless-- it has more turrets, it's a longer route, and it's a tighter squeeze. Maybe if you took out a turret down there and somehow opened it up a bit more to make it into a viable route?

So good though, can't wait to play this
Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Sketch 3 is released: link

Edit: The dimension is now: 4500 x 1760px. Still pretty large in the width. The sketch shows 4500px x 1900px
There will be obstacles in the roof, I'll think something during the painting.

The base has go back to the sketch 1 version. A broken dock which allow to get fully bomb from below if you are able to drop straight up in the hole.

I'd like to hear from you.

Last edited by Wing Eraser; 11-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Looks better although there are a few things i would improve:

- you have both team bomb and neutral bomb, i dont advise that pick one or the other.
- i really like the base now but it isnt protected at all on the front so you could hit it with really far lobs. I would place something like another pillar right infront of it but just make it the base height.
- it seems you could get an easy 10xp low hit which would be too much imo.

The rest is good. maybe add a few turrets. Also 7 items are quite a lot.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Looks better although there are a few things i would improve:

- you have both team bomb and neutral bomb, i dont advise that pick one or the other.
- i really like the base now but it isnt protected at all on the front so you could hit it with really far lobs. I would place something like another pillar right infront of it but just make it the base height.
- it seems you could get an easy 10xp low hit which would be too much imo.

The rest is good. maybe add a few turrets. Also 7 items are quite a lot.
Thanks for the reply andy. It's Saturday, so the most players are sleeping or shopping.

Because it's a big map, it will take a long time the base get destroyed. I'll wait for the others reaction.
Another pillar , before you know the whole dock will collapse.
The bomb drop from beneath was planned orignal. But it will be removed if this is a problem.

Now it's time for the 4th sketch. Some of the issues I wrote are overlooked. The under water seems to big (thanks to XX1 and the testing team). So I made it smaller and moved the rocks.
The dock will not be broken in this version.

link: link
Old 11-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Couple suggestions.
1.Add cover in front of base, like it was on 1st variant.(and like andy says)
2.Maybe make branch a bit lower and add route between tree and branch? Or inside tree?to have chance go around base and hit back.

Ah, and passage in center, bottom of map. Why its soo tight? Passages like this can add some unpredictable bomb runner's moves close to base, like it done in asteroids, but in central part it will be useless imo

Last edited by trendy11one; 11-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy11one View Post
Couple suggestions.
1.Add cover in front of base, like it was on 1st variant.(and like andy says)
2.Maybe make branch a bit lower and add route between tree and branch? Or inside tree?to have chance go around base and hit back.

Ah, and passage in center, bottom of map. Why its soo tight? Passages like this can add some unpredictable bomb runner's moves close to base, like it done in asteroids, but in central part it will be useless imo
1) I'll move the pillar a bit to the right and make it a bit taller.
2) The branch is lower (currently painting), and there will no route between tree and branch.

Haha the passage, I just move the bottom floor and rocks. I forgot the move the brainrock up. Don't pay attention to it.
And thanks for your reply.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Maybe move the pillar so it covers the front of the base and lower the branch a bit so you cant get half map lobs. Also if its a big map theres no need to have a neutral bomb and 2 team bombs, team bombs would work fine imo so to make it a bit faster.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 PM

I mean, maybe add another route? Now it have only one route to make full hit. I thinking about this.
bad pic
Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 PM

I suggest bringing the neutral bomb into the temple with some obstacles thrown in so it's not out in the open.
Also the plane to map object scale looks a bit off in the sketches (planes being way too small). Did you just forget to resize the pictures of the planes?

To clarify: the bottom wraparound bomb route hits for 10 damage, right?

Last edited by [Y]; 11-06-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM

When i played here, 1st variant, someone hit bottom with bomb, it cause 4 dmg